Start by marking “The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry, #4)

The Burnt Orange Sunrise (Berger and Mitry #4)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  345 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Everyone from Hollywood heavy hitters and supermodels to rap music stars and high-profile athletes are invited to a party to honor legendary film director Ada Geiger at the faux Castle her husband built for her in Dorset, Connecticut. This is just the kind of event Mitch Berger hates even though he idolizes Ada and credits her for inspiring
Published November 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Burnt Orange Sunrise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burnt Orange Sunrise

Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice mystery, ala And Then There Were None, but the best part for me was the commentary on our culture of "happy endings"- I would really like to read Mitch's book... :)
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
More murder in paradise. Big ice storm
Liz Clappin
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good, solid, old fashioned Agatha Christie style murder at a country house style mystery. And Then There Were None/Ten Little Indians was even referenced several times, though this one had a much happier ending. Good plot twists, plenty of red herrings, just gory enough and all paired with interesting and complex characters and a phenomenal setting. Mitch and Des are at their finest, maturing as characters and staying dynamic, the debut mystery was very good I would say this was even better.
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic "stranded in a remote location in the middle of a snowstorm and then the real shit storm begins with people dying all over the place." I really enjoy this series and this book too. The two main characters are endearing, there is always a cat or two, and the motives are multiple, eccentric, and need to be cleverly unraveled.
Pat Garcia
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Death stinks! Extramarital affairs pain! Hidden incest and rape wreck lives and a mother who does not protect her child are all issues addressed in The Bright Silver Star by David Handler.

We go back to the small affluent village of Dorset, where newcomer and widower, Mitch Berger, is trying to find his balance and get back into life. His feet now planted in the Dorset Community, he reaches out to a group of three men and become a part of their weekly walking group. Soon Mitch will find out that
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you like mysteries with a snowed in theme, you should like this fourth book in the Berger and Mitry series. Mitch and Des are invited to a small intimate dinner at Astrid's Castle. Mitch was invited to meet the legendary ninety four year old Ada Geiger who is one of the century's most remarkable people. She is outspoken and says exactly what she thinks.

Due to the worse ice and snow storm of the winter, the area becomes shut down. Trees, electrical wires are snapping and roads are completely b
Cindy G.
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The story and the mystery itself were fine, but the characters do not feel at all real to me. I loved the theme, though, best stated in this quote from Mitch, the film critic. "Hollywood keeps treating us like little children. That's how they rake in the big bucks -- by encouraging us to choose storybook fantasy over adult reality. And we're only too happy to comply because life is so much easier that way. It's easier to believe in miracle-diet cures than it is to exercise every day and eat righ ...more
Nov 04, 2009 added it
Shelves: snowed, in, cozy, berger, mitry, stranded
"A classic snowed-in mystery, with a tinge of ""And Then There Were None"" (that was mentioned several times, actually). A variety of characters, some Hollywood types, some merely related to them, trapped in an historic castle hotel during one of the worst storm of the wimter. Mitch and Des are two of the guests, of course, and each gets to play to their strengths: movie criticism and murder investigation. [return][return]The character of Ada was great - a woman old enough to no longer care at a ...more
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Its means, dear boy, that it is always a mistake to predict one's own future. Because if you can imagine it happening, if it is rational and makes good sense to you, then that is not what will happen."
"What will?"
"Life will."

