Start by marking “These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)

These Rebel Waves

(Stream Raiders #1)

Adeluna is a soldier. Five years ago, she helped the magic-rich island of Grace Loray overthrow its oppressor, Argrid, a country ruled by religion. But adjusting to postwar life has not been easy. When an Argridian delegate vanishes during peace talks with Grace Loray’s new Council, Argrid demands brutal justice—but Lu suspects something more dangerous is at work.

Devereux
Published August 7th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about These Rebel Waves, please sign up.
Becky B This is a quote from the publisher's announcement of the book: "kicking off a teen fantasy duology featuring a well-mannered lady, a tortured pirate, …moreThis is a quote from the publisher's announcement of the book: "kicking off a teen fantasy duology featuring a well-mannered lady, a tortured pirate, and an ambitious prince"(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,052 books — 5,542 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,195 books — 4,757 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
Emily May
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think perhaps Sara Raasch is just not for me. Though her books always sound compelling, I once again find myself distanced from the story by the writing, unattached to the characters, and generally apathetic towards whatever was going on.

Sorry to disappoint, but the rumours of gay pirates in These Rebel Waves are false. I guess this will continue to be where I get my gay pirate fix (CW: homophobia, mention of rape). It's not the author's fault; Raasch only ever promised gay romances - of which
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: $1.99 Kindle US 8/22/19

Beautiful Sprayed Edges!

LINK TO THE GOODIES

I'm on the fence so I'm leaving it at 3 stars for now 😕

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Friends, this just was not the book for me. And you know I hate writing “negative” reviews, so I’m going to try to keep this on the shorter side. But this book and the writing was just equal parts boring and daunting for me. Plus, the magic system was not explained, the characters were hard to like or believe, and I never cared enough to root for any of them. But I think what ultimately made me not love this book was be
Hamad
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

You can find this review and other non-spoilery reviews @The Book Prescription

🌟 Expectations is the keyword here, if you see the top reviews on GR, you will see that they are all readers excited for a “Gay Pirates” story, after seeing all those reviews I was pretty sure that was what we are getting. Obviously, apart from a minor focus on an LGBTQ character, this has nothing to do with the whole “Gay pirates” thing.

🌟 So, this has nothing to do with pirates, this has no shi
Sara Raasch
Aug 22, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
***The final pre-release contest for THESE REBEL WAVES is happening NOW through July 31!!*** ...more
C.G. Drews
for some reason I thought this was about lesbian pirates...🤔 it is not? there is a queer main character but I spent the entire time wanting to kick his love interest so. It's very politics and plot centric, focused on building a complex world with lots of layers which I very much appreciated from a craft perspective...and wasn't invested in at all from a reader perspective. lol. I loved Vex the sassmaster pirate; but turned rather glassy-eyed at Ben and Lu, and overall don't think I was in the r ...more
Renee Godding
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Like I mentioned in my updates along the way: I loved this book so much more than I was expecting to.
The person that decided to market this as "a fast pased story about gay pirates" needs to be fired, because not only is that not the focus, but there is plenty else to love in here that is the focus. Political intrigue, a beautifully built caribbean-esque world, botanical magic, and strongwilled and smart characters that stole my heart.
I can't wait for the sequel to come
Natalie Monroe
“'As much as I don’t know you, raider, you don’t know me. You have no idea what I am capable of.'

Vex considered. ‘You’re right—I don’t know you. But I know who you want to be, princesa, and that might be more dangerous to you.’”

Snow Like Ashes left me high and dry, but I had high hopes for this one because one, gay pirates and two, gay pirates. Honestly a more wonderful combination of words could not have been invented other than free pizza.

Sadly, as most of you have figured out by now, the
✨    jamieson   ✨
“Everyone, remain calm, I’m about to blow some shit up.”
“Nay!” Vex shouted from the pilothouse. “We’ve a kid here now, all right?”
“Sorry. I’m about to chaotically rearrange some shit up.”
“That wasn’t the problem—” Vex started to say.

uhhh. This just didn't work for me at all. And I strongly considered DNF'ing for large parts of it, but skimmed read to the end anyway.

