Start by marking “The Candidate (Newsmakers)” as Want to Read:
The Candidate (Newsmakers)

The Candidate (Newsmakers)

How far would a candidate go to become President of the United States?

Published October 18th 2016 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Candidate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candidate

Gary
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the follow up book in the 'Newsmakers' series by Lis Wiehl, the first one 'Newsmakers' I had previously read and enjoyed.
The book and series is a little different to the usual whodunit genre I normally read but comes as a pleasant change.
The series follows the life of successful News reporter Erica Sparks who in this book is covering the USA Presidential election. She decides to follow leading candidate Senator Mike Ortiz who seems dependent on his wife to an unnatural degree. The Senat
Hristina
Apr 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been staring at this for about ten minutes, and I don't know what to say. So I found a gif:

description

It's not a horrible book, it's okay. It's just... In a way it took back all the progress Erica made in book one, and that really pissed me off. I hope book three will be better.
Kara
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I have heard of this author and wanted to give the book a try. With the current politics going on, I was intrigued by this story and wanted to see if there was anything relevant to learn from it. However, MOST of this book is about investigative reporting, mind control, and conspiracy. It was disturbing and creepy. Even though the entire book is taken from Erica’s perspective (the reporter), there are a few scenes which feature Celeste and Lily’s scheming ways up close.

I also found most of the b
Judy Collins
A special thank you to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Lis Wiehl returns following The Newsmakers, (2014) with THE CANDIDATE, a continuation of her riveting series featuring an unstoppable heroine, Newscaster Erica Sparks, we met in Newmakers #1; Blonde, beautiful, driven and sharp. A mother. A haunted past. A daughter. A second chance.

A journalist who wants to be her best. Uncovering the truth, no matter where it leads. To shine the light of fairness
Monnie
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Count me as one who's never been a fan of the political scene; I'd sooner pull my fingernails out one by one than watch more than a few minutes of a debate (never more true than in this election year). Still, the process is interesting to me if only because of my background in journalism and psychology, so the description of this book was too intriguing to pass up when I was offered the opportunity to read it in exchange for an honest review.

And my honest opinion is this: While the plot doesn't
Erika
Awful. This book was just awful. The ONLY reason I finished was because I got it from Netgalley and I wanted to be able to write a complete review, but I had to rethink that decision about a billion times because it felt like I was reading for an interminable amount of time. It never got any better.

I think I was partly a target audience for this book because I love politics and mystery and I don't know quite how it all went wrong.

The dialogue was so unrealistic to me, and I remember reading a s
BrotherSkip
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Could not get into this book. Too many chapters start like it's a summary not a novel (It's one week later....). I will read other novels by Ms. Wiehl, but this one was too far fetched for me.
Joni Dee
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I've been given the opportunity to read and review Lis Wiehl & Sebastian Stuart second Erica Sparks novel: "The Candidate".
As a lover of political thrillers, I must say that this novel disappointed me, I will explain why soon after the summary of the plot.

Sparks is a rising star in GNN, a fictional CNN like network, after apparently exposing a shocking plot related to Nylan Hastings GNN's tycoon owner, in the first book (I have not read the first book of the series so excuse me if this is a
Carol Boyer
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Candidate is a book that has you rushing through the pages, feeling the excitement of news reporter Erica Sparks as she covers the story of Mike Ortiz, leading polls and running for President of the United States and his rich and powerful wife Celeste.. There is more than enough suspense, and drive to keep Erica hot on this story that eerily feels like conspiracy and shocking events that happen to derail her leads.There is a mysterious Chinese woman, Lily who is Celeste's very close friend, ...more
Vera Godley
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it

My thoughts: This was an interesting read for me. I found the author's style a bit different from that which I am most accustomed but I soon became acclimated to it and from then on the story flowed quite well.

Being published by Thomas Nelson. a HarpeCollinns Christian Publishing imprint, I was surprised that there was virtually no element of Christianity. In fact the seductive thoughts of two of the female characters showing a creepy attraction to each other was a major put-off for me. There w
Cheryl
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you have never tried this author out, this is the perfect time. This book is book two of the Newsmakers series featuring Erica Sparks. Each book can be read as a stand alone novel. Yet, I can tell you now that this will not be the only book you will read from Ms. Wiehl. I am a big fan of Ms. Wiehl and her books. I can easily read them in one sitting. I have yet to find one I did not enjoy.

