Start by marking “The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)” as Want to Read:
The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)

The Trespasser

(Dublin Murder Squad #6)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  63,184 ratings  ·  6,388 reviews
The bestselling novel by Tana French, author of The Witch Elm, is “required reading for anyone who appreciates tough, unflinching intelligence and ingenious plotting” (The New York Times). She “inspires cultic devotion in readers” (The New Yorker) and is “the most important crime novelist to emerge in the past 10 years” (The Washington Post).

“Atmospheric and unputdownable.
Published October 4th 2016 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about The Trespasser, please sign up.
sublimosa Just finished it, can't quite say I loved it but it was a fantastic experience. It did take me a bit to get into as Antoinette is a deeply negative ch…moreJust finished it, can't quite say I loved it but it was a fantastic experience. It did take me a bit to get into as Antoinette is a deeply negative character. I finally started liking her in chapter 13. Stellar writing, complex and compelling. Reading her books and finishing is like coming out of the movie theater into daylight-you have to readjust to the real world.(less)
Kim I think you would be fine to read any of the murder squad books alone. But I highly recommend them all.

·  63,184 ratings  ·  6,388 reviews

Start your review of The Trespasser (Dublin Murder Squad #6)
Emily May
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tana French is just fantastic.

You know, I actually have very little author loyalty. By that I mean I can easily dislike a book by an author I have previously loved, and vice versa - a second or third chance can lead to a new favourite. But at this point, I feel completely safe going into Tana French's novels. I settle down to read them with such faith in the author because she is so consistently good. For me, I don't have to wonder whether this one will be good, or that one will be good, because
karen
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best mystery/thriller category 2016!

my (very one-sided) love affair with tana french continues. to me, each book in this (loosely connected) series has been better than the one before. however, The Secret Place was a little bit of a hiccup for me in terms of this oft-expressed declaration. it was definitely not better than Broken Harbor (which might be my all-time favorite) - the teenspeak got to me a bit and (view spoiler)
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
So pleased with my reread of this one! I definitely appreciated it more the second time around, and it satiated my police procedural need for the moment. I'm left wondering if she'll come back to the series; based on the ending of this one it could go either way, but I'm unsure who the focus would be on moving forward... All in all, another fab read from Tana French!
carol.
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes police procedurals or character driven stories
What does a star rating mean? Does it mean this is a work of greatness, that deserves to be read by every generation? That each word is empathetically chosen,* each sentence crafted, each paragraph placed with an eye to flow? That through metaphor, symbolism and theme it exposes the reader to some kind of truth? That it inspires a passionate response? That at this moment, I loved it? That it made me happy?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many stars I give The Trespasser. It wrung me
Julie
The Trespasser by Tana French is a 2016 Viking publication.

Sophisticated, breathlessly paced, and absolutely riveting!

Antoinette Conway and her partner Steve Moran are tossed a case involving a young woman named Aislinn, whose body was found after a punch to the face caused her to fall and hit her head, killing her.

Initially believing they’ve been assigned yet another routine case, they soon find themselves burdened with another, more seasoned detective, called in to help them work the case.
Matt
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
While my February binge-read of Tana French has reached its end, these mysteries remain some of the best novels I have read in a long while. They pull key aspects of police procedurals with a dash of Irish charm and leave the reader with a sense of completion, after a drawn-out story and systematic solution. Picking up a few months after The Secret Place, French turns the focus onto Detective Antoinette Conway, who came from a single-parent home and whose mixed-race background left her feeling o ...more
Susanne  Strong
5 stars! (I would give it 10 if I could!)

This is, by far, Tana French's best novel. She drew me in - captured every ounce of me - every fiber of my being and wouldn't let go till I read the very last sentence. Breathless. Heart in my chest. Unable to concentrate on anything but this for days. Work?: An interruption, a bother. Eating? As if. This. Consumed. Me.

French perfects the Irish dialect, her prose is smart and witty. Clever. Extremely funny. I admit that I couldn’t help myself here. I can
Diane S ☔
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back to the Dublin murder squad and a second showing of Detective Antoinette Conway. It seems, however, that I somehow or another neglected to read The Secret Place, so for me this was my introduction to this character. Convinced the entire murder squad is out to do her in, force her out, she has a giant chip on her shoulder. Her partner, seems for most of the book to be a milquetoast, happy to support and follow. A young woman is found dead and the easiest solution doesn't sit well with the two ...more
Dan Schwent
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When a pretty young woman winds up murdered, detectives Conway and Moran catch the case. Her boyfriend looks like a slam-dunk for it but why are they being rushed to book him? And why does Conway think she's met the vic before? Can Conway and Moran get the killer behind bars before the case eats them alive?