These Rebel Waves is set in a fantasy world where magic has been declared heretic by the powerful Argridian council. Years ag
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Okay but how am I supposed to take the oppressor seriously when everytime I see his name I read "Hagrid" instead of "Argrid"?
Cesar
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
1.5 stars.

You ever read the synopsis of a book and you think it sounds good? Then you read the book and all of your expectations went down the drain faster than Usain Bolt running a 100-meter dash race. Well, that's what my experience was with These Rebel Waves.

All jokes aside, These Rebel Waves was a chore to get through because of the many, many, many issues I had. It started off promising, I was interested in learning more about the characters, the world, and the magic. But about one-third of
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Review can also be found at Dana and the Books

I should have loved These Rebel Waves. It has pirates, magic, politics, jail breaks; it ticks all the Dana boxes. Sadly, this one was possibly the most disappointing book of 2018 for me.

The Good:

○ It's in Third Person POV. First person POV seems to be the standard for many YA novels so it's always refreshing when that's not the case

○Every time Argrid was mentioned, my brain decided to pronounce it like Madame Maxime saying 'Agrid' in a French accent
Cindy ✩☽♔
Sep 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
3/19/18
Ugh, I swear this was a July 3rd release and now it's been pushed back until August 7th
---
OMG look at this cover!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
It is absolutely stunning! I am so freaking excited for this! Because honestly, I just need more pirate stories in my life.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Glad to see that the synopsis is finally up and happy to say I'm still super excited to see where this goes.
Mary Nguyen (fox & wit)
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some thoughts in response to what other people are saying, particularly as a critique.

1) Bland gay characters. Honestly? I hadn’t heard much about this book and didn’t realize it was pitched as an LGBT book. Was it? I don’t know. I can see why people who expected this would be disappointed but for someone who definitely enjoys good LGBT representation, this was not a factor that bothered me. Because that isn’t an expectation I had. Because this was not the POINT of the book. So honestly. If you’
Adah Udechukwu
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first I didn't flow with These Rebel Waves. The first 10 chapters was kinda weird.
It took a while before I understood the political situation; It was a mess but later the novel got interesting and fun.

When I started the novel I was so sure of my self that I was never ever ever going to read book 2 but things are different now.

Book 1 started making sense half way.
Four stars to These Rebel Waves
Shelby  P
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. That was so good.

Vex is a babe and officially on my book boyfriend list.

The world was complex but well explained and thought out. I enjoyed both the political side and the magic system. There was just enough balance to make it interesting.

Amanda
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5*

*I received this ARC in exchange for honest review*

The story follows our 3 MCs as their lives intertwine in a Spanish Inquisition inspired post-War setting.

>Adeluna: Former rebel spy, magic expert,badass lady
>Devereux: Pirate/ Stream Raider, mischievous bugger, secretly a cinnamon roll
>Benat: Gay Prince of Argrid, science nerd, heretic

I really loved all of the MCs. That being said, I had a very difficult time connecting with them. This isn’t your typical action packed pirate book, it focus
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: gay mc, bi li, wlw side characters, poc cast
tw: torture, child abuse, death & murder

i came here expecting gay pirates but what i got was a bunch of traumatised kids with ptsd trying to win a war and whom i must protect at all costs. also a gay prince.

main point: all those prejudices, all those reasons for hatred & division in this made-up land and yet not a single mention of homophobia?? *chef kisses*

anyway, admit that vex is bi and we have ourselves a perfect book!
Kelly Brigid ♡
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult, arc
description

