Start by marking “The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art” as Want to Read:
The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art

The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art

This set of simple techniques, including meditation, breathing exercises, openness, and play--Aiki--leads gently to a reordered state of mind. From overcoming apathy to understanding how conflict doesn't have to mean contest, Aiki turns mind-body integration principles into powerful tools.
Published February 1st 1998 by Touchstone (first published October 1987)

White
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that has brought me "home" time and again. This book expounds on turning conflict around and finding the opportunity for self-improvement into it. Again, it has to do with balance, changing perspective and seeing conflict as a gift that life hands us to learn from and better ouselves by seeking the balance between. I honestly believe that I would not have conquered the attitude I have of insult and power struggle within myself and others had I not read this book. It brought me the ...more
Steve Rangoussis
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone dealing with assholes on a consistent basis
Recommended to Steve by: Some asshole, j/k
If you work with assholes, this is a must read. This work offers a different perspective to the concept of conflict at work and in personal life. Written by an Aikido practitioner, many of the martial art's concepts are applied to the theories of using conflict for a positive outcome rather than a negative confrontation that leads to diminishing results. Interesting read.
Kellybiney
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed greater peace just sitting and reading this book. He writes in a very open and clear manner, and I think the text font has something to do with it too. Great quotes and suggestions to be more centered and loving and peaceful, even in the presence of conflict.
Bill Donhiser
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
As with the other Thomas Crum book I read really enlightening would love to attend his Aspen seminars and get a little firsthand practice with the master I enjoyed the book and hearing him speak
Brandon Bosworth
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Nice examination of various non-aggressive ways to approach and resolve conflict.
Sheryl
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The premise of this book is one that we all know and always forget: work with conflict as a positive force for action, not as something to struggle against and fear. Old book, but lots of good information here.
Michelle Beese
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different and positive perspective on conflict!
Emily
Nov 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This was a good overview of the martial art aikido, but it didn't have enough on applying the principles to everyday life.
George Bounacos
Jul 28, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • First Among Equals: How to Manage a Group of Professionals
  • So What?: How to Communicate What Really Matters to Your Audience
  • In Search of the Warrior Spirit: Teaching Awareness Disciplines to the Green Berets
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • The Tao Speaks: Lao-Tzu's Whispers of Wisdom
  • Verbal Judo: The Gentle Art of Persuasion
  • Aikido in Everyday Life: Giving in to Get Your Way
  • Putting the One Minute Manager to Work: How to Turn the 3 Secrets into Skills
  • The Adventures of Anybody
  • Good in a Room: How to Sell Yourself (and Your Ideas) and Win Over Any Audience
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Secrets of Great Rainmakers: The Keys to Success and Wealth