Start by marking “These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)

These Rebel Waves

(Stream Raiders #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  1,385 Ratings  ·  425 Reviews
Adeluna is a soldier. Five years ago, she helped the magic-rich island of Grace Loray overthrow its oppressor, Argrid, a country ruled by religion. But adjusting to postwar life has not been easy. When an Argridian delegate vanishes during peace talks with Grace Loray’s new Council, Argrid demands brutal justice—but Lu suspects something more dangerous is at work.

Devereux
Published August 7th 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about These Rebel Waves, please sign up.
Becky B This is a quote from the publisher's announcement of the book: "kicking off a teen fantasy duology featuring a well-mannered lady, a tortured pirate,…moreThis is a quote from the publisher's announcement of the book: "kicking off a teen fantasy duology featuring a well-mannered lady, a tortured pirate, and an ambitious prince"(less)
Frank From the synopsis it sounds like this is completely separate from SLA. But if you haven't read SLA I recommend you run to a library or book store or…moreFrom the synopsis it sounds like this is completely separate from SLA. But if you haven't read SLA I recommend you run to a library or book store or download it as soon as possible, I haven't read books two and three but book one is amazing!(less)
The Cruel Prince by Holly BlackWar Storm by Victoria AveyardA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
1,034 books — 4,954 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly Black
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,292 books — 4,676 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think perhaps Sara Raasch is just not for me. Though her books always sound compelling, I once again find myself distanced from the story by the writing, unattached to the characters, and generally apathetic towards whatever was going on.

Sorry to disappoint, but the rumours of gay pirates in These Rebel Waves are false. I guess this will continue to be where I get my gay pirate fix (CW: homophobia, mention of rape). It's not the author's fault; Raasch only ever promised gay romances - of which
Kiki
Dec 12, 2016 marked it as to-read
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Friends, this just was not the book for me. And you know I hate writing “negative” reviews, so I’m going to try to keep this on the shorter side. But this book and the writing was just equal parts boring and daunting for me. Plus, the magic system was not explained, the characters were hard to like or believe, and I never cared enough to root for any of them. But I think what ultimately made me not love this book was be
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Beautiful Sprayed Edges!

LINK TO THE GOODIES

I'm on the fence so I'm leaving it at 3 stars for now 😕
Hamad
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

You can find this review and other non-spoilery reviews @The Book Prescription

🌟 Expectations is the keyword here, if you see the top reviews on GR, you will see that they are all readers excited for a “Gay Pirates” story, after seeing all those reviews I was pretty sure that was what we are getting. Obviously, apart from a minor focus on an LGBTQ character, this has nothing to do with the whole “Gay pirates” thing.

🌟 So, this has nothing to do with pirates, this has no shi
Sara Raasch
Aug 22, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
***The final pre-release contest for THESE REBEL WAVES is happening NOW through July 31!!***
☙ percy ❧
Jul 30, 2017 marked it as tbr-other
i hated Snow Like Ashes but i hear this book is about

GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FUCKING!!!!!!!!!
PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i'm willing to give the author another chance. ;)
Natalie Monroe
“'As much as I don’t know you, raider, you don’t know me. You have no idea what I am capable of.'

Vex considered. ‘You’re right—I don’t know you. But I know who you want to be, princesa, and that might be more dangerous to you.’”

Snow Like Ashes left me high and dry, but I had high hopes for this one because one, gay pirates and two, gay pirates. Honestly a more wonderful combination of words could not have been invented other than free pizza.

Sadly, as most of you have figured out by now, the g
Sh3llraiser (grumpybookgrrrl)
DNF 28%. No rating.

I started this on May 4, 2018. It is now July 13, 2018. It's been over two months and I can't get past 28%. I'm throwing in the towel.

Who started this gay pirates thing? There are no gay pirates here.

I'm not even going to try and review what I did read. Just going to move on. I do thank you so very much Edelweiss and publisher for providing an eARC. I'm sorry it wasn't for me. I'm sure others will like it. The writing is fine; it's just me.

Original post:

28% pre-review... St
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
3/19/18
Ugh, I swear this was a July 3rd release and now it's been pushed back until August 7th
---
OMG look at this cover!!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
It is absolutely stunning! I am so freaking excited for this! Because honestly, I just need more pirate stories in my life.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Glad to see that the synopsis is finally up and happy to say I'm still super excited to see where this goes.
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Jan 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
Okay, so apparently this doesn’t have a actually gay romance just a character that is gay/bi? Damn, that makes me way less excited to read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GAY PIRATES ! I don’t need to know anything else.
I’m so excited to start reading this book.!.!.!!.!..!
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
Okay but how am I supposed to take the oppressor seriously when everytime I see his name I read "Hagrid" instead of "Argrid"?
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
Review can also be found at Dana and the Books.

I should have loved These Rebel Waves. It has pirates, magic, politics, jail breaks; it ticks all the Dana boxes. Sadly, this one was possibly the most disappointing book of 2018 for me.

The Good:

○ It's in Third Person POV. First person POV seems to be the standard for many YA novels so it's always refreshing when that's not the case

○Every time Argrid was mentioned, my brain decided to pronounce it like Madame Maxime saying 'Agrid' in a French accen
mar ☽
Mar 20, 2017 marked it as to-read
LGBT ROMANCE + PIRATES= A very excited Mar.
I mean, pirates, guys. Come on.
Adah Udechukwu
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
At first I didn't flow with These Rebel Waves. The first 10 chapters was kinda weird.
It took a while before I understood the political situation; It was a mess but later the novel got interesting and fun.