To my dismay, I thought that this book fell very flat. I had such high hopes for it, and loved so many of the individual elements within in. Unfortunately, all these bits and pieces mesh together in odd ways, and aren't descriptive or unique enough to stand out. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, and the romances felt forced. I also would've liked to have seen more privateering. Considering the title of this novel, I was expecting more swashbuckling and plundering, but it wasn't very
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I've been hearing wonderful things about this one, especially these two words: gay pirates . Sara Raasch, BRING IT ON.
enqi ☁️✨
Sep 01, 2018 marked it as to-read
i really want to get the fairyloot version of this book with the pretty green sprayed edges but THE REVIEWS FOR THIS BOOK ARE SO LOW, WHY
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

This isn’t a bad book. As in, it’s not badly written or lazy or offensive. It doesn’t deserve to be relegated to a low rating with books that are all of those things. It just really didn’t do it for me. Part of the problem is that I allowed myself to be swayed by hype. I should have compared the hype to the blurb because I was not in the target audience for this book at all. This book is not about gay pirates.

Imma repeat that:

This book
Lea (drumsofautumn)
DNF at a 12% 😭 I was so excited about this, y’all don’t even know. But god, the beginning is so slow and so info-dumpy. Normally at this point I should already be intrigued by something but I'm not.
And thanks to other people's reviews, I know that there’s not a lot of piracy going on, nor are the gay pirates, so I can’t be bothered to give this a bigger chance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alaina
OMG! I am so happy that I have this book!

These Rebel Waves was so freaking good. I really enjoyed getting to know Adeluna (aka Lu), Vex, and Ben! Well, not really Ben but his chapters got a bit more interesting towards the end of the book. That being said, I am in love with Lu and Vex.

Lu is such a little bad ass ninja but she has a lot to learn still. Yes, she is a wizard with these plants but she is surrounded by death, a horrible past, and betrayal. Then there's Vex, who oh lord.. has some se
Nicki Chapelway
Mar 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF- 40 pages.

So yeah, this is disappointing because it looked like it could really shape up into a good story, but Ben one of the three main protagonists is a dirty minded creep and I can't stand him already. Added to the language and it just isn't worth it. Pity, Lu and Vex, the other two main characters, seemed really interesting.
Angela
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So. Good. HIGHLY SUGGEST READING THIS!!!!!!
There is so much going on and it makes everything a lot more deepthful and meaningful and perfect. The book is circled around all the politics which allows for more action and magic (especially the plants!). And I can't get enough of Vex and Lu and Ben and Jakes, and I need the next book now!!!!!!
Blythe
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt on of my top reads for 2018. Holy plot twists Batman! I loved the characters in this book so much. Omg I need Book 2 right now because I am not ok!
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
this cover looks sexy 👀👀👀

~~~~

>>> lgbt romance
>>> pirates

Sign Me The Fuck Up

aaaaaaaaaaa so many books im excited for
❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS
Lately I go into books from my TBR blind, without rereading the blurb or having a single idea of what the book is about. I had no idea what to expect and all this political and religious hierarchal strife was intense. And holy hell that ending. I really really enjoyed this book world the author created was phenomenal and captivating. I haven’t had a cliffhanger hit me like this one in awhile and I’m desperate to read the next book. I loved the heroin Lu. A former child spy, Lu is smarter, toughe ...more
Di
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
**I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes were taken from the advanced readers copy and as such may not be accurate or present in the final version**

I buddy read this book with the super awesome Amy from A Magical World of Words. We had the best chats and I always enjoy a buddy read with a #squad member.

I really adored this book. Having not read anything by Raasch before I wasn't sure what to expect but These Rebel Waves exc

• Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Fire & Heist
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Seafire (Seafire, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • Beyond a Darkened Shore
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • Sea Witch (Sea Witch, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • For a Muse of Fire (For a Muse of Fire, #1)
  • To Best the Boys
Sara Raasch has known she was destined for bookish things since the age of five, when her friends had a lemonade stand and she tagged along to sell her hand-drawn picture books too. Not much has changed since then — her friends still cock concerned eyebrows when she attempts to draw things and her enthusiasm for the written word still drives her to extreme measures. Her debut YA fantasy, SNOW LIKE ...more

Stream Raiders (2 books)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)