Start by marking “Wounded Little Gods” as Want to Read:
Wounded Little Gods

Wounded Little Gods

Regina was born and raised in the small town of Heridos, where gods and spirits walked the earth.

Until they didn't.

Ten years ago, the whole town produced a bad harvest - rice grains as black as soot - and the people of the town moved on, away from the soil and the farms, believing the gods and spirits have abandoned them.

It is ten years later, on a Friday before a long wee
Published 2016 by Visprint, Inc.

Start your review of Wounded Little Gods
Selkie ✦ Queen
I have been a fan of Eliza Victoria since coming across her novel Dwellers which is one of the most exciting psychological supernatural thrillers I have read, and it spanned only for less than two hundred pages! A year later I stumbled upon this, her latest book, and as fates would have it, I only carried enough money with me that also happens to be the exact amount that had enabled me to purchase this treasure. And it is one for the collection!

The reasons why I get excited about reading Eliza V
Neil (or bleed)
Wounded Little Gods grabbed me and took me by surprise to a frightening and fascinating world of medical experiments, history and Philippine mythology. I hadn't expected this. But it was a great combination, I'm in awe while devouring and getting it all in my system. And after reading this book, it's still bothering and reminding me of its horrors and all those terrifying shits it had offered.

If I'm being honest, I still can't wrap up my head with the intensity of the plot of this little book. O
Martha
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
I didn't know how to feel about this book when I started reading. I guess I can say I didn't have much feelings about how it started. It wasn't at all amazing and I wasn't engrossed but it was an easy read so I thought, what the heck ... Filipino pride, eh?

When I got to the good bits this book actually spooked me that I wanted to put it down but I (still) couldn't put it down because I just had to know the juicy story behind all the mysterious circumstances surrounding Regina. It did not disapp
Pamala
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I don't think this quite weaved to the story that was intended. The premise was interesting and it kept me reading, however, it fell a little flat and confusing in the end.
O
3.5 stars.

Wounded Little Gods is one of those books you can easily read in one sitting. Not simply because it's short, but because it draws you in and invites you on quite an interesting ride.

The story revolves around Regina, a young woman who has a strange conversation with her new colleague, Diana. Shortly after their odd encounter, Diana disappears but leaves a strange map that takes Regina back to her hometown of Heridos, where she unearths a mystery filled with strange rumors and whispers a
Bookbed
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
"A solid, fascinating read on the supernatural and the natural, Wounded Little Gods is not one to miss." Continue reading our review here.

Please note: We don't use ratings but for this purpose, we tag books with three stars by default.
Would like to be a reviewer/contributor to Bookbed? Sign up here!
We also accept review requests. More info here.
Judie
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kudos to Eliza Victoria once again for this very gripping book. This is the 4th book of hers that I read and really, each one is a winner. If anything my gripe with her stories is that I didn't want them to end. This latest one, I was not even halfway and I already thought this may work as a TV fantasy serial! The setting and the characters are very rich and interesting. Looking forward to her next books (no pressure, haha!).
Elena ( The Queen Reads )
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eliza Victoria never cease to amaze me. Her writing skills are great and I can't seem to get bored by it. She capture her reader's interest and holds on to it until the end. This book made me think and wonder what the hell is happening and when it was time to unfold the mysteries, I was amazed. Kudos to Eliza!
Kay
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spooky yet engrossing. Couldn't put it down.
Izzie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the BEST books I have ever read in my entire life (definitely the best book I have read in 2019).

I'll admit, when I picked up this book from Arkipelago Books in San Francisco, I mostly selected it for the extremely aesthetically pleasing cover. And even reading over the brief summary on the back of the book, I thought I'd be signing up for a casual "folklore" story about some Philippine myths (and being Filipino American myself, I wanted to understand more about my culture)
li
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS! I didn’t really expect the plot to go that way but WOW.

