Start by marking “Apex Magazine Issue 82” as Want to Read:
Apex Magazine Issue 82

Apex Magazine Issue 82

(Apex Magazine #82)

Apex Magazine is a monthly science fiction, fantasy, and horror magazine featuring original, mind-bending short fiction from many of the top pros of the field. New issues are released on the first Tuesday of every month.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Editorial
Words from the Editor-in-Chief—Jason Sizemore
Fiction

Agent of V.A.L.I.S. — Lavie Tidhar
Death Flowers of a Never-Forgotten Lo
Published February 28th 2016 by Apex Publications

To ask other readers questions about Apex Magazine Issue 82, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apex Magazine Issue 82

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
So far, this review is only for the short story, "Dolly," written by Elizabeth Bear. Some of the other stories in this volume intrigue me, so I may decide to revisit this when and if I read them.

I have loved Elizabeth Bear's writing ever since I read the short story The Girl Who Sang Rose Madder. Then when I read her story The Horrid Glory of it's Wings I was hooked. She further showed her range and her incredible writing chops with Faster Gun and This Chance Planet. Ok. I get it. I'm a
karen
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
NOTE:

i only read the elizabeth bear story dolly, at the urging of jess, and which i will review hopefully soon.
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
"Agent of V.A.L.I.S." by Lavie Tidhar - The Philip K. Dick and Christian allusions were mostly lost on me. It still raised interesting questions about how much one can every truly be certain about one's own reality.

"Screaming Without a Mouth" by Travis Heermann - I'll just say I thought the use of a modern epistolary format (texts, facebook posts, emails) was well done.

"Death Flowers of a Never-Forgotten Love" by Jason Sanford - I like the idea of a lasting memorial to a relationship that others
Patrick Hurley
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some really powerful stories in here. "Death Flower of Never-Forgotten Love" by Jason Sanford had a lovely melancholy to it. "Dolly" by Elizabeth Bear was a gripping mix of mystery and robot sci-fi. But it was "Screaming Without a Mouth" by Travis Heermann that actually came close to scaring me. Amazingly well done epistolary take on the Japanese hungry ghost--well updated for our current age of texting and emails.
James Chatham
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-kindle, 2016
This issue of Apex had some hits and misses for me. I really enjoyed the short works "Dolly", by Elizabeth Bear, and "Screaming Without a Mouth", by Travis Heermann. The rest of the short works were decent, but not great. For the most part, the poems didn't resonate with me, except for "The Sword Excalibur", by David Barber, which I quite enjoyed.
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magazines
"Dolly" was great! I just keep loving Elizabeth Bear's short fiction. Lavie Tidhar's story was also intriguing - apparently about/inspired by Philip K. Dick? Weird and hallucinatory and flowed like a dream.

The Japanese hungry ghost story though? Meh....
Jason Sizemore
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: apex-magazine
Trevor
Feb 23, 2017
Kelsie
Mar 06, 2016
Lesley
Jun 28, 2016
Annie Neugebauer
Mar 02, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Renee Elizabeths
Dec 08, 2017
Lily
Feb 26, 2018
Russell Dickerson
Apr 08, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-writing
Michael Joseph Schumann
Aug 02, 2018
I was born the son of an unemployed coal miner in a tiny Kentucky Appalachian villa named Big Creek (population 400). It’s an isolated area with beautiful rolling hills, thick forests, and country folk. I lived in Big Creek until I went to college, spending my weekends cruising the Winn Dixie parking lot of ladies, partying in my cousin’s run-down three room trailer, and being a member of the bad- ...more

Apex Magazine (1 - 10 of 118 books)
  • Apex Magazine Issue 39
  • Apex Magazine Issue 85 (June 2016)
  • Apex Magazine Issue 92
  • Apex Magazine Issue 80
  • Apex Magazine Issue 50
  • Apex Magazine Issue 56 (January 2014)
  • Apex Magazine Issue 68