Start by marking “Odessa Sea (Dirk Pitt, #24)” as Want to Read:
Odessa Sea (Dirk Pitt, #24)

Odessa Sea

(Dirk Pitt #24)

The new Dirk Pitt® adventure from the #1 New York Times–bestselling author.

A desperate attempt in 1917 to preserve the wealth and power of the Romanov Empire. A Cold War bomber lost with a deadly cargo. Mysterious deaths on the Black Sea linked to modern-day smugglers of nuclear materials.
  At the center of it all is Dirk Pitt and his team from NUMA. As the danger esc
Published November 15th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Odessa Sea, please sign up.
Minga Dotson This is a standalone book, even though there are occasional references to things that happened in other books it does not distract or detract from…moreThis is a standalone book, even though there are occasional references to things that happened in other books it does not distract or detract from this story.
(less)
Rebecca The synopsis is correct in giving the date as 1917. The first part of the story is set in 1917. The main body of the novel is set in 2017, so you are…moreThe synopsis is correct in giving the date as 1917. The first part of the story is set in 1917. The main body of the novel is set in 2017, so you are also correct. I could see how the synopsis is a bit misleading, but it follows the usual Cussler standard of one or two historical events setting up the main body of the novel.(less)

Jim
The first Clive Cussler novel I read was Raise the Titanic! when I was much younger. I have read a couple of his other books in years since then and I saw this book had a good rating (4+ stars on both Goodreads and Amazon) as well as some good reviews so I put a hold request in at my local library. I wanted to like this book. I really did. However, the further I got into the book the harder it got to give this a positive rating. As I was reading it reminded me of a Indiana Jones wannabe, a littl ...more
Stephanie
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: clive-cussler
Sigh. I don't know. I love Pitt and Giordano, but I am not sure how much longer I can tolerate the lazy writing behind them. This book read like a giant circle-jerk between Cussler and and his son, Dirk. I think, in fact, that Dirk must have written separate chapters and as a result it was repetitious in plot. To top it off it was unnecessarily long with needless characters and a sad trombone of an ending. The banter between Dirk and Al was non-existent. And, what was the deal with Perlmutter ga ...more
Kathy Davie
Twenty-fourth in the Dirk Pitt action thriller series and revolving around Dirk, the director of NUMA, an oceanographic research organization.

My Take
There's plenty of action what with all the diving the Pitts and Giordano do looking for shipwrecks (of all kinds), the hijackings, the terrorist acts that make use of the seas, chase scenes that are mostly on the water with the occasional step onto shore (or boat!). And it's certainly thrilling with all the planned bombings of cities throughout the
Skip
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Dirk Pitt, director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency (NUMA) and his sidekick Al Giordino, are in the Black Sea on a turquoise ship, looking for a lost Ottoman shipwreck, when they responds to an urgent mayday call. The two barely escape with their lives, with the crew of the sinking ship faring worse. Sound familiar? If so, that's how almost all Cussler's books start. Lots of explosions, subterfuge, kidnappings, weapons smuggling, underwater and on water disasters, lost gold, etc. So ...more
Tom Dooley
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I have read a lot of Mr. Cusslers books but this just didn't provide the spark. You have two story lines going on and neither of them have to do with the other. Plus all the jumping back and forth is tough to follow. I didn't really like that The action don't start till the end either. Hopefully his next us better.
Glen
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This latest book in the Dirk Pitt series starts off with not one, but two short historical vignettes related to Russia and the Black Sea.

Dirk Pitt and crew are minding their own business when they become involved with a pair of Europol police on the hunt for arms smugglers, which leads to a conspiracy to nuke Russia.

Concurrently, Dirk Jr. and Summer are minding their own business, when they get sucked into a Russian efforts to salvage gold and destroy all copies of a treaty the Romanovs signed w
Mike
Sep 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Afraid the narration and the comfortable predictability of a Dirk Pitt novel caused me to drift away from the plot on occaision. a Bit of a twist for the villains at the end, though.

Submitted as Seasonal Reading Challenge Winter 2017 (-slash-2018) Task 30.6A: 25 or more distinct (Goodreads) works; 954: 06 JAN
Mike French
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#24 in a very enjoyable and entertaining series! If like Dirk Pitt and the characters of NUMA, you will enjoy this book!
Gerald Kubicki
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another good book by the Cussler crew. A quick read.
Lori  Rubin
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 strong stars!

I love a good adventure story. With authors like James Rollins, Wilbur Smith, Tom Clancy (the earlier works when he was actually writing his own books), and Clive Cussler, I know I'm in for thrilling, action filled adventure that will be a page turner throughout. With Cussler, you know what you'll get- a sunken ship (or plane or train) from many years ago on which is something important, political intrigue that eventually crosses paths with said sunken vessel, and lots of action.

I
Shaun
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading the reviews for this book, I don’t know how it has a four-star rating. It seems like the consensus is two stars, and that’s what I’m giving it. I thought the last two or three books in the series, Poseidon’s Arrow and Crescent Dawn and Havana Storm, were let-downs, sharp drop offs for what I was used to from Cussler, and I attributed it to Cussler probably having written very little of them himself.

This is why I hate authors co-writing books. They may just sit down with the other writer,
Ian
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Like many Cussler readers, I'm one who has ready most of them. And everyone involving the original hero, Dirk Pitt. It was Cussler's Pitt who drew many of us into reading the adventure/suspense genre. But I feel this one is a let down to those that have gone before. The dynamic duo of Pitt and Al Giordino have stood still and Dirk Cussler, the new writer, hasn't really developed them anymore. Certainly, Pitt is now the Director of NUMA, but he's still fundamentally the same.

