Start by marking “The Mc Kinsey Way Using The Techniques Of The World's Top Strategic Consultants To Help You And Your Business” as Want to Read:

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  1,886 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
"If more business books were as useful, concise, and just plain fun to read as THE MCKINSEY WAY, the business world would be a better place." --Julie Bick, best-selling author of ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW IN BUSINESS I LEARNED AT MICROSOFT."Enlivened by witty anecdotes, THE MCKINSEY WAY contains valuable lessons on widely diverse topics such as marketing, interviewing, tea ...more
Published (first published February 1st 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about The Mc Kinsey Way Using The Techniques Of The World's Top Strategic Consultants To Help You And Your Business

Misericordia ❣
A very good book. Though, the best way to characterise it would be to requote from it:

I think anything I say would be too cynical.
—Former associate in the London office

Here goes a bit of tongue-in-the-cheek vocab for it:

1. “What’s the so-what?”

Translation: How is this analysis useful?

Real meaning: You’re one up on me because you’ve done a ton of complex analysis and I haven’t. Allow me to reassert my authority by challenging you to explain the purpose, and implying that while you are living ins
Ahmed Bin Madhi أحمد بن ماضي

Pros:

- Simple language, very accessible and follows a logical flow of topics

- Short. You can read it in a short/mid flight (not that I did:)

- Structured approach for many commonsensical things business professionals naturally do (some may see this as a con)

- Some useful tips here and there (e.g. interviewing tips)

Cons:

- Not much insight as one would expect from the book title.. no mind blowing/eye opening revelations about McKinsey’s inner workings

- Too generalist (though I believe one should no
Boyd Coleman
Feb 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most worthless book ever written. Some of the McKinsey wisdom:

Put charts in you presentations to display data. Really!?

A good assistant is priceless. I was thinking of someday getting an awful one.

Don't become a work-a-holic? hmmmm.....

Every problem has 3 causes and 3 solutions. That would make solving problems easier. If only it were true! That's not how you solve problems, that's how you sell solutions to clients! Consultants suck.

I hope for nobody else to waste their money on this
Suhrob
Sep 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has:

1. lots of trivial advice (be organized, use charts...)
2. tiny bits of interesting (but not world-shattering) concepts (e.g. MECE) described in a shallow enough detail so that it won't help you all that much
3. McKinsey-ites work long hours*. You'll hear that on every second page.
4. mixture of boring business stories with occasional glances of the borderline sociopathic business power-player archetype.

There are also bits that are clearly incorrect, mostly when he tries to branch ou
Antonina Sh
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I started my digging into consulting industry with - and I think I made the right choice. A very fast and easy reading, I'd say even fascinating. Great for the starters, to give you a general insight into the industry and how it works. Actually, I guess anyone in business management/corporate world would find something useful to get out of it. Some really helpful advise and tips.
It helped me understand what I really want to do, and where to start. That being said, I'll pr
Shantanu
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book. Wonderful insights on the management skills needed for a consultants, the do's and dont's. Definitely a must read for beginner consultant.
Avishek Saha
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, filled with interesting anecdotes and practical examples. A must-read for anyone who wishes to know more about the consulting industry
Alex
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Despite my better judgement, I read this after someone rather sincerely recommended it to me. Am now weighing whether to 'restructure' that relationship after enduring this book's rapidly deteriorating prose for 2 hours.
Vimal
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm , It was interesting to pick the book with big brand of " Mckinsey Way" .

I had lot of expectation with this book on business problem solving but book failed to do it. If you are just management graduate , it may found interesting but for the experienced professional its just normal guidelines.

I would love to rate it higher side if Rasiel has added some tools / technics / Models in this book . It may be because of confidentiality agreement with Mckinsey , he has not added it in the part .
Aman Jha
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can be a good read for high school folks but that is it, too much of generalist attributes followed throughout. Some takeaways:
1. Lots of trivial advice (be organized, use charts...)
2. Tiny bits of interesting (but not world-shattering) concepts (e.g. MECE) described in a shallow enough detail so that it won't help you all that much
3. McKinsey-ites work long hours*. You'll hear that on every second page.
4. Mixture of boring business stories with occasional glances of the borderline sociopathic
TarasProkopyuk
Книги от действующих и бывших партнёров McKinsey подобны огню принесённых Прометеем для людей из Олимпа, и эта не исключение.

McKinsey это одна из колыбелей где рождаются и задаются стандарты ведения и управления бизнес процессов и бизнеса в целом.

Эта книга будет очень полезна не только для людей и компаний, которые работают в консалтинговом бизнесе. Знания, принципы, ценности и методы роботы одной из самых известных консалтинговых компаний можно и обязательно нужно перенести в свой бизнес.
Rajesh
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essentially doesnt offer too much insight into the tools that make McConsulting so valued. However, it is a very simple read touting the basic tenets of problem solving, the lifestyle of a consultant, the "firm"'s ethos touched upon on a superficial basis. Takeaways...MECE, information flow, doing the best one can within time and resource limits, hypothesis driven approaches etc.
Prashant
Feb 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book could be your preliminary coursework on How to be a Consultant?
Very lucidly written and replete with example from the company itself this book is indispensable if you want to know the life about the life of a consultant.
Mohan
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book with a little more deep dive into McKinsey strategy than McKinsey Mind but focused well on how to present and get a buy in from your clients. Good read.
Aum Panuwat
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The McKinsey way' taught me that every problem has a solution! so keep going
Jeetesh Agrawal
Saw some really nice reviews and started reading the book. This is great read for a beginner in problem solving career (an analyst or a junior associate in consulting). Anyone willing to or about to join McKinsey or similar consulting firms will definitely benefit reading this.