This is my first time reading an English novel written by a Filipino author. Ever since I learned that this book exists I immediately went to different bookstores. It was a bit hard to find but I eventually found one (thank God).

The thing about Philippine mythology is that even us, Filipinos, know so little about it. Yeah, we know Bathala, Amihan, anito, siyokoy and what-not through oral storytelling but we don’t really know t
Mark
Originally posted on my blog: https://bongbongbooks.wordpress.com

Eliza Victoria is really taking the theme of Philippine folklore and Philippine urban fantasy to a whole new level! I really did not imagine that there will come a time that I will fully believe that local gods and deities worshiped by our ancestors do really exist and they live and walk with us without us noticing. This book really made me believe that.

Eliza Victoria is the author of Dwellers which won the 2015 Philippine National
Clarisse
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was so good!

I recently read Dwellers by Eliza Victoria, and there were some similarities:
1. They both don't stick to the confines of a single genre, and I feel could be classified under multiple genres (though Wounded Little Gods, while it felt like a mystery too, was obviously primarily fantasy book from the very beginning; Dwellers seemed less clear cut).
2. They both progress in such a way that I found myself getting more and more curious, and asking more and more questions, as the story
D
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, filipiniana
I have six million other books to read (not really, ten is probably a better count) and I haven't really made time for any of them, but for an Eliza Victoria novel? You bet your sweet ass I have time.

What I really love about Eliza Victoria's stories is how relate-able they are. The characters who work for BPOs, who worry about the traffic in EDSA, and who makes jokes about hipsters. There's a lot of tongue-in-cheek humour in how Regina tries to keep track of the barrage of countryside news her
Majuchan
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first time I fell on my hands and knees and scrape my skin, I was astonished by how easily I focused on this injury, how quickly the rest of the world fell away, and how effortlessly I forgot life’s kindness just to focus on this single, tiny misfortune and pain. Sam way I focused on a person’s loud voice or slowness and hating him for it, instead of appreciating- loving the totality of his being.

These sub-par children… that you mention before have you ever considered that maybe all they nee
Bomalabs
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you're asked to identify a person na Mataba ang Utak, Eliza Victoria's probably it. I mean, I had my reservations about it since I'm thinking it'll be too similar to Neil Gaiman's American Gods but I was dead wrong. Who else could tie up Philippine Mythology, the dark side of Eugenics, and an uncondescending portrayal of Mental Illness into a cohesive and engaging narrative setup in Contemporary Manila and told in a relatable, contemporary tone. Genius as usual.

What strikes me the most in th
Leanne Bellen
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perhaps it was not a deliberate attempt, perhaps it was a cultural revival subtly dispersed throughout the text, but either way, I find in this book a certain resistance to Westernized religious thinking. Before we have been introduced (or...shoved) to Christianity, we were polytheistic; we ascribed a hidden supernatural force to every inexplicable phenomenon and punched a name on it, venerating each as a god and practicing our own peculiar yet equally valid rituals. But Christianity flicked awa ...more
Robert
May 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Don't get me wrong. I really like the story. Its whole concept of gods and spirits. I mean, it's about time I get to read a speculative fiction from a Filipino author.

I like its mysterious setting and unusually creepy plot and that's what got me hooked. And oooh. Bulacan was the setting of the story! Niiiice.
It has a cool concept and was very different from the previous books I read.
But somehow I believe it lacks the establishment of the characters. Especially with the gods. I really don't know
Fantaghiro23
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a gripping read and another winning Eliza Victoria book. I love stories that bring myths back to life, and Eliza has done this wonderfully in Wounded Little Gods. Beyond the set-up of the mystery and the myths walking around, I was fascinated by the thread of children doing damage and having damage done to them. And I appreciated Eliza's mention of Far From the Tree in the acknowledgements. (I hope this isn't a spoiler. Is it?)

