Start by marking “The Power of Dark (The Witching Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Power of Dark (The Witching Legacy, #1)

The Power of Dark

(The Witching Legacy #1)

An enthralling mix of magic and horror – first of a new series from fantasy legend Robin Jarvis.

Something is brewing in the town of Whitby. To best friends Lil and Verne, it just seems like a particularly bad storm. But Cherry Cerise, the last of the Whitby witches, fears that ancient forces are at work, reviving the curse of a long lost magical artifact.

The legend goes th
Published June 30th 2016 by Egmont

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Dark

L.H. Johnson
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I grew up near Whitby. It's a gorgeous, wild place. It hinges on the great jaws of the West and East Cliff and when you stand there, on that bridge between the two sides of the town, you can feel the whole world rolling in off the sea to greet you. This is a strange, evocative town that you have to earn. Jennet and Ben, back in The Whitby Witches have to earn their presence within Whitby. They don't get there easily nor painlessly, but they end up there when they're needed. When they have to be. ...more
Rabiah
May 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, own
**3.5/4 stars**

Originally posted at: http://iliveforreading.blogspot.com/2...

When I received The Power of Dark in the mail, I had no idea what to expect. I'd never heard of it before, but it looked really interesting. The cover and synopsis screamed "fantasy," and because it's been a while since I'd last picked up a fantasy book, I decided to jump right into it. It actually took me a while to get into it, not gonna lie. Not because it wasn't good–this one was actually really great–but I was othe
Mandy
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's always great to hear about a new Robin Jarvis book; although I found his work rather later in life than his intended audience, his work has a deliciously macabre element to it that really appeals to the horror fan in me, and his working of historical and mythological elements into the weave of the story adds another dimension. Whilst a fan of his poor, set-upon and oft-betrayed furry animals, I've always rather enjoyed The Wyrd Museum and The Whitby Witches trilogies just that tiny bit more ...more
J.A. Ironside
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

I'm always thrilled when a new Robin Jarvis book is announced and to add to my excitement this time it was the start of a new series set in Whitby after the Whitby Witches trilogy.

There are Jarvis staples here - ancient powers, a curse enacted through the events of today, mysterious inventions and dark creatures - and all blended with the author's personal flair for dark charm, humour and the truly disturbing. In Lil and Verne we have two
Karen
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, towers
Back in Whitby again with Robin Jarvis in the first of his new trilogy The Witching Legacy.

Twenty years on from The Whitby Witches" the town has moved on now in the age of Steam Punk and Goths. The new Whitby Witch Cherry Cerise is deliciously eccentric and colourful. She is joined in her battle to save Whitby by two friends Lil and Verne.

In this book we meet old friends such as the Aufwaders but also darker forces who threaten the town such as Annie Scaur a 17th Century Witch, Melchoir Pyke and
Roz Radmore
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A distinctly creepy start to a new horror series by the master of teen horror Robin Jarvis
Set in his favourite Whitby , the Yorkshire town is threatened with destruction by an ancient evil force Forget Dracula this is much more terrifying !
Two best friends Lil and Verne live in the town . They think the worst they have to fear is an extremely fierce storm heading their way . How wrong can they be !
Cherry Cerise the town's last remaining witch knows that an evil force is at work . An old lost mag
Jenny Holder
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this was a sheer joy. It took me back to my childhood- it was just like being 9 and discovering The Whitby Witches for the first time. The original Whitby trilogy marked the first time I had been frightened by a book. I didn’t realise that reading could exhilarate you in that way.
Reading The Power of Dark has brought it all back to me. It has real moments of horror and a sense of the macabre in places but also has lovely moments of humour and warmth. I absolutely love the character of Ch
Melinda
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An imaginative tale for a younger audience. I enjoyed that the story at heart is about these two best friends, Lil and Verne, who have to weather out a storm, both figuratively and literally, while their city becomes the center of an ancient battle. I also loved how Robin Jarvis added depth to the story by interweaving a historical narrative into the present day, all the while maintaining the wonderful magical and gothic goodness that makes the characters and the town of Whitby come to life.
Alex Boon
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not saying it was bad but it was a 2.5 for me. I love Robin Jarvis by the way, grew up on his books and was delighted to see some new ones, and Whitby ones as well. But the possession-based story was like a less good Dancing Jax. It had it's good moments and has probably done enough for me to finish it, but seemed a bit superficial overall. I definitely preferred the Dancing Jax series.
Rhian
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a tad worried that this softer tale meant Jarvis was losing his (deathly) touch, compared to the gruesomeness of his early work. Then something awful happens to a couple of hamsters and I was reassured. It might be softer, but the bite is still there.
Shellie
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jarvis takes the tourism brought to Whitby by the Goth and Steampunk weekends and blends it with the myth, history and lore of the town. Part magic, part horror, and just enough cogs to keep things ticking.
Gadgets vs Goths what's not to like?
Caroline Bennett
This was entertaining. Not as great as the Deptford Mice but a nice Whitby read for October.
Edward Davies
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
More like a 3.5, this sort of follow-up to the Whitby Witches series doesn't feel very original because of its use of all the old lore from those books. Still, it does get going towards the end and does come up with some unique ideas.
Joanne Sheppard
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robin Jarvis writes fantasy and horror for children and teenagers, and The Power of Dark (out on 2 June) is his latest novel. Although I was aware of Robin Jarvis's books, I'm just old enough to have missed out on them as a child, as I was 13 or 14 when his first novel was published, and by that point I was mostly reading books aimed at adults. This is a shame as, judging from The Power of Dark, I would have liked Jarvis's books a lot when I was reading from the 9 - 12 or teen shelves in the lib ...more
Elaine Aldred
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The town of Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast, home to friends Verne Thistlewood and Lil Wilson, is no stranger to the supernatural and for good reason it seems, because something is brewing in the storm about to sweep over it. The town legend of the brief liaison between magician Melchior Pyke and the witch Scaur Annie which created a mysterious invention, known as the Nimius, and their subsequent betrayal by Pyke’s evil manservant Mister Dark, is about to make itself felt in the present day, ...more
Matthew Hodge
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robin Jarvis is back with a new series, this time returning to a place he hasn't been (at least in writing) since the 90s - Whitby. Back then, he wrote a trilogy books about The Whitby Witches which set up an elaborate mythology for the town. The old ladies of the town practised magic, dark things stalked the streets, there were the Lords of the Deep and Dark out in the ocean, and a race of small beings called aufwaders that you could only see if you had the second sight.