Key takeaways from book for any professional trying to climb up in its organisation or career:

1. Check where your target people hang out. What club they. What places they eat. Join those places and you will eventually end
Gustavo Carvalho
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consulting
I really enjoyed reading this book but I don't know if you like Management Consulting Firms as I do.
Don't expect to read some life-changing words from the book because it brings the basic about McKinsey way of thinking and for some of you maybe those thoughts are "intuitive".
Ethan explains some concepts that are applied to business problems McK have to solve and can give you some insights for case interviews and even Fit interviews with the Firm.
If you are an expert in business maybe this book i
Nguyen Giang
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was written long time ago and during those years, management consulting has changed. However, it still provides a certain amount of insights into the world's biggest and most respectful consulting firm. I believe if you intend to start a career in consulting, "The Mckinsey Way" is a useful book to read nevertheless.
Paula Salme Sandrak
Clear, short, simple, and wise. A one-man perspective, yet this man has talked to a lot of people and is willing to share the stage. Another book that's full of various truths, many of them common sense, but again - some truths have to be reminded to us on a regular basis.
Srija
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Precise!
Juan Sanchez
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book for sure for those interested in the consulting experience
Awab Alhamdan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of the best books to read if you're either new to the consulting world or plan on joining it. It's also a great refresher of the basics for those who are senior consultants.
Kevin Gatdula
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A conversational look at the company. Lack depth, but still worthwhile after all these years.
Zoe
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for work, and it had some pretty useful business perspectives in it. I found it a little pretentious and dry, but overall it was a decent read.
Rafael Augusto
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really LinkedIn this book.
Panot Vesakha-Vahrinth
High level how consultant should do
Sasha Malinovska
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on how to approach business problems.
Some takeaways I come back to even in a year after reading it:
1) deliver more than expected from you;
2) take care of your team - respect their private lives and ideas, never give them a task you can not or would not do yourself;
3) how to make your boss happy - do your best at your position, make communication flow as smooth as possible (inform him/her on what are you working on and what issues you have).
My favourite quote:
Anything that gets in
Ricardo
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This must be interesting for anyone interested in consulting. The author goes about describing how it is to work for this company, how it is all fact-based and how most consultants are very intelligent and work hard. This is fair and probably useful for those.
However it is disturbing that being so intelligent, he does not dare to step the the following level of thinking and provide some stronger appraisal of what it is REALLY like working for the company. A first shortcoming is the repetition of
Agoes
Penulis buku ini berusaha untuk mengemukakan seperti apa pola pikir dan metode pemecahan masalah yang digunakan dalam sebuah perusahaan konsultan manajemen sekelas McKinsey. Ini tema yang menarik, namun sayangnya materi yang disampaikan oleh penulis terasa kurang menarik dan cukup banyak yang sudah diketahui lewat kuliah ataupun berdasarkan common sense.

Permasalahan lain dari buku ini adalah perbedaan jaman yang sudah cukup jauh. Saat buku ini diterbitkan (1999), perkembangan internet belum sema
Ben
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is basically the Bible at my job for managers. I read it because I've been craving some sort of business/management/leadership advice, and work wasn't filling the craving all the way.

The McKinsey Way tells about the specific methods McKinsey Consulting uses when solving business problems, how to deal with clients and travel and how to manage your life while you're doing it.

I'm an engineer, so I went to school to learn how to solve problems, and have been working solving business problems b
  • The McKinsey Engagement: Insider Secrets to the Tools and Techniques Used by the World's Top Consulting Firm
  • The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives
  • House of Lies: How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Then Tell You the Time
  • The Lords of Strategy: The Secret Intellectual History of the New Corporate World
  • Dangerous Company: The Consulting Powerhouses and the Businesses They Save and Ruin
  • Say It with Charts
  • Case Interview Secrets: A Former McKinsey Interviewer Reveals How to Get Multiple Job Offers in Consulting
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies
  • The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business
  • Key Management Models: The 60+ Models Every Manager Needs to Know
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • The $10 Trillion Prize: Captivating the Newly Affluent in China and India
  • The Minto Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, & Problem Solving
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • How to Become a Great Boss: The Rules for Getting and Keeping the Best Employees
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • 29 Leadership Secrets from Jack Welch
120547
Ethan M. Rasiel was a consultant in McKinsey & Co. s New York office. His clients included major companies in finance, telecommunications, computing, and consumer goods sectors. Prior to joining McKinsey, Rasiel, who earned an MBA from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, was an equity fund manager at Mercury Asset Management in London, as well as an investment banker.
More about Ethan M. Rasiel...

“Take your team’s temperature. Talk to your teammates. Make sure they are happy with what they are doing. Find out if they have questions about what they are doing or why they are doing it, and answer them. If they are unhappy, take remedial action quickly. Steer a steady course. If you change your mind all the time about the team’s priorities or the analyses you’re doing, your team will quickly become confused and demoralized. Know where you’re going and stay your course. If you need an extra day to figure it out, take it. If you need to make a big change, let your team know, explain why, and let people contribute to, or at least see, your thought process.” 1 likes
“Does every aspect of the problem come under one (and only one) of these issues—that is, have you thought of everything? If so, then your issues are collectively exhaustive.” 0 likes