Or death will. Nonagenarian Ada Geiger is speaking to her grandson and neither of them know what is in store for them except that the weather man has been right for a change and they are in the midst of a terrible ice storm that is to be followed by several inches of snow. T
Chi Dubinski
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Film critic Mitch Berger is invited to participate in a symposium honoring cultural icon Ada Geiger, a 94-year-old aviator, actress, and photojournalist. The invitations went out to Hollywood movers and shakers, music stars, and journalists from every media outlet around. The event is being held at an historic inn, a faux castle that Ada's former husband had built in Connecticut. But after Mitch arrives, the area is hit with the biggest blizzard in almost one hundred years. When the suspicious d ...more
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
David Handler's series is a treat to read. I love to revisit Mitch, film critic living in tiny Dorset, Connecticut, and his lover and beautiful black police officer Des. Their relationship is the backdrop to the adventures they get into. In this book, Mitch has been invited to meet nonagenarian Ada Geiger, a legendary film director whose family owns a faux castle a few miles outside town. Cut off from the rest of the world due to a relentless snowstorm, Mitch and Des find themselves in a frighte ...more
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty good read - I did figure out who was doing the murdering relatively early but I loved the romantic relationship between Mitch and Des, both of who were in love with each other. The catch was that each had lost their first spouse - Mitch by death a year after they were married and Des by divorce. The setting for the novel was a huge building known as the castle and the murderers were brother and sister, at least that is what the author led us to believe. There may have been another murdere ...more
4th in series: Mitch Berger (film critic) and Des Mitry (Connecticut state trooper). Colors in title series.

Very much a closed room, Agatha Christie-style mystery--think, "Murders in the Castle." Involves a famed 90+ year old female film director and her dysfunctional family. Three murders result--am I remembering an ice storm?
Not my favorite but I like this series. Think Jon Katz (Suburban Detective), Matt Witten (PTA murders).
Nancy H
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth entry in the Berger and Mitry series by David Handler, and quite a good one. The plot is similar to the 'stranded house party including a murderer'-type, but Handler does it well. A winter blizzard and ice storm strands a group of people, including Mitch and Des who were only supposed to be there for dinner, at an old mansion-turned-inn, and murders abound. A good cozy mystery that's not, because it is set in ice and snow!
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the fourth book in the Berger/Mistry series and it was a solid outing. No new ground broken here but the relationship between Mitch and Des continues to evolve and the mystery was pretty good. Sort of a modern day manor house mystery complete with a blizzard stranding everyone with no way in or out and several dead bodies.
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries-crime
David Handler has written a lot of books. This is the first one I've read. I liked it, but found some of the dialogue and relationships a little too forced. The main character, Mitch, is very likable. I might try another Handler book, but probably not on the Berger and Mitry series.
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This one wasn't my favorite out of the series. It was kind of predictable with a hint of Scooby Doo.
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story and I always like stories set in winter. I did figure out who done it before the ending but it was still enjoyable.
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not as creepy as the last two in this series, I enjoyed this book more.
Apr 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great book...Loved It.
Gretchen Stein
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book takes place in about a 36 hour time frame. Suspenseful
Hilde Haugen
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super thrilling read! Interesting characters, and I could not put the book down once the action started!
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
A total rip off of the great Miss Marple series. I loved the first two books of the series, but 3 & 4 were very paint-by numbers & lacking the heart that 1 & 2 had.
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
2.5 stars - just ok, didn't really grab me.
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
  • The Color Of Trouble
  • Big Spankable Asses
  • Child of Her Heart
  • Love's Redemption
  • The Bilbao Looking Glass (Kelling & Bittersohn, #4)
  • Inside Out
  • Circles of Confusion (Claire Montrose, #1)
  • Simply Wicked
  • No Ordinary Love
AKA Russell Andrews (with Peter Gethers)

David Handler, who began his career in New York as a journalist, was born and raised in Los Angeles and published two highly acclaimed novels about growing up there, Kiddo and Boss, before resorting to a life of crime fiction.

More about David Handler...

Berger and Mitry (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Cold Blue Blood (Berger and Mitry, #1)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • The Bright Silver Star (Berger and Mitry, #3)
  • The Sweet Golden Parachute (Berger and Mitry, #5)
  • The Sour Cherry Surprise (Berger and Mitry, #6)
  • The Shimmering Blond Sister (Berger and Mitry, #7)
  • The Blood Red Indian Summer (Berger and Mitry, #8)
  • The Snow White Christmas Cookie (Berger and Mitry, #9)
  • The Coal Black Asphalt Tomb (Berger and Mitry, #10)
  • Lavender Lane Lothario (Berger and Mitry, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99