Start by marking “That Is My Dream!” as Want to Read:
That Is My Dream!

That Is My Dream!

"Dream Variation," one of Langston Hughes's poems about the dream of a world free of discrimination and racial prejudice is now a picture book.

To fling my arms wide

In some place of the sun,

To whirl and to dance

Till the white day is done....

Follow one African-American boy through the course of his day as the harsh reality of segregation and racial prejudice comes into viv
32 pages
Published October 3rd 2017 by Random House/Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about That Is My Dream!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Is My Dream!

Laura Harrison
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can hardly wait for this book to be released to the general public in the fall. It is magnificent! Based on an awesome Langston Hughes poem, the illustrator Daniel Miyares has created his finest work. I am talking Caldecott worthy art. I wish it could be a contender but the ol' Caldecott rules won't allow it. Bravo to Mr. Miyares for creating such an incredible book. You can actually see the love that went into making it. I'm not kidding. Check it out as soon as you can, folks.
Fiona Hill
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks1, ks2, picturebooks
Wow, the power of poetry! A poem by Langston Hughes later illustrated and shared as a picture book by Daniel Miyares. This book reveals the deep truth of inequality by exploring one young boy’s dream. Enabling young readers to empathise and see a dark part of our world that they may not be aware of. The illustrations are stunning. Poem simply gorgeous. You have to read it!
Shannon Kay
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, books-read
Stunning. Such a beautiful blend of poetry and art.
Eleanor
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful combination of poetry and illustration that delicately shows the reality of segregation and racism.
Erika
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
I read this during my toddler storytime! I love having Langston Hughes' poem "Dream Variation" available as a picture book! We not only read the book, but we also talked about what was happening in the pictures. For example, we talked about the color of their skin and how the young boy and his family were sitting in the back of the bus because that's the only section where they were allowed to sit. We talked about two water fountains, and how one said "whites only." I asked open ended questions ...more
Becky
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
First sentence: To fling my arms wide/ In some place of the sun,/ To whirl and to dance/ Till the white day is done./ Then rest at cool evening/ Beneath a tall tree/ While night comes on gently,/ Dark like me--That is my dream!

Premise/plot: That is My Dream is a picture book poem. The poem is Langston Hughes' Dream Variation which was originally published in 1926 in his first poetry collection. The illustrator has placed the poem within the context of the segregated south in the 1950s. The first
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
That is My Dream! is a picture book created by Daniel Miyares using Langston Hughes’s poem “Dream Variation. This book is about a boy who lives in a time of segregation, but dreams of a different world. The gouache illustrations use color beautifully and add to the understanding of the poem by illustrating the segregation that the boy faced and his dream of a different world.

That is My Dream! was selected by the NCTE Award for Excellence in Children’s Poetry Committee as a 2018 Notable Poetry B
Mary Ann
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the way Miyares illustrates this poem from Langston Hughes, focusing on hope and change while still capturing the realities and tensions caused by racial segregation. Outstanding picture book for older readers.
Tina
Hughes' 1926 published poem is a must read in this beautifully illustrated picture book. Read it with your children and then have a great big 'ol family talk about why it was written and how devastatingly real (and, wrong, by the way) these words still are 91 years later. Tugs at the heart...
Brittany Thurman
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Miss Sarah
Langston Hughes poem Dream Variation illustrated with a young boy going through his day and hoping for the future. Beautifula and simple. Baby and up
Raven Howell
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! Even if you're unfamiliar with this poet's work, still a good read!
Donalyn
Beautiful book. Don't miss this one.
Sarah Mason
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I love this book. It can teach students the hardships people have to go through because of discrimination and racial issues. There is a whole history on this from the past and even the present. Students can learn that they can change this notion we have. There can be great lessons brought to the classroom with this book.
Grace Noto
Title: That is My Dream!
Author: Langston Hughes
Illustrator: Daniel Miyares
Genre: picture book of poems
Theme(s): Racism, acceptance, family, freedom
Opening line/sentence: “To fling my arms wide in some place of the sun, to whirl and dance until the white day is done.”

Brief book summary: That is My Dream is a picture book that was made to illustrate Langston Hughes’ poem “Dream Variation.” The poem follows a young boy who lives in a dream world where racism and prejudice does not exist.

Profession
Amy Layton
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
I’ve only recently starting reading and searching for Langston Hughes' works, and this is probably one of the best retellings/adaptations/poems I've seen!  It's happy, celebratory, analytical.  It doesn't shy away from segregation, doesn't shy away from the harsh truths and realities of what it means to be black.  Both the illustrations and poem are bright, hopeful, inspiring.  This is a perfect book to purchase in preparation for next month, and to simply have on your bookshelf.

Review cross-li
Brianne Tase
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
1. Summary: This story is a tale of a boy dreaming about a day when all humans are seen as equal amongst one another. Through the poem Dream Variations by Langston Hughes, this variation recites the poem using pictures as a guide to embrace the message being portrayed.

