Start by marking “Yassmin's Story” as Want to Read:
Yassmin's Story

Yassmin's Story

Including new chapters.

Frank, fearless, funny, articulate, and inspiring, Yassmin Abdel-Magied is a young Muslim dynamo offering a bracing breath of fresh air—and hope. At 21, Yassmin found herself working on a remote Australian oil and gas rig; she was the only woman and certainly the only Sudanese-Egyptian-Australian background Muslim woman. With her hijab quickly
Published March 1st 2016 by Penguin Random House

To ask other readers questions about Yassmin's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yassmin's Story

Start your review of Yassmin's Story
Trav
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVED this and listening to the audiobook was an enjoyable experience since Yassmin was also the narrator. She brings the story to life with her enthusiasm, sassiness and her endearing yet humorous personality. As a Sudanese born Australian Muslim, Yassmin is all about challenging stereotypes, the unconscious bias and gender defined roles. She promotes diversity, empathy and wants to change the world by empowering youth. Her memoir was articulate and utterly engaging, with a few ...more
Shaymaa Solh
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yassmin is such an inspiring and wise girl as it appears from her insights and reflections.
I highly recommend this book for every lady who wants to push her way through the society's limitations.
It resonated greatly with my mentality and my perspectives about women's roles.
This girl has done a lot of achievements by the time she was only 24 years old. From a courageous public speaker to a hard working engineer to a founder of Youth Without Boarders, she was able to break every gender, ethnic
Glaiza
I've read a few memoirs from the perspectives of migrants but this is the first time I've read an Australian non-fiction book, which reflects upon a child of a migrant's experience in Australia. It's an experience I can relate to:

There is a level of existential responsibility, debt even, which sits in the minds of migrant children that means sometimes our decisions are made, whether consciously or unconsciously, out of respect to our parents and the sacrifice they made. It is not something that
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Firstly, how can someone so young have achieved so much already, secondly, this was great! This was my first experience listening to an audiobook and I loved it. Being narrated by Yassmin herself gave the story a personal feel and helped me see her experiences on a whole other level. This was so interesting and I loved the way Yassmin addressed so many hard topics, such as gender stereotypes, in an honest open way. Would highly recommend.
Helen
Wow. Yassmin's CV of achievements reads like someone three times her age. This Sudanese-Egyptian-Australian Muslim was once obsessed with F1 and now works on an oil rig. Can you get any cooler than that? Yassmin is funny but wise yet happy to acknowledge her own mistakes and shortcomings. Her work to mobilise youth, women and Muslims is inspirational - I predict big things for her in the future.
DonutKnow
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults
It was a pretty great listen, especially since the author also did the narration for the audiobook. She made it as authentic as possible.

It makes me want to do as much as she has achieved, albeit it is incredibly terrifying.

Also, it was really great to learn more about the life of someone who practices Islam, is from a culturally diverse family and is a woman- more than a few marginalised groups, yet Yassmin Abdel-Magied owns it all the same. She owns it like a boss, which is really inspiring.

Maryam
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-voices-rep
Amazing book, I really related to most of the parts (notthepartswhereshe'sallsuccessfulandsmart:)) like growing up muslim in Australia. Really inspirational.
Emily Timms
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I first discovered Yassmin Abdel-Magied through her TED talk - "What does my headscarf mean to you?" were she talks about the subject of prejudice that can occur at first glance and the importance of re-correcting our first initial thought about a person or a situation. I later read about her life and work through an article in Peppermint magazine and decided that this woman is awesome, she's inspiring and I want to know more.

Yassmin's Story is a thought provoking read that will never allow you
Tamara
Yassmin is someone I look up to, so I was pretty excited to read this book, and I wasn't disappointed at all! She is such an inspiration and I could relate to the migrant child being "trapped" (in a sense) in two different cultures/worlds - especially having to be the good little daughter when the family's over!

My only complaint is that Yassmin makes me feel very unaccomplished, haha!
Carmel
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow! What an inspiration! Yassmin has achieved so much at only 24. I look forward to Yassmin's story #2. Wish the memoir had a better title. The book was impressive but the title is a bit boring.
Susannah
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational, thought-provoking & a truly amazing young woman who is transforming Australia.
Ellen
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Yassmin's story is considered and articulate, to the point where I craved more emotional resonance to balance the brainpower.
K.
Trigger warnings: death of a grandparent, misogyny, Islamophobia.

I read Yassmin's fiction debut, You Must Be Layla, last year and while I liked it, the writing style wasn't for me. So I was sliiiiiightly hesitant going into this one that it would have the same style. Thankfully, this was like listening to Yassmin tell a series of stories and I was hooked from start to finish.

