Start by marking “Dog Walker” as Want to Read:

A BOY AND HIS DEMON

Ben Carter, pet care specialist, is hired to walk a Shiba Inu named Toby. Unbeknownst to Ben, Toby is no ordinary dog but an “inugami” - an immortal demon born in feudal Japan and bred for only one purpose...murder.

A mysterious cult seeks to capture the inugami and harness its power for evil. With the help of an elderly luchador and a cop with a heart
Published March 1st 2016 by Gorilla House

To ask other readers questions about Dog Walker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog Walker

Start your review of Dog Walker
Montzalee Wittmann
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4-27-2018
By: Jack McGuigan
Narrated by: Travis Baldree
This is an audible book I requested and the review is voluntary.
I read this book a couple of years ago and loved it and wanted to hear it as an audible book since this is one of my favorite books. It is even better as an audible! Funny and good hearted dog walker Ben gets a new dog but finds out this dog comes with a lot of trouble. People trying to kill the dog, demons after him, and the dog is not really a dog! It is a fun and
Stephen Kozeniewski
A few months ago Jack McGuigan asked me to take a look at his debut novel, DOG WALKER. I don't know if I looked at the synopsis then, but if I did, I had already forgotten what the book was about when I finally sat down this month to read it. So you can imagine my surprise when I started reading what appeared to be a wacky romantic comedy that if it had been made into a movie in the '90s would have starred Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

I found myself wondering why had Jack asked me to read this book. I
Lacey
Not what I had expected in this giveaway book and I'm glad I recieved it. Twists and turns that made the book enjoyable. Another book that I'll have to read and read again. Plus give to my daughter when she's much older.
Adam Oster
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Ben Carter walks dogs for a living, which makes the opening to this book appear rather mellow. Sure, he might get attacked every once in a while, but the majority of his day appears to be picking up behind greyhounds with over-active bowels.

But things change rather quickly when he begins walking a little dog who goes by the name of Toby.

He's quickly thrust into a world of demons and cultists and a luchador from Japan...
Bill
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Ben is a pet health care and wellness specialist for Windy City Waggers. Ok. He is a dog walker. Not the most glamourous of jobs, but he dreams of being a famous screenwriter one day. Enemy Mine 2 is his ticket to fame and fortune. He can sell that one to the studios for sure. First, he must unlock the secrets behind the demon that evidently lives inside Toby the dog and fight off the crazed cultists bent on capturing him and harnessing Toby’s power for world domination. Not a problem. Well… ...more
Mary
*I won this book from FirstReads. Winning the Dog Walker will have no influence on my honest review.* I'd like to thank Jack McGuigan for the cute dog drawing that accompanied his signature.
I really liked this book. The snarkily kindhearted writing was entertaining and sometimes charming. Don't get me wrong, there is horror in the story. If you are easily frightened or creeped out you'll find material to provide that for you. I'm not frightened easily, a book hasn't scared me since 'Salem's Lot
Katie Garner
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The story was fun - interesting in parts, exciting in others and had just the right note of funny throughout. I really enjoyed the narrator as well. His reading really made the experience for me.
Heather
Story (Plot)
Performance
Production Quality
Attention Holding
Overall:

I love this book. Ben Carter is a clumsy, unlucky guy who walks dogs and picks up poop all day while trying to write a screenplay between charges. He seems to have about as much success with his work in progress as he does with the dogs and running out of bags at the wrong time. Of course, he's got a crush on the Blonde Hipster Girl he sees during his walks, and, when she asks him out one evening, he has no idea what he's in
Emmy
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
(Audiobook)

What did you love best about Dog Walker?
I loved the characters, the writing, and the plot line. Soo... um- everything!

What was one of the most memorable moments of Dog Walker?
When Ben realized Toby was not "just a dog", the drunk Master, the flaking human skin, when Ben learns the girl's name and realizes he still crushes on her

Have you listened to any of Travis Baldree’s other performances before? How does this one compare?
I was introduced to Travis in The Novices and he had a thumb
Simon
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
What an entertaining read!
Yes, the characters are a bit on the 2-dimensional side. But the story is quite well-told, with nice tidbits in-between, and another weirdness around every corner.
I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Paul McAniff
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That was awesome!

The description does it justice. It's wacky and wonderful. Of you like Christopher Moore you will totally dig story. Loved it.
Bae's Fire
It was ok

Because it was so lon g and boring I hated it you should choose something different next time you write a book

Haskell
s
Christopher Daly
Interesting to say the least

The story blends urban fantasy and comedy surprisingly well, making use of detailed life and fun characters. It's a great read.
Maureen Tracy
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

An easy fun read that you don't want to put down; you need to see what happens year and a lot of hilarious action.
Wendy
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally different

Once you start, you gotta finish it. Its fun, full of unexpected twists & turns. Haven't read anything so fun!
Carl
Dec 01, 2018
Tamara
Jun 25, 2019
Jack McGuigan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Dianna
Veronica
Jun 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Secretariat: The Making of a Champion
  • Murder by the Book (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #1)
  • Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family
  • Contamination Box Set: The Complete Post-Apocalyptic Series (Books 0-7)
  • Reclamation Project
  • J.A. Konrath Horror Trilogy - Three Scary Thriller Novels (Origin, The List, Haunted House)
  • Tether
  • The Color of Our Sky
  • What Fresh Hell (The Gods are Bastards Book 1)
  • Harm None ( A Davies & West Mystery, #1)
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars, #1)
  • Herald of Shalia 2
  • Herald of Shalia
  • Lincoln, Fox and the Bad Dog
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Last Dance
  • The Book of Betrayal (The Last Oracle, #5)
  • Fairy World M.D., Boxed Set One (The Olive Kennedy Fantasy Romance Series Book 1)
Jack McGuigan is the writer of Dog Walker, a novel, and Agents of Paradox, a comic book. In his youth, he made movies under the pseudonym “John McGuigan” which can be found pretty easily on the internet. He lives in Chicago with his wife, kid and dog. Years from now, when Jack’s grandkids ask what his first novel was about, he will probably lie.