Start by marking “We Sang You Home” as Want to Read:
We Sang You Home

We Sang You Home

In this sweet and lyrical board book from the creators of the bestselling Little You, gentle rhyming text captures the wonder new parents feel as they welcome baby into the world. A celebration of the bond between parent and child, this is the perfect song to share with your little ones.

Internationally renowned storyteller and bestselling author Richard Van Camp teams up
Board Book, 26 pages
Published October 18th 2016 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about We Sang You Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Sang You Home

ElphaReads
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely charming book that can be read to babies and toddlers about love parents have for children. It's also important to note that it gives voice to Indigenous cultures, which is very important since their voices are almost completely unheard in children's literature. The art is also quite nice. A good choice for the upcoming holiday season if you know of anyone with babies!
Ames Public Library Youth Services
Board books can serve many purposes. Some are for chewing. Some are for learning concepts. Some are for fun. Some are apparently for making librarians cry at their desks on a Friday morning.

The newest board book by Richard Van Camp and illustrated by Julie Flett is the latter. Its beautiful illustrations and text share just how happy parents are to have their children in their lives. Van Camp writes about how much babies and children are loved by their parents. Flett's illustrations show a smal
Samantha
In poetic text, parents welcome a child to the world. Gouache illustrations with digital collage features a cast of First Nations characters.

Highly recommended for new parents, especially as a gift, and for reading to baby.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
A nice gift for new parents.
Marissa Elera
A wonderful ode to new baby and family.
A sweet book for new parents to read to their new child. Written in both English and Plains Cree, this tells the child how much they are loved, and important.

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful sentiments.

Good that dual language picture books are being published, so this can be available to children of Cree parents as well.

#KaKîwehNikamôstamâtinân #NetGalley

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Elizabeth
I have enjoyed what little I have read from Richard Van Camp before, and I always love Julie Flett's illustrations. I wasn't surprised to find such a cute and charming story.

The illustrations were easily my favourite thing about this book, but they weren't the only good thing. The story is the perfect kind to read to babies and toddlers, with that lovely parental love sort of message to it. There was such sweet and genuine affection that it was hard not to smile.

Recommended for anyone looking f
Angie  Moore
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely breathtaking! My children are currently 16 and 12, but I still feel the way shown in the book about them. They are miracles. We dreamed and wished for them. I love how this book is dual language, and although I cannot speak Cree, it looks so lovely. This is another "baby shower" or baby gift book that will be given to friends and loved ones. I think it will even make a good library or classroom addition, because of how much love is shown in it, and our students need that ...more
Tracey
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
diverse picture book (a board book for parents welcoming a new baby; families; parental love for their child)
* Prominently features diverse characters: beautiful illustrations depict medium-dark skinned families with straight black hair (could be identified as asian or First Nations or possibly Latinx). There are some spreads with just mom and baby, and other spreads with two parents--usually one with long hair that presents as female and one with short hair that could be interpreted as male or
Cheriee Weichel
Julie Flett's illustrations are as gorgeous as usual. Van Camp's text speaks to the special magic that a new baby brings. As much as I love this book, and I do, I'm not sure what age group this would be for. I can see parents reading it to their preschoolers, but I'm not sure this would have a place for K to grade 3 readers. As a possible choice for the chocolate lily award, I think it's too young.
Great Books
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: birth-4
This little board book is a parent’s song to a child containing message every child should hear; you are wanted, you are loved, you are our miracle. Each page has sparse illustrations of Native American children and families but universally appealing to all. A great gift to new parents. Reviewer 11
Kate
Penny
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful book! This would make a wonderful gift for someone expecting a baby or for new parents. Kudos Richard for such a wonderful story! Kudos to Julie Flett, the Illustrator, for such beautiful pictures!
Brittany
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Not rhyming, which is why I'm surprised I enjoyed it so much. A little less sugar-sweet than usual take on being glad your baby is yours.
Claire
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: row
Beautiful story and illustrations; Great for snuggling baby; Representation of a modern native family
Alyssa Tabor
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh, it was a little mystical for my taste, but the illustrations were simple, engaging, and reasonably understable for very young minds.
Naomi
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book reads like a song. The illustrations fill your mind with joy. I read this every night to my little one and we enjoy celebrating the life of welcoming him to our family!
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was weird to me... maybe I just don't get the "deep meaning" writing
Jeannie
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

This is a gentle lullaby story to be shared with the young and old. The pictures are poetic as well.
Blaine Gerdes
This is a cute book for young beginner readers or toddlers. The illustrations are adorable and help the reader to see how much the little girl in the books parents love her. The book is about a little girl who's parents sang her existence and the love they have for her. It is also about how the family believes that their singing blessed them with their baby and how she sings back to them. I would definitly read this again, I think it's a great book to read to little ones.
Literary Soirée
Popular storyteller Richard Van Camp and award-winning illustrator Julie Flett team up a second time in this lovely, lyrical book on the wonder parents feel with a new baby. Beautiful illustrations and poetic text make this a highly recommended read.

#KaKîwehNikamôstamâtinân #NetGalley
Amy Nicole
A sweet little story to welcome a baby home. It would be a very sweet gift for a new family. I also love that this book and others are being published with bilingual text.
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A tender, lovely board book. The illustrations were warm, and the text was heartwarming and sincere, not at all treacly.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
Sweet and soft, but not anything as promising as the cover art.
Audrey's Picture Books
It's a beautiful book, beautifully illustrated. I question its kid appeal.
Nancy Messina
Aug 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I just didn't like the rhymes, and the pictures seemed a little creepy to me.
Pam
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Story told about parents waiting for and celebrating the birth and life of their child.
Heather Jo
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: lily-list
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
A Dogrib (Tlicho) Dene from Fort Smith, NWT, Richard Van Camp is an internationally renowned storyteller and best-selling author. He is the author of the novel, The Lesser Blessed, a collection of short stories, Angel Wing Splash Pattern, and two children’s books with Cree artist, George Littlechild. His new baby book: Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns is the official selection of the ...more