Jump to ratings and reviews

Strange Little Girls

Strange Little Girls are made of sugar and spice, and something not quite as nice...
The strange little girls are orphans and changelings, suburban princesses, housewives, nuns and monsters. They are quirky and sweet, terrifying and heartbreaking. All of them a little lost, brimming with their own uniqueness.
In this strange little book of nineteen tales, Lotte goes swimming with her new fishy friends, Rin is freshly dug up, D'arcy strikes a bargain with the midnight mailman and Adelaide enters the mysterious House of Infinite Diversions. Our girls must fasten their bonnets and straighten their skirts to battle otherworldly dangers and challenging circumstances, internal struggles and doubts – and maybe find out who they really are.

Edited by Camilla Bruce and Liv Lingborn.
Table of Contents:

Loading interface...

About the author

Camilla Bruce

7 books556 followers
Camilla Bruce was born in central Norway and grew up in an old forest, next to an Iron Age burial mound. She has a master's degree in comparative literature, and have co-run a small press that published dark fairy tales. Camilla currently lives in Trondheim with her son and cat.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1 (4%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Intellectual Magpie.
187 reviews3 followers
November 17, 2018
I had to take a few days to fully settle upon finishing this book filled with 19 strange little twisted tales by some very talented authors.. overall I give this book a big 5/5 stars..
The tales held originality... so many times ending a tale I just closed the book and took a moment to chew upon what I just read... never was the tale what I had expected. The dark twisted girls buried within these pages were raw and true.
I definitely recommend this book if your wanting something unexpected... so many times my brain felt as if I had been rattled and needed to reorganize... come back down to earth.
The only downfall was that many times I had and issue reading one story at a time... due to becoming so immersed within each tale I needed time to detox before I could travel to another detailed world! .
Profile Image for Kristin Scearce.
487 reviews16 followers
October 8, 2016
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

The title definitely doesn't lie -- these are some STRANGE little girls. Each story is so different from the last, and they all suck you in and don't let up until the end. There are even a couple I could see being turned into at least a novella on their own, as I would love to read more about that particular girl's story.

Really interesting read, and since it's a collection of short stories, you can read a little bit at a time and not forget where you are.

5 stars
Profile Image for Shira Glassman.
Author 24 books503 followers
Read
July 16, 2016
This turned out to be a horror anthology and I'm not really one for horror, but I want to give a shout-out to "Pretty Jennie Greenteeth" by Leife Shallcross for adding a new twist to the setup of the Mr. Collins bit in Pride and Prejudice (multiple sisters encountering the unpleasant cousin one of them might have to marry so the family won't lose the house when he inherits it.)

"Mr. Collins" acts like a far worse cad than in Austen and vengeance is supernatural and female. I really don't speak the language of horror very well so I may have misunderstood but I think this story comes with either an assault or attempted assault trigger? But in any case he gets his creepy just-desserts and the couple the story wants you to ship end up together, so this is my pick from this collection.

If you like horror the stories are all pretty short and creative so I could easily see this becoming something to leave in an easy to reach spot that you could sneak stories from as little treats to yourself.
Profile Image for Ephiny Gale.
Author 17 books10 followers
Read
April 25, 2016
I'm so pleased to have a story in this excellent anthology. So many of its pieces are deliciously atmospheric and highly original. Very much recommended to anyone who enjoys the dark, the odd, and stories with child protagonists which are aimed at an adult audience.

My favourites are (in order of appearance):
Annabelle's Sleepover - Jan Stinchcomb
Marco Polo - Calypso Kane
The Empty Birdcage - L Lark
Pinhole - Tantra Bensko
House of Infinite Diversion - Aliya Whiteley

I'm looking forward to reading the next wondrous anthology from Belladonna Publishing.
Profile Image for Barbara Strickland.
Author 6 books38 followers
April 15, 2016
What a wonderful mixture of stories and what a strange mixture of girls. This was entertaining, chilling, at odd times amusing but at all times really worth reading.
Anthologies break up the reading in a special way. They are made up of stories less time consuming but no less enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed Angela Rega's bees and found it quite confronting in the realm of human behaviour.
Profile Image for Liz.
Author 13 books45 followers
January 8, 2018
Some wonderfully disturbing stories in this anthology. Standouts for me were: Leife Shallcross's "Pretty Jenny Greenteeth", Angela Rega's "Beehive Heart", and Ephiny Gale's Donkeyskin reworking "From Strangers".
Profile Image for Leife Shallcross.
Author 12 books187 followers
February 25, 2017
Full disclosure: I have a story in this book (Pretty Jennie Greenteeth).
This is a real treasure box of stories about odd, strange and eerie girls. None of them are comfortable stories; some of them are downright horrifying. I think my favourite is D'arcy Grey and the Midnight Mailman, by Ian MacAllister-McDonald, but Marco Polo by Calypso Kane is also insidiously good.
*shudders*
Profile Image for Krista Pojman.
39 reviews
March 31, 2022
So glad to have bought this book! Such a beautiful and wide array of stories, many of which leave you attempting to answer the twisted questions they presented. My favorites were "Pretty Jennie Greenteeth", "Marco Polo", and "Beehive Heart". These three stories were the ones my brain kept thinking about randomly during the day. That being said, I greatly look forward to re-reading this twisted book and find the hidden gems that I missed.
90 reviews
July 6, 2017
I enjoyed reading this book. Even though I am not a big fan of horror movie/story, but the short stories in this book are just amazing.
Profile Image for Roxy.
563 reviews39 followers
April 30, 2017
strange little girls is a strange little book filled with wonderfully weird and macabre short stories. a captivating collection from various authors.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.