Antoinette Conway, second banana from The Secret Place takes center stage in this one. Conway, the odd (wo)man out on the Dublin Murder Squad, trusts no one and suspects everyone. From her tor
Elyse  Walters
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Tana French's very first book, "In The Woods", one of my favorite characters was named Rob Ryan. I'm clear I'm not alone with a special soft spot for Ryan. For one thing...he was the narrator. His partner was a woman named Cassie Maddox. They were a great duo --- but what was so impressive was that Tana was so good at writing a 'male voice' --you'd swear a man wrote it. In her next book, "The Likeness", Cassie Maddox becomes the narrator-( it took me several pages to get use to a female narra ...more
Nataliya
There are books I rely on to get me through tough spots in life. When things get to be too much, when nerves are strung so tight that they are about to snap, when exhausted cynicism threatens to take over and it feels that the world is ready to punch and bite, and the mind runs in tighter and tighter circles and it feels like you are your own worst enemy. You know, those thorny spots in life when you need something to shake you out of it and bring some color to the greyness of the day.

The Trespa
Frances
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5* The Trespasser is an in depth story with considerable detail on police procedural while attempting to solve a murder. Detective Antoinette Conway has been assigned a case along with her partner Steve, which could easily be just a domestic dispute or as Conway is hoping, a full blown serial killer on the loose; something she can really sink her teeth into. She has become quite paranoid lately in the department as other squad members pull mean pranks and are leaking sensitive case details she ...more
Luffy
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book somewhat despite the usual hard-boiled approach to writing that French takes. I guess my rating is 3.5. This book is like the window pane to a chic shop. An ultra-cleaned pane where you can see through very well, but you're aware of the glass all the time.

I guess the author's take on death is what drove me to read this book quickly. I paused reading for some days, but still it's a page turner. I loved the ability of the book to be readable despite the fact that I didn't read an
James Thane
This is an excellent police procedural and, to my mind, Tana French's best book yet. At its center is Detective Antoinette Conway who is new to the Dublin Murder Squad and who has gotten a very cool reception. Many of her new mates actively dislike her; she's subjected to continued harassment, and she's assigned a lot of crap cases.

The pattern seems to be continuing one morning when she and her partner, Stephen Moran, are assigned a new case that appears to be open and shut. An attractive young
Linda
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
All you Tana French fans out there, I'm late to the party. Yes, "The Trespasser" is my introduction to The Dublin Murder Squad Series.

The Sue Grafton alphabet series is as close to a detective novel as I've gotten. Actually, you could say that "The Trespasser" does not fit into any genre that I usually read. So, in many ways, reading it has been an adventure for me. Am I glad I journeyed down a new road? Yes.

Ms. French's plot was very well written. It was like sitting in front of my TV, seeing e
L.A. Starks
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Tana French is so much at the top of her game I could rate this book six or seven stars. The Trespasser is her best yet, in a career of superb books.

Her ear for dialogue is pitch-perfect. Her protagonist is a tough, unapologetic detective to whom we could listen forever.

The case illustrates loyalty, joy in job (way too rare in books), suspense, the need for and danger of living inside one's head, and character trajectory scenes that sparkle in unexpected ways.

The Trespasser will make readers hop
Brenda
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed all of Tana French's previous books, and I enjoyed this one, too! This book stars Antoinette Conway and her partner Steve Moran, who were previously featured in The Secret Place. This time, Conway is the lead detective.

A young woman is found dead in her home. Evidence isn't really pointing in any particular direction. Conway and Moran come up with multiple theories, and it seems like they are being pushed toward one by a third detective, Breslin, who was also assigned to the case.

Co
Meredith
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Dozens and dozens of people, they just keep coming, and every single one of their heads is crammed with stories they believe and stories they want to believe and stories someone else has made them believe…”

The Trespasser is about the stories that we create. We sometimes believe in these stories so much that they become our truths. When we get wrapped up in these stories, we fail to see the cracks and dangers, blurring the lines between fantasy and reality.

When she was a child, Antoin
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
May 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: on-hold
Finally! Hearing so much greatness about this author, and from what I've read so far it's easy to see why!
*fingers X'd*
Taryn
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Antoinette Conway had always dreamed of being on the murder squad, but she's burnt out after two years of unchallenging domestic cases and merciless harassment from her own squad mates. One morning, the gaffer hands her and her partner Stephen Moran the case of twenty-six-year-old murder victim Aislinn Murray. There's outside pressure to charge the victim's boyfriend and wrap up the case quickly, but not all the pieces are fitting together. It has all the attributes of a lover's spat gone wrong, ...more
Lyn
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Grand.