It was entertaining stu
Book Gannet
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Young fans of darker fantasy, who love the idea of floating skulls and exposed skeletons being whipped around by a storm, will find plenty to enjoy here. This first in a new series, is set in Whitby and makes full use of its popularity with Goths and fans of the macabre, but it also makes the most of its humour and is firmly aimed at its younger audience.

Lil and Verne have been friends forever. Lil’s parents are witches who run an occult shop and are walking advertisements for the arca
Mel
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a child I loved Robin Jarvis's The Whitby Witches trilogy, all the more because my Dad is from Whitby and Jarvis's writing perfectly evoked the spookiness of the town. When I discovered there was to be a new series set in Whitby, I pre-ordered without question and was so glad that I did.

The illustrations throughout the book - also by Robin Jarvis - were fantastic additions and enhanced the plot. Especially the drawings of the fisherfolk, some of whom I believe also featured in the original Wh
Trudie
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received on NetGally for honest review.
At first, I wasn't too sure on this book and it took me a little while to get into the it and to focus. Once I did, I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was mystery, scares and a lot of weird and wonderful stuff going on. It isn't overly scary for the children and something that boys will certainly enjoy, along with the girls.

There is a great plot to the story, and it isn't one that is so predictable that you can work out the whole book after just reading the f
Nathan Tyler
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ok, firstly wow! I haven't read any robin Jarvis since I was 10 and I remember liking him, but this is stunning!

It charges along fizzing with energy. The characters are beautifully drawn and the atmosphere of the novel is amazing. This is not a story for kids, it's a book for everyone.

My only, slightly contradictory concern is that the horror element of this is genuinely very creepy so it might be too intense for some younger readers. That being said, who cares! They should grow a pair! Life c
Clare
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book by Robin Jarvis I had read in a long time and I loved it. The storyline with all the magic, mayhem and mystery kept me hooked and it was great to revisit Whitby again as I loved the Whitby Witches trilogy. I loved the characters, particularly the wacky mysterious Cherry Cerise and look forward to learning a bit more about her in subsequent books. I eagerly await the next instalment of what I think will be a fantastic series. Not since the publication of the Wyrd Museum se ...more
Bev
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Whitby is a town that holds secrets - and they're about to take over. An ancient feud has been resurrected and is being played out through two young friends. The two halves of the town will be involved in an epic battle - will Whitby survive? I thoroughly enjoyed this story , loved the idea of the two halves of the town being goths or steampunks, wonderful pictures created in my head. Witches, a doomed love and a mechanical versus natural forces fight - intriguing and a definite page turner.
J.G. Murray
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I love Robin Jarvis, and Whitby...but this novel didn't quite work for me. It had some arresting, spooky set-pieces that will stay with me for a long time, but I wanted the story to be a bit more robust and involve the two protagonists more. Still, I love the way in which Jarvis writes horror for children, and may read the next one...
V.S. Nelson
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A few weeks ago I said to myself that I should read more Robin Jarvis and I'm glad I did. I loved this book, it was exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I have time before the next book to read the Dancing Jax trilogy.
Lisa Friel
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced story with something for everyone - magic, witches, goths, steampunk, scientific inventions, a possible apocalypse and a touch of will-they won't-they romance! A very visual story, aided by some good illustrations.
Barbara Band
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Witches, steampunk, ancient feuds, magical creatures ... a great read!
Jean Kirby
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this rather scary book, which is a fight between magic and science, set in the seaside town of Whitby.
Christina
Mar 03, 2018
Lazellia
Aug 19, 2017
Michael Wheldon
Dec 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Robin Jarvis (born May 8, 1963) is a British children's novelist, who writes fantasy novels, often about anthropomorphic rodents and small mammals – especially mice – and Tudor times. A lot of his works are based in London, in and around Deptford and Greenwich where he used to live, or in Whitby.

His first novel – The Dark Portal, featuring the popular Deptford Mice – was the runner up for the Smar

The Witching Legacy (2 books)
  • The Devil's Paintbox (The Witching Legacy, #2)