Start by marking “Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, Volume 1 (Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, #1)” as Want to Read:

Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, Volume 1

(Psycho Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami #1)

In this prequel to the hit science fiction crime drama anime series, Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami reveals how the legendary Enforcer was once an ace detective! Working within the city-regulating Sybil System, Inspectors must fight crime in a future where a single number measures your criminal tendencies and determines if you are useful to society!

An artificial orga
Published November 29th 2016 by Dark Horse Manga (first published October 10th 2014)

Start your review of Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, Volume 1 (Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, #1)
Yodamom
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Great illustrations, easy to read emotions.
Interesting to see the prequel, and the back story. I found some of the dialog hard to figure out who was saying what a few times. I prefer the anime to the manga myself it just didn't have the same fun level.
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

Okay, so first things first. Psycho-Pass is probably one of my favourite animes of all time. Also, I had no idea that they were creating a prequel manga.

I have personally never read a manga before. I know...*shame* *shame* *shame*

It took a hot minute to get used to reading backwards, but once I did, I was super happy to get back into the world of Psycho-Pass! However, as excited as I was to jump back into this amazing futuristic world, I found the storyline to be a tad
Mir
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is listed as a prequel and I think might have worked better if I had read/watched whatever it is a prequel to, because I found the setting a bit confusing. That may well have been due to external distractions during reading, however. The story seemed solid enough and I plan to continue.

If you leave the final s off the title whilst searching goodreads you get an interesting selection of foreign-language novels.
Laura D
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Woo Psycho-Pass in manga form! If you like the awesome anime then you'll probably like this. Not as good as the anime but still good.
Selena
This is a prequel to the show Psycho Pass, one focusing on Shinya Kogami while he was an inspector rather than an Enforcer, tracking down people based on their Psycho-Pass numbers and trying to stop Psycho-Hazards. If all of that sounds like weird code words without much meaning, that's because you haven't seen Psycho Pass. While you might be okay reading this without watching the anime thanks to a crash course on the titular Psycho-Pass, much of the world and ramifications that were covered in ...more
mayday
Psycho Pass' prequel. m&c published the comic according to its timeline but apparently never finished publishing this one T^T ...more
Tori ✼
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I'm a huge fan of the anime (and of the movie) so I was very happy when my friend offered this to me. Having only two days to finish my challenge, I'm turning toward mangas because I doubt I'll have time to read anything else.
This first volume was quite interesting. As usual, the police intrigue was well built, I kept wondering who was behind the stolen organs. I also very much enjoyed discovering new characters and seeing old ones such as Ginoza, Masaoka (Love him)or even Akane (even though ju
Hali
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never know how to rate manga, and as such, my three stars is subject to change, but I think that rating is pretty close to where it should be, for me.
I liked this manga, but had some minor issues with it.

It's interesting to see a slice of Kogami's life as an Inspector, and the art is well done.
I feel the story moves perhaps a little too quickly, but, considering everything the manga is attempting to say and all the characters being introduced in a short 160 pages, I guess that's how it must be
Dani
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachelle
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book #110 for the year 2020.

