Start by marking “The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)

The Chase (The Forbidden Game #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  3,619 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
Moving on to its second chilling volume, The Forbidden Game trilogy by the bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries and The Secret Circle offers teens the psychological suspense they crave.
Published May 1st 1994 by Turtleback Books (first published 1994)

Kayla
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So The Chase by L.J. Smith follows straight after the first bookThe Hunter. They have escaped from Julian, but not for long. In this book, they play a deadly game of Hide and seek. This book is a lot like the movie labyrinth with twists and turns and riddles!

CHARACTERS-
Okay so we have Jenny, Jenny is just so fun to read about. She is really smart and she isn't the typical protagonist. She is honestly so cool!
Julian is as flirty and swoon worthy as ever! Tom is still annoying and boring, what doe
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
Jenny and her friends thought they’d won the game, but with the game missing, and Julian possibly on the loose, are any of them really safe? Or is this just the pause before a new game begins?

This was a great second instalment in this paranormal trilogy.
I love the way Julian always aims big, he doesn’t just want Jenny, he wants to make sure that her friends suffer too!
I loved the little clues, even the ones that didn’t make sense, and Julian. Oh my! Julian I
Keertana
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 3.5 Stars

I have to admit, I thought The Chase was headed down the path of that book. You know, the Second-Book-in-a-Trilogy Syndrome where the middle novel drags and becomes unusually boring. Thankfully, Smith managed to turn that around and prove me wrong a little before the half-way mark and I'm glad to report that I found myself more spooked, more frightened, and more terrified by this fantastic sequel.

The Chase picks up right where The Hunter left off as Jenny, Tom, Audrey, De
Donna
I reviewed the first book a while ago and my recap for it just went up last month at The Devil’s Elbow. This month I’m recapping THE CHASE and having never read it before, of course it needed to be reviewed here too. Oh such Labyrinth-y goodness.

Granted I was a bit torn with THE CHASE. The pacing was a little all over the place and the first sentence in that blurb is really misleading. Jenny doesn’t have dudes falling all over her now. One guy asked her to the prom who wasn’t Tom. The blurb coul
Seamaiden
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
actually this is a 4.5 but I couldn't rate it with 4 stars. the second book was also exciting, especially the ending, but since the characters kept being caught so easily it was slightly less exciting than the first. I loved the prom dance (Julian <3 ) and disliked Tom's approach to the whole matter.
in general it was another great book and I have read it in one day ;)
Perfection *Sherlock's Girl*
If I could give this book 6 stars I would.
Every single character outdid her/himself. Even Tom seemed less 2-D. He actually showed some strength of character. I finally saw a hint of what Jenny saw in him.
Jenny herself was BRILLIANT. Better than book 1 even. Dee, Audrey, Michael, even Zach were great.
But Julian. Oh god, he was sinister in this. Far more evil than book 1. He actually seemed like shadows and darkness come to life.
(view spoiler)
Bex
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-books
After trapping Julian in his own shadow world, Jenny hoped that he would never return. What she didn’t count on however, was the game being stolen and the two teenage thieves managing to free the Shadow Man. Now Julian is back and this time he’s angry…

Jenny is offered the chance to play a new game, lambs and monsters. The lambs are Jenny and her friends and they don’t stand a chance against Julian and his shadow creatures, the creeper and the lurker. One by one, Jenny’s friends are being captur
Jenna
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as I thought, I was horribly terrified! Just when I thought it was finally over, Julian seems to be hanging up by the moment, still hung up on Jenny. Tsk! I’m like “Just get over her man! gosh!” he’s killing me!!!! At first, I was also thrilled about Julian, I can’t think darkness is him or stuff, I think he was gorgeous etc. But then right in the middle of The Chase, I just woke up and was disgusted with him. I’m sorry ladies, but it just happened. I’m team TOM! (I never thought changing t ...more
Fantasy Literature
Well, I do have to thank the TWILIGHT phenomena for one thing at least, and that's that the collected trilogies of Lisa Jane Smith have been pulled out of the Simon and Schuster publishing vault, given brand spanking new covers, and re-released for both a new reading audience, and old-time fans who are ready to fill in the gaps on their bookshelves.

Out of all Smith's body of work, it was The Forbidden Game that I was least familiar with. First published as a trilogy, the middle book was on the s
Megan
Book 2 of 3. The Forbidden Game trilogy. Very good. Middle school level reading. However, has many classic themes that all ages will enjoy. Find, read, and re-read! (put on keeper shelf!)

This time The Game is “lambs and monsters.” Two kids stole the paper doll house game at the end of The Hunter (P.C. and Slug)… they let Julian free after Jenny had trapped him with a rune for restraint. Now Julian is back and willing to do anything to make Jenny keep her promise to him that she is his for all et
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Greta is Erikasbuddy by: Sunny
The gang is back again and this time instead of being hunted... they are being chased!

Ok.. that's kind of the same thing but now they know that Jullian is after them.

The paperhouse isn't around but Jullian still is. IT's time to go back into the Shadow World and play a game. Jullian loves to play games.

This time he wants to play Lambs and Monsters. He's the Monster and you guessed it... everyone else is the lambs.

Jenny of course has to figure out a way to rescue her friends. But can she do it?
Diana lullaby
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So in this second game, it is more of like a chasing game. The shadow man aka Julian, will get Jenny's friends one by one. With a time limit, Jenny has to find Julian's base where her friends are kept before he finds her.