This new series is a good one. Erica Sparks' last name really fits her as she is a real "spark". She is
Rebecca
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
"There are five core steps to gaining control of someone's mind: isolation, sensory deprivation, fear, indoctrination, love."

In this political thriller, news anchor Erica Sparks finds herself fighting ratings, experiencing tragedy, and suspecting foul play at the highest level; all in a matter of hours.

Her producer sends Erica to the front row of the upcoming presidential elections by allowing her to interview opposing candidates in their home environment, thus niggling a suspicion that somethi
Kelly Bridgewater
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed Lis Wiehl's novels in the past. Her novels feature relatable characters, an unique mystery that is usually somewhat related to what is going on in the world today. With her newest release, The Candidate, Wiehl really jumps into the mind and playing field of the presidential campaign. The Candidate is a realistic view of what could go on behind the scences, but with a character that I have come to empathize with.

The writing is strong and concise. I had no problem following Erica,
Sharee
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Candidate by Lis Weihl and Sebastian Stuart is book two in the Newsmakers Series. The story was fast-paced and intriguing. I must admit, I wasn’t a huge fan of the first book in the series and was apprehensive about reading the second but it was very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The present tense writing is a little strange for me and at times, distracting, but I found the story to be compelling and interesting.
Erica Sparks is a brave woman unwilling to go down without a fight. Sh
Staci
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
In this second book of the Newsmakers Series, Erica continues to shine as a cable news host. In addition to her career achievements, she's also been awarded sole custody of her daughter Jenny. One of the things I enjoyed most about this novel was the growth between mother and daughter.

In book one, I was not a fan of the romance with Greg. I warmed up to him more in The Candidate.

The overall story line was both creepy and sadly plausible.

I look forward to the next in the series and recommend thi
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
How far would a candidate go to become President of the United States? In covering the presidential election campaign, star newsmaker Erica Sparks notices that favored candidate Senator Mike Ortiz seems dependent on his wife to an unnatural degree Celesta Ortiz is a brilliant and glamorous billionaire who, along with her best friend and confidant Lily Lau, has engineered her husband's meteoric rise. The White House is within their reach. But the more Erica investigates the Ortizes' strange relat ...more
Miriam Downey
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

The Candidate by Lis Wiehl makes the 2016 presidential campaign we are witnessing look tame—if such a thing is possible.

Erica Sparks, who rose to fame as a GNN news star in the thriller, The Newsmakers by Lis Wiehl, has become a well established, well regarded nightly news anchor on the GNN network. She also has custody of her young daughter, Jenny, for the first time since her divorce, and she is struggling to keep it all togeth
Kristi
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an entertaining read from Lis Wiehl. This book was a quick read for me and had me turning pages as fast as I could to find out what would happen next. Politics and the news combine perfectly for an edge of your seat, must-read book.

This book made me feel as if I was getting a behind the scenes look in the news world and in the political world. Erika Sparks is a character women can relate to. She is strong yet flawed. She takes her job seriously and wants to be at the top of her field.
Elizabeth
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read
The Candidate (Newsmakers #2) by Lis Wiehl
In covering the presidential election campaign, star newsmaker Erica Sparks notices that favored candidate Senator Mike Ortiz seems dependent on his wife to an unnatural degree. Celeste Ortiz is a brilliant and glamorous billionaire who—along with her best friend and confidant Lily Lau—has engineered her husband’s meteoric rise. The White House is within their reach. But the more Erica investigates the Ortizes’ strange relationship, the more intrigued she becomes.

Erica begins an investigation.
Paula
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
How far will a candidate go to become president? Erica Sparks—America’s top-rated cable-news host—is about to find out. But more than the nation’s future is at stake. Erica’s relentless search for the truth puts the life of her preteen daughter Jenny in danger, even as Erica’s own dark past threatens to overtake her. In her latest Newsmakers thriller, Fox News legal analyst Lis Wiehl weaves a taut and chilling story. The Candidate is packed with political intrigue and media manipulation as the l ...more
Donna
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A presidential election, an ambitious reporter, and a web of deceit and danger are all wrapped up in this new political thriller by Lis Wiehl. Mike Ortiz is running for president, but is he ready? His wife seems to be the beautiful, supporting wife, but is she? Erica is an ambitious reporter who thinks something is off about everything. Is she right and how will her investigative reporting affect her and her daughter?

