Start by marking “Mad Woman” as Want to Read:
Mad Woman

Mad Woman

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Author of Learning to Speak, Kat Savage, returns with Mad Woman whish is comprised of 40 pieces that capture her stream on conscious, her confessions, and her strange thoughts. In Mad Woman, she bears it all and embraces her madness driven by loneliness and disappointment.
Paperback, First, 60 pages
Published April 15th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Mad Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Woman

Frannie Cheska
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received an ARC copy of this book for an honest review:

I went into this with an open mind, very excited for what it contained. The title alone had me excited to feel: Mad Woman. While the content is blunt, unreserved, and clearly personal, I feel it lacks something crucial. Some of these pieces are intimate, others angry, but overall it’s missing that one thing that makes a piece memorable, none of them leave any impression. Poetry, as I understand it, is subjective to an extent. In the end, i
Ashley (5171MilesBooks)
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
So heartbreakingly honest.

My favorite line: "When you strip yourself of something people expect, of something they have decided is who you are, you become truly free."
Kelsie
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You'll pick up this book not knowing Kat Savage. You'll finish it. Exhale deeply, close the cover slowly, and you'll know Kat Savage. You'll know parts of another woman we all keep hidden from everyone else. Even sometimes ourselves.
We all have insecurities, fears, successes, failures, complications, families, love, loss. All of us know those things on one level or another, but most of us don't tell a soul about those things that lie at the depths of who we are.
Kat does. Not just for herself but
Gretchen Gomez
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
wow i'm just speechless. i'm emotional and this book is just amazing.
Alicia Cook
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kat Savage is a poet. Many releasing poetry these days can't say that. Not only is she a poet, but she is an artist. She designs her own covers (she didn't draw this cover though, but did the layout) and, if you own her latest book THIS IS HOW I DIE, includes her own drawings within the pages as well. Full aesthetic experience. Kat Savage takes the time to move her books - not just the writing but the book as a whole - to the next level.
Pat
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
***ARC provided by Kat Savage in exchange for an honest review.***

It’s definitely been a while since I sat down and read someone else’s poetry, and I’m glad I took a chance on Kat Savage. I had been following her on Instagram for a while now, enjoying everything she’s put up so far. Suffice it to say, this collection did not disappoint.

I have always been fascinated by poets who have the guts to put themselves completely out there all vulnerable and open to criticism. There’s something about poet
Alyssa
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am a mad woman. We all are, you just don't know it yet. We all have that side that is hidden in the innermost part within us. We may not be aware of its existence, but it's there. Kat Savage managed to bring out that mad side within me.

Numerous themes were explored in this book. There were pieces that talked about grief, abuse, love and so much more. So if you're looking for a poetry book that focuses on one theme only, then you might as well look for another one. What I liked in this book was
Liam Xavier
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kat Savage presents several different narratives, situations and characters that are equally as heartbreaking, and at the same time insightfully wise throughout the books progression, each feeling as if it builds upon each other to build an almost coming-of-age narrative of a 'Mad Woman'. Poetry is meant to be from the heart, more from the heart than it is from the mind (my personal opinion) and so much of what we read is exactly that, the emotion is ever present. From bad relationships, to inse ...more
Jena Hemsworth
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Because this is a poetry book, I'll do my review in verse. So here it goes:

I had found this book

And now I read it.
I didn't love it
But I liked it.

It is what it is.
Kat Savage's confessions of a life
She hides or shows
Or dislikes in plain sight.

It's her fears and her faults
It's her failures and her hurts
And I like it when people
Go full out and they demonstrate
That to be a good person is more than j
Betul
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, poetry
There were a lot of poems in this book I could relate to. It was like it came straight out of me. Some were emotional and they really moved me. They were pretty intense.
Tann Medi
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Tiene algunas frases interesantes
Pero en general se me hizo muy lineal y un tanto depresiva, me dio la impresión de que la autora se odia así misma.
Giulia
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, the-average
Emotional and rather deep. I liked this one.

Favourite Poem:
Always Wander, Always Wonder
I pulled my feet across the pavement about as gracefully as a woman feeling terribly aware of her own lack of direction could manage.
I remembered a time when going nowhere was quite all right and even quietly encouraged.
“Take your time,” they said.“Don’t rush it,” they warned.
And so, I didn’t.
But I found the years creep up and if you go nowhere for too long, you will be going nowhere forever, or at least it wi
Cassie  R. (cassie-loves-reading)
I enjoyed the writing style in this one and the occasional piece of art placed throughout. I always feel like I would understand these types of books more if I had experience being in love. This isn't a happy collection of poems, they're sad and I can only kinda relate to a few of them, which I think is a good thing. But they're still really good and I'll probably look to see if she has another collection out.
Naroba
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy shit if there were ever a more relevant collection of poems to my aching heart I wouldn’t believe it. From start to finish Kat’s words slayed me. I knew I loved her before, but she just earned a fan for life.
Kia
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honest, painful, personal, heartbreaking. This book is sooooo sad.
Ashley
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this. The poetry and random thoughts/stories were sometimes weird and relateable. Plus the cover is gorgeous.
Natasya Wiah
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018reading, poetry
"you can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness." And i think thats mostly true"
Nicole
Feb 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
Wow, I'm thoroughly confused.

