Start by marking “Here Be Dragons: A Parent's Guide to Rediscovering Purpose, Adventure, and the Unfathomable Joy of the Journey” as Want to Read:

Before our three kids, we had been decent people. Interesting even. One of us had taught Shakespeare to gang members while the other flew reconnaissance missions off North Korea. But our own children had proven our biggest challenge. We were passionate and service-driven folks, except we were not demonstrating this to our kids. We spent so much time trying to be good paren ...more
Published October 11th 2016 by Familius

To ask other readers questions about Here Be Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Be Dragons

Stacy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
These are two parents trying to teach their kids what it means to be fully engaged by living a fully engaged life themselves. Their giving spirits come through loud and clear. They show the ebb and flow of a marriage with kids and they do it with warmth and humor.

Angie
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptionally well written book with family events happening told from two perspectives: a wife and a husband. Funny, passionate, and honest. Wonderful stories about their family that inspire and motivated me to want to show my kids more of the world we live in. It made me want to show my kids more about their service to others instead of being all about them all the time. Wonderfully told from the couple who have a lovely blog: www.dadvmom.com Order it and read it!
Maynard Miller
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A celebration of the highs and lows of parenting that made me laugh and cry "Here be Dragons" is an poignant and enjoyable memoir of the Kelly-Harbaugh's early years of parenting three kids and seeking adventure and purpose for themselves and their children. Ken and Annmarie write with an honest and reflective style that is both touching and profound.
Amy Bermudez
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5! I loved this book! It's so beautifully written. The emotional parts really touched me. (I cried reading about Shadow as I stroked the gray face of my 10 year old dog.) I repeatedly laughed out loud about the adventures (misadventures?). Both writers have distinct voices but they blend so well together. I don't have kids, but I still found so much of the book relatable. I would have liked to hear more about the marital strife that's mentioned in the book, but I think that says more about me ...more
Jenny
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A poignant story about a couple seeking purpose in the everyday and not-so-everyday events. Annmarie and Ken share their insights about dating, marriage, child-rearing, and callings. I loved the honesty of their stories; daring to write about what many married couples experience, but fail to admit. We can all learn a lot about living - truly living, despite challenges, and constant changes in the pages of “Here Be Dragons”.
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book quite a bit. It is so nice to read a book about a husband and wife that are committed to their marriage yet really try to encourage each other to follow the goals they have set for themselves...and they do this trying to raise three children and move across the country! There are quite a few lessons to be learned from reading this book.
Kim
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book - I laughed out loud at the honeymoon story and cried when shadow passed. A great read for all to take a look at how you live your life! A lesson for everyone. Take a look - you won't be disappointed!
Kristina