Start by marking “The Owl Always Hunts At Night” as Want to Read:
The Owl Always Hunts At Night

The Owl Always Hunts At Night

(Holger Munch & Mia Kruger #2)

When a young woman is found dead, the police are quick to respond. But what they find at the scene is unexpected. The body is posed, the scene laboriously set. And there is almost no forensic evidence to be found.

Detective Mia Krüger has been signed off work pending psychological assessment. But her boss has less regard for the rules than he should. Desperate to get Mia ba
Published July 28th 2016 by Transworld Digital (first published November 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Owl Always Hunts At Night, please sign up.
Liz You have to order it from the UK to get the English Version if you want it now. It is titled, "The Owl Always Hunts At Night." It's a great follow up …moreYou have to order it from the UK to get the English Version if you want it now. It is titled, "The Owl Always Hunts At Night." It's a great follow up to his first book but I have to admit I loved "I'm Travelling Alone" just a bit more. Nonetheless, another fantastic read. I love this series.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Roxana Bociat The funeral was for Lindkvist, a detective and a good friend of Munch. The guy worked with Munch and was like a father to him.

Start your review of The Owl Always Hunts At Night
Maureen
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Thank you to www.shotsmag.co.uk for my hardback copy for which I have given an honest & unbiased review*

Samuel Bjørk has created a dark and disturbing Nordic thriller, which ( though not fast paced or action packed ) still managed to fill the pages with a real chill factor, and a constant feeling of dread.

When a teenage girl is found dead in a forest clearing, in what appears to be a ritualistic killing, Holger Munch ( head of Oslo's homicide unit) and Detective Mia Krüger have virtually no f
Paromjit
This is dark and bleak Nordic noir set in Norway. It is the second in the Holger Munch and Mia Kruger series and the first I have read. It works reasonably well as a standalone. It begins with Tom Petterson, a botanist, discovering the dead body of a emaciated teenager. There are signs of rituals attached to the murder with the presence of a pentagon, owl feathers, candles, wig, a horse head tattoo and a flower in the mouth. Holger Munch is at his ex wife's home and reeling from the news that sh ...more
Richard
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-series
I’m trying to be a bit selective with the crime series I follow. To only commit to those that start particularly strongly and then, to at least get beyond the first novel!
Hence, The Owl Always Hunts At Night, the second book by Samuel Bjork featuring detectives Munch and Krüger. I thoroughly enjoyed I Travel Alone and was looking forward to the second book in this dark, Nordic series.
Mia Krüger and Holger Munch come together again to solve another nasty, twisted murder. Krüger the inspired, now
Paula
Police detective Mia Kruger is too much of a basket case in this sequel. Way over the top...Bjork’s first in the series was better.

3 out of 5 stars
Miriam Smith
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twitter
"The Owl Always Hunts At Night" by Simon Bjork is the second in the Nordic Noir 'Munch/Kruger' police procedural series set in Norway and is a decent thriller and certainly worth a read.
The criminal element of the book was interesting to read and quite unique. It gathered pace towards the end and became quite compelling.
However, I did feel (in my opinion only) that too much time was spent on the two main characters emotional state of mind and this slightly detracted the story from the main plot
Irena BookDustMagic
I literally just finished this book and guys, it was disturbing.
Even sick in a way.
It was like watching a really good episode of Criminal Minds, but only with many more characters.

In fact, there were so many characters, that I had hard time keeping up with all of them.
I'm telling you, if this novel ever gets a movie adaptation, the number of characters will be cut in half (I mean, you have to pay all the actors, right?! ;) ).

But nevertheless, this was a great book that kept me on the edge of my
Kathleen
This second offering in Bjørk’s Holger Munch & Mia Krüger Norwegian noir series has Holger and Mia investigating the bizarre ritualistic killing of Camilla Green, a teenage girl. Both of them are also dealing with personal issues that get in the way of them conducting a rigorous police investigation. Mia, in particular, uses alcohol and pills to get through her day. They seem to stumble upon the real murderer, but Bjørk offers several twists and red herrings along the way. Enjoy! ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Owl Always Hunts at Night is the sequel to I'm traveling Alone is just like the first book a great crime novel. Miriam Holger's daughter gets caught up with an animal rights activist group that will draw her away from her family and may put her in danger. Meanwhile, Holger and Mina try to find out who could have starved and killed a young girl and put her on a bed of feathers in the woods.

As with the first book did I listen to this one and I really love the Swedish audiobook version. The ne
Elaine
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
How come the titles of this series always sound so much more interesting than the mystery itself?