I totally get what this is—it is confessional poetry (some of my least favorite, mind you), but I tried to keep an open mind. It can be done well. I just couldn't figure out what the speakers of these poems wanted, at all. I also feel like they learned very little over the course of this, like this people has a high propensity of circling back into bad behaviors and toxic mental fogs. The streams-of-consciousness seemed contradictory at all times. And I get it—you ca
Katherine Henson
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-essays, 2016
Kat gets it right: we are all mad woman. At least, if we are willing to admit it. She does. Powerfully. Beautifully. Painfully. Truthfully.

These new words are a piece of her that she gracefully lends to us to remind us that the maddest of us are the true epitome of beauty.

What I love most is the raw, plain thoughts made beautiful by honesty, a little humor, and pure madness of actually listening to those insistent, often incoherent thoughts. Of taking the pieces of our life that have left us b
K.J. Chapman
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have been following Kat Savage on Instagram for a while, and her words are perfectly blunt, raw, and honest. I had to bag myself a copy of Mad Woman during a free promotion on Amazon Kindle, and I was not disappointed.

Savage pours out her heart and feelings in 40 beautifully crafted poems that perfectly capture her mindset whilst writing each piece. I felt her pain, love, and loss, and feel I know Kat Savage a little more from reading her poetry, and that's how it should be.

Poetry is subjectiv
Amber Bennett
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seriously... This woman's writing is AH-MAY-ZING!!!!!! Probably more so because I can relate to just about every poem written. She has a way with words. They wrap so tight yet gently around your heart, breaking it in pieces and lovingly put back together. I could have read a "novel"'s worth of her words. PICK THIS UP AND READ IMMEDIATELY, you won't be disappointed and if you are, too bad, I wasn't!!!!!
Heather Monahan
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mad Woman is fire.
Raw, brilliant, chaotic emotion. Kat's poetry leaves me feeling like I don't just understand what she felt in the moments she felt them, but I have been there as well. She has a honest magic about her openness as a human and an artist, that makes her work easy to connect with. poetry is feeling. sadness. anger. madness. Kat encompasses it all. I would recommend Mad Woman, to anyone who has ever felt anything. Just do it already.
Ally Guay
This was an overall good read. I kinda forgot about it in my kindle for a little while, which is why it took me so long to finish a 50 page book. But the poems were actually quite good and relatable. I saw myself in some of the poems which is always interesting. some of them were pretty dark. But that is what made some of them intriguing. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and would read more books by this poet.
Lisa
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I devoured #MadWoman by: Kat Savage in the time it took to have my lunch break, Once I started reading I couldn't stop her raw emotion jumped off the pages and smacked you right in the kisser. I had so many thoughts, emotions in so little time I was in a daze! The truth and metaphors she wrote were real I felt her words. Sometimes poetry can teach you more than anyone could. I've tried my hand at writing, but it's nothing like this Kat bared all && it shows I gave Mad Woman 5 stars
Amber Reads
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
C.E. Nelson
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had the ability to read an ARC of Mad Woman, and I'll say the author does not disappoint. I was highly anticipating this book after reading Learning to Speak, and Kat Savage knocks this out of the park. She captures the madness in all of us brilliantly, and is honest in her confessions. I can't wait to see what she does next.
Nicole Anderson
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I went in totally blind with this and so glad I did,it was fantastic! Don't get me wrong, some parts were difficult to read,knowing they we true and other parts felt as though every woman can relate. Will definitely be reading more from this author
Deborah Marie
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this collection is poetry in its rawest, truest, most gritty form. if you're looking for a poetry book that you just know the author poured their entire heart, mind & soul (demons & all) into, then look no further. thank you for your brave and unapologetic words, kat.
Christina Hart
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The title is fitting. This stunning poetry book will remind you of your own madness. It will tear your heart out and then gently piece it back together.
Lesley
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A few great poems, but overall I wasn't wowed.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Kat Savage’s unique brand of storytelling combines some of her own truths with a little bit of fiction to connect to people in a very real way. She writes about ugly things authentically and shamelessly.

She recently combined her former self-published chapbooks into one collected volume of poetry titled This is How I Die and is currently working on her debut novel For Now.
More about Kat Savage
“Most love, I've observed, is narcissism at its finest and most cunning. Love is always about how you feel but not necessarily how the other person feels. The notion that simply because you love someone they should be willing to love you in return.” 3 likes
“Language can make a murderer a saint, a victim deserving, and a lover a stranger.” 3 likes