Congratulations again, Eliza! By the way, I can totally see
Mark Fermill
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I never thought that this would be a great read. Akala ko average type of story lang, like hahanapin lang 'yung nawawalang si Diana, but it turned out to be an epic ride! May kaunting history-something pang dagdag, some are shaped to fit the story, and yeah, nakaka-curious lang, lalo na roon sa mga batang pinag-experimentohan. Actually, at first half, 'di ko makuha ang connection between the two: the spirits and gods, and the experiment, but on the last part, it all made sense. Sulit 'yung pera ...more
Kaylee
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first 10 pages promised me a fun adventure while on a summer vacation but not even a few pages in it made me feel like we made a wrong turn and can't turn back but what the heck let's just go along with it then all of the sudden everything is getting worse and omg i didn't sign up for this and by the time we're on the right path we're just too tired even to be grateful to be alive.

yeah, i enjoyed this very much.
Aisha
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mysterious, thrilling, and heartbreaking. This book leaves questions not meant to be answered directly in the text, but to be pondered on by the reader. Very timely in light of the human rights issues the Philippines is currently faced with, although in a subtle way is this theme explored.

For foreign readers, this could be an interesting look into Philippine society, and I hope it would encourage more attempts at Philippine fiction.
Chrissie the Reformed Book Hoarder
An interesting premise and talks about a very relevant topic but the overindulgent narration didn't do well for me. Plus I find the pacing very rocky - one moment, it's Regina and her very slow, very talkative voice that made everything sluggish, and the next, everything felt like a roller-coaster ride. There are some insights to be taken from here, and I find the sentimentality rather nostalgic and very Filipino. It's just that I think this can be fleshed-out more.
Kristel Villar
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
There is something with the way Eliza Victoria strings words together that makes her simple prose captivating. I just love the mixture of lightness and heaviness in this story, how classic myths were portrayed and weaved together with another myth, and the emotions evoked by the characters as they responded to their story. Simplicity at its finest.
Jay Salvosa
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The author knows how to establish mood (I like the mystery introduced on the first act), but could've expanded further on lore/mythology especially on symbols and rituals (but the science had a good springboard). Intriguing premise.
Mabel
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book certainly took me by surprise. A beautiful story that combined historical facts and local folklore so beautifully.

****UPDATED****

Check out my full review here: https://thebooknutadventures.wordpres...
Geo Sustento
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Our country needs more stories that incorporate stories about our myths.
Monique
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I haven't read an Eliza Victoria work that I didn't like, that's for sure.
H. Bentham
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Spirits used to roam the town of Heridos, and then suddenly they didn't."

I forgot who told me this was horror and that was why it took me so long to get to this, but UGH, it isn't scary at all. There are creepy parts, I give you that, but I had been so engrossed with the story (which is more fantasy and mystery genre) that I didn't really mind the gruesome bits. I just wanted to get to the bottom of it all like Regina.

"Who are you to prescribe what is good and what is bad for the world? If yo
Akda
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

• Alternative Alamat: Stories Inspired by Philippine Mythology
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Pitumpu't Pitong Púsong (Janus Sílang, #3)
  • Tabi Po: Isyu 1
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Labanáng Manananggal-Mambabarang (Janus Sílang, #2)
  • Si Amapola sa 65 na Kabanata
  • Tabi Po: Isyu 2
  • Shadow Witness (Trese, #7)
  • Our Darkest Hours
  • 56
  • The Map That Contains Us
  • Smoke & Mirrors
  • Kingdom Above the Cloud (Tales from Adia, #1)
  • Any Day with You
  • Something to Talk About
  • The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel
  • Quinn and the Metropolis (The Metropolis Series, #1)
  • Happily Ever After & Everything In Between
Eliza Victoria is the author of several books including the Philippine National Book Award-winning Dwellers (2014), the novel Wounded Little Gods (2016), the graphic novel After Lambana (2016, a collaboration with Mervin Malonzo), and the science fiction novel-in-stories, Nightfall (2018). Her fiction and poetry have appeared in several online and print publications, most recently in LONTAR: The J ...more