Start by marking “Stumptown Spirits (Legend Tripping, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stumptown Spirits  (Legend Tripping, #1)

Stumptown Spirits

(Legend Tripping #1)

What price would you pay to rescue a friend from hell?

For Logan Conner, the answer is almost anything. Guilt-ridden over trapping his college roommate in a ghost war rooted in Portland’s pioneer past, Logan has spent years searching for a solution. Then his new boyfriend, folklorist Riley Morrel, inadvertently gives him the key. Determined to pay his debt—and keep Riley sa
Published May 16th 2016 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Stumptown Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stumptown Spirits

Wart Hill
Mar 07, 2016 marked it as gave-up
i'm done!

it started out so well but then the portrayals of showbiz are terrible and a character just implied all actors are self absorbed.

one of the quickest ways to get me to DNF is to portray acting/show business badly. I was really looking forward to this one, too.
Missy~
May 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~possible spoilers in this review~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What to say about this book? I really liked the premise, it was different. I liked the ghost story/ghost hunter plotline. The writing and dialog were good.
I was hooked into the mystery elements. I just didn't like Logan or Riley that much. Riley was cute, but was kind of a door mat.
And Logan, well how can you like a MC who never chooses the other MC. At the risk of spoiling a main plot point.
Possible spoilers!!!!!
Ije the Devourer of Books
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it

I thought this was quite an enjoyable paranormal story. Seven years ago Logan lost his friend Trent in a haunting which took place in a local site known as a place of tragedy and hauntings. Every seven years a ghostly reenactment of a fatal family feud takes place.

Having lost his friend Trent to this ghostly manifestation, Logan sets out to find a way to get him back. Seven years later he has fallen in love with Riley and has hope for his future but troubled by the memories of his lost friend he
Didi
As much as I liked the idea of the Ghost War and the effects it had on the MCs, the delivery of the story felt shallow for me.

Individually, Logan and Riley were a nice enough characters. As a not-really-couple though, they were... Meh. I lost count on how many times both of them changed their minds, failed to go through with their resolve then withdrew again.

On the supernatural front, the closure seemed too incidental and happened by chance, it was disappointing. Well. Next time (story) better
llv
Dec 05, 2017 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Rating: DNF

The characters in this book just didn't grab me. It didn't take me very long to realize that I didn't really care what happened to them. Maybe I'll revisit when I'm in a different mind space, but I really don't think this book is for me.
Lillian Francis
Logan was a dick pretty much right to the end (even if he thought he had a valid reason for his dickish behaviour). But once I was over some confusion in the first couple of chapters I really enjoyed this book; the plot more than the relationship.
Joyfully Jay
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: veronica
A Joyfully Jay review.

Stumptown Spirits is an interesting, contemporary reconnection romance that also features some paranormal elements. While the premise was excellent, I felt as if the execution didn’t quite hit the mark.

Riley and Logan were serious boyfriends—on the verge of a marriage proposal—when Logan disappeared from Riley’s apartment and life in what may have been a staged scene of infidelity. Riley’s life seemed to implode after this incident. He walked away from completing
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Full review will follow.

The cover, title and blurb of this book really drew me in

I loved the idea of this book and there was a lot of potential, but the execution was not as smooth as I hoped. There was some cheesy dialogue, several plot holes and some character actions that did not make sense to me. There were some nice moments as well and the book was fun at times and had me interested in finding out how the author resolved everything in the end. Still, while I didn't hate the book, it was ju
Teresa
3.5 stars. Interesting premise but I couldn’t connect with Logan.
Lori S.
Thoroughly enjoyed this story about Riley, Logan, and their adventures into Legend Tripping. Look forward to Trevor's story.
Diane Dannenfeldt
I didn't like the majority of the book because Logan was just TSL. It had to be him, there was not other way but for him to sacrifice himself, can't explain it to the one I love, etc etc. Once they finally got back together, towards the end of the book, I then really enjoyed it. But that was just a small portion of the book. Even though I didn't really care for it, it won't stop me from continuing on with the series.
A. L. Lester
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A contemporary paranormal romance, with wounded heroes (my favorite!) wrestling with both the supernatural and their own emotions. I really like the folk-lore base of this one, although I did get cross with Logan because honestly, wouldn't it just be better to talk to your boyfriend instead of being all self-sacrificing and mysterious? Nevertheless a five star read for me and I have just bought the sequel.
Tam
Mar 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, other-paranormal
Yeah, Logan was a dick. He was traumatized by having a friend lost to the spirits but he didn't seem to think that leaving his boyfriend traumatized was a problem. His trauma was greater than everyone else's so he was justified in whatever he did. Get a grip dude. I like the mystery part but I was just so annoyed with him I didn't have much faith in their relationship.
Toofan
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
The plot idea had a lot of potential and concept of the ghost war was really interesting. But unfortunately the plot execution was far from good. I already knew that this author's characters act and behave extremely illogical and immature but in this story the characters give illogical and immature a whole new definition.
Kragthang
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-paranormal
Wow... the book started sooo good. Great blurb, great writing, interesting plot and interesting characters. And then there was guilt-ridden Logan and while I get where he came from, he didn't deserve a sweet guy like Riley. In his quest to make things right, he hurt Riley again and again. Very unlikeable MC.
Silkeeeeeereads
Decent

