Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

Ruby and Ethan were perfect for each other. Until the day they suddenly weren't.

Now, ten years later, Ruby is single, having spent the last decade focusing on her demanding career and hectic life in Manhattan. There's barely time for a trip to England for her little sister's wedding. And there's certainly not time to think about what it will be like to see Ethan again, who
Published September 22nd 2016 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

abby
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, contemporary
Persuasion is one of my favorite books. The One That Got Away is a modern retelling that almost feels like an insult to the original. It's a candy-coated morsel-- the processed junk food version of Austen's classic love story, stripped of any complexity.

And you know what? It tastes pretty good. Who doesn't like a bag of M&Ms once in a while (or all the time; lets not talk about it)?

Captain Frederick Wentworth is one of the greatest romantic heroes in all of literature (I have a bit of a crus
Irena
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first heard about The One That Got Away few months ago I was very excited.
The premise sounded like something right up my alley and the gorgeous cover made it even more appealing.
Saying that I was happy when I got a chance to read an early copy of this novel would probably be an understatement. I was beyond thrilled.

As you can probably imagine, when it comes to my expectations for this book, they were pretty high.
But guess what?
I finished this book satisfied with what I read.

The One That G
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I've loved Jane Austen since I read my first book by her years ago and after that, I was hooked and had to read all of them. And while Pride and Prejudice will always be a favorite of mine, Persuasion is right up there with it. It is hard to resist Captain Wentworth and all his charm.

I am never one to turn down the chance to visit an old classic with a new modern spin and even though ore often than not I've been burned by Pride and Prejudice retellings, I thought it was just about time that I r
BookLover
ARC requested through Netgalley, and kindly provided by St. Martin's Press in exchange for an honest review.

I’ve heard this described as a modern telling of “Persuasion” by Jane Austen and I guess I can see it. This was a cute and charming “second chance” romance that just slightly missed the mark for me, through no fault in the writing.

“I’m going to channel that “cool girl” thing from Gone Girl.”
“You know that character was a sociopath, right?”

I am quite particular in how I like stories to un
Louise Wilson
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ruby is forced to face the past when she attends her staters wedding. She knows she will have to face Ethan, the only man she truly loved.

Ruby is almost living her dream life. She has recently been promoted at work. Her sole focus has been on her career.

Ethan is now a successful, wealthy businessman. Ethan was distraught after their breakup and does not want to make the same mistake again.

This is a ice, easy, true love story. It has that feel good feeling you get while reading.

I would like to th
Rebekah
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thank goodness for Instagram, because seriously, sometimes I find more books there than I do on Goodreads! Who knew?! So, I came across this book, looked it up on Goodreads for more info and borrowed the book! Um hello, it’s a modern retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion! Now, usually, I am not pleased with these modern retellings of any of Jane Austen’s books because well, usually they are just insults to the originals and unfortunately this was no exception.

The problem with these modern retell
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY is a book that I was interested in reading because I had read that it was a modern retelling of PERSUASION by Jane Austen. I love modern retellings. I usually don't read much contemporary romance fiction, but I have a weakness for retellings so I was thrilled to get the chance to read this book.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Jessica
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Seeing as this was pitched as a modern-day Persuasion retelling, I couldn't wait to start it. I'm a sucker for any book inspired by Jane Austen, so I had some high expectations going into this one.

Ten years ago, Ruby and Ethan were madly in love. Now, not so much. Not having seen each other in years, Ruby and Ethan are thrown together for Ruby's sister's wedding in England. Ethan has definitely changed over the years and has gone from a bartender to a millionaire who has a lot going for him. Ru
Asheley
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

I love that The One That Got Away by Melissa Pimentel is pitched as a Persuasion retelling, because I think that’s one of the most fun things about this story. I think it’s a loose retelling, but the nod to Jane Austen is most definitely in there. This story is basically two people from a past relationship that are reunited after several years–under somewhat strained circumstances-and there are still feelings there, at least on one side. To me, the fun in reading this was wondering 1) what
K.S. Marsden
Ruby is always on the go, but is forced to stop and face her past, when she attends her sister's wedding. She knows that she will have to see Ethan, the only guy she has ever loved.

