Start by marking “The Captive (The Secret Circle, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Captive (The Secret Circle, #2)

The Captive

(The Secret Circle #2)

Can The Secret Circle Survive...

Lured into the most popular in-crowd imaginable, Cassie is intoxicated by her newfound strength, a power as addictive as it is perilous.

Caught between two members' consuming desires to use the coven's mysterious force, Cassie turns to one of their boyfriends, Adam--and falls captive to her own dangerous love.

Bewitched by the promise of love
Published October 15th 1992 by HarperTeen (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Captive

Ahmad Sharabiani
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 20th-century
The Captive (The Secret Circle #2), L.J. Smith
Allison ☾
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Wicked, she could almost hear Faye chuckling throatily.
You're not evil, you're just wicked . . . like me.

The Club is divided between Team Faye and Team Diana. Cassie, who loves Diana very dearly, is hiding a naughty secret that would destroy Diana and cause everyone to hate her if they found out. Unfortunately, the one person who knows Cassie's secret is Faye. Faye being the crazy bad bitch that she is, blackmails Cassie into being her own personal puppet.

After a homecoming dance gone awry,
Fani
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, paranormal
This book was even better than the first one! We get to know more things about the people who form the circle something i really needed because i couldn't distinguish them in the first book. Twelve characters were a lot for me to handle and i'm really impressed with the author because not only she manages to involve them all in the action but she also made each of them unique.

I'm glad Cassie got more stronger in this book both in spirit and in magic, seeing the main character being weak all the
C.C.
When I review a book, I usually look at two things, first is if the story is good and second is if the characters are likeable.

1. The story

I liked the story very much, the suspense was exciting and as they're coming to reach a conclusion I feel that I wanna find it out with them. Sometimes I can't put the book down because I wanna know what's next. Cassie's inside conflict was kind of ridiculous for me but the issue about the evil spirit was kind of cool.

2. The characters

I tried really reall
Sheryl C. Nash
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read this whole series back when i was 13-14 and i was BLOWN away by it.... so much so i DESPERATELY wanted to be a witch... hmmm... maybe i just wanted Adam.... :)
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
◆ It's a quick and easy read full of tropes including girl-hate.
◆ The writing is easily digestible and the pacing is fast and concise which makes it hard to DNF.
◆ I consider this series to be the best of the worst.
◆ There are some unique twists to old tropes, like Cassie's decision making.
◆ All of the characters are unbelievable.
◆ We don't learn about anyone's motivations except the protagonist's.
◆ There is not even a response to people dying in town.
◆ On two occasions the protagonists, in
TasosBananasBOOKS
2nd time read! I must read the next book now! that Cliffhanger....😱 I am in love with this series again.
Jordon
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: witches, magic
Review at Miss Book Reviews.

*WARNING: This section contains spoilers for the first book!*

Now that Cassie is officially in 'The Club' and now known as one of the 'in' group at school she finds life so much better, she feels welcome and wanted, not like a disease everyone is trying to avoid. Unfortunately for her she is dealing with her desires for Adam, Diana's boyfriend, whom she fell in love with on the beach last summer (One meeting is all it took...). She loves Diana and she would never wa
Anya
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
L.J. Smith certainly knows how to build the suspense. And that cliffhanger... ahhh

Grabbing the next book in the series right this second!
Debbie
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is book 2 in The Secret Circle series. See my review of book 1 here. This book was just as good as the first in the series. The tension is building as Cassie is black mailed into helping Faye wrestle power away from Diana. Cassie finds herself hurting those she cares most about and also suffers a great loss in her family. Cassie’s grandmother also reveals important information that none of the Circle knew about previously in hopes it will help them battle the dark force that was released.

Fa
Kristen
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I love magic. The drama in this book is overwhelming and the dialog is very poor. Cliffhanger... so, I have to read the next one.
Cindy
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: witch lovers like myself
Cassie is being blackmailed by Faye. But doing what Faye asks will be the ultimate form of betrayal. Will Cassie go through with it?
If she doesn't, she runs the risk of destroying her relationship with Diana, and perhaps the entire Circle. But if she does, something evil might be unleashed on New Salem. An old and very powerful evil.

In my review of The Initiation, I mentioned I'm biased on this trilogy. Biased as hell. Wish I wasn't, but I am.

For one thing, I was obsessed with the TV show. I als
Emma
THIS is a guilty pleasure, if ever there was one!