2. Review: This is a powerful poem. Once just words, now this poem is being portrayed through pictures showing a young boy dreaming of a brighter future for people of his race and for everyone. In hopes of some day seeing equality,
Michael Lausche
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
A picture book that can relate to others who may feel not understood, discriminated, or left out, leaves a long lasting impact on the one reading it. This book does a phenomenal job with simple a simple rhyme scheme of literature that is straight to the point, but makes the reader think. The theme of this book is describing a young African American boy's dream, of sharing a day with other people who are white. They boy and his family are discriminated by the color of their skin, and go through d ...more
Kris
Beautiful.
Illustrated in gouache, text hand-lettered by the illustrator.
Book shape is wide and short, entire book is illustrated in double page spreads, expansive, like a bird's wings outstretched.
Illustration on cover summarizes the entire book, joyful expression on boy's face, sitting on top of a bird with wings outstretched.
Endpapers are midnight blue, dark, like night, the time for dreaming.
Definite progression in the illustrations, one links to the next, elements on one page, like the water
Sara Lenahan
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Using the lines of Langston Hughes famous poem, "Dream Variations" on each page, this is a story about a young African American boy's dream for how his world should be. He sees himself playing and dancing until the day is done and then resting under a dark sky that reminds him of himself.
Initially, I didn't know how I felt about this concept, but the illustrator really makes this book possible. Langston Hughes words float across the images that give it life. Without the images, I had read and i
Tasha
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Miyares turns the poem “Dream Variation” by Langston Hughes into a picture book that shows a segregated town in the 1950s. There are separate drinking fountains for white and black people and the races are separate when they relax as well. Then the book changes with a feeling of whirling and release into a book that shows equality, shared time together and the hope of a day spent in harmony. The book is infused with hope, showing how possibilities of freedom and equality can be realized eventual ...more
Barbara
I've always been moved by the poetry of Langston Hughes, and this poem is one of my favorites as well as one that always pleased my students in New Orleans. Whether they loved it because of how it seemed to celebrate the essence of freedom and self-expression or as an evocative call for change, the poem takes on even more significance with the illustrations that show tender love for oneself but also how things were changing since they feature scenes that show how the Jim Crow laws operated. Stil ...more
Jordan
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
That Is My Dream, is a wonderful picture book that can relate to almost anyone. It is about a young African American boy and his dream of sharing a day with other people who are white. The boy and his family are continually discriminated against due to the color of their skin, and they are forced to go through life segregated from those of different races. The watercolor illustrations are beautifully done, and compliment the text well which helps younger readers better comprehend what exactly is ...more
KM YIP
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel like I am a "Drem Chaser". I feel curious and excited every time I see dream on a book cover. That Is My Dream! by Langston Hughes is a wonderful book. I was attracted by the beautiful book cover. This book is about a boy who lives in a time of segregation but dreams of a different world in his own mind. He reminds me to always dream big and never give up. I found myself enjoy reading it even though I am not a big fan of poems. If you want to start reading poems, I would recommend you to ...more
Sandy Brehl
This adaptation of Langston Hughes DREAM VARIATION is illustrated with the tones and styles of mid-century art, preserving the atmosphere and cultural reality of those years. and yet... without distorting the truth of those times, this treatment exposes and expands the hope and dignity of the original work while hinting at the shifts over time. The images and page turns of this lovely book are perfectly paced to allow even the youngest readers to imagine themselves in its visionary story.(Sadly, ...more
Heidi-Marie
I always enjoyed reading Hughes' poetry in junior high and high school. While not life-changing in the way it was for the illustrator, it still stood out. And I love Miyares interpretation. Great pictures. A beautiful interpretation needed in his time as a high school student, and unfortunately still needed today.
Great Books
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ages-6-7
Contrasting a young boy's reality living under segregation with his dream for desegregation, Miyares beautifully illustrated the famous Langston Hughes poem "Dream Variation". A thoughtful introduction to social justice, this picture book is multilayered with illustrations at times whimiscal.

Reviewer #21
Allison
Reading this beautiful picture book brought unexpected tears to my eyes. The pairing of Langston Hughes familiar poem with Daniel Miyares interpretation brought a new level of meaning, and a little bit of hope.

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Sam
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An illustrated poem that let's you explore the problematic aspects of Jim Crow American history as much or as little as you'd like.

The pictures give great talking points (including a whites only/coloreds drinking fountain) but is gentle, uplifting, and inspiring as Hughes' Dream Variation can be.

• Bravo!: Poems About Amazing Hispanics
  • Peaceful Pieces: Poems and Quilts About Peace
  • Poem-Mobiles: Crazy Car Poems
  • Read! Read! Read!
  • Things to Do
  • Write to Me: Letters from Japanese American Children to the Librarian They Left Behind
  • One Last Word: Wisdom from the Harlem Renaissance
  • Wet Cement: A Mix of Concrete Poems
  • Imagine
  • Firefly July: A Year of Very Short Poems
  • Thunder Underground
  • I Am Loved
  • Flutter and Hum / Aleteo y Zumbido: Animal Poems / Poemas de Animales
Langston Hughes was an American poet, social activist, novelist, playwright, short story writer, and columnist. He was one of the earliest innovators of the then-new literary art form jazz poetry. Hughes is best known for his work during the Harlem Renaissance. He famously wrote about the period that "Harlem was in vogue."