Start by marking “Everything Must Go” as Want to Read:
Everything Must Go

Everything Must Go

Flora Goldwasser has fallen in love. She won't admit it to anyone, but something about Elijah Huck has pulled her under. When he tells her about the hippie Quaker school he attended in the Hudson Valley called Quare Academy, where he'll be teaching next year, Flora gives up her tony upper east side prep school for a life on a farm, hoping to woo him. A fish out of water, F ...more
Published October 3rd 2017 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Everything Must Go, please sign up.
PinkPiratePanda I got mine pretty fast. If i never receive a book within two months I contact the person who posted giveaway. To this day I still have a couple books…moreI got mine pretty fast. If i never receive a book within two months I contact the person who posted giveaway. To this day I still have a couple books I have not received and it was been over a year now.
My advice be patient and wait a couple more weeks, some places do take longer than others and sometimes they run out of copies and have to wait on more.(less)

Rebbie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I didn't realize this was a Young Adult book when I requested it on Netgalley (thanks for the ARC, btw), so it wasn't what I was expecting but was nevertheless a fun and fast read.

The other reviewers are completely correct, this is an original story with progressive and liberal leanings that is so much fun to read with its wittiness and quirkiness. Even the postmodern format of blog posts, emails, etc. was enjoyable, considering the nature of the book.

If you like feminist novels, funny narratio
Nidofito
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads, debut, ebooks
This was so much better than I had hoped for! Even though I took huge breaks while reading it, I had no trouble whatsoever getting back into it. That's pretty impressive since it's the author's debut book and I'm a reader who has more or less identified the genres that work for me and stick to them, and this isn’t necessarily a go-to genre for me.

Anyways, I think readers that have gotten bored of the typical YA romances should give this book a try. Everything mentioned in the blurb does happen,
Eloise
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i LOVED this book. the characters are so original and funny, and the entire story is hilarious and thought provoking. not like other YAs! the author sent it to me even though i don't usually read YA fiction, but i connected so much to flora and found everything about this novel fresh and exciting.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, for-review
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

Thanks so much to St. Martin’s Press for providing me with an e-ARC of this book! I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review, but that does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Everything Must Go was certainly not the book I expected, from start to finish. However, the book I actually got was a bit of a hidden gem. This book was smart, funny, and feminist. It’s definitely one of the more *~intelligent~* YA
Liz Cettina
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
intelligent and super fun. im shocked other readers had problems with the progressive parts of this story-- it's not like inclusivity is bad thing?!?!
Karen Forsyth
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything Must Go by Jenny Fran Davis , is a delightful book full of wonderful characters and a fun filled story.
The Main character of Flora in the book, her style and ambition, trials and tribulations, keeps the reader intrigued as to what will happen next in the Quaker boarding school that she has enrolled in.
I would recommend this book for all ages , a great summer read.
I won this book through Goodreads. Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Kelley
Feb 03, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf, book-on-nook
This ended up being a DNF.
Full review to come later.
Sahitya
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Very new age and self deprecating feminist novel. It’s definitely very progressive and there were a lot of intellectual discussions throughout, but maybe I’m not smart enough to understand all of it and it left me confused a lot of times.

I still think you should give it a try if you are interested in feminist YA. Maybe it just wasn’t exactly for me.
Adriana
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
So not what I was expecting! At first glance, I didn't think I could like a story about a privileged girl in a school where they talk about social constructs, feminism, and the like but I really got into Flora's life. She was this smart rich girl that loved fashion and was infatuated with an older boy. She learned so much about herself that she moved beyond that image. Very unexpectedly lovely and some phenomenal writing.

Flora becomes a fashion icon when she meets this older boy who's tutoring h
Emily
This book was SO much fun to read. It's smart, funny, and feminist, probably because its protagonist is smart, funny, and feminist. Flora Goldwasser is a (more socially- and self-aware) Georgia Nicholson for this generation of YA readers. (WOW that comparison makes me feel old.) Look out for Everything Must Go in October - full review to come!
Deanna
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. Here is my review! This was a great book.

Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was a hardcover I got from the publisher for review.

Water is wet, I love cats, and I’m really bad at reviewing books on time when working with a publisher. All these are proven facts. I do things at a relaxed pace to keep some of the stress away, but this is one time I wish I’d gotten to a book when I was supposed to. Everything Must Go deserved and still deserves a ton of attention for being funny, queer, and unforgettable!

Flora is unapologetical
Kiki Cole
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-books
A highly feminist novel is now in our midst! Flora Goldwasser is the epitome of a strong feminist figure with her vintage attire and her no bs persona, she brings the old school to the modern world. Shaking up societal ideals on what it means to be a strong and confident young woman and do amazing things through art, Flora takes an unexpected journey through queerness, sex, and finding herself. I loved the light and love this novel shared with readers. I felt very happy and could see how positiv ...more
Riley Redgate
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
oh, this was a delight. smart and fresh and witty and filled with complex questions about what constitutes Good Feminism, Good Art, Good Activism, and everything in-between.
Page
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of Everything Must Go by Jenny Davis, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

As of this post, the book had not yet been released.

There is plenty to unpack here--most of which I won't be able--but because I have only just finished reading, I am still processing the evolution of Flora Goldwasser. I could wait to write this later, but I'm afraid I'd lose the rawness of my thoughts.

Who is Flora? Flora is what some might call "extra".