This is a heavy on storyline book. The characters seemed to me as two dimensional, I would guess due to the heavy storyline. If you enjoy a research-type ghost lure story, this book I'd for you.
Debbie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read, an interesting take on a ghost story. I liked Logan and Riley, both together and apart. The TV crew was an annoying edition.
Nathan
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-romance
Complex characters with their own motivations. While I'm not certain how much I personally would put up with Logan levels of assholishness, good on Riley for finally getting his guy.
Andrea
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Not great but I definitely enjoyed it. Good writing.
Terri Jones
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, man. This book. These characters! This is the kind of story where the longer I think about it now I'm done, the better I like it, and I loved it. So what are you waiting for? Go!
Veronica of V's Reads
This review was written for Joyfully Jay Reviews and can be accessed here: http://joyfullyjay.com/2016/05/review...

3.5 Stars.

Angela Goodrich
Sooooo, I went back and forth as to whether or not I was going to review this book. I’m not a big fan of ghost stories. I’m not a fan of time travel themes. I’m really, really not a fan of reality-style ghost hunting shows. And yet, something about the blurb kept calling me back to it. I said no. Then I said maybe. I said no, again. Then I said, oh heck, I’ll give it a go. [Thank you, boss lady, for being patient with my indecisive self.] When I saw that the book was creeping up on my review sch ...more
ItsAboutTheBook
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faye
Review can be read at It's About The Book

Riley Morrel wants to know why his boyfriend, Logan Conner, cheated on him then dumped him. Things were good. Really good. When Riley happens to be in the same town where Logan now lives he just so happens to go to the bar where Logan works. Logan is stunned. He’s still so much in love with Riley, but he has a goal and he doesn’t want Riley hurt. Riley has his own job to do. He works as a folklorist on a TV show that explores myths and folklo
Gillian
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it

While I thought the premise of this story was quite good, the execution and the editing left a little bit to be desired. The MC’s are likable enough, as are the side characters, but the writing lacked the style and tension needed to make this ghost story truly entertaining.

Logan, the anti-hero with a heart of gold, is looking for the key to rescuing Trent, an old boyfriend who has been inadvertently trapped in a ghost war that plays out every 7 years. Afte
Susan65
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a very hard book for me to review. On one hand, I loved the ghost hunters and ghost legends theme, and I obviously love gay romance novels, but two complex storylines made for a very difficult reading experience. Don’t get me wrong, the book is well written, and it was enjoyable…but, just a tad long and drawn out. I believe my issue was the complete development of too many secondary characters. I really don’t think I needed to know so much about them and I found myself skimming because ...more
Queue
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing

This book was a roller coaster of emotions and action. I picked this book because I’d read and enjoyed Northern Lights by E.J. Russell. Stumptown Spirits was another excellent story. Russell has a way with words that can truly pull you into the story.

There’s a lot going on in the book, sometimes too much, but at the heart of the story are ex-lovers Riley and Logan. Riley hasn’t gotten over being dumped and hasn’t gotten closure. Riley’s back in Portland working on an episode of the sho
Jen
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read the full review on Bookaholics Not-So-Anonymous.

Note: This ARC was provided by Riptide Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

A second chance between two men who still love each other while dealing with spirits that have made it to the mortal world and mortals who have switched places with? Yes, please. I love paranormal reads and when merged with another favorite genre--romance--it feels like double the fun. Stumptown Spirits has both the paranormal and romance, although the latter co
Sadie Forsythe
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5, round up

I have to admit that, while I didn't dislike this, it wasn't a big winner for me either. As much as I liked Riley and Logan (and I did), as interesting as I found the mystery (and it was), as amusing as I found the side characters (and they were), as often as I laughed (and I did ) I thought this was inelegantly written and at times just too over the top.

I completely understood that the characters were meant to be conflicted, wanting one thing but trying to do another, but the const
Elisa Rolle
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
2016 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention: Stumptown Spirits by E.J. Russell
1) This was a very enjoyable, fast paced story. I loved the chemistry between the main characters and the plot was original and kept me reading straight through.
2) Ho.lly.Crap! What a ride this story was! I'm so excited to have had the honor of reading this wonderful, fast paced book. At first, I wasn't sure what was going on with Logan, why he wouldn't reveal what his motives were, and why he hid so much information from fr
E.J. Russell –grace, mother of three, recovering actor–writes romance in a rainbow of flavors. Count on high snark, low angst and happy endings.

Reality? Eh, not so much.

Legend Tripping (2 books)
  • Wolf's Clothing (Legend Tripping, #2)