Start by marking “Cheerleading Can Be Murder” as Want to Read:
Cheerleading Can Be Murder

Cheerleading Can Be Murder

(Horror High #1)

Getting on the cheerleading squad is hard enough without a psycho on the loose...

Published April 5th 2016 by Limitless Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Cheerleading Can Be Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cheerleading Can Be Murder

Start your review of Cheerleading Can Be Murder
Aly
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. A sociopath on the loose, huh? I am not that much into cheerleading but I was curious who the sociopath was/is. I guess you will have to read it to see if you can figure it out. I enjoyed the book. The characters kept me guessing and I liked Dakota.
Paula  Phillips
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a fan of Carissa Ann Lynch's The Flocksdale Files, when I discovered that she had a new one out Cheerleading Can Be Murder , I knew I had to read it as I had absolutely loved her other series. In Cheerleading Can Be Murder, we are taken back to the world of High School and the cliques and the girls that everyone wants to be - The Cheerleaders . Though only 4 can make the squad and there are seven of them trying out this year and three originals known as the Three T's who are on it every year. ...more
Ellie Midwood
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, dark-read
Ok, I think I’m definitely obsessed with Carissa Lynch’s writing and characters! She is undoubtedly a mistress of suspense. With this first book in the new series she just outdid herself once again and kept me up all night biting my nails.
The protagonist Dakota is a freshman in Harrow High, and the only thing she dreams about is to make it into the school’s cheerleading squad. However, there are several more girls who would kill to get the desired spot – sometimes literally. Any one of Dakota’s
Elle's Book Blog
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, horror
Published: 2016
Genre: Young Adult, Horror, Thriller

:: 4.5 Pretty Little Stars

Cheerleading Can Be Murder is a modern version of R.L. Stine's Fear Street Books. This is what really drew me into the book. Having always been a fan of Stine (I read all his books when I was younger) I wanted to find something similar and this is just that! It is filled with horror and suspense and will leave readers gripping the pages. You won't figure out "who-dun-it" till the very end which makes the book SO
Jane Hunt
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cheerleading Can Be Murder by Carissa Ann Lynch

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook
Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+
Connect on...:
Twitter

You realise you’re dealing with something sinister, as soon as you read the first page of this story. It’s made all the more shocking, when you realise the antagonist is targeting high school kids.
I recognise the importance of being part of the cheerleading team in high school, even though I am not from North America. This story focuses on excellenc
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I was pleasantly surprised with this book as it kept me on my toes and second guessing myself throughout the read. A strong plot with interesting characters. Full of thrills and chills that will keep you wanting more. I'm looking forward to what comes next.

{I received an eARC when I signed up to host the book tour. I made no guarantee of a favorable review and the opinions expressed here are unbiased and my own}.

Coco.V
Oct 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎃 Books 1 & 2 in the series are FREE on Amazon today (10/31/2019)! 🎃
Max Power
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is quite an entertaining book which I enjoyed and read quite quickly. This from me is one of the best compliments I can give to a book. That I am most certainly not in the typical target audience for this book is further testament to the author’s story telling ability. I always look for a good story well told with every book I read. That is my primary concern and there is no question that Carissa Ann Lynch is a good story teller. I had a minor quibble with the book and it is one I blame on ...more
Fiona
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend to YA readers.
The subject matter, tone and complexity of the read is perfect to encourage younger readers. Teenagers will relate to the school setting, friendship dilemmas, boyfriend issues and the stiff competition to get selected as a cheerleader. The book has the added twist that someone desperately wants to harm the cheerleader team. But is it someone who didn't make the team playing tricks or something far more sinister?
Fast paced and well-written with great characterisatio
Dia
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it

This book was a wonderful surprise.I liked that it had a mystery feel towards it which made it a quick and fun read.

Dakota,MC loves cheer leading and she wants to make the varsity team desperately.But as the tryouts for the positions escalate,mysterious things begin to happen to some of them.
All of the cheerleaders are trying to find who is the person responsible.

Reading this book made me realize how brutal high school could be.*remembering my own high school days*.

The epilogue shocked me when I
Brooke
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cheerleading Can Be Murder is a great story- and not just for teens either! Although it's specifically targeted for the younger audience, anyone can enjoy the mystery and suspense of this awesome thriller. From the minute I started it, I didn't want to stop reading. Lynch's story and characters drew me in; I didn't even want to put it down at 12:30 in the morning! In addition, the ending was very unexpected and intriguing. I don't usually like cliffhanger endings, but with this book, it just mad ...more
J.L. Clayton
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it.