Readers of mysteries and observers of crimes and interviews have witnessed some brilliant interviews between a detective / prosecutor / cross examiner and a suspect over the course of time. The classic example is the confrontation between Raskolnikov and Porfiry in Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment. The witness stand drama between Jack Nicholson and Tom Cruise in A Few Good Men also comes to mind. There have been several 60 Minutes interviews also that have captured an audience and caused
Joe Valdez
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Trish
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel in the Tana French series about Irish murder detective Antoinette Conway is universally loved and considered among her best in a long line of terrific mystery novels. Why? There is little action in this novel. It is a novel of psychologies and pathologies.

The writing brings us deeply into the internal politics of a murder squad and expresses the difficulty of a woman operating in a rough environment hung with grisly soul-destroying murders. The male camaraderie inside the squad means
Ashley
September 2020 Re-read: Short review for a book that has too much to talk about for me without writing a dissertation. I just find Antoinette Conway to be such an interesting narrator, and I love the way French plays off Conway's weaknesses with the murder of Aislinn Murray. I had actually forgotten almost everything about this book, except how thorny Conway was as a narrator, and how her paranoia (view spoiler).

I had also forgotten how angry Co
Gary
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 6th book in the Dublin Murder Squad series by author Tana French but they can honestly be read as stand alone's and in any order.
I have already read the previous 5 books in the series and thoroughly enjoyed them so it was no real surprise that yet again I was in awe of Tana French. I knew very early on that I was going to like this book, the characters are exceptionally developed and the plot expertly paced, feeding you glimpses of the truth and more than a few red herrings.
This nove
Elle (ellexamines)
Tana French’s The Trespasser follows Antoinette Conway, a jaded detective on the murder squad. After all the excitement of her initial job transplant, she’s dealt with near-constant racist and sexist harassment, and essentially only worked on basic domestic cases, which she and her partner Stephen close quickly and cleanly.

The death of Aislinn Murray at first seems like a clear cut case: she was preparing for a romantic dinner with a boyfriend, Rory, the likely suspect. The boyfriend, after all
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
I am ashamed to admit that this is my first Tana French novel. I have heard and read such great things about her and so I jumped at the chance to read and review “The Trespasser”.

At 449 pages this is not a quick read, but at no time did I think there was any part of the story that should or could be shortened. Ms. French’s characters are very well described and I loved getting to know Antoinette Conway, the female detective in an otherwise male dominated department. She is the only detective tha
Emma
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
While i've enjoyed a few of Tana French's books before, I hadn't been blown away till I read this one. It is just so beautifully crafted that it must be considered part of the new, more literary crime fiction hitting the market right now. The first time you meet Antoinette Conway, you might doubt this. She's... how do I put it... real? Not afraid to speak her mind. A little bit of an attitude, maybe? But endlessly interesting and someone you want to work with to find out whodunnit, as a reader a ...more
Tatiana
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
(view spoiler)

Another winner from Tana French.
Diane
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.

Tana French has been my go-to author when I was stuck in a reading rut, and now that I've finished the latest novel in her Dublin Murder Squad series, I'm feeling a bit adrift. I was so caught up in the story of Detective Antoinette Conway and her partner Stephen that I didn't want "The Trespasser" to end.

Besides the actual murder case the pair are trying to solve — which had so many good twists and turns that I stayed up late to finish this book and find out what happened —

• Faithful Place by Tana French Summary and Study Guide
  • All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • The Glass Hotel
  • The Turn of the Key
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Guest List
  • Big Sky (Jackson Brodie, #5)
  • Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)
  • The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1)
  • One by One
  • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
  • The Dutch House
  • Lady in the Lake
  • The Hunting Party
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
  • When Will There Be Good News? (Jackson Brodie, #3)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
Tana French is the New York Times bestselling author of In the Woods, The Likeness, Faithful Place, Broken Harbor, The Secret Place, The Trespasser and The Witch Elm. Her books have won awards including the Edgar, Anthony, Macavity and Barry Awards, the Los Angeles Times Award for Best Mystery/Thriller, and the Irish Book Award for Crime Fiction. She lives in Dublin with her family.

Dublin Murder Squad (6 books)
  • In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)
  • The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2)
  • Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad #3)
  • Broken Harbor (Dublin Murder Squad, #4)
  • The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad #5)