When I started the novel I was so sure of my self that I was never ever ever going to read book 2 but things are different now.

Book 1 started making sense half way.
Four stars to These Rebel Waves
Amanda
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5*

*I received this ARC in exchange for honest review*

The story follows our 3 MCs as their lives intertwine in a Spanish Inquisition inspired post-War setting.

>Adeluna: Former rebel spy, magic expert,badass lady
>Devereux: Pirate/ Stream Raider, mischievous bugger, secretly a cinnamon roll
>Benat: Gay Prince of Argrid, science nerd, heretic

I really loved all of the MCs. That being said, I had a very difficult time connecting with them. This isn’t your typical action packed pirate book,
Kelly Brigid
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, young-adult, fantasy
description

To my dismay, I thought that this book fell very flat. I had such high hopes for it, and loved so many of the individual elements within in. Unfortunately, all these bits and pieces mesh together in odd ways, and aren't descriptive or unique enough to stand out. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, and the romances felt forced. I also would've liked to have seen more privateering. Considering the title of this novel, I was expecting more swashbuckling and plundering, but it wasn't very
Shelby Palmer
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy crap. That was so good.

Vex is a babe and officially on my book boyfriend list.

The world was complex but well explained and thought out. I enjoyed both the political side and the magic system. There was just enough balance to make it interesting.

Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
I've been hearing wonderful things about this one, especially these two words: gay pirates . Sara Raasch, BRING IT ON.
enqi ☁️✨ [joon's]
Sep 01, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018-wishlist
i really want to get the fairyloot version of this book with the pretty green sprayed edges but THE REVIEWS FOR THIS BOOK ARE SO LOW, WHY
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

This isn’t a bad book. As in, it’s not badly written or lazy or offensive. It doesn’t deserve to be relegated to a low rating with books that are all of those things. It just really didn’t do it for me. Part of the problem is that I allowed myself to be swayed by hype. I should have compared the hype to the blurb because I was not in the target audience for this book at all. This book is not about gay pirates.

Imma repeat that:

meh

RTC
Mary Nguyen (fox & wit)
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some thoughts in response to what other people are saying, particularly as a critique.

1) Bland gay characters. Honestly? I hadn’t heard much about this book and didn’t realize it was pitched as an LGBT book. Was it? I don’t know. I can see why people who expected this would be disappointed but for someone who definitely enjoys good LGBT representation, this was not a factor that bothered me. Because that isn’t an expectation I had. Because this was not the POINT of the book. So honestly. If you’
Lea (drumsofautumn)
DNF at a 12% 😭 I was so excited about this, y’all don’t even know. But god, the beginning is so slow and so info-dumpy. Normally at this point I should already be intrigued by something but I'm not.
And thanks to other people's reviews, I know that there’s not a lot of piracy going on, nor are the gay pirates, so I can’t be bothered to give this a bigger chance \_(ツ)_/
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Jul 30, 2017 marked it as anticipated-2018
Shelves: pirates, 2018-august
I'm really late to this party but gay pirates come on!!! 😍
Robin Bonne

~~~~

>>> lgbt romance
>>> pirates

Sign Me The Fuck Up

aaaaaaaaaaa so many books im excited for
Di
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
**I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes were taken from the advanced readers copy and as such may not be accurate or present in the final version**

I buddy read this book with the super awesome Amy from A Magical World of Words. We had the best chats and I always enjoy a buddy read with a #squad member.

I really adored this book. Having not read anything by Raasch before I wasn't sure what to expect but These Rebel Waves exc
Stephanie
Jan 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
Why did I not know about this sooner? GAY PIRATES, YES PLEASE.
Vicky Who Reads
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: drcs
3 stars

Alright, I admit it.

Most of my Goodreads updates have been me complaining about how much I wasn't into this book. And I still keep that feeling, but I've also been thinking about the story and the intricate plotting, and I've had a slight change in heart that pushed this book up a half star.

I can start of with this was definitely not what I've expected. I've never read any of Raasch's previous works, but I've heard some good things. And I kind of expected These Rebel Waves to be a swashbu
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
  • The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Roar (Stormheart, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Sea Witch
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Between the Blade and the Heart (Valkyrie, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)
Sara Raasch has known she was destined for bookish things since the age of five, when her friends had a lemonade stand and she tagged along to sell her hand-drawn picture books too. Not much has changed since then — her friends still cock concerned eyebrows when she attempts to draw things and her enthusiasm for the written word still drives her to extreme measures. Her debut YA fantasy, SNOW LIKE ...more

Stream Raiders (2 books)
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
“Everyone, remain calm,” she announced. “I’m about to blow some shit up.” “Nay!” Vex shouted from the pilothouse. “We’ve a kid here now, all right?” “Sorry. I’m about to chaotically rearrange some shit up.” “That wasn’t the problem—” Vex started to say at the same moment Lu cried, “Don’t—” 1 likes
“You forgive yourself for what you've done," Edda told her. "You admit mistakes. You learn from them. And you improve.” 1 likes