She's as charismatic on the page here as she is on screen and I'm really glad I picked this up. She's got an incredibly
Sadie
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
An inspirational, frank, funny, passionate memoir. By now, we are all accustomed to witnessing commentary in the public sphere on the topic of Islam; yet, due to whitewashed media and publishing, very rarely do we encounter unfiltered authentic stories of Muslim immigrants experiences. This memoir is an invigorating step-forward. A fantastic balance between sharing stories of her challenges and also what she hopes to do to to mitigate these challenges for future generations. Hopefully, the book ...more
Catherine
It was my love of reading that helped label me with the flattering title of 'nerd', and it has been a permanent and prominent facet of my life ever since the night my father introduced me to Enid Blyton.

Yassmin Abdel-Magied is one of those people my employment in schools has provided me with the opportunity to meet. She gave a presentation in the school library I was then employed in. I have never seen a speaker captivate a room full of teenage girls as fully and as easily as she did. These

Janelle Dazzlepants
Yassmin's Story is a fascinating insight into the life of one of Australia's young leaders and progressive thinkers: Yassmin Abdel-Magied. The book chronicles her birth in Sudan, migration to Australia, schooling in Southeast Asia, university studies, and current position breaking down gender roles as a mechanical engineer on an oil rig in Australia.

Abdel-Magied leads a feminist dialogue about life as a migrant Muslim woman working in a male-dominated industry in Australia, weaving lessons on
Kelly (purplebookstand)
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yaasmin's Story

At only 24, Yaasmin has experienced more than people twice as old as her. This is an inspirational story of a young Muslim woman who lets absolutely NOTHING get in her way when it comes to achieving her goals. Follow Yaasmin as she breaks down barriers and achieves amazing things! A thoroughly enjoyable 4*.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Abrar 입랄 (Ab2y)
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Life is hard when you are a Muslim Sudanese Woman... Wait what? Who am I? where am I?

This whole book can be titled (Tuesday) in my house as a Sudanese woman without the privileged of being raised in Australia.

Sudanese Muslim Woman born and raised in Sudan and still kicking in the SD (should write a book about that lol) that will be fun for sure we need some "black comedy" pun intended.

No hate but meh.
I. Reid
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book that provides a lot of insight into living in Australia as a minority. It's just a shame that there are so many one-star reviews from a class of year-9 kids who are currently reading it for class and having to write an essay on it, so are taking out their frustrations on the book, which is sad and unfair. But I do recommend this book.
Marieclaire
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A perspective that I’m not familiar with as I actually don’t know any Muslim people so I found it really interesting. It was well written and read by the author. I feel like I have a better understanding of Muslim beliefs and Sudanese culture.
SteffyJay (Little Booky Nook)
I loved this book!! This book was given to me by a friend (she got it signed for me which was lovely), and because I had a thousand books to read I have only just gotten around to reading Yassmin's Story. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and really feel like I have come away with more knowledge about Yassmin as a person, as well as where she comes from and her faith. Her faith really shines throughout the whole book, which I absolutely love. I have written down some of the things she talks about ...more
Cynthia Coghill
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Fearless, funny, articulate and inspiring, Yassmin Abdel-Magied is a young Muslim dynamo offering a bracing breath of fresh air - and hope." This quote offers a wonderful insight into this amazing young lady. I was captivated by each chapter. Yassmin's honesty and indefatigable energy came through time and time again as she chartered each stage of her life and studies to get to where she is today. A lot could be learnt by having this on schools reading list. The invitation is there to talk to ...more
Matthew
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
For anyone who understands playschool references, this book is the much needed "Perspective window" that should sit alongside the square, circle, and other less orthodox window shapes. The story she tells compellingly and humorously illustrates a truly inspiring world view, and gently but firmly proves what women, migrants and religious minorities are capable of.
Perhaps if windows like these were more common in Australia, we wouldn't have Senator [name has been redacted] and others as our
Lia
There was a lot I liked about this book. Yassmin is a forthright and charismatic person. I feel her writing did not do this justice. I felt the book did not bring the nuances of her personality as seen in her television and Ted talk exposure. I felt the book at times sounded bragging whereas in person she is much more engaging. I think this is a result of editing not of the writer.
That said I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Such an inspiration for women in STEM careers, young Muslim women and for
Chava
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I've seen Yassmin's TED talk and loved it. This book is a bit of the same, just much much longer. It talks of her upbringing, her values, her strong Islamic faith and her strong standing as a proud, Muslim, Australian-Sudanese woman who at only mid 20s is already very inspiring. I think the book could have done with a good edit chop (ie, made much shorter), but enjoyable nonetheless. A 3 star rating from me due to its length and some political views which I felt were sneakily woven into the book ...more
Shirley Bateman
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A refreshing and enlightening take on the migrant experience from the perspective of a dynamic, young Muslim woman. The audiobook, read by Yassmin in her sparky, sassy style is very engaging.
Yassmin has received a lot of flack recently in the media but we shouldn't lose sight of her incredible achievements and the true