Start by marking “Imperfect Harmony” as Want to Read:
Imperfect Harmony

Imperfect Harmony

Imperfect harmony can still be beautiful…

John Fletcher, a former musician, is stuck in limbo after losing his long-term partner two years ago. He’s shut himself off from everything that reminds him of what he’s lost. When his neighbour persuades him to join the local community choir, John rediscovers his love of music and finds a reason to start living again.

Rhys Callingto
Published April 15th 2016 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about Imperfect Harmony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperfect Harmony

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
At first glance, John and Rhys have nothing in common. Rhys is young and vibrant. He commands attention, and not just because of the blue streak in his hair.

John is lonely and grieving the loss of both his mom and David, his partner of nearly 20 years. A former high school music instructor, John works as a supply (substitute) teacher and feels every one of his 42 years.

When his next-door neighbor drags a reluctant John to choir practice held at a local church, John is awe-struck by Rhys's charm
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

I found this one to be rather melancholy. And a bit boring if I'm being honest. I just couldn't seem to get in to it. The first 25% or so was a lot of going to choir practice, walking dogs, and visiting the nursing home.

Both MCs were in their heads a lot. And yeah, what they both went through was really sad (I'm not completely heartless) but at times I thought the exes were too present.

Things did pick up once the MCs got together....but at this point I was starting to skim.

This one
Jay Northcote
Mar 03, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
Now out, and on KU until mid July.
Imperfect Harmony, tells the story of two lost souls, John and Rhys, who connect and find happiness again through their shared love of music. During the course of the story I mention several songs/tunes that are important to the story. I wrote a blog post with a playlist and links to the music referenced in the story. You can read it here:

This title will be Amazon exclusive for 90 days after release, after that it will be
.Lili.
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-gap, m-m
 photo image.jpg1_zpstqpjkmws.jpg

Gosh, I sure did love this one. Imperfect Harmony is the story of two very different with similar life experiences. John is 42 and grieving the loss of his partner David and his mom. At this point, he's just going through the motions. Then one day he's talked into participating in the local choir. The choir director is a charismatic young man with tattoos and blue hair and 19 years younger than John.

There was so much to love about this book here are my highlights:

-I love opposites attract storie
SheReadsALot
3.75 HEARTS--Imperfect Harmony is a second chance at romance story that features two men with a nineteen year age gap. Though their differences in their age might be great, they shared passions in music helps bridge the gap. Set in small town in Britain, John still grieves for his partner. It's been two years but the grief is still present. He lives a quiet life in his former family home alone. A well meaning family friend invites him to a community choir practice. When he finally comes inside f ...more
Amanda
3.5 'imperfect' stars

Imperfect Harmony dealt with loss and second chances. It is an emotional book that tug at my heart strings even though I never went through such event before.

John Fletcher, 42, is a music teacher who loss his long termed partner to an accident. Back at his hometown, he was going through life as a supply teacher while secluding himself from any socialization.

"I miss you. I wish you were still here."

Rhys Callington, 23, is a musician and the choir leader for the local commun
Ele
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
**4.5 stars**

This story had every potential to be a bottomless pit of angst. It would be so easy for this to turn into melodrama, but it didn't. Sure, there is grief and sorrow. But most of all, Imperfect Harmony is a story about love, hope, and music.

It's been two years since John lost his partner, David. Two years of loneliness, without another person's touch, and without music. When he meets the director of the local choir, Rhys, he can't imagine that the vibrant, tattooed, blue-haired man sh
Jewel
4.5 Stars

2016 has been good to me so far with the books! If there is one thing I like even better than stories of self discovery, it's second chance stories, and Imperfect Harmony does not disappoint.

Both John and Rhys know what it's like to lose a loved one. In John's case, he lost his partner of twenty years and still bears the guilt of surviving. Rhys lost his boyfriend to death, too, and it wrecked him, and being so young, he maybe didn't quite have the coping skills that life experience wil
Ariana
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, age-gap
This book ticks quite a few of my 'like boxes':

.) age gap
.) interesting MCs
.) in depth characterization
.) musicians and music making
.) a realistic plot
.) subtle humour
.) furry chest (LOL, judge me if you must!)
.) a very nice HEA (or is it a NHF?)

The main themes of Imperfect Harmony are grief management and age difference, and the author deals with both very nicely.