But I can live with
Roopkumar Balachandran
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
It is February 1917, Black Sea as Russian Imperial Navy ship Kerch is under attack in Odessa by Ottoman warships. The ship is overwhelmed soon and obliterated Kerch sinks. The story then jumps to April 1955, as Tupolev Tu-4 carrying deadly cargo crashes on the Black Sea killing all. Present time and now our hero Dirk Pitt receives a mysterious Mayday signal from Crimean Star. When Pitt and Al reaches the spot they find all the crew except one dead with a foul odor in the air. Trouble finds Pitt, ...more
Joanne
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give this more stars, I really did. I've been a Dirk Pitt fan for decades but this one was wearing thin for me. It's been years since I've read a Pitt novel due to the sameness of them. Since I've been gone, everyone seems to have produced a son named Dirk :)
There was plenty of action and some Bondish scenes of high improbability but I think this all suffered in the long run for going on way too long. I think I'm good for a few more years with this series, just felt like checking in
Don
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
A weaker entry in the Dirk Pitt series. The biggest problem was the main villain was under-developed and uninteresting. The villain in the Dirk, Jr. & Summer story line was much more fun, but their plot didn't really seem to have a point. The action scenes were good, though.
Ryan Hillis
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dirk Pitt saves the day in this excellent thriller!!
Hannah
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Continuing my streak of reading easy books while having a new born! Easy, fluffy, fun reading. :)

Read for popsugar 2018 prompt:
A book set at sea
Alan
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
I never ever thought that I would ever give such a low rating or have such a low opinion of a book as this one. This book was not written by Clive at all, but must have been totally written by his son; "Dirk". The writing was poorly written, the story line did not flow well, and the total lack of missing the usual banter between the characters is appalling as those bits of comedic comradery is what made the stories so good to read. I use to buy a Clive Cussler novel and read through it in the ve ...more
Gerard
Apr 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I guess it's good if you like this type of thing, but it's like watching reruns of a schlocky TV serial ... character finds self in impossible position, MacGuyers / toughs his way out of it. Wash, rinse, repeat. Characters like sufficient individuality / depth for me to care about them. Gave up after three CD disks.
Rbucci
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
In general, I love these books. It was nice to catch up with the characters, but it was too all over the place with them - to many stories in one small book.
Garry Thompson
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Lately, I have been disappointed in the Dirk Pitt series. Maybe it's time to move on to another author. This book was very predictable. Makes me wonder why I finished it.
Sharon
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I realized there was a Dirk Pitt I hadn't read, can't let that continue. Done! But maybe I'm done with old Dirk. There were so many bad guys in this one that I needed a score sheet. Not that I'm looking for an intellectual challenge when I read these but really? I sure hope there's no more old atomic bombs sitting at the bottom of the sea for all and sundry to discover.

Not the worst book I've ever read but definitely not the best.
Wenzel Roessler
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes Cussler's Dirk Pitt series is formula driven and that takes away some of the mystery, yet it somehow still works. This book has two new characters for this story, officers from Bulgaria, and when the story features them it is very refreshing. Oh look, a Summer and Dirk Jr plot, groan!
Megan
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
It is clear Cussler books are too formulaic when it takes until the epilogue to realize I've read this one before! The book are good adventures but clearly not very memorable.
Tom
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent story, surely among the best pitts!
Christina
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
My first Clive Cussler. Not something I would generally pick up, but I was in Arizona and thought it about time that I get to know one of the State’s own authors. And also, I’ve been wanting to meet Dirk Pitt for years.
I had a friend who used to be terribly in love with Dirk. She would tell me about him all the time, and we would laugh at her shameless admiration of his manliness. In the past year, I have read some amazing literary characters, but it was time for an over-the-top/adventurous her
Minx
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic as always but a bit tame.
Tom Tischler
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pitt the director of the National Underwater and Marine Agency is in the Black Sea helping
to locate a lost Ottoman shipwreck when he responds to an urgent "Under Attack" mayday.
When he and his colleague Al Giordino arrive there is nobody there just dead bodies and a
sulfur smell. As they explore a blast from the stern scuttles the ship and almost takes them
with it. The more they search for the secret of the death ship the more they descend into an
extraordinary series of discoveries. A desperate
Tracey S Choat
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better books

I'm a long time fan of Cussler's books. I read them all and some of them more than once. This book reminds me of his older first books. Great action and adventure.
David
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
As usual, a great read by a remarkable author. If you don't know him, might take a few minutes. NUMA, recovered shipwrecks, etc. ... he's done it and writes about such matters with modest authority.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 3 12 Jan 05, 2018 06:35PM

• The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
  • The Lightning Stones (Philip Mercer, #8)
  • A Dubious Crime (Colton Banyon Mysteries, #9)
  • A Templar's Apprentice (Tormod Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Survivor (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #10.5)
  • Icefire
  • The Atlantis Prophecy (Conrad Yeats Adventure #2)
  • Valley of Kings (TombQuest, #3)
  • Savage (Chess Team Adventure, #6)
  • Mirage by Clive Cussler - Reviewed
  • Lost City of the Templars (Templar, #8)
  • Such Men Are Dangerous
  • The Valley of Shadows (Derek Stillwater, #4)
  • Red Cell (Kyra Stryker & Jonathan Burke, #1)
  • The Curse of Medusa (Joe Hawke #4)
  • Without Options (Jake Adams International Espionage Thriller #7)
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

Dirk Pitt (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Pacific Vortex! (Dirk Pitt, #1)
  • The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt, #2)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Raise the Titanic! (Dirk Pitt, #4)
  • Vixen 03 (Dirk Pitt, #5)
  • Night Probe! (Dirk Pitt, #6)
  • Deep Six (Dirk Pitt, #7)
  • Cyclops (Dirk Pitt, #8)
  • Treasure (Dirk Pitt, #9)
  • Dragon (Dirk Pitt, #10)