Start by marking “Bloq” as Want to Read:
Bloq

Bloq

ebook
Published April 1st 2016 by Ailsa Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bloq, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloq

Start your review of Bloq
Joanne Robertson
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Although I read this book in an entire day, I decided to wait till morning to write my review as I wasn't quite ready to let go of it yet! Strange feeling but I'm sure that a lot of you will understand after you have read this book and you do absolutely HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK! It grabbed hold of me from the graphically described "funeral" on the first page and wouldn't let me go.

Bill, a recent widower, goes to pick his daughter up from the train station in Glasgow on Christmas Eve. She
Noelle
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMFG Alan Jones!! There I was, happily strolling down 4⭐ lane, thinking #Bloq is a seriously great read. Then #BOOM, you knocked my feet from under me and as I dusted myself off, I suddenly and rightly found myself on 5⭐ Street! Bloody Superb!

I was given an ARC of Bloq by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Before I start my actual review, I need to point out how freakin awesome the cover of this book is. The colours shout out at you and portray a gritty, eery, dark side of the London
Angela
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I Recieved a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Outstanding book
I knew I was going to enjoy this book after only a couple of pages and boy I sure did . This book drew me really in and I actually thought I was in the storyline as a character such was my emotions reading it. A story of a fathers quest to find his missing daughter takes you on a roller coaster of emotions , I had to remember to breathe sometimes. This book was very cleverly written and although it contains dark
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Bloq is the authors third novel and in my opinion, without a doubt, his best so far.

It is very much a story of a fathers love for his daughter and how far a parent will go for the love of their child.

Bill is just your typical father figure, having recently lost his wife, his daughter is his world. When Carol doesnt turn up at the train station as planned I could very much feel the panic that was starting to rise in him.

Not only does Bill have the worry of not knowing where his daughter is, he
Claire
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating 4.5/5*

An intriguing start to Bloq; who are the men and who are they burying?? The prologue is littered with profanities but don't let that put you off. They are highly concentrated in the first few pages and dissipate quite quickly.

The story captured me immediately and wouldn't let me go; I devoured the book in 24 hours which can be hard with two young boys to look after! The more I read, the more I wanted to know what had happened to Carol and what Bill would uncover next!

I
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
Grunting and stumbling, they managed to get the plastic-wrapped corpse into the shallow depression, but the feet wouldnt quite fit, protruding above the level of the surrounding packed earth.

BLOQ is a novel published in April 2016 by Alan Jones. It tells the story of a fathers sense of complete hopelessness as he attempts to track down his missing daughter and the lengths he will go to, to discover the truth.

Please read on for my thoughts

Bill Ingram is a man possessed.

After recently burying
Alfred Nobile
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first read by Alan. I really enjoyed this book. Bill goes to meet his daughter Carol at Glasgow's Central station. What should have been a joyful Christmas reunion falls apart when Carol fails to turn up. This sets bill of on a crusade to find out what has happened to his daughter. The search centres round a nightclub called Bloq which Carol has been known to frequent.What follows is a trail of intrigue and deception, involving Drugs, prostitution and Eastern European gangsters. A great read ...more
Kath
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There's been a lot of buzz about this book on my FB book club so, when the shout went out for early reviewers, I was there like a shot. Normally I don't follow the herd with respect to "hyped" books but these are people I know and trust so I was pretty sure I'd be safe with this one!
Luckily, when the book appeared on my Kindle, I was "between books" so I abandoned my well worked out TBR schedule and started it straight away. I didn't need to worry about the delay to my TBR because I read this
Susan Hampson
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-library
Well I pre-ordered this novel well before the publishing date (6th March 2016) determined that I would read it when it was delivered to my kindle but alas I was caught up with other books and it got by me. It was pure luck that I rediscovered it and WOW it just WOWED me!
This is the first Alan Jones novel that I have read and it won't be the last. I loved the simplicity of his main character Glaswegian widower Bill. A totally unassuming ordinary man, Bill was getting by day after day going to
Colette Lamberth
I was a couple of chapters into a book when Bloq appeared on my kindle and I couldn't resist a sneaky peek mistake!! After a few vows of one more chapter I realised I couldn't put it down and had to keep reading to the finish. This is described as a gritty crime novel and while I cant argue with that, at the heart of it this is the story of a fathers love and how it drives Bill on his quest to locate his missing daughter Carol. Bill is an ordinary man but quite an extraordinary character and I ...more
Kath Middleton
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bill expects his daughter, Carol, home for Christmas but she isn't on the train. He waits for the next two Christmas Eve trains but she's not on either and he can't contact her. He decides to drive down from his home in Scotland to her flat in London, only to find she has disappeared.
Bloq is the name of the night club run by an Albanian who, underneath his undoubted charm, is a thug and a drug dealer. Carol and her friends go there and Carol falls under his spell. Gradually her life changes for
Carol
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bloq is another great, gritty crime thriller from Alan Jones! It is a tale of a fathers search for his missing daughter, which leads him through a world of loss, despair, violence and revenge.
The intricate plot is well written, with a few unexpected twists, making it a real page turner! Many thanks to Alan Jones for kindly giving me an ARC of Bloq in exchange for an honest review. I also thoroughly enjoyed reading Blue Wicked, and would highly recommend both books!
Tracy Fenton
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A father's quest to find his missing daughter. A fast paced thriller about revenge and retribution. An enjoyable book by Alan Jones and I shall be looking for more by this author.
Livia Sbarbaro
Bloq will take you to the darkest corner..It will blow you away