The Owl Always Hunts at Night brings back "formidable" investigators Munch and Kruger back together to investigate the death of a young girl from a home for troubled youth.

Her dead body is discovered posed in a ritualistic fashion and the team is further shocked when it turns out the young girl's captivity was streamed for sadistic billionaires who could afford it.

In the midst of this turmoil, K
Susan
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed “I’m Travelling Alone” by Samuel Bjork and was looking forward to reading the second novel featuring Holger Munch and Mia Kruger. When a botanist stumbles over a dead teenage girl in a forest clearing; posed in a pentagon, surrounded by feathers and with a white lily in her mouth, Munch is called to investigate the strange murder. This crime leads them to a local home for troubled children, where the girl was staying, and to crimes with their shadow in the past and yet links to ...more
Carolyn
This is a disturbing Nordic thriller featuring child abuse and ritualistic killing. When the body of a young woman is found posed in a strange position surrounded by owl feathers and candles in the woods outside of Oslo, Holger Munch (Head of Homicide) and Detective Mia Krüger suspect they are looking for a disturbed killer. The case becomes even more disturbing when one of their team finds video footage of the woman in captivity before her death on the dark web and they realise this is a killer ...more
Skip
I really liked Bjork's I'm Traveling Alone, and while I like his writing and dark Scandinavian noir plots, this case was less interesting. A team of detectives led by Holger Munch and Mia Kruger investigate the death of a troubled teen girl, whose naked, emaciated body was found posed in a candled pentagram, on a bed of owl feathers, wearing a blonde wig. The girl lived at a home for troubled teenagers, and Bjork keeps us guessing as to the murderer. I think the book suffered somewhat from the s ...more
Bill Lynas
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norwegian detectives Holger Munch & Mia Kruger return for a second case in Samuel Bjork's latest thriller.
Like his previous crime story, I'm Travelling Alone, the characters are often more interesting than the investigation itself. Most of the story is well constructed, but one part of the plot is so implausibly similar to events in the previous novel that I found it very hard to suspend my disbelief. That aside, it's a very good read & I look forward to the next installment in the series.
Ingstje
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Owl Always Hunts at Night is the second novel by Norwegian author Samuel Bjork and my introduction to Holger Munch and Mia Kruger. This can be read as a standalone but there were quite a few references to Mia’s sister Sigrid who died in the first novel. Her death is something Mia still struggles to come to terms with, so maybe I did wish I read that one first even if it’s not a necessity.

I liked the two main characters, they’re both flawed and intriguing. Holger Munch is still struggling whe
Crime by the Book
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somewhere between 3.5 - 4 stars for this read! While I didn't love it as much as Book 1 in the series (I'M TRAVELING ALONE), I still wholly enjoyed it. The case central to this story wasn't as compelling to me as the case in I'M TRAVELING ALONE - but it was awesome to be back in the world of these characters. Full review to come!
Inna
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rikoskirjat, murhat
Oh no. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high again, because I enjoyed the first book of this series immensely. But this one, I just couldn't get a grasp on. The plot was a bit out there, especially when it seemed that the ending was told too quickly so I had trouble following who did what and who ran where. And the most annoying thing was the dialogues. Nobody seemed to be listening to the people they were talking with or generally paying attention, since everyone was constantly asking why? ...more
Marianna
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Bjork , can you write more books please ?
Wendy
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***Actual rating 4.5 / 5***

After reading and reviewing the truly exceptional I’m Travelling Alone waaaay back in 2015 I have eagerly awaited the return of the homicide investigative team with their very private lives and ‘tells’ that manifest themselves when things aren’t going so well.

I’m thrilled to see Holger Munch back at the helm solving cryptic puzzles for fun, thoroughly embracing his grouchy-smoker-overweight side, and still in denial about his divorce from Marianne despite all the years
Erofan
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series about a policewoman with a heightened sixth sense. The narrative scheme is the same as in the first book: strange murders, futile searches and ... boom ... accidentally the heroine is in the right place and at the right time. In General, I liked the plot of the book, but I didn't like the predictability of the main characters(
Cloak88
Really bad! 2 stars

Holger Munch and Mia Kruger are back gain for another investigation of another weird murder..... and yeah that is mostly background to all the drama of the main characters. Mia is still depressed and suicidal, Munch still has family issues and now even more drama arises from the rest of the investigative team.... oh and something about a murder.

If it sound like i didn't care for this novel you would be right. The plot is basically a rehash of the first novel and character arc
Colin Mitchell
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, thriller
Came across this Norwegian crime thriller by chance in my local bookshop and the introduction blurb took my eye. It was the best purchase that I have made for some time.