Being closer to John's age I can fully appreciate all his worries about going it long term with Rhys . I would have exactly the same
Renée
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
So this one will go in the everyone-loved-it-but-me category.

I LOVE Jay Northcote. I love her MORE when she writes full-length over novella-length. But this one fell flat (music pun ;P). What I DID love: lots of music in this book and did you see the cover? Amazing!

But......It was just too sweet, too goody-goody, too MUCH of something. The fluff was higher than what I expect from Northcote. There was grief and slight conflict, but it was really a case of personal tastes from ME and not the boo
Lelyana

I have to admit, I'm making this book more personal to me. As if Jay wrote this for me.
The grieving, the losing someone named David. The thing with hard to move on, that not everyone will understand.
I do.
Because death sucks.
"Death sucked, losing people sucked. It was as simple as that."

It's like robbed you on the spot when you want to pay the cashier for your purchases. And all you can do is sad and angry. At first, you don't know what to do without it.
Jay made a better analogy about this
Karen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Age doesn't always bring wisdom with it...

"Imperfect Harmony" is a wonderful second chance story about to men who for all intents and purposes on paper shouldn't work but they do...sometimes opposites do attract.

John is 19 years older than Rhys. He's already lost too much and keeps the world at a distance trying to keep the hurt away. But the world has a way of only letting a person have so much distance and when John's neighbor finally lures him into choir practice one day the world presents
Jaime
4 Second Chances Stars
This is a great book by author Jay Northcote about two men who are both trying to overcome past losses and see if they can learn to live and maybe even love again.

John Fletcher, he is one of our MC, he is older, set in his ways yet stuck in limbo at the same time after losing his partner of over twenty years. He doesn't know how to live without his partner. So, he doesn't. It isn't until he is helping his elderly neighbor to choir practice that he meets our second MC Rhys
CrabbyPatty
A beautifully written story of love, loss and second chances. Loved the setting - with John being a substitute music teacher, and Rhys teaching community choir and leading other musical clubs around town. Each have lost someone very dear to them and throughout the book John has to come to terms with moving past the mourning he has done for the last two years after his partner David died. For me personally, the middle of the book seemed a bit slow, but I liked the low-angst of the book, and the e ...more
Annie ~ Queer Books Unbound
Reviewed for From Top to Bottom Reviews.

**A COPY OF THIS BOOK WAS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR IN RETURN OF AN HONEST REVIEW**

I love each and every book by Jay Northcote and have read them all. She’s just “my kind of author” and I can trust that I won’t be disappointed by the story.
I hope the day never arrives that I don’t like a book by her.
So far that hasn’t happened and Imperfect Harmony was another fantastic story. It’s my favourite even.

I loved this book! It’s been two years since John lost his p
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jay Northcote has done it again. He just gets better and better, and while this one didn't quite grab me the way some of his others have, I still found myself enjoying the fuck out of it. It was refreshing reading about love that wasn't instant, sex that wasn't perfect, and two characters who are flawed, but not needlessly wangsty and brooding.
Barbara
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, br
namericanwordcat
I think this romance is a bit of hidden treasure. Each element is carefully painted. The choir, the music, the grief, the age difference... we even get dogs!

I am a big fan of Jay Northcote and this book really speaks to why. I love the imperfect loveliness of the heros. The risk of a second chance the not perfect sex and so much love.

Pick this one up and enjoy.
Ami
Imperfect Harmony is a story of two men who are connected through music while trying to move on from loss of loved ones. John, forty-year-old former musician now a supply teacher and Rhys, twenty-three-year-old also former musician now a choir leader...

I start to think of Northcote's stories as nice and dependable, something I can read when I just want easy and familiar situation. This is the 6th Jay Northcote's book that I read ... and while it wasn't mind-blowing for me but I didn't dislike
Becca - Wicked Quests of a BookNinja
description

What a beautiful, heartwarming story!
This book is about the pure things of life. But not just the bright ones. The ugly ones, too. Our heroes have to leartn, fight and they really have to be brave. So this story is about their way to happiness.

description

I really loved the author's skillfull way with words. She's kind of amazing. She put so much emotions into this book.

I smiled and cried a lot. But all I feel is pure delight. Thanks.
Jordan
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 - Ahem, I'm in love with a new Northcote character and his name is Jooohhhhhnnnn.