When Billy Ingram goes to the train station on Christmas Eve to pick up his daughter Carol he is confused and upset when she doesn't show up.Billy knows this isn't like Carol and drives all the way to London to her home...But as soon as he steps inside her flat....he knows something is wrong..Billy talks to the police then calls round her friends when one of her friends goes to see Billy he knows there is something very wrong ...His
Shell Baker
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You can imagine my excitement when Alan asked me if I have ever been the first person to read a book, for me to reply saying no Alan then to reply by saying well you have now.
Honestly it was such an amazing feeling you would not believe it. I was literally bouncing off the walls with joy. It's not everyday you get told something like that. And to be the first people to read a corker of a novel I was totally blown away.

This is Alans third book that I have read and they just get better and better.
Lucy Hay
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Fast-paced and plotted with appealing characters, BLOQ is a credit to its author, Alan Jones. I was able to follow and finish this story quickly and can see why it's a real favourite amongst book bloggers online. I was reminded of both the movies TAKEN (starring Liam Neeson) and DEATH SENTENCE (with Kevin Bacon) and believe this could be an effective British film in its own right (that's perhaps more gritty and realistic!).

Definitely worth a read - fans of thrillers involving sex and violence
Helen (TBC)
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tbc
My first Alan Jones book but certainly not my last!!

The writing, the pace, the characters and the story line were all spot on - I grieved with the main character, championed his fight for the truth and prayed that he would triumph against the evil, evil men who had ruined his daughter's life. I was so completely taken up with this story that I'm sure I forgot to breathe at times!

No spoilers, but if you enjoy a really clever, well told thriller then Bloq is for you - 5 stars!!!
Audrey Gibson
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author and it certainly won't be the last.

I was hooked from the first page until the end. This is a must read book and if I could give more than 5 stars, I would.

You won't be disappointed.
Chantelle Atkins
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it

4 Stars From Underground Book Reviews!!

Bloq is an accomplished crime thriller, which pits an unlikely pair of heroes against a particularly vile enemy. The first chapter sets up the tone and style perfectly, with a gang of thugs burying an unknown girl on a building site. You know you are in for a dark ride when the first chapter starts with such a brutal scene.

Bloq is the name of an up and coming London nightclub, run by smooth Albanian businessman Aleksander. Bill Ingram, devoted father and
Lainy
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - On and off for 1 week

Pages - 343

Publisher - Ailsa Publishing

Blurb from Goodreads

A father waits in Glasgow's Central Station for his daughter, returning home from London for Christmas. When the last train has pulled in, and she doesn't get off it, he makes a desperate overnight dash to find out why. His search for her takes over his life, costing him his job and, as he withdraws from home, family and friends, he finds himself alone, despairing of ever seeing her again.