Quite dark it has the Holgar Munch, head of the homicide team and Mia Kruger, a dysfunctional detective addicted to alcohol and pills of various kinds, as the lead character. They left me frustrated and angry a lot of the time but I was unable to out it down and had to find out what had happened to the children sent to Australia
Stephanie
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With thanks to the publisher for the copy received.
I hadn’t read the previous book in the series, I’m Travelling Alone but I found I could easily read this without knowing any of the back story.
The small team of detectives are baffled by the murder of the young woman found in the countryside. Even though she is identified quickly enough they can’t work out why she was staged so elaborately or the conditions that she must have been kept in. Holger realises early in the investigation that his best
Iman Danial Hakim
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel is much better than the debut novel.
Margaret
Jun 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The end of Holger and Mia for me! A bunch of mentally disturbed people moving around ! Some of them victims, some criminals, some police men and women, nobody "normal". If you are looking for a world of paranoia where the only reason of crime is madness look into the world of Samuel Bjorg!
Lo O'Neill
Oct 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am almost finished I'm Travelling Alone and I am desperate to read more by Samuel Bjork!
Laura Rash
I liked the first in this series more. There’s just way too many details that it starts to get monotonous. Almost like reading a Lincoln Rhyme novel on steroids crossed with the Dragon Tattoo series.
Indrė
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I didn't guess the killer, so this a good thing (I am just not sure if the book is good or I am a bad detective, haha). Anyway, I expected more from this book. It has that typical crime book thing that detectives have some mental problems, addictions and suicidal side. It's a bit boring, because you see this in every book. Plus, I think that chapters should be a bit longer, because it was a bit difficult to follow the story.
Janel
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - Firstly, the formalities – if you haven’t read book 1 in the series, can you read this one without feeling lost? A resounding yes, you get a substantial amount of information about the characters, while it doesn’t spoil the previous case, the opening of this book really brings you up-to-date with the lives of the characters. As the cases in each book are separate, this book can be enjoyed as a standalone, however, I highly recommend you read book 1 first because it’s awesome!

The plot
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
I’m not going to lie, I had been waiting to read The Owl… since I turned the last page in I’m Travelling Alone as it was one of my favourite reads of 2015. Something about the authors writing really captured my attention with the first book, so I was really hoping that they would be able to do the same with the second in the series.

In The Owl… we’re back with Holger and Mia. When the body of a troubled teen runaway is found posed on a bed of feathers in the forest, Holger and Mia are called in t
Alfred Nobile
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a bleak tale and a slow burner of a read. Never the less was a finely written tale, Plenty of red herrings and false clues.
It begins with a botanist discovering the body of a young girl posed in what looks like a ritualistic killing.
Enter Holger Munch, an overweight detective; who is carrying the baggage of his divorce years previously. Also Mia Kruger, an enigmatic detective who is on suspension pending a psychological assessment.
Munch breaks the rules by enlisting Mia's help. Is this
Thriller fans: Jaartrilogie 1: Holger Munch & Mia Kruger #2 25 25 Feb 26, 2019 02:40PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please, correct resume 3 13 Jun 08, 2018 04:27AM

• Victim Without a Face (Fabian Risk, #1)
  • Den nionde graven (Fabian Risk, #0)
  • The Chestnut Man
  • Spring Tide (Rönning & Stilton, #1)
  • Lazarus (Joona Linna, #7)
  • Arton grader minus (Fabian Risk, #3)
  • Third Voice (Rönning & Stilton, #2)
  • Motiv X (Fabian Risk, #4)
  • Kallbrand (Rönning & Stilton, #5)
  • DNA (Children's House, #1)
  • Annabelle (Charlie Lager, #1)
  • Svart gryning (Rönning & Stilton, #3)
  • Hangman (Fawkes and Baxter, #2)
  • Lärjungen  (Sebastian Bergman, #2)
  • Sogið (Children's House, #2)
  • The Golden Cage
  • The Absolution
  • Knife (Harry Hole, #12)
Samuel Bjørk is the pen name of Norwegian novelist, playwright and singer/songwriter Frode Sander Øien.

Bjørk’s first installment in the Mia and Munch Series, I’m Traveling Alone, is an international success story that has gained critical acclaim and captivated readers all over the world, including hitting #1 on German newspaper Der Spiegel‘s bestseller list.

Samuel Bjørk has been compared to the li

Holger Munch & Mia Kruger (3 books)
  • I'm Traveling Alone (Holger Munch & Mia Kruger, #1)
  • De jongen in de sneeuw

News & Interviews