Mike Ortiz spent nine months in prison, held by Al-Qaeda, suffering imaginable
Rachael
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it

The Candidate is the first book by Lis Wiehl that I've read. I really like her writing style. The main character was well written. I really liked her tenacity and stubbornness to get things done. The book moves at a really nice pace which can be rare for this genre. It felt a bit over the top at times, though.

The book does contain a few swear words and some adult material as well as some pretty detailed violent scenes. It also contains some strange relationships as well. A book definite
Donna
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Erica Sparks is the #1 rated TV host for GNN. To keep her ratings up, she has the idea to do an in-depth story on this year's presidential election. One of the candidates is killed right in front of Erica by a bomb in a scene very similar to the Boston bombings. This leaves only Mike Ortiz as the Democratic nominee. Ortiz comes across as a perfect candidate but Erica thinks something is off with his persona. Ortiz is married to a wealthy, beautiful woman, Celeste, who seems to control his every ...more
Debbie
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am reading this book behind closed doors in my bedroom and just thinking this could happen has every hair on my neck raised and I can't even begin to count the goose pimples. It's like every other chapter someone is being murdered. And the people doing it are nobodies. They are just coming out of the woodwork.

The presidential candidate is looking like a puppet and his wife is looking like she holds the strings.

Erica Sparks is going way out of her way to figure out what exactly is going on with
Carol
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Congratulations Ms. Wiehl you have another winner!!! What a fantastically courageous story in today's environment - how true this could be. Erica is a reporter who believes there is a story regarding the presidential candidate Mike Ortiz. Mike Ortiz is married to Celeste who was rich and powerful. Mike was captured by Al-Qaeda. He takes all his cues from his wife - and I do mean all his cues. The closer she gets to finding out all about his past and her past the closer she gets to death - and so ...more
Karen
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
So intense and entertaining. Scary to think this could be a taste of real-life. Enjoyed each page of this book, kept me engrossed throughout the entire thing. *I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.*
Christopher Pierznik
Sep 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was asked to review this book and I found it so unrealistic as to be laughable.
Gary Parkes
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Smart, fast-moving creative story with a good balance of personal and professional life. I will be reading more from this author and definitely recommend!
Jane
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, reporter, female-mc
unrealistic plot, over-the-top violence, tstl moments, snotty kid and nightmare mom. finally, this seems more likely a republican conspiracy than a democratic one. fast, foolish fun so plus one star.
Niles
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Candidate is a political thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat until the very last page. That in itself is a good enough reason to read this book, especially if that genre is one you enjoy. But I also could relate to the struggle between work and family so accurately portrayed in this book. As a father who had to travel 9 months a year to earn money for his family, I could definitely relate to the tough decisions the main character had to deal with. The feelings I got from rea ...more

• Not This Time (Crossroads Crisis Center, #3)
  • Blood and Bone (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #3)
  • The Guardian
  • The Brotherhood Conspiracy (The Jerusalem Prophecies, #2)
  • Threat of Darkness
  • Judas the Apostle
  • Lorie's Heart
  • The Scroll
  • The Widow of Saunders Creek
  • A Secret Colton Baby (The Coltons: Return to Wyoming #1)
  • Danger at the Border (Northern Border Patrol #1)
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • Patmos Deception
  • Silent Sentry
  • Nick of Time (Bug Man Series #6)
  • The Bones Will Speak (Gwen Marcey #2)
  • Montana Dreams
  • After the Snow Falls
Lis Wiehl is a New York Times bestselling author and
one of the nation’s most prominent trial lawyers and highly regarded commentators.  She is the author of 18 books, including Hunting Charles Manson: The Quest for Justice in the Days of Helter Skelter (Thomas Nelson, June 2018) and was a legal analyst and reporter for Fox News for fifteen years.

Lis is currently an anchor for the Law & Crime