Start by marking “The Battle of Hackham Heath (Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years #2)” as Want to Read:
The Battle of Hackham Heath (Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years #2)

The Battle of Hackham Heath

(Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years #2)

THE SAME WORLD. BRAND NEW STORIES.

The peace in Araluen is under threat and newly crowned King Duncan must prepare for war. Morgarath is in hiding, recruiting an army of savage beasts known as Wargals for his next attack.

Halt prepares for a seemingly impossible task – to scale the Mountains of Rain and Night to spy on the enemy and uncover their plans.

He knows that one wron
ebook
Published December 1st 2016 by RHCP Digital (first published October 31st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle of Hackham Heath, please sign up.
Stephanie I just finished reading it the other day and it's so good!
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Les Shaeffer
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Justyna
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I should probably give this book 4 stars, but well, it was so easy and fast read and I love the idea of the prequels to Ranger's Apprentice series. I read the first book, Ruins of Gorlan, many years ago. I liked the idea of mysterious and skillful Rangers, who could shoot the bow like no one else, and ordinary people knew so little about them that they actually thought the Rangers were wizards of some kind, who could become invisible.
My favorite character has always been Halt. Grumpy, seemingly
Jane Maree
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Onward to the flailing of a fangirl. I did rather love this. (Hence it took me three hours to read from cover to cover) There is so much that excites me about returning to the great old kingdom of Araluen and the great old characters that are all so familiar.
(Disclaimer: actually, I don't really know quite why I rated it 4 stars rather than 5...it just struck me as not quite 5-star stuff. Almost, but not quite)

It was so fun to get back to the old characters that I remember, and quiz my brain on
Skip
Rangers Halt and Crowley are once again called upon to defend the realm for Duncan. Halt is sent off to spy on Morgarath and his band of Wargals, gaining valuable intelligence while Crowley accompanies the Queen to a spa during her difficult pregnancy. The serial introduction of important characters in the latter series was fun, as well as learning more backstories, but there is too much meandering and repetition in the novel, which could have been omitted.
Alice
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed by this book. I must admit, I started it with a bad attitude. The end was alright, but I did not find it a good book.

The first sentence was lame. The first 100 pages were also lame. I did not care about the characters or about the story. It is a prequel, I know who lives at the end. There should have been more there to care about. When you read a good book you actually care about the outcome.

The action got a bit better towards the last 1/3 of the book. But I still was not comp
Kathleen
Of course this is a good read, if too focused on coffee and meals. But I love the relationship between Halt and Crowley and young Gilan, King Duncan and Baron Arald. Fun to see the birth of Princess Cassandra and the origins of Will, Horace, and the other wards (orphans).
If I hadn't already read The Ruins of Gorlan and The Burning Bridge, this book wouldn't have felt somewhat anticlimactic and predictable. But that's the risk when an author writes prequels to a finished series.

Flanagan repeated
Emily
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic John Flanagan book. I love this world and the characters and getting to see Halt and Crowley in their younger years. Parts of this book made me want a whole series dedicated to Gilan and his backstory with Halt... but I can't wait to see what comes next.
Kevin Topolovec
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately, this book was light on the usual banter of the series, which is really the main reason why I read these.
Misty
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS...
As much as I love the Ranger's Apprentice series, I'm sad to only rate this book 3.5 STARS. I enjoyed this book, but it seemed a bit repetitive at times.
The title is The Battle of Hackham Heath and when the battle came, it just came and went. It just didn't seem like much of a battle to me. Everything that came before was more exciting than the battle.
I don't remember much about the first book in this prequel series, but did it mention the Wargals in it? How did these Beasts come ab
Suzanna
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I didn't enjoy this book as much as other Ranger's Apprentice novels, but it was still a good middle-grade read.
Glenn
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as other books in the series, but still enjoyable. A little disappointed in the ending, maybe that's a another book...
Turah
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I really liked it how it gave more information about how the battle of Hackham Heath went. And It followed how it went after wards.
Vivian Chen (Vivian's Book Pavilion)
This is post originally on Vivian's Book Pavilion

Yeah!! I’ve finally read this book!!!! Congrats to me!!! I actually bought it last year, as soon as it was released. But…I didn’t read it until now. What am I waiting? Like…I don’t know…I realize that my reading process is rather slow during the semester…although I haven’t had a lot of work to do. (Wait…like hell I don’t have works to do…I’ve tons!) Now…I’ve loved Halt and Crowley, and i especially love how John Flanagan put all those character
Yumimi
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This would have done better as a novella perhaps, because this really felt stretched and to be honest, not entirely necessary.
Suzzy Jims
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow . He did it again!! It was just so amazing words can't describe how much I loved it!!!!!!! It answered some of my questions too ! You'll love it!!!!!
Ashley
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 stars

Whether I should be reading this prequel series to Ranger's Apprentice is up for debate; however, I know I am definitely enjoying it. After reading The Tournament at Gorlan, I was ready for the next book in this series.

