Start by marking “Dig In!” as Want to Read:
Dig In!

Dig In!

Dig in to this vibrant picture book that celebrates all the surprises found down in the dirt!

I dig in the dirt...and find a seed.
Seed waits.
I dig in the dirt...and find a spider.
Spider runs.

Published (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dig In!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dig In!

Start your review of Dig In!
Matt
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short little book about what happens when a little boy digs into the dirt and all he can find. There is much to see and all sorts of life in the ground, which has also been something that Neo notices every time he turns over a rock. By the end, Neo felt it was high time we should start gardening, which is something a friend of mine has already been hinting. Looks like I better get some gardening gloves before they sell out!
Kristina Jean Lareau
A perfectly springy and muddy read aloud for a toddler or baby crowd!
Emily
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I dig in the dirt…and find a worm. Worm wiggles. I did in the dirt…and find a rock. Rock sits. I dig in the dirt…and find a pill bug. Pill bug curls. I dig in the dirt…and find a seed. Seed waits. I dig in the dirt…and find a spider. Spider runs…I dig in the dirt…and find a sprout. Sprout grows. I dig in the dirt…and find dirt! Dirt squishes. Then I water the dirt and find…MUD!"

Simple text, great large illustrations (so everyone in a large storytime will be able to see details). Would work as "
Kellee Moye
Full review with teaching tools and author guest post: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=9291

Both of Cindy Jenson-Elliott’s books have truly made me want to get down and dirty in the garden which, if you know me, is exactly the opposite of what you would guess I want to do. Jenson-Elliott has a way of making the ordinary, and dirty, seem extraordinary. It would be great to have students catalog all of the things they find in a dirt. This would make their trips outside quite exciting!
Kelly
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A simple presentation of some of the wonders of digging in the dirt. The expressions of the worm are my favorite part and my adult curiosity was frustrated the reader doesn't learn what the seed grows into but overall a great introduction to spring, gardening, bugs, and dirt! ...more
Kimberly
Used this one for Family Storytime (spring) on 5/9/18. The parents seemed to really like it, the kids were not as enthused. I would definitely use it again though, because the pictures are very cute and the text is simple. It works well as a quick second book.
Megan
The simple, yet vivid illustrations dive into the world underneath the dirt. Simple text that explores the natural world in the the earth. This could make a great addition to a storytime about gardening or spring/summer.
Christy
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great storytime book!
J F
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book is great to read as a standing story or a fingerplay.
Katy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This would probably logically be good for storytime, but I don't like it. Art is weird and the concepts are a little weird too. ...more
Shari
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
A child discovers life underground as s/he plants a seedling.
Donna Mork
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you find in dirt? Lots of things. And if you add water...mud!
Super simple text with fun illustrations, great short book to fill out a garden or spring themed story time.
Colorado Buck
enjoyed this book, it rhymes, it has very few words on the page.
Jannah
The narrator digs into the dirt and finds a number of interesting things. Will keep kids wondering what will be found next.
Rebecca Gomez
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very simple book for the youngest gardeners.
Leslie
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book to share with the toddler in Storytime! Lots of good interaction, too.
Tracy Morton
This is a really simple book which would be good for a preschool crowd. I would be good for a gardening, dirt or bug storytime.
Michelle
This picture book is perfect for toddlers! Read this story with vibrant illustrations and explore all the creepy, crawly things discovered while playing in the dirt.
Caroline
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute, simple story about what a child might find in the dirt. I would recommend this for a toddler to preschool audience!
Darinda
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little boy digs in the dirt and finds all kinds of fun stuff... a worm, a bug, a seed, a rock, etc. A cute, fun story to read with a toddler.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Explore the fun of the outdoors, and digging in the dirt, with this cute picture book. Dig In! is a great book for kids who love getting their hands dirty, and exploring the outdoors. Young readers will love discovering what they can find when they dig in and play in the dirt. With cute illustrations, and an easy to read story, readers will find a worm, a seed, a rock, a potato bugs (pill bugs), and more. DigIn! and discover the fun adventure of the outdoors with this adorable picture book! You ...more
Ricki
Reading this book made me want to get outside in my garden! Oh, I cannot wait for spring! When my son and I read this book, I kept pointing to the pictures and telling him about all of the digging we will do this spring, and I am excited to have this book (and Jenson-Elliot's Weeds Find a Way) on hand for when the time comes! We live in Connecticut, so we can't quite do any digging yet. This book emanates warmth, and it will make kids want to go outside and start exploring! Cindy Jenson-Elliot s ...more
Lynn
An original presentation of a forever-favorite place to play - in the dirt!
Repetition of the phrase, "I dig in the dirt..." will encourage little ones to read along. The sentence starts on the right hand page and the reader has to turn the page to see what happens - encourages predictions and relating personal experiences.
From the CIP data: "Illustrations were created using linoleum black prints on paper with some digital touch ups." Full color with little specks, resembling dirt with it's speci
Christine Turner

I dig in the dirt...and find a seed.
Seed waits.
I dig in the dirt...and find a spider.
Spider runs.

Explore all of the creepy, crawly, dirty, muddy, green, and growing things that can be found outside in the garden. From pill bugs to worms to leafy green sprouts, young readers will love discovering the muddy garden habitat within the pages of this book--and outside in their own backyards!
Barbara
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Teachers could use this book to introduce a unit on earth and earthworms for kindergarteners or 1st graders. It has a lot of simple words and repetitive phrases that would make it a great early reader for classroom use. The pictures are also simple and straightforward and could be adapted for bulletin board or flannel board. For ages 2 -6.
White House Public Library
Fun, colorful illustrations show a child having fun exploring in the dirt. Kids can easily relate to this story in real life! Easy text makes this a quick read and allow for parents to engage in conversation with their child(s) about what they find when they dig in the dirt!
Cara Byrne
As a reader who spends quite a bit of time out in the garden with her 2yo, I was hoping that this colorful book with simple sentences would be a fun read for us. I appreciate the pill bugs and mud, but it just wasn't very compelling and the illustrations not my favorite. ...more
Lisa D
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book for spring ! Loved it
Pernille Ripp
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great addition to Kindergarten or lower

• Alma and How She Got Her Name