Author Lynch never fails to please. I love her work so much. Get ready for a rollercoaster! My brain was constantly spinning, trying to figure out who is the one behind all the mischief? Who killed the cat? Is it Sydney, Dakota's best friend? Amanda? Brittany? Even Andy? There were so many possibilities and I still didn't pick the one who was toying with the cheerleaders. Sigh. Wonderful job.
Veronique Poirier
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OMG!!! Love these types of books! I was hooked from start to finish!
I was sooooo trying to figure out who's the sociopath lol. Of course Carissa leaves you in a cliffhanger and that's cruel! LOL <3 Will definitely read book 2!
Thanks for writing. :)
Paula Brandon
Apr 10, 2020 rated it liked it
As far as throwbacks to 90s style Point Horror and Fear Street books goes, this isn't too bad. There wasn't really enough thrills for my liking, and too much focus on the cheerleading aspect of the story, but it was a quick read.

The plot involves Dakota Densford eager to get a spot on her school's cheerleading team. There are six spots, and four of them are more than likely to go to girls already on the squad, plus another spot is pretty much guaranteed for the principal's daughter. So the compe
H. Rose
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Page-turning start to a creepy yet awesome new series. Just when you think it's safe to go back to high school... Dun-dun... dun-dun... DUN-DUN... DUN-DUN!! Omgosh--if you were a cheerleader or student who knew one in high school then this book will take you right back. The book opens with a graphic passage and a great hook (a psychopathic teenager ready to kill) that will stick with you. Thoughts of how death smells mean you may never think of meat without thinking of bodies again. Reading this ...more
Anniek
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dakota is starting her freshman year at high school. She is very excited and can't wait to try out for the cheerleading squad. Even though she knows that chances are slim to make the team she is determined to give it her all. Her best friend Sydney and her new friend and neighbor Amanda will be trying out too. Dakota knows that not everyone is very kind when the stakes are high, but she never expected people to be so ruthless in pursuing what they want.

After a week of practicing routines and per
Megan | A Page to Turn
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
 My Rating: 5

If you loved the Flocksdale files as much as I did; You're also going to love this novel. It has a completely different feel to it; it's a lot less dark when it comes to topics and themes found in the book. The feel of it is a lot more young adult than the Flocksdale Files as well, but it didn't annoy me at all like I expected it to when I read other high school books. Carissa doesn't dwell on the annoyance that is high school students, and I really liked that about this book! It's
BellasBrightBookshelf
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cheerleading can be Murder review banner
Goodreads Summary

For Harrow High freshman Dakota Densford, life should be easy. All she has to worry about is talking to cute boys and remembering her locker combination. But when cheerleading tryouts draw near, she learns the cards are stacked against her—spots on the varsity team are limited. Dakota faces her competition head-on, but when her life is threatened, that takes t
April Wood
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What’s It About?

Dakota is a Harrow High freshman who has been preparing for cheerleading tryouts her whole life. She desperately wants to make the varsity squad and her motivation is spurred further when she learns a boy she likes is on the basketball team.
Unfortunately, a sociopath is on the loose at Harrow High, who seems to be particularly interested in the cheerleaders. When pranks become crimes, Dakota is unsure of who to trust… But as they say, the game must still go on.

My Thoughts

What was
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is bloody brilliant. Absolute genius. I was introduced to Carissa Ann Lynch, via this book, fell in love and have gone back to read every single page she has released. The suspense, the realistic nature and the high school drama. Throw it all together, add a pinch of psychopath and you have the best book of 2016 yet!

I was kept on my toes with this read. It was both exciting and very interesting. I found it harder than I'd like to admit, to put the book down at night. With each brutal
Kelsey McKnight
Jul 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dakota is a Harrow High student that longs to join the cheer squad. But, she has some fierce competition; Amanda- her quirky new neighbor, Sydney- her long-time friend, Genevieve- her exboyfriend’s newest squeeze, Brittani- the principals daughter, Ashleigh- the tag along who has never made the team, Monika- a girl merely described as ‘awkward’, Mariella- Genevieve’s best friend, and The Triple Ts- a band of mean girls named Tasha, Tally, and Teresa who run the school, and the squad.
Things start
Bona Fide Book Reviews
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
This clichéd, little book begins with cheerleading and ends with cheerleading. The middle of the book – more cheerleading. For those of us who don’t care about cheerleading one way or the other, it might be difficult, dare I say painful, to swallow the life and death stance on cheerleading portrayed in this book.