This is
Madeleine Black
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by Alan Jones but it won't be my last! It totally grabbed me from the start. Bloq follows the emotional turmoil of Bill who is desperately searching for his missing daughter, who fails to turn up at Christmas time. Don't want to give much away as there are so many twists and turns and a very surprising end that I didn't see coming. This is a dark, gritty and tense book!
MetLineReader
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I'm VERY late to the party on this one - oh boy I wish I had read this sooner. Packs an almighty punch -- page turning, CPID and not quite sure where it will go next. From the seedy world of clubs, drugs and prostitution to the love of a father, Bloq shows us the seedier side of life. It has both heroes and villains, with some surprising developments. In places it's a little too detailed with the gore -- but it really does add colour to the story. Same goes for the sexual antics -- all the ...more
Sharon
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bloq is the third novel written by Alan Jones and I think it is definitely the best yet! From the opening lines of the prologue As a funeral, it was nothing much. Only four people were present; one of them was dead and none of the others gave a fuck the reader is grabbed and hauled in by the throat! Just make sure you have some time set aside when you start this book because you are going to struggle to put it down!

Bloq is a tale of a fathers heartbreak at the disappearance of his daughter, his
josbookblog
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on https://josbookblog.co.uk/

Its Christmas Eve, and Bill Ingram is waiting for his daughters train to arrive from London. When it arrives, he feels the first pangs of concern as she doesnt emerge onto the platform. He phones her, but theres no answer. Telling himself that she simply missed her train, he continues to wait, but when she doesnt arrive on either of the next two trains, he knows theres something wrong, particularly as he still cant get hold of her via her home phone
Betty
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Bill Ingram is looking forward to a Christmas visit with his adult daughter, Carol, and is waiting for her train to arrive at the station so he can take her home. The train arrives at the station a few minutes late but Carol isnt on it, nor is she on the other two trains coming in from London that night. Convinced something is terribly wrong, Bill goes to the police, but finds little help. Determined to find his
Monica Mac
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was indeed a gritty crime thriller, just the sort of book I like!

There was a lot going on in this book: a man who has had to deal with the loss of his wife (via death) and then of his daughter Carol as well (she just vanished). What happens during his search for his daughter is the focus of this book, and I like the way that the story is also told from Carol's point of view as well. There is mention of drug use, violence and sexual abuse but it is an intrinsic part of the story and not
Nicola Hughes
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My actual rating is 4.5
This book started out very interestingly which is what I like, the first page has got to grip me and it just seemed to get better and better. I found myself immediately liking Bill and he reminded very much of my own father in parts!
There was just enough sex, violence and drugs to make the story realistic and work well without it being overdone or becoming predictable.
In truth I couldn't put this story down and I was up at 6am today reading as I was desperate to find out
Chris Nolan
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the third novel from Alan Jones and it is a cracking read from start to finish. Read Bloq And Tackle (!) issues such as drugs and prostitution, missing persons and family loyalties. I was hooked from the moment Bill arrives at the station on Christmas Eve to meet his daughter who is due to spend Christmas with him and she fails to appear. There are many revelations and unexpected turns in the course of the novel and the reader is willing both Bill and Anna, another character he meets in ...more
Angela
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received an Arc of this book from the online group TheBookClub (tbc) This was the first book I have read by this author and I am not a big crime reader so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The story is well researched and edited. It flows at a sedentary pace fooling you into thinking you know exactly what will happen. But Alan Jones novel is not as straight an arrow to the end as you might think. The structure and attention to detail gave this story credibility and realism, and at times the ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an arc from the book club (tbc) on fb in exchange for an honest review.
Glasgow man Bill Ingram waits in the city's central station to meet his daughter, returning home from London for Christmas. When the Last train pulls in, and she doesn't get of it, he makes a desperate overnight dash to find out why?
Wow. OMG. Wow.
Absolutely amazing read.
I loved the story and the characters.
I loved Bill Ingram.
He didn't stop looking for his daughter.
I wasn't sure of Anna at first.
Then
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Our Little Lies
  • Faceless (DI Rosalind Kray, #1)
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Into the Darkness
  • Whisky from Small Glasses (DCI Daley, #1)
  • Exquisite