Start by marking “The Yellow Monkey Emperor’s Classic of Chinese Medicine” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Monkey Emperor’s Classic of Chinese Medicine

The Yellow Monkey Emperor’s Classic of Chinese Medicine

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  21 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A horse complains of a chest as tight as a bear's embrace, a goat bleats about skin as dry as parchment, and a rat describes his urine as darker than soya sauce. Join these lively characters and their friends as they seek diagnosis from wise animal sages and the yellow monkey emperor.

Covering 78 syndromes of Chinese medicine, these cartoons graphically illustrate the distu
Published August 18th 2016 by Singing Dragon

Be the first to ask a question about The Yellow Monkey Emperor’s Classic of Chinese Medicine

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Yellow Monkey Emperor’s Classic of Chinese Medicine
Stewart Tame
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Possibly the most unique graphic novel I have ever read. This is one those books that, upon reading the description, you pause, squint, and peer closely at it just to make sure you aren't hallucinating.

So this is a guide to traditional Chinese medicine. In comics form. The Yellow Monkey Emperor is learning TCM from the sage, Bee Bo. The book is divided into four sections, one for each season. Each season begins with a dialogue between the Yellow Monkey Emperor and Bee Bo that culminates in a li
Lora Milton
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is like a complete course in Chinese medicine in graphic novel form. It's mostly in full color and explains the correspondences between ailments of internal organs and symptoms that might be in physical form or personality clues in a sort of parable form.

The book explains meridian point locations according to Traditional Chinese medicine as well as other esoteric terms including Zang Fu syndromes. While I've never been sure what I thought about Chinese medicine and its growing popularity in
Sherin
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Being a student, I read a lot of books related to my course, besides my text books for reference & expanding my knowledge.

TCM is a fascinating way to diagnose, prevent and treat diseases and one of my favorite subjects. I know :) with so many stuff to remember, not many like it ;).

However, when I stumbled upon this book on Net Galley I couldn't wait. I was also curious to find out how the author actually managed to incorporate humour talking about the 78 syndromes of Chinese medicine.

Having t
Anusha Narasimhan
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-giveaways
It was nice to learn about traditional Chinese medicine and the way the diseases were classified. The cute illustrations made the informative book a fun read. Would definitely recommend.

Note - I received a free copy of the book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review in any way.
Matthew Noe
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Taken from my full review on my blog (see profile):

As someone whose knowledge of Chinese medicine has primarily been limited to the negative cultural stereotypes that exist in the United States for such practices, YME was a perfect place to begin. By pairing words and images with stories, it became more plausible as an outsider to understand the methods, the reasoning, and the potential treatments for these ailments than I believe would have been possible otherwise. That said, I do wish there ha
Ionia
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a great book. If you have ever read a standard book on this subject, then you know what a great soporific it can be. This one is different. Ancient Chinese medicinal practice told through the eyes and conversation of multiple cartoon animals is certainly a twist, but one that made this fun rather than boring.

You actually learn quite a lot from this book and find that there are also a lot of opportunities for laughter as the characters poke fun at Western medicine and use sarcasm through
Lili
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
From Netgalley for a Review:

I never thought I would get the chance to read a comic style guide to TCM, and having now done so I can say that this idea was pretty clever. Using brief animal filled stories, a bit of humor (and healthy dose of sarcasm) to explain and illustrate various conditions and imbalances in TCM was awesome, it made it a lot easier to absorb than the usual incredibly long winded dry texts on the subject.

However this book is lacking in what those dry texts contain, which is h
Kelsey
Apr 27, 2018
Nancy
rated it did not like it
Mar 17, 2018
Robert Dale
Donna Smith

• Severance
  • El Deafo
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote, #44)
  • My Degeneration: A Journey Through Parkinson's
  • Young Frances
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • A Year For You: Release the Clutter, Reduce the Stress, Reclaim Your Life
  • How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy
  • The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future
  • Sketch!: The Non-Artist's Guide to Inspiration, Technique, and Drawing Daily Life
  • Manuscript for Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #48)
  • Keep Going: 10 Ways to Stay Creative in Good Times and Bad
  • The Art of Visual Notetaking: An Interactive Guide to Visual Communication and Sketchnoting
  • Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
  • The Man in the Brown Suit (Colonel Race #1)
  • Here All Along: Finding Meaning, Spirituality, and a Deeper Connection to Life-in Judaism (after Finally Choosing to Look There)
  • Craven Manor