I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

This is a nice book.
Each chapter is either "Then", slowly revealing how Ruby and Ethan got together and why they broke up ten years ago. Or "Now", with Ruby as a workaholic in New York, trying not to pine over the now-millionaire Ethan.

Ruby's sister is determined to
Jaclyn
Like most readers I picked up The One That Got Away due to its marketing as a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Persuasion. The One That Got Away had some of the themes from the original, but quite frankly did not live up to expectations. This was light and fluffy, starting strong, but ultimately devolved into a story that I ended up skimming by the end. Unlike the original, I thought the reason for Ruby and Ethan's separation were rather contrived and kind of dark in comparison to the rest of t ...more
Silvana (Por detrás das Palavras)
"Reencontro com o amor" é a minha estreia com a autora Melissa Pimentel e foi uma leitura, tal como prometia, bastante divertida.
Sempre gostei de livros onde a temática central passasse pelo reencontro de amores do passado. Sinto que, nestas narrativas, há uma mística especial a ligar as personagens e todo o enredo que é construído à volta deles.

Neste livro assistimos ao reencontro entre Ethan e Ruby. Após dez anos de terem terminado o namoro, um casamento promove o reencontro. Estava muito cur
Anja
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

'The One That Got Away' is about Ethan and Ruby. They meet in their early twenties, fall in love one summer and have a very happy relationship for some time. Everything is just perfect, but after Ruby moves to New York for her first real job and Ethan gets left behind, things start to change and their relationship falls apart.
Now, ten years later, Ruby is alone and always busy with work. One day, she meets Ethan again. At a wedding, of all things. Because Ethan's best friend decided t
Yvonne
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ruby pulls herself away from her busy New York City life and career to attend her baby sister’s wedding in England. She’s not that happy to be going, but not because she doesn’t want to see her sister get married. The best man happens to be her ex-boyfriend, Ethan. Ruby and Ethan were in love and they thought it was to be forever, but it didn't turn out that way.

It has been ten long years since Ruby saw Ethan and much has changed in that time frame. Ruby has a successful career in New York City
Luise
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story alternates between flashbacks of the past and now, ten years later.

The past varies between Ruby and Ethan's point of view, with some pieces told from both angles. You read about how they met, had their wonderful time together and how/ why they finally drifted apart.

The present is told from Ruby's point of view plus some random emails sent from Ethan to his father or business partner. The purpose of those emails was kind of obscure to me, though. Anyway, in the present, Ruby and Ethan'
Jen Ryland
Loose retelling of Persuasion set at a wedding in the English countryside that brings together a couple who broke up ten years before.

At first, the alternating then/now storytelling bothered me, but I got used to it and in the end it did add more depth to the story and offer the point of view of both characters. There was a big reveal toward the end that I wasn't expecting and I think the story needed a bit more time after that than I got.

RTC on my site - JenRyland.com or check out my Bookstagra
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
More reviews on www.snazzybooks.com

The One That Got Away is a fun, reflective and sweet story about lost loves, missed chances and the chance to start all over again.

The characters are likeable, though at the beginning of the novel I found main character Ruby a little abrasive and overly short with Ethan, but she really grew on me as the novel continued. Her sister Piper is pretty spoilt and annoying at times, but Ruby and everyone else knows this – that's just how she is – and her dad is crack
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Xpresso Reads

I've always regarded Persuasion as my favorite Jane Austen novel so when I heard about The One That Got Away, I was immediately intrigued. There is something about the angst of a second chance romance that always draws me in and I love seeing the various takes on the classic novel. I dove into The One That Got Away expecting to enjoy it and I am not sure I did? I am also not sure I didn't.

Retellings don't have to follow the original storyline w
txmbxx
Nov 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I’m convinced that I have just wasted a couple of hours reading a book of blandness. I really liked the premise of the book and hoped to uncover juicy information and a compelling plot however this, Is what I did not get. There just wasn’t a spark there and the book is missing aspects that really make it even a moderately interesting one. It’s a shame.
Miriam Smith
Won in Goodreads Giveaways, not read - passed on.
The Lit Bitch
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it

Unlike most Jane Austen fans, Pride and Prejudice is NOT my favorite by her Austen novel. Nor are the other more popular novels: Emma, or Sense and Sensibility. My favorite Jane Austen is the lesser known Persuasion.