Upon meeting her, you get the impre
Leah
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @ 28%

I can't do it anymore.
Carol
This book is BONKERS. Or at least it starts out that way. The end result is a fantastic feminist read that will get you fired up and ready to let it all go.

Longer rview to come when I can form words better.

Advance copy received through my workplace via our book vendor ARC program.
Stephanie A.
There is absolutely nothing I love like fishing through a big ol' pile of personal papers, so handing me the equivalent of a carefully curated, chronologically arranged and occasionally annotated scrapbook of a school year -- that manages to tell a story along the way? Best. Book idea. Ever.

The list of styles includes but is not limited to: emails and handwritten letters (not necessarily to or from Flora), attempted letters, blog posts w/ outfit photos, school progress reports, literary analyses
Scottsdale Public Library
This debut young adult novel by Jenny Fran Davis is such a treat. I knew I had to read this book when I found out it is set in a Quaker School just outside of Woodstock, NY, which is practically my hometown! The cast of characters is as quirky as they come, as you might expect from the self-proclaimed artists' colony of Woodstock.

Flora Goldwasser is plunged into a new way of living when she follows her crush to a small, prestigious hippie school called Quare Academy. When she arrives, she learn
Samantha (WLABB)
I really enjoyed this book! It was quite an interesting journey with Flora, as she searched for her true self during a difficult period in her life. It was quirky, fun, and touched upon a bunch of interesting issues.

•Pro: I love mixed format books, and this one included emails, blog posts, photos, letters, and more. The different formats were used well, and were cleverly used to bring in different perspectives.

•Pro: Flora was a star. I loved her voice from page one, and I was so happy to go on
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
The quirky and colourful cover was what first drew me into reading Everything Must Go when I came across it on Netgalley. Although I hadn't yet heard anything about this book from other bloggers, I decided to be one of the first to dive into it.

Just like the cover, this book was for sure quirky. That's the one word I'd use to describe every aspect about it. Don't worry, by quirky I mean in an absolutely awesome way. From the characters to the plot, I adored it all!

Everything Must Go is basically
Kathy - Books & Munches
The first thing that intrigued me about this novel, was the fact that Flora already has fallen in love. Most stories focus on the love story, instead this is a novel that promises to give you something else, something more unique.
Add to that the out-of-the-ordinary format of letters, emails and journal entries... Well, it looked promising!

So this is where we begin: with me, naked and in love in the bathtub, like many a tragic protagonist before me.

At about 25% in the novel I started to get doubt
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

20% in and I am noping my way out of this.

A bit longer review will come in September.

EDIT (since some people will always find fault in things): I will just leave a few quotes here which I found weird (grammatically, sentence-wise, or because it was TMI (Too much information)).
Please don't assume I am racist because I am talking about colour/etc. (that sentence just seemed odd to me, and I also discussed it with other people, an
eerie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Everything Must Go! I could not put it down. Flora is such a complex character, and I just looove Juna! The story is so fresh and original I would love to see it adapted to the small screen at some point; would love to see Floras outfits and Quare's campus come to life! This book deals with so many relevant topics. I really wish this book was released when I was in high school, definitely would have been obsessed with it then as well.
Alice
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a big YA fan and this book drew me in from the very start. I like the way it is written in a series of emails, letters, journal entries etc - it has been a while since I read a book in this type of format. It was refreshing.

Flora and the other main characters are well written. I particularly liked Flora's overall character development. At first I felt she was playing the victim too much - but that changed over the course of the novel, making her more likeable.

If you love YA but are sick of
Sally
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe how quickly I read this. It's quite a long book but today I steamed through more than half of it in one go to get to the end!

Love love love. Quare was such an interesting setting and I loved seeing it through Flora's eyes, so disparaging at first but then over time SHE becomes more 'Quare' herself.

I think I had a bit of a crush on Dean too.

The letters/emails/diary entries format was really well done too. It didn't simply read like a bunch of letters; as most of them were from Flo
Cristin
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with this book.

Everything Must Go is a story that is told through letters, emails, and journals throughout Flora's first year at the...hippie...boarding school called Quare. She gets here because of fascination and obsession with an older boy Elijah, who is a tutor at her school and a former Quare graduate. She thinks that attending this school will deepen the connection between her and Elijah, but she has no clue what she's gotten herself into.

She walks into a very hippie commun
Tara Brown
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won an ARC of Everything Must Go by Jenny Fran Davis through a Goodreads giveaway...thank you! I was immediately drawn in by the cover, and imagined it would be a fun, light read. I didn't expect it to have such an impact on me, emotionally! It really hit home in a few places and I felt a connection to the characters. The story unfolds in a series of journal entries, letters, and emails. I really enjoyed it, and I definitely recommend it to those who enjoy books such as, Where'd You Go, Bernad ...more
Michelle
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book through a goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed the format of the book as it provided different perspectives on the growth of the characters. I really enjoyed how the story looks at how we try on various personalities in an attempt to find ourselves and how it is important to view people not as single stories/snapshots from a moment in time but as complex individuals that cannot be neatly compartmentalized into boxes.
Diane
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a Goodreads first-reads giveaway.

Vibrant, unique, refreshingly cool narrator/heroine. A coming of age story, where she finds herself and what it means to be yourself and respect yourself and your choices; love is not always where you expect it. Easy to read and a unique voice.
Jenny Fran Davis was born in Manhattan and wrote Everything Must Go as an undergraduate at Wesleyan University.