Start by marking “The Science of Breakable Things” as Want to Read:

The Science of Breakable Things

How do you grow a miracle?
For the record, this is not the question Mr. Neely is looking for when he says everyone in class must answer an important question using the scientific method. But Natalie's botanist mother is suffering from depression, so this is The Question that's important to Natalie. When Mr. Neely suggests that she enter an egg drop competition, Natalie has
173 pages
Published March 6th 2018 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Breakable Things, please sign up.
Catherine The characters in this book are in seventh grade, so I would guess they are eleven or twelve years old. The book contains no sex, violence, or bad…moreThe characters in this book are in seventh grade, so I would guess they are eleven or twelve years old. The book contains no sex, violence, or bad language, but it does contain strong messages and underlying themes of serious issues such as depression. However, it is not explicit and I know that any twelve-year-old girl would love this book's themes and humor.(less)

Lola
Natalie’s mother is depressed. But what is depression? Natalie isn’t sure. All she knows is that one day her mom was okay—smiling, laughing, talking and being—and the next day she wouldn’t even get out of her room, preferring sleep to seeing her own daughter.

Natalie wants deeply to save her mother from whatever is causing her to lose her vitality, but she doesn’t know how. Would whatever idea she comes up with even work? Would it require a miracle?

It makes me happy to see books such as this one
Brad McLelland
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel is, in a word, FANTASTIC. Tae Keller's grasp of her MC Natalie's emotional arc is extremely well-tuned, giving us moments of such depth that I literally found myself in awe at some passages. Natalie is so very human as she tries to understand her mother's depression, sometimes getting it right, sometimes completely misunderstanding a situation, and I couldn't help feeling overwhelmed for Natalie, her family, and their entire struggle. But the book also gives tremendous moments of ligh ...more
Meredith (booksbythewater)
Maybe sometimes the strongest thing of all is knowing that one day you'll be all right again, and waiting and waiting until you can come into the sun.

Rating: 5 stars

Can you actually believe a quote like that came from a middle grade novel? If you're anything like me, when I started this book search for my third grade book club I assumed everything I'd read would be childish and irrelevant to me. Well now I feel like an idiot, because that is so wrong. Tae Keller gets it here. Without once lo

Jen Petro-Roy
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book about coping with the unknown, challenging family circumstances, friendship, and hope. This is Tae Keller's debut novel, and I can't wait to read what she writes next.
Ms. Yingling
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC provided by publisher through Follett's First Look Program

Natalie is dealing with a lot-- her best friend, Mikayla, no longer talks to her; she likes her teacher Mr. Neely but is occasionally overwhelmed by his enthusiasm; and her mother is so depressed that she doesn't get out of bed most days. Natalie knows this is because her mother was fired from her job at the university botany department by Mikayla's mother, but she wishes that she had her "old" mother back. When Mr. Neely suggests tha
Abigail McKenna
Looking back, I'm not so sure she was right. I want to say to her, "Plants are not people. Plants eat and grow and breathe, but they cannot laugh or sing or wonder." And now she cannot laugh or sing or wonder.

This is such a powerful book. Such an important book. I don't know that I've read many middle-grades dealing with depression, and the ones I have read rarely deal with depression in a parent. And it's so well handled in this book.

We follow Natalie, a twelve-year-old girl who is convinced
Melissa
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

In Tae Keller’s heartwarming yet humorous middle-grade novel, THE SCIENCE OF BREAKABLE THINGS, we meet Natalie Napoli, a seventh grader whose botanist mom is suffering from depression. The only way to get her out of her funk, Natalie believes, is to take her mom to New Mexico to pluck the magical Cobalt Blue Orchid—a flower that Natalie hopes will bring her mom back to life. Using the scientific method—and with some help from her best friend, Twig, and their lab-partner Dari—Natalie learns that
K.A.
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so touching and wonderful. I teared up! Full of STEM geek love, bubbling with emotion, fun, sass, great friends, family problems, friendship break-ups and make-ups, real 7th grade problems I recall all too well! And a real look at parental depression. Highly recommend this one. <3 <3
Alisha
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pros:
A book about STEM and the scientific process!
Amazing girl protagonist!
Diverse cast of characters!
A book that realistically portrays what it is like to have a parent with depression
Well written and great pacing