There are very few characters in the story and none of them are impressive or even likeable. It is written first-person, which makes it harder to read. Dakota is shallow, flighty, will l
Yvonne Davies
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
Great Suspense

Coming from the UK, I don't understand the importance of high school girls wanting to be cheerleaders, but you don't need to know to enjoy this book.
Dakota has started high school and like a lot of girls her age wants to be on the Cheerleading squad. Unbeknown to her there is a sociopath, with their own agenda to get revenge on the school, starting on the cheerleaders.
Sydney has been Dakota's best friend throughout school, but with all the strange incidents going on, their friendsh
Kevin Hatt
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having read Author Lynch's Flocksdale series, I was eager to see what she would come up with this time around. Now, being a man, I knew very little about cheerleading, and being from England, where cheerleading isn't that common, I was to receive a pleasant introduction.
The main character - Dakota - is an ordinary girl, trying to get into a team of six, but with eleven hopefuls, she knows she is up against it, and her insecurities become clear. We also are presented with an occasional narrator -
Christina
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
One that took me back to my RL Stine days, this is young adult suspense with a touch of horror and coming-of-age.

Dakota is a freshman at high school and really, really, really (yes, that many reallys) wants to get on the team. The problem is that the spots are limited, her ex is causing trouble, her crush is kissing another girl... and then the trouble really starts, with a slashed uniform, some blood, and a lot of threats.

I'm going to start with saying that I really wanted to read this book - i
Erin Riley
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Carissa Lynch. I love her writing style and her uncanny ability to get in the head of her characters. I bought Cheerleading Can Be Murder on pre-order, and read it in one sitting! Although this book is meant for a slightly younger audience than her Flocksdale Files series, in no way did I feel I was reading a clichéd YA novel. The storyline was fresh, with just the right amount of suspense and horror, as our heroine Dakota's plans for trying out for the high school cheerleadin ...more
JESSICA
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preteen And Up
Recommended to JESSICA by: Amazon.com
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 - Is That Frickin Blood On My Pom Pom Stars

This was a really fun read. Every now and then I enjoy reading young-adult books. - I hated high school. But I love that I can relive some of the good times through these type of books.

Dakota Densford, is 9th grader and desperately wants to be on the varsity cheerleading squad! When she's not thinking about cheering, she's dealing with heartbreak, so-called friend dating her ex, mean girl cliques, and oh, yeah! A sociopath (out to get her and fell
Elizabeth Johnson
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just when I thought I knew who the sociopath was, things get twisted and I am left wondering who it could be just like Dakota, in this book.
I started reading this book late at night but before I knew it, it was almost six in the morning that shows how engrossed I was with the plot. I finished this book in less than 24 hrs, it was that interesting, I didn’t want to drop it. I could see the characters playing before my eyes and I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
The book ends on a cliff hanger, which
Bradon Nave
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I knew this was going to be a good book prior to it arriving. I had no clue I'd be hooked after just a few lines. The description and detail in Lynch's writing is outstanding.
This book was about so much more than cheerleading and held my attention the entire read.
The main character's passion for the sport drives her to secure a spot on a squad that is comprised of mean girls and one seemingly nice odd-girl-out. The cheerleading is only one aspect.
Once the plot developed and I thought I had it f
Bridgett Brown
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just when I thought I had it all figured out... a twist like you wouldn't believe! OMG What Happened? I loved this book, It's about Dakota who wants to join the cheerleading squad, and so do many other girls in Harrow High. But someone is terrorizing the girls who make the team. A dead cat, a cut-up uniform, and more happens to the cheerleaders. I am so pumped to read the next book. I need to know what happens..
This was a great book and no it's not a subject matter that I know about ( I was a Ba
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sex, Murder & Killer Cupcakes (Marian Moyer #1)
  • 1000 Mediterranean Meals: Every Recipe You Need for the Healthiest Way to Eat
  • Cursed Crown: A Beyond The Curse Prequel
  • The Book Of Ill Deeds (Witches Of Castle Falls #1)
  • The Devil’s Delinquents: Extra Dark Edition
  • OBSERVE to UNMASK: 100 Small Things to Know People Better
  • Privilege
  • Mango and Peppercorns: A Memoir of Food, an Unlikely Family, and the American Dream
  • All the Good Girls (Harry Hunter Mystery, #1)
  • A Familiar Sight
  • Everything Is Mine
  • Link by Link: An Anthology of Haunted Holidays
  • Five Tales of Horror and Suspense
  • The Rejected Wife
  • Remembrance  (The Descendants, #1)
  • Renegade (Moonshine Task Force, #1)
  • Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1)
  • Death is in the Details (Paynes Creek, #1)
Besides my family, my greatest love in life is books. Reading them, writing them, holding them, smelling them…well, you get the idea. I’ve always loved to read, and some of my earliest childhood memories are me, tucked away in my room, lost in a good book. I received a five dollar allowance each week, and I always — always — spent it on books. My love affair with writing started early, but it most ...more

Horror High (3 books)
  • Cutting Up the Competition
  • Killer Moves (Horror High Series Book 3)