Of course all of her novels are fantastic and her heroines memorable, but none stood out to me more than Anne Elliot and her ever so charming, Captain Wentworth. So when I saw that the novel by Melissa Pimentel was a retelling of Persuasion, I was all eyeballs.

Retellings ar
Cecelia
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know we’re almost at the end of summer, but if you need one last read for the beach or the Labor Day weekend, I’ve got the perfect recommendation. Melissa Pimentel’s The One That Got Away is a funny and fairly adorable modern retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion. It’s a touching, feel-good story, and a must-read for anyone who has watched Austen adaptations with a smidge of envy.

Ruby is a New York career woman through and through, and she’s mostly content with her life. However, with her best
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
FirstLine ~ It was a Monday night.

This book was an interesting twist on the book Persuasion. I am not one of those readers that is a Jane Austen fangirl, but I do appreciate the writing, stories and characters. Pimentel has done a great job taking the classic story and making it modern and applicable to today's time. It was one of those books that slowly pulled me in and did not let go. I found myself fully engaged in the story, genuinely wanting to know what was going to happen. This book asks
Margie's Must Reads
Give me an Austen Adaption Anyday! I loved this book! For any Janeite who loves Persuasion, here is a a great modern for you!
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Ruby Atlas works in New York City at an advertising firm. She does well for herself and is focusing on her career. Her sister, Piper, is getting married, but instead of marrying in their hometown, Piper has an elaborate wedding at an English castle. Yes, a castle. Ruby is excited for her sister, but there's a wedding guest attending that she dreads seeing. It's her ex-boyfriend, Ethan, who she never really got over. To complicate matters further, Ethan is best friends with the groom, so there is ...more
Alina
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruby to typowa mieszkanka Nowego Jorku - wiecznie zajęta, przesiadująca w swojej Bardzo Ważnej Pracy w wielkim szklanym budynku od rana do nocy, niemająca czasu na myślenie ani o przyszłości, ani o przeszłości. Przeszłość jednak dogania Ruby, kiedy wybiera się ona do Anglii na ślub siostry, na którym drużbą pana młodego jest Ethan - jej wielka miłość sprzed dziesięciu lat. Ich rozstanie odcisnęło piętno na życiu ich obojga i chociaż wydawałoby się, że od tego czasu wszystko się zmieniło, a po da ...more
Jill
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is touted as a retelling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, but frankly, I felt it was more a variation of Bridget Jones’ Diary. In fact, Bridget Jones’ story was supposedly based on Pride and Prejudice, and I think if the plot of this book resembles any Jane Austen story, it would be that one rather than Persuasion.

But mostly the 31-year-old protagonist, Ruby Atlas, seems a carbon copy of Bridget Jones, always focussed on her job, her weight, her drinking, her outfits, and her love life. Ru
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
I really love this new-to-me author's writing, but for a second chance romance, there's not a lot of romance in this book. This book explores a lot of the relationships between the main character and her family, her friends, her job, but the relationship between Ruby and Ethan takes a back seat throughout. I would've loved to see more interaction between them, more dialogue... It was just more Ruby's story than their story and so this romance reader came away a bit underwhelmed. I'll definitely ...more

• Like Candy (Candy #1)
  • Dinner with Mr. Darcy: Recipes inspired by the novels of Jane Austen
  • Better Left Buried
  • Christmas Cheer (Holidays With Jane #1)
  • Water So Deep (Water So Deep, #1)
  • Sachael Dreams (Mine, #1)
  • The Dashwood Sisters Tell All: A Modern-Day Novel of Jane Austen
  • Twisted Up In You
  • Heartsick
  • What Kitty Did Next
  • Spring Fever (Holidays With Jane #2)
  • Nirvana (Nirvana #1)
  • Nannyland
  • In Dog We Trust (Black Dog Bay #5)
  • Dark Hope (Archangel Prophecies #1)
  • Undressing Mr. Darcy
  • The Daddy Diaries
  • Austensibly Ordinary
Melissa Pimentel grew up in a small town in Massachusetts in a house without cable and therefore much of her childhood was spent watching 1970s British comedy on PBS.

At twenty-two, she made the move to London to do an MA in Modern Literature at University College London. She has lived there happily for ten years, though she still adamantly refuses to eat a scotch egg. Before meeting her fiancé, sh