Cons:
#rip all the poor eggs broken in the name of science
Kathy Martin
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Twelve-year-old Natalie is having a bad year. Her mom seldom leaves her room and seems to have turned into not-Mom. She is worried about her botanist mother and a little angry at her too. Luckily, she has the support of her best friend Twig who keeps school interesting with her big personality. She also has a new friend in Dari who is here from India with his parents.

Natalie has a plan to fly her mother to see the Cobalt Blue Orchids that she has been studying. They are unique plants that can s
Kate Olson
Thanks to the author and publisher for sharing a copy of this book with @kidlitexchange for review! All opinions are my own.

YAY for girls + SCIENCE!!! My 6th grade daughter is majorly into science and it is SO hard to find books for her that fit this interest area, so I was ecstatic to start reading this and realize just HOW science-y it is! The entire story is based on the scientific method and the science projects of Natalie and her friends, along with a storyline about Natalie's botanist moth
Wendy MacKnight
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-read
What a beautiful, wonderful book! The impact of depression is dealt with in a wonderfully accessible way, and Keller does an amazing job of letting us walk in Natalie’s shoes. Add in a caring teacher, two lovable best friends, and #science project, this is a not-to-be missed book!
Laura (bbliophile)
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am SOBBING this book is so good <3
Jen Malone
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love that this is told through science project entries (and further love all of the STEM included, between the project and Natalie's mom being a botanist!), but the heart of this story is the angst Natalie feels over her mother's withdrawal from the family due to depression and the sweet lengths Natalie will go to in hopes of fixing the situation. It deals with a very serious topic in an accessible way that really works beautifully.
Laurie
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interest Level: 3-6; Reading Level: 5.8

@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

Imagine you are just starting middle school but your life has been turned upside down. The happy, loving family that you once knew has changed because your mom has gone into her bedroom for months and won't come out due to depression. This is what is going on in Natalie's life. Natalie doesn't understand why her mom won't get out of bed,
Laura Gardner
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for THE SCIENCE OF BREAKABLE THINGS by @tae_keller
Thx to @theloudlibrarylady for sharing this ARC with me and @kidlitexchange (#partner). This book came out last Tuesday, March 6. All opinions are my own.
_*_*_*_*_*
Swipe for the back!
_*_*_*_*_*
I simply love this raw, unflinching look at how depression affects the whole family. Parents are not perfect and we need more books that reflect that reality. Natalie is my favorite kind of middle grade character—honest about her struggles and so r
Cassie Thomas
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have never read a story that portrays depression, and it was so perfectly portrayed. Depression affects so many, either in obvious ways or silent ways, and I think it’s imperative for kids to start being aware of these issues. Natalie’s story was one that I can absolutely relate to, and so much of her adolescent life is familiar in myself, but also my students. I love the science connection. I will definitely be book talking to my students and sharing as much as I can. I already have a few stu ...more
Clare Lund
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a powerful message about never giving up on family, and I adored Natalie’s sense of humor that shone through in her character’s voice and observations, even while she was hurting. Great read for ages 9 and up.
ALPHAreader
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A young girl tries to make sense of her scientist mother’s sudden plunge into depression. Funny, eloquent, smart and true.
Eva
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and poignantly sweet story that deals gently but accurately with depression and it's effects on your family. The three kids' friendship was realistic and fun and excellent. A great book for any young readers, but especially any who have family members struggling with depression.
Aeicha
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seventh-grader, Natalie and her parents are dealing with a "situation". The "situation" being that Natalie's once happy, vibrant botanist mother has Depression. Confused, angry, and hurt Natalie thinks it's her job to "fix" her mother and she finds the solution when her science teacher encourages her to enter an egg drop competition. If she and her best friend, Twig, and new friend, Dari, can win the prize money, Natalie can take her mom to see the impossible and miraculous Colbalt Blue Orchids, ...more
Sylvia
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
A moving, poignant, and funny book about a girl who deals with her mother's depression through an improbable plan to win an egg-drop contest. Hana navigates both new and existing friendships and difficult family dynamics in her quest to understand "the science of breakable things and how to protect them." This book will stay with readers, especially those who face depression or experience it in their families.
Amelia Brunskill
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely, funny, warm-hearted book! I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and yes, I did very literally both laugh and cry (okay, sob) while reading it. I adored the characters and the clever use of footnotes.
Alexandra Ott
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really lovely and emotional middle grade contemporary about friendship, family, and hope. The characters are smart and hilarious (especially Twig <3) and the writing is lovely. Have a box of tissues on hand for this one!
Nikki Ibarra
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: state-award
My role for our literature circle is Discussion Director and with this role, I am given the responsibility of creating questions for my circle to use to open a few discussions about the book we are reading.