I'm definitely enjoying their mysterious romance. What is it with Julian that makes him seem so beautiful and dangerous at the same time. oh right, he is a devil afterall. Strange that he loves Jenny. Are devils even capable of love?
I keep wondering about that.

Interesting book.
Nadia
This book revolves with the gang going after Julian, again, but the story doesn't get interesting until chapter ten from what I recall. There were no real action this time around, unlike the previous one, since Jenny doesn't get to the base until last minute. I think this wanted to show the romantic tension among the love triangle. I still enjoyed reading it, but thought the first one was better.

Look at this cover.

Now tell me why Julian looks like an evil vampire from the 80s, I'm confused.
Kushnuma
The Chase is book 2 in The Forbidden Games series.

Julian has started a new game: lambs and monsters. One by one, Jenny's friends are being taken by the Creeper and the Lurker, and Jenny must find the Shadow Man's hide-out in order to free them all and free herself from a promise...

Of course I loved reading The Chase and glad that Julian isn't giving up! I liked the clues that Julian was giving to Jenny, although she didn't have enough time to actually figure them out. Overall, a great read!
Abbie
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this one was the one i found better than the first, but it must have been the third i was thinking about, as this one wasn't quite as amazing as The Hunter.

The characters were still really good.
I don't know how they've managed to get through everything that's happened, without having a complete breakdown.
Julian wouldn't give up, even if they did end up in a psychiatric hospital though!

Overall, a great read, just not as great as the first.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
One of my faves as a kid growing up. Julian is probably the most memorable male character from ANY book I've read. Also, the occult and mystic aspects have a very unique slant to them (including Norse runic elements), as does the obsession Julian has for Jenny, whom he has shadowed since her childhood. Smith heavily researches her topics and it's admirable; this is evident in many of her series including my favorite "Secret Circle" books. All Smith books are entertaining for women of any age!
Jessica
This is one of the books that absolutely fascinated me as a kid (and undoubtedly contributed to my obsession with the Byronic hero/ine). Some of it's kind of over the top, but the way L.J. Smith weaves together mythology, fairy tales, fantasy, and good old-fashioned sexy teenage angst makes for a great story. I'm still pretty attached to the series, and I read it from time to time. I get all worked up in the same places every single time.
Maddycat123
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the whole trilogy and love this book but hate the covers the only thing i did not like in this book is that not much happens until Julian appears and he does not appear in a long time
Krystian Wente
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, loved this book! Especially reading it late at night in the dark ;)
Riri
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read from the Forbidden Game Trilogy
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
I'm probably being a bit generous with three stars, but it wasn't a completely horrible book, but could be a bit boring for such a short book.
Cindy
Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City. For my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom as great – You have no power over me.

I swear, If Jenny had uttered those beautiful words to Julian he would've disappeared forever (much to my dismay).
This is what Labyrinth would have been like if Jareth was a teenager.

Anyhow, if that quote up there sounds at all familiar to you, and if you loved that movie as a child, teenager, or an
Kate
Jenny and her friends are still recovering from their horrific experience playing The Game, and the loss of their friend Summer. Jenny and Tom's relationship is on the rocks, and she feels all the time like someone is watching her. After an encounter with a girl who is friends with the two thugs who stole The Game (and then disappeared, and became the suspects in Summer's disappearance), Jenny and her friends decide they need to find this girl and the missing game board. Unfortunately, when they ...more
Taryn
So, I have this shirt. It was given to me by a friend when she cleaned out her closet to move. It has material attached to the sides and under the armpits so when I spread my arms, it's supposed to look like wings. My husband hates it and I don't care. I wear it whenever I feel like it. My point is, Tom is a huge controlling dick for dictating what Jenny can and cannot wear based on his personal preferences and what he deems appropriate. Screw Tom, I don't like him.

The other characters aren't mu
Fefi
il gioco continua: agnelli contro mostri
La storia,in questo secondo volume va decisamente migliorando,ma troppi interrogativi restano ancora aperti,uno su tutti,vorrei sapere perché Julian vuole così disperatamente per se Jenny.
Ho notato che la scrittrice riprende il concetto del potere della mente e delle illusioni,già incontrato nella serie Dark Vision;nel primo volume i 7 ragazzi hanno dovuto affrontare le loro più terribili paure divenute realtà all’interno della casa di carta, in questo sec
Demi
May 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars, read-in-2017
I've read about plenty of dumb bitches but it's takes a true dumbass at heart to be in love with a guy who controls what you wear and obsessively stalks you because hes jealous of an immortal demon who tried to take your soul
Amberfaye
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny go get yo man.
Jessi ♡
not messy enough!
Olivia Hennis
Papercuts Podcast review up: http://papercutspodcast.com/?p=1082

Looking forward to reading the final installment for July!
This was a lot less fun than the first book, but still enjoyable.
  • The Dance (Final Friends #2)
  • Fatal Secrets (Point Horror, #24)
  • The Yearbook
  • Heart of the Hunter (Fear Street Sagas, #9)
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • The Mummy
  • The Stalker
  • Crimson Night (Crimson #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th
More about L.J. Smith...

The Forbidden Game (3 books)
  • The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)
  • The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3)
“Love and death are everything, Jenny. Danger is the best part of the game. I thought you knew that."
-Julian”
105 likes
“War and hunting and chasing-that's all there is. That's life, Jenny-no one can escape it.” 38 likes