The Battle of Hackham Heath was an exciting book. Most of the book was spent on various battles that the Rangers and kingdom fight against Morgarath who is now equipped with some deadly allies, the Wargals. By controlling the Wargals with mind control, Morgarath can s
Stephanie
Wow. It felt unbelievably good to be back in the world of Ranger’s Apprentice. I have been reading these books for the last decade (literally) and am so loving Flanagan’s Early Years series.

After reading The Tournament at Gorlan, I was a tad worried picking this one up that I wouldn’t love it. I enjoyed The Tournament at Gorlan but I didn’t absolutely love it. I was worried that I was finally outgrowing the series. I’m happy to report I am not. The Battle of Hackham Heath was emotional and thril
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
I didn't not enjoy this book, but I didn't love it. I would probably have liked it more if I'd already read the actual series first.

I did enjoy the characters. They are clever and capable and The interactions are engaging.

The plot itself was predictable and a little slow in places. It was also very focused on battle strategy, which isn't really my kind of thing. My main complaint, though, came in the repetitive nature of the writing; we were often told, more than once, things that we didn't ne
Lauren Debeuckelaere
Mostly for nostalgia's sake. That ending though.
Clayton Wilcox
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Karen ⊰✿
Ranger's Apprentice is such a great series, I was so excited about this prequel series and it doesn't disappoint. The epilogue to this book was especially revealing, but it is also great to revisit all these characters and learn more about their back story.
Great audio narrations too
Sean Little
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the Ranger's Apprentice series. I love John Flanagan's work.

I hate prequels.

There was no drama. We all knew who would live and die.

Prequels are rarely worth it.
Melenia
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
Absolutely loved it!
Lord
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THESE BOOKS! They are full of everything! I'll have to read them again!
MrsLynn
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read in this awesome world!
Avery (Book Deviant)
See more of my reviews on my blog the Book Deviant

No correlation between previous book or original series

Let me just say this first. If you're writing a book, and there's a SLIVER of a possibility that there COULD be a prequel-whether you write it first or last-you have to match your facts. You can tell nearly immediately that that isn't what Flanagan did. Not only did he go against facts he presented in the original series, but he also flipped facts around in the first book, The Tournament at G
Elaine
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
- ̗̀  jess  ̖́-
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
This was a lot higher quality than some of the more recent Ranger's Apprentice book, but still at times missing the banter and wit that I loved from the original series. The battle tactics are back. In full force. I really do love the way Flanagan describes battle scenes. It's easy to understand where everything is, and very descriptive, but at the same time full of action.

Also: (view spoiler)
Clare Farrelly
It took me a while to get into this book. As much as I love the series and a lot of the humour a lot of the things that were meant to be funny at the beginning just felt forced. It also took a few chapters to get to somewhere where things really started happening. I much prefer if a book is page turning from the start, we had to read through pages and pages about a castle that was unoccupied being destroyed, and really it had no bearing on the rest of the story at all.

I only began to really enj
Kathleen Guinnane
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
I enjoyed the story. I liked understanding where more of the characters from the original series met and seeing some of that play out. However, I feel that the author has gotten even wordier than before. I like some description, but I felt myself skipping ahead in some places to see where the description ended and the next action began. I haven't done that in any of his other books and I've read all of the others in all 3 series related to this one. About the 5th time I read about how the Ranger ...more
Alex
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
While the stories are beginning to become a little formulaic, this is still Halt and the Rangers and non stop action. Picking up almost immediately after book one, Halt and Crowley are still chasing after Mogarath and his new found army of Wargals. Of course there is a giant battle at the end which was very exciting. What is also fun are the little hints and threads thrown in that lead events in the earlier series. 3.75
Oakleaf Bearers: The Early Years: The Battle of Hackham Heath 1 8 Oct 20, 2016 05:20PM

• The Opal Deception: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #4)
  • Pookie Aleera Is Not My Boyfriend
  • Josephine Wants to Dance
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
  • Spot Can Count (Color): First Edition
  • Other Worlds
  • Dragon Overnight (Upside-Down Magic, #4)
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • A Middle-earth Traveller: Sketches from Bag End to Mordor
  • Ratscalibur
  • Exploits of the Chalet Girls
  • Meet Grace (Our Australian Girl - Grace, #1)
  • Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left (Zyrgon, #1)
  • The Skeleth (The Nethergrim, #2)
  • Return to Planet Tad
  • The Towers of Illica (Star of Deltora, #3)
  • Half A World Away
  • Prisoner of the Black Hawk (The Mapmaker Chronicles #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years (3 books)
  • The Tournament at Gorlan (Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years, #1)
  • Untitled (Ranger’s Apprentice: The Early Years #3)
“The soldiers chuckled. One of them, a grizzled veteran, rose and walked over to where Duncan and his two senior officers were standing. He made a show of inspecting the ground, brushing aside a few twigs and rocks, then spread out a none-too-clean neckerchief and gestured for the King to sit. “There you go, my lord. Your royal bum should be comfortable there.” The” 3 likes
“The men chorused their understanding. Halt studied them for a moment or two, making sure they had all grasped the idea. He didn’t want anyone to get carried away in the excitement of the moment and charge down on the massed ranks of Wargals. Cavalrymen did tend to get excited, he knew. But he could see from their faces that they all knew this was to be a feint. “All” 1 likes