Its the future and food is Hyper-Oats and nothing real or organic. Crime is contained for the most part by monitoring people's emotional states. The Inspectors and Enforcers of the Public Safety Bureau are charged with justice and taking care of outbreaks. These are their files. (sorry... couldn't help myself). There is a problem with artificial kidneys that have numbers stamped on them. And time is running out for some people.
Devvy
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't really something I was into and that upsets me because I was SO excited to watch the anime on Netflix but I think I'm gonna pass on this one. Sometimes the plot was really hard to follow and the characters were pretty bland as well. Doesn't even come close to GITS like other people suggest it does...
Jesse Annoh
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great adaptation of the show. Anyone who watches the show probably hungers to know about Kogami's past. This is an appetizer for those who have been waiting. This shows him as an inspector, officially taking the lead on cases. It also has some fan favorites. I highly recommend reading this!
Renee
This series is a fantastic, futuristic sci-fi action drama set in a world where citizens need to fall within a specific range of psychological, physical and emotional ratings called their “Psycho-Pass” or be deemed harmful to society. With spectacular art, you’ll be on the edge of your seat as you follow Inspector Shinya Kogami in his early days of working in this gritty, unforgiving future.
Jeanette Diaz Michel
It's definitely interesting to see more of this futuristic world in which Japan is run by the Sibyl system. There's more insights to flaws in the system as well as to characters we already know and including a cast of brand new characters.
Elizabeth Brush
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so good. so freaking good. the artwork, the story, the characters. SO. GOOD.
Phoebe
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read November 8, 2017.
Samantha
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I enjoyed this as a prequel to the Psycho-Pass anime and I am curious as to how everything is going to turn out in the further volumes.
Martha
Perhaps jumping right to the prequel was a bad idea, but I couldn't get invested in the people or the story. The concept is fantastic, but that was really the only joy I took from v1.
Aly
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
4.5, exciting beginning to a psycho-pass mystery.
Blue
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Just okay... I heard great things but there wasn't a great deal going on plot wise. Hopefully the rest of the series gets better
Beatriz López
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Read for the Magical Readathon: Divination exam 🔮🔮🔮
Ester
Its a reread and it was okay
Hale
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow at first but it got rather interesting after the first chapter.
Beautifully illustrated and fast paced with memorable characters. A nice addition to the original anime.
Jordan
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I love the anime, so I picked this up. Somehow I didn't pay attention to the fact that it was a prequel though so I spent the beginning being confused about what was going on. Whoops, my bad.
Elsa
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-gn
Kogami seems so passive, though.
Ruthsic
I have not seen the Psycho Pass anime yet, so my review of this prequel book would be wholly pertaining to this manga only. What I gathered from the short intro to the dystopian world is that there are methods to gauge criminal activity and that determines a person's worth in society. The officers of the Public Safety Bureau are like the police, in that they investigate and apprehend latent criminals - but there is a hierarchy within them - Inspectors, who are like the bosses and Enforcers, prev ...more
Charles
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
My first experience with manga. It reads like a dime store novel. Fast-paced, pulpy, awkward writing, minimal character development.
Reksoprodjo
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy the prelude of Kougami's days when he was still an Inspector. The manga clearly shows that he has the capabilities of becoming a good detective, yet in the end his emotions and bonds toward his closed ones shut him off from displaying his true justice. He may have more negative view of a broken world, which simply puts him as a realist, and that's why I love this perception of his. Because in the end, wanting a perfect world is but just a fleeting dream; he knows this way too wel ...more
Angela Burkhead
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this story... it started off a bit slow but by the end I was really looking forward to the next!

I had a few issues with having no idea who was speaking at times and that was really frustrating and for some reason a lot of dialogue by one person was separated into two bubbles and ellipses in between when they really didn't need to be... But other than that bit of confusion, the story is good. I think it'll be worth holding out til the next issue to see where the story leads.
Evan Bond
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to see Kogami before he became an enforcer. Can't wait to read the next book!

• 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • 極主夫道, Vol. 1 (Gokushufudō: The Way of the Househusband, #1)
  • 小説 PSYCHO-PASS サイコパス (上)
  • The Gods Lie
  • SPY×FAMILY 1 (Spy x Family, #1)
  • ノラガミ 2 (Noragami: Stray God, #2)
  • Noragami 01 (Noragami: Stray God, #1)
  • Pandora Hearts 1巻
  • The Golden Sheep, Vol. 1 (The Golden Sheep, #1)
  • Une Fille D'Ève / La Fausse Maîtresse
  • The Accidental Demon Slayer (Demon Slayer, #1)
  • 魔人探偵脳噛ネウロ 1
  • 監視官 常守朱  1 [Kanshikan Akane Tsunemori]
  • 小説 PSYCHO-PASS サイコパス (下)
  • 小説 PSYCHO-PASS サイコパス/ゼロ 名前のない怪物
  • The Case of the Perfect Maid: A Short Story
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 1
  • Pandora Hearts, Volume 2

Psycho Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami (6 books)
  • Psycho Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, Volume 2
  • Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami Volume 3
  • Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami Volume 4
  • PSYCHO-PASS 監視官 狡噛慎也 5 (Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, #5)
  • PSYCHO-PASS 監視官 狡噛慎也 6 (Psycho-Pass: Inspector Shinya Kogami, #6)

News & Interviews