Rereading this series now, last time (2011-2012-ish) I didn’t make it through all the books, according to my bookmark I only made it about 4.5 chapters into THE POWER before I gave up.
This time around the tv-show isn’t as fresh in my head and I’m not struggling to keep them apart (they are SO different, I remember just being confused by the books last time).
TSC really is a 90s/soap opera/ teenage/ drama/witchy mashup thingy...which doesn’t mean
Kate H
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Secret Circle series by L.J. Smith was always my favorite series of hers so when I decided to read it again I was worried that it would be awful and ruin my fond memories. While I did find it to be less good than I remembered I still quite enjoyed the characters and story even if the writing style was not exactly to my liking.
Debra
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
For my written review, please check out the link below:
Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Alejandra Bran (BlueMind)
Omg what the fuck?
♥Xeni♥
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Woot, just reread this! My main point? I wish that they had taken the last scene (actually, all of it) and at least stuck that one into the tv show. Eerie red lights and weird shadow figures killing grandma's? Freaky as shit! Instead, we get parents murdering their parents. Yeah, that might be more 'realistic' in a witch drama show. Maybe. Actually, a demon/devil/spirit dude killing for revenge is a lot more likely of a scenario.

Completely easy to read by now, but it's still a good book. This on
Connie
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Source: I own this book.
Cost: The bind up of the first three books in this series were given to me as a gift.

Title: The Captive
Series: The Secret Circle #2
Author: LJ Smith
Overall rating: 3.9 stars

I liked this one a lot more than I liked the last one, the last one, I don't know...It wasn't as thrilling as I wanted it to be. But this one really had me hooked. I loved Cassie in this book as she really came into her own character, she was strong (for the most part) and I genuinely like he
Rebecca
The main plot line and magic of this world is so great, and these were my favorite books as a 13 year old. As an adult, I see soo many issues with the story, (most notably, the nepotism and very cheeeeesy romance) but still, it holds a very special place in my heart and is the reason I read fantasy so I can’t rate it. When I was 13 (1993) it was a 5 star read, but ad an adult....well, it’s pretty bad, but like I said, I still think the idea is really cool and intriguing but it could be sooo much ...more
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Not much to say here as everything I've written about L.J. Smith applies to this one as well. Okay, I do like the character Nick a bit. I'll give her credit in her descriptions of New England. They are very vivid and full of life. Smith does do a good job when it comes to describing the natural world, she's just muddled down with standard cliches when it comes to people.
Monica
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Don't remember much from this one.
Tia
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Final Rating: 4 Stars
FangirlB
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story is getting a lot better and more interesting and I couldn`t put it down. ...more
Erica N
Sep 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I couldnt put it down finished it in just a few hours.cant wait to read the third one tomorrow.
Natalie Plaatjies
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Secret Circle: The Captive, was definitely better than The Initiation. Cassie's character for one was much more stronger and her character as a whole was much more impressive and believable. The story also became more interesting. I however was not impressed by the forbidden love between Adam and Cassie, the way in which is written is not believable even if its based on the whole soulmate principle, not enough happens between the Adam and Cassie for her to fall for him, so easily and quickly... ...more
Amisth
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Tazzie Dee
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After The Initiation, Faye has Cassie under her control as her captive & orders Cassie to do a couple of things for her and they include stealing the mysterious skull from Diana. If Cassie disobeys any of her orders, Faye vows to tell Diana about Cassie’s & Adam’s little kiss. Cassie sees no way out, and follows Faye’s demands. However, it only brings disaster. Thanks to Cassie, Faye ends up being the leader of the coven & an evil spirit is unleashed. Will Cassie be able to undo what ...more
Rachel
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Plot-wise, I enjoyed this much more than the first. The first is a lot of exposition, and although I usually like that, it didn’t excel there. The plot gets more interesting and darker. I was curious as to what was going to happen, and since I have a combo of book 2 and 3, I’m going to read book 3 because now I’m a bit more hooked than I was with book 1. It still doesn’t blow me away, but it at least keeps my interest.
Angelena A aa¡
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this slow to read at certain points and was kind of bummed about nothing really happening between Cassie and Nick. Faye’s manipulation of Cassie and all the secrets that were just waiting to come out, made me stressed while reading the book. However the ending has left me excited for the next book!
Ice star
Oh Cassie, Cassie. Why are you so stupid? I hate the fact she let's everyone treating her the way they like.
And seriously Diana how can you ask Cassie on the phone to go the ball with your boyfriend? This is just bullshit.
Oh and there little magic trick is...I don't know, nothing really interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Graduation (Final Friends, #3)
  • Overdue
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • And it Harm None (Circle of Three, #13)
  • Witches' Key to Terror
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

The Secret Circle (6 books)
  • The Initiation (The Secret Circle, #1)
  • The Power (The Secret Circle, #3)
  • The Divide (The Secret Circle, #4)
  • The Hunt (The Secret Circle, #5)
  • The Temptation (The Secret Circle, #6)
“I won't feel. . . But that was impossible. She couldn't help feeling.” 11 likes
“You're a witch, she reminded herself. You should love cemeteries. They're probably your natural habitat.” 11 likes