Seriously, though, John was something else. He'd been through so much in life and right when he was given happiness it was yanked out from under his nose. He pretty much went into power saving mode and walked through life like he was a robot. Eat, sleep, drink, excrete waste, be productive, don't think. He'd lost every bit of the passion he used to have and life was no longer about living. He was just survivin
Sheri
Hypocrite. I try my best not be to hypocritical and ensure my actions and beliefs coincide. Yet there are times when reading that I stop and ponder my reactions to a book and how they have changed throughout the years. I strive to read with an open-heart and an open-mind. I have struggled with significant age gaps in my romance novels in the past. I wish I could reread all of those stories now. I have come to understand and appreciate that love knows no age.
Imperfect Harmony is a beautiful exam
⚣Michaelle⚣
Audio Review: 4.2 Stars

And once again a great narration improves the experience and my enjoyment of the book. Mark Steadman did a wondeful job; the grief portrayed was palpable and I loved the sex scenes (funny and hot).

Original Rating: 4 Stars

A very emotional read* that tackles not one but two characters with partners who've died and how to move on from that. I really appreciated that there was a significant gap between the deaths and when they meet to give them both time to grieve and grow. An
Otterpuss
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What I love about Jay Northcote's writing is that it's so easy, and I mean that in the best possible way.
It's easy to read and easy to get into and easy to become involved with the characters.
The writing flows easily and I feels
safe and comfortable with the characters, almost as if they are old friends.

I loved David and Rhys and I really enjoyed the dual PoV.
It was sweet and touching and lovely but there was also humour, and I chuckled out loud a couple of times.

Their first time together was
Christelle
A sweet and sexy romance about second chance

David and Rhys are different. One is 42 years old, the other one 23, one is quite shy, the other one quite vibrant. But they have 2 things in common : they are grieving the loss of their partners and they share a passion with music. When they meet, feelings they haven’t experienced for a long time start to grow. However, they have to let go of the memory of their past lovers and their difference in age.

Jay Northcote is a great author and the premises o
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
You have to hold your horse while reading this story. It will grow on you.
Initially, I was making faces at my choice....but then the emotional ride was worth it.
Isabel
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reading with friends!!!!
Gaby
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love when authors surprise me. I’ve always enjoyed Jay Northcote’s work. Whenever I feel down, or overwhelmed with work and life I turn to her books and I find myself feeling better, almost instantly. She writes books that are sweet and fun to read. Her characters are, most of the times, a lovely experience to read. John and Rhys from Imperfect Harmony were not the exception.

I must confess that I was a bit worried about this book. At first sight it had a lot of elements that I normally either
Maria
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this. Tender and sweet and real. Average characters leading extraordinary lives, though they may not think so. I do.

Creating music and giving it to others, for nothing more than a smile of happiness. It's hard work and means everything to pass it along freely. Teaching kids music takes the patience of Job. Leading a church choir, unpaid volunteers, takes a lot of work and commitment. It's so fulfilling when you get it right.

Finding love through a shared love of music, magical. Ove
Tess
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-gap
4 stars

Very gentle and quiet romance set in a small market town in the Cotswalds. Two men, each grieving the loss of a partner, are brought together by music. They become friends, then lovers, and the main obstacle they have to overcome along the way is the 19 year age gap between them. This had a very real life feel to it. I also really appreciated the fact that neither of them were physically perfect - always nice to see in m/m romance!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
BR with my Girls! Monday April 25 4 8 Apr 26, 2016 05:08AM

• Beneath the Stain - Part Seven
  • Lucky Man
  • The Impossible Boy
  • True Brit
  • Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)
  • A Worthy Man (The Men of Halfway House, #5)
  • Blue Eyed Stranger (Trowchester Blues, #2)
  • Mask (West End #2)
  • Prelude (Blue Notes, #4)
  • Boys Don't Cry
  • Grand Slam
  • Fusion (North Star #2)
  • Second to None (The Breakfast Club, #3)
  • Sebastian: The Complete Series
  • Love Life & Circumstance
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website c
“It’s ironic, really, isn’t it? Nineteen-year age gap, and it’s the old bloke who comes in his pants, and the twenty-something with performance issues.” 0 likes
“It’s as if you had a story together and it was never finished. You never got to know the ending because a whole fucking chunk of the pages have been torn out of the back of the book. And it’s so unfair.” The” 0 likes