1. In the book, Natalie's mom wrote a book named, "How to Grow A Miracle". This book was about the blue orchid she found while in New Mexico that grew when no other plant could after the soil had been damaged with chemicals surrounding a power plant. Although it is said the title is of a book
Joshua
Author: Tae Keller
Chapters or Page Numbers: Chapters 1 to 42
Literature Circle Name: Stellar Summarizer

Important parts to remember for summary:

1) “He held out a yellow piece of paper: a flyer for a science competition. I usually only recommend this to my top students, but I thought this might be good for you as well.” (page 29)

2) “But Dad was looking at me with those Therapist Eyes, saying, I want you to know: wh
Jenni
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: state-awards
My Role: Word Wizard
My role is to find words throughout the text that sparked my interest. I chose to look for five words, that to me, had a double meaning within the context of the story, because I was interested in how those words, while relatively normal, meant so much more to the character once the story was read. My role also is to define those words and use them in an original sentence. I also need to explain specific areas within the book where you can find
Starla
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Literature Circle- Stellar Summarizer. As the stellar summer I am to pull out important parts of the summary and record the page numbers. As part of my role I am to write a summary of the entire book.
Book- The Science of Breakable Things by Tae Keller
A strategy that the teacher Mr. Neely used from chapter 2 is he gave Natalie a choice in what she did as well as all the other students in this particular book. Giving students a choice is definitely something I will do in my future classrooms beca
Alexa Marshall
Stellar Summarizer
Date: 06/04/18
Title of Book: The Science of Breakable things Author: Tae Keller

Chapters or Page Numbers: 1-298 Literature Circle Name:

Important parts to remember for summary:

page #32 “Dad made some joke and I laughed and Mom didn’t. And then I thought: I can’t remember the last time Mom laughed.”

page #65-67 “’We just don’t have the money for travel right now,’ she repeated, eyes still closed” …. “And there, in big, bold letters and everything: GRAND PRIZE: $500!!!!!!”….
Stephen Adams
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Literary Luminary
The literary luminary looks for portions that evoke emotion or are thought provoking and shares these sections with the group, rationalizing their selection as well.

Ch. 6 Pg. 33 "Mom and Dad had been having whispered conversations at night, talking about problems at work, and I knew something was wrong, but I didn't know something was Wrong."

To me this section stands out as something everyone can relate to. Whether it is in regards to the exact situation with your parents from c
TAE KELLER grew up in Honolulu, where she wrote stories, ate Spam musubis, and participated in her school’s egg drop competition. (She did not win.) After graduating from Bryn Mawr College, she moved to New York City to work in publishing, and she now has a very stubborn Yorkie and a multitude of books as roommates.

Subscribe to my newsletter, where I talk about writing, art, and all the books I l
“You can’t always protect breakable things. Hearts and eggs will break but you keep going anyway, because science is asking questions and living is not being afraid of the answer.” 4 likes
“Science is asking questions. And living is not being afraid of the answer” 2 likes