Start by marking “50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- And How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!” as Want to Read:

This is an account of the amazing things you can achieve when the mind and the body work together. It tells of Karnazes challenge to run 50 marathons in 50 days. The book is also packed with the author's secrets including what to do when you hit a wall, how to adapt quickly to drastic terrain, and much more.
Published August 1st 2008 by Wellness Central (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 50/50, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50/50

Loy Machedo
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Dean Karnazes' athletic memoir ’50 50 – Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 days – and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!” is less of a training encyclopedia and more of a inspirational bio of one individual who dared to take it to the next level. The amazing descriptions, clear cut language and the sincerity by which every paragraph has been ubiquitously crafted, takes the reader right to where the incidents took place.
26.2 Miles each with 42 Staged Marathons and 8 Live Marathons
Camron
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a quick read and I enjoyed the stories from the different marathons, but I wished there was more about the individual events. It seemed to me that he was insincere when describing his fears of completing the task or expressing the difficulties he faced in completing the marathons. Due in part because he kept telling stories of other ultra-events and grander achievements rather than the marathons themselves to make his points. Also, he made it clear that after his sponsor took control of ...more
Chad Sayban
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ok, this is most certainly the longest book title of any book I have ever read. To start with, I have read Dean's first book - Ultramarathon Man - a couple of times now. I have enjoyed the rereads of that book and I'm pretty sure the same will be true of this book. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Dean and his running quest, in 2006 Dean attempted to cover a marathon in each of the 50 states on 50 consecutive days culminating at the New York City Marathon. This book brings to life the hi ...more
Cassandra
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I admire what Mr. Karnazes has done. I think he's incredibly inspiring. However... this book just wasn't very good. I was expecting it to be mostly stories from the 50 marathons he ran, interspersed with running advice. In actuality, it was mostly running advice with a few short marathon stories. Very disappointing.

While the advice was good, it was running advice you could obtain from various sources, including the Runner's World forums. This book is supposed to be about "super endurance" and a
Michael
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I started this book with the intention of laughing at the unbridled excess that is manifest in the title. But! It turns out that this is an interesting book. In addition to being, at least partially intentionally, a window into what seems to be a relatively benign, even productive, form of obsessive behavior, it's also not a bad general guide to running. Karnazes (and his ghost, Matt Fitzgerald) embodies my favorite thing about running culture, the mutual support of the very ...more
Mark
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this is his best book - full of practical ideas.
Caio Malufe
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dean and Matt achieved the goal of describing an amazing feat in an easy read that grabs your attention and only let’s go once you’re done with the book!
Robert
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this a lot less than "Ultramarathon". No doubt an incredibly accomplishment but you get it after just a few chapters so the rest gets a bit mundane. This would have worked great as an article or pamphlet but the book doesn't seem so necessary
Madison
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Wow! What an amazing achievement Dean Karnazes, you truly deserve the title 'Ultramarathon Man.' I hope (one day) l have the privilege of joining you on one of your many marathons. Thanks for the inspiration!
David
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I especially like the concept of "runabout." Get a backpack, put a hydration pack in it, cell phone, money, and just run or walk to wherever.
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
50 Marathons in 50 days. He's insane. But he's also super engaging. I like how this grew from him hopping out of the RV for his daily run while on a family vacation to involving his kids and parents on this challenge. I also like that it didn't turn into a North Face commercial.

Although he focused more on the challenges associated with running due to the focus of this book, a
side benefit to this book is knowing it's possible to do a road trip to the lower 48 in 48 days. An uncomfortable one, bu
Rachael
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a great read as I train for a marathon. I liked his advice and I liked that it was sprinkled through the whole book, but I would’ve taken more travel log and less soap box. Generally speaking, I enjoyed his tone and attitude toward life and running. He’s not your average runner, but I related to a lot of his experiences and was inspired to push more outside my comfort zone in all areas of my life. I’m not sure non-runners would like this quite as much as I did, but it would be inspiring to ...more
Melissa Mae
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay, the concept is mind-blowing. 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days (oh, and then Karnazes decides to run home - cross-country). Incredible. I will forever tell people about this guy that did this amazing thing.

