Start by marking “Confluence (Linesman, #3)” as Want to Read:
Confluence (Linesman, #3)

Confluence

(Linesman #3)

From the national bestselling author of Alliance, linesman Ean Lambert finds himself caught in a dangerous fight for political power...
The lines. Mysterious yet familiar: the key to controlling every ship in the galaxy. Once they were thought of as tools, but since linesman Ean Lambert discovered strange new lines in an alien vessel, they have become so much more—symbols
Published November 29th 2016 by Ace Books

To ask other readers questions about Confluence, please sign up.
Manon Van l Yes, I would recommend it. You won't understand anything from later books without knowledge from the former ones.

Start your review of Confluence (Linesman, #3)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Nefarious grey cells status: on strike (both of them).
Creativity level: abysmal.
Ability to stare at the blinking cursor on my screen: unlimited.

Just so you know, it took me more than half an hour to come up with these ↑↑ three miserable, pathetic lines. Fun, moderately erratic times ahead and stuff.

Just spent another half hour looking for an “Insert brain to continue” gif but couldn’t find one. At this rate, my great great great grandshrimps will have great great grandshrimps by the time I finis
Justine
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favourite SF series this year. No question.

There are so many things I love about this series, and Confluence does not disappoint. The usual political maneuvers continue as the war between Gate Union and the New Alliance heats up, and the level of action remains high. This book continues with Ean as a POV character (and honestly, he is so darn likeable I just never tire of him), and gives the second POV to Radko (FINALLY!). In the previous two books the other POV characters have been interest
Veronique
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to re-read the last instalment - too enticing :O)
I sincerely hope the authors do come back to these beloved characters and universe. There is still much that could be explored, least of all where are the aliens and what decimated them... In the meantime, I really need to read their new series!

-----
Another brilliant book!

We follow once more our favourite Line Twelve Ean, sharing his time interacting with the alien ships, who are becoming more and more impatient to have their own crew, trainin
Lindsay
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An ending (for now?) of this series. The story reaches an adequate stopping point but there's far more to tell in this universe and with these characters.

The New Alliance and Gate Union are at war. Redmond are acting as a third party in this that neither side really trusts. Actions of Emperor Yu, Crown Princess Michelle's father, bring change to the New Alliance and split Michelle from her loyal Admiral, and Ean away from Radko who he's come to depend on more and more. The efforts by the New All
Lata
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I love this series and its protagonist Ean and the sentient ships. And this time we get to see Radko off on a covert mission, and now we get to see why Michelle and Abrams had her guarding Ean, and interpreting him to others. She's highly skilled and pretty dangerous. I liked her team, with their individual strengths and issues.
The politicking continues in this third book of this trilogy, and you really have to understand the delicate situation between Lancia, the New Alliance and Ga
Amanda
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

I really hope there are more books to come in this world. Such a good series.
Kathleen
Dan
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Quite good. The whole series is.
Kara Babcock
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spoilers for the first two books but not this one, except maybe a minor not-quite spoiler at the very end.

Hey, SyFy executives who totally spend their time reading some rando’s reviews on Goodreads when they should be doing Important Executive Things™: you need to option the Linesman series and develop it for TV like you did with The Expanse. You did a really good job with The Expanse, by the way; I’m back on board the SyFy train after those few rocky years. I think you’d do Linesman justice, an
Anne - Books of My Heart
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7arcs, 2016
Review and author guest post at The Book Nympho:

icon outofthisworld   icon scifi

I got the first book in this series as part of my first Ace Roc star package and I knew from reading the blurb I would love it.  I did and I have continued to love this series.  Of course, it is space opera and I'm renewing my love affair with space opera the past two years.

Read the Linesman series in order, the story builds with each book. Each of the three books is different in the feel.  Lin
Beth
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a much better way to round out my reading year and a fabulous finish to a trilogy I love. I still can't believe my luck, stumbling across the first book in a used book store because it's one of my favorite sci-fi/space opera universes.

A warning: if you're already invested in these books, don't start this one until you're ready to read to completion because holy cow, what a ride. I had trouble putting it down, even for things like sleeping or work. I was thrilled to find the book told fr
Jacque
I’m not rehashing what the story is about except to say, if you are picking Confluence before reading any other books in the series, stop. Don’t. Put it down now. This is NOT a series that can be read out of order. Each book builds on each other and there is no nice neat prologue to bring you up to speed. You either start the series from the beginning, or take your chances with being lost. For now I’m just going to hit on what I really enjoyed.

Ean, oh boy. He had me worried there for a moment. I
Melody
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy
Best one yet

So there I was on a Monday night, snuggling into my blankets, congratulating myself on being in bed by midnight when lo, my phone lights up with a Kindle notification.

What's this?

The new Linesman book came out?

.... Oh look, it's 04:00 and that was a gloriously satisfying book.

Dunstall is one of my favorite sci-fi authors and I adore them with all my heart.

Ean is so naive and earnest it is physically painful.

The book had my heart in my throat.

I am so glad about everything.

Rossi is st
Meera
I tried to not get through all three books in one month but I couldn’t do it. This was a fun ending to the trilogy. I approved of Radko getting her own POV and plot line. I might have liked her more than Lambert in this. It was a good adventure with a lot of political intrigues and ending well. Maybe there will be another one I hope.
Aviva
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
So at first I thought it was a trilogy but not with this ending, I don’t think so. I mean intergalactic war! The cutest possibilities around the ship ( not the sentient ships, the romance ship).
But since the last one was published in 2016, not sure I should get my hopes up for a fourth book :(
Hank
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars just barely rounded up. How is the writing getting worse? This one feels like it was rushed out the door. If the first one wasn't so good, this might have been a DNF. Still love the world and ideas, the characters are starting to behave oddly. Fergus seems to have been three completely different characters in each of the three books. Ean floats between a competent geek and an unbelievably naive idiot.

I don't think I am going to read another one (if there ever is another one) unless som
Val Booklover
Excellent third and last book of this trilogy.

It has everything! Great characters that have personalities, are well developed and consistent. Still love Ean. More so. The plot is dense with politics and intrigue, but at the same time fun and full of action. The twist on the "sentient ships" trope is original. And the subtle, almost subliminal romance is a plus. All this combines to form a solid, enjoyable, fun read.

I look forward to read more from this author!
Martha
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This kept me up late for two nights wanting to finish – but knowing I would be sorry when it ended!

The Emperor of Lancia, Michelle’s father, is putting pressure on her to strengthen the position of Lancia over the New Alliance. Trying to force compliance, Emperor Yu has announced the betrothal of Michelle to further his own goals. His manipulations are cause for consternation to Michelle and Abram who are trying to maintain the fragile balance in the New Alliance. Yu has also told Ean’s usual b
Minh
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It wasn't until we were deprived of Radko that I suddenly realised how much love I have for Radko! More action packed than the previous novels, Lancia is stepping up and is forefront in the plotline. Emperor Yu is determined for Lancia to take it's rightful place in the New Alliance by forging engagements for Michelle and Radko to force new allies. As a result, Radko is sent away on covert ops and Ean alone without his normal protection as they continue to learn more and more about the lines.

Th
Jamie Rich
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Confluence (Linesman #3) by S.K. Dunstall

And now the penny really drops!

In the final book in th series, we may think we know who's on first, but someone kept changing the bases! We have a byzantium style plot that includes staling a flat of ships, betrayal at the highest level, and the angst of separation.
Ean has his work cut out for him, but who can he really trust?
Juliana
This is my favorite series of 2017. Love love love!
Drew Doll
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story

I love, love, love this series. It gets better with every book. This bookmarklet up Ean and Radko and the back-and-forth of the POV's really kept me on the edge of my seat. Plenty of action and near-disastrous scrapes, I loved every minute. I am devastated to know I'll have to wait a while for the next book in the series.
Gena
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
It was a little bittersweet to read this book. I loved the first two and thoroughly enjoyed this one. The bittersweet comes with knowing this is the last one :) Ean shows his growth here and Radko is great. Although the authors tried to include a little backstory so it could be standalone, it really should be read after the first two.
Harald Koch
Back to the quality and interest of the first book. And I guess I'm used to the weird narrative style in which you really have to work and pay attention to figure out what's happening :)
Lilia Visser
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites
Worth the reading all the way to the end.

SK Dunstall is now one of my favorite authors.
Diane Gronas
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
A great trilogy that hints at a 4th book! In this intriguing world, Linesmen have psychic connections to the power lines of alien ships. A likeable cast grows familiar, trusting bonds as they battle a shifting sea of multi-world alliances amid power grabbing schemers. The attention to behavior and environmental details instill life to make it real. Lies, deception, and numerous characters used as pawns were a challenge to keep straight and had me snoozing often, but I would plow on through until ...more
Snowleesi
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Probably the best sci-fi series I've read. Literally "unputdownable"! Humankind colonized vast portions of the Galaxy by employing alien technology found on a damaged alien ship. Interstellar travel is only possible by employing the alien system of "lines". Only some people can detect and fix those lines, among them Ean, who is the only one who can hear the lines and communicate with them by singing. If you love somewhat sentient ships, Game Of Thrones-like political intrigue, you will LOVE this ...more
Oliver
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I really enjoyed this series and the idea of the lines, there were too many times that my suspension of disbelief was pushed too far. Sometimes it was the plotting, sometimes the characterisation and sometimes technical aspects. None of them were huge things but I can't help feeling that a little more critical editing and perhaps some scientific/technical input would make these books better.
Melissa Jane
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The third and final, I hope not, book in the linesman series is well worth the time spent reading it. Kudos to the author for actually having a better third book than the previous ones. Not that it was bad, oh no! I adored this series and I can honestly say that this is one of the best space opera series that I've read. Highly recommended for science fiction fans interested in a good read that is unique enough to keep anyone throughout the entire trilogy.
Patchwork Cat
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Third in the Linesman series featuring Ean Lambert. Still think the first in the series is the best, found book 2 and 3 to be a bit bogged down by the politics. This one is super enjoyable because we finally get to see a bit more into Radko's POV.

I look forward to more adventures in this series, here's hoping we get them.

PS. Rossi is an ass....more of an ass
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Forbidden Stars
  • The Dreaming Stars (Axiom, #2)
  • Driving the Deep (Finder Chronicles, #2)
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Edges (Inverted Frontier #1)
  • Voice of Mars (Starship's Mage, #3)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Hand of Mars (Starship's Mage, #2)
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Starship's Mage: Omnibus (Starship's Mage, #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Sword of Mars (Starship's Mage, #7)
  • The Wrong Stars (Axiom, #1)
  • The Quantum Garden (The Quantum Evolution #2)
  • Mountain of Mars (Starship's Mage, #8)
  • A Bad Deal for the Whole Galaxy (The Salvagers #2)
  • The Quantum Magician (The Quantum Evolution, #1)

Linesman (3 books)
  • Linesman (Linesman, #1)
  • Alliance (Linesman, #2)

News & Interviews