I listened to this book over audio on a long road trip, and it kept me from going stir-crazy. I give it three stars because if I was reading a physical copy, I'm not sure I'd have stuck with the whole thing. The stories are nice to hear, but it's tough to write about 50 marathons wit
Michelle
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: body, autobio
Tanmay Agrawal
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A decent read. Definitely not better than his first. I was expecting some more stories from individual marathons but I guess that would result in a much bigger book.
I loved how some marathons are combined into a chapter based on a similar theme. Very inspirational book for runners and non-runners alike.
Courtney
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: running
What I hoped for was grit and a bit of toeing the edge of sanity, to find an idea, a memory, a lesson when all that is physical, mental and emotional is exhausted. The idea that when you push yourself to the edge, there's something to be found there. I wanted that "there." What it seems to be instead is a beginners guide to fueling, training, injury, marathons and passion.
Monika
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: running
It's very easy and fast read. I like description of challenges, tips for every runner and whole this story. Motivation for everybody and people he met during this amazing quest. Also very interesting part for me the science bit - what happens to body when runs 50 marathons in 50 day.

Motivational well balanced book for every runner or non runner.
Best lesson - take it in baby steps
Vic Dinovici
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give this 4 stars and not less because I like Dean, terrific athlete. However, there is not much advice for runners in the book but mostly the story of his 50 states back to back marathons. Sensational in themselves but because I am starting running I was more looking for tips and tricks. Still an interesting book never the less.
Becky
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a really quick read, giving insightful running tips mixed in with anecdotes about how Karnazes ran 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 days. While many running books can be dry as toast, this was not!
Gail
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book - the author is an exceptional athlete naturally able to perform at a standard few of us can aspire to.....on 3 or 4 hours sleep! This is a very interesting read - even if you are only slightly interested in running!
Carlos Miguel
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have such a mixed feeling with this book. Dean is very honest with his stories, and I really enjoyed that, but some of his tips were way over what a "normal" runner can achieve. No the best book if you are just starting running, but still an interesting one.
Stephan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
What happens when you run 50 marathons in 50 days? chaos happens. If you're thinking of undertaking such a feat, read this book. Dean Karnazes breaks down how to plan, gives plenty of runner tips and seals the package with nutritional pointers. Great book.
Christy Keeler
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
As always, Karnazes gives us a fun read. He tells stories of his experiences and the people he met along his marathon challenge across the US. The chapters are short and the book can be picked-up and put-down as needed. It was a great read when hiking along the John Muir Trail.
Stacie Huszar Garboden
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You need to love running to love this book. You've gotta love the bit of crazy that runners love. Running with blisters and storms and sickness. Great book to keep me motivated through a few more weeks of marathon training.
Darcelshankle
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspirational book that helps you understand the mind of an ultra runner. Many great tips included to help anyone who wants to run marathons.
Marius Scutea
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring boo written by an inspiring person
Shelby Kisgen
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book inspired me to train for my first marathon!
DJ Meunier
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Great read. The advice can translate to other sports as well.
Michael Escalante
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Dean's enthusiasm and it was fun to hear some stories from running 50 marathons in 50 days. The book doesn't have much substance but I think it has the potential to be eye-opening and inspiring to runners and aspiring runners. At times I felt like he was reaching to create some suspense and his purported self-doubt didn't always seem authentic. That said, it could have been. Either way, Karnazes is an incredible and inspirational athlete that has completely blow up the assumed boundari ...more
Matthew Post
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I can't add much to the reviews above. Thoroughly enjoyed it and found it very easy to read. In many respects it is 50 race reports with sage advice every chapter. Hoping his other books are as good to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • Running on Empty: An Ultramarathoner's Story of Love, Loss, and a Record-Setting Run Across America
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • No Need for Speed: A Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running
  • Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running
  • The Long Run: One Man's Attempt to Regain His Athletic Career-And His Life-by Running the New York City Marathon
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Brain Training For Runners: A Revolutionary New Training System to Improve Endurance, Speed, Health, and Results
  • Lore of Running
  • To the Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance
  • Marathon Man: My 26.2-Mile Journey from Unknown Grad Student to the Top of the Running World
Dean Karnazes (b. Constantine Karnazes) is an American ultramarathon runner and author.
“Unless you're not pushing yourself, you're not living to the fullest. You can't be afraid to fail, but unless you fail, you haven't pushed hard enough."
24 likes
“Awakenings are always terrifying as they force you to realize your past has been lived in confinement, the most disturbing part is when you recognize that the shackle holding you down are largely once you have placed upon yourself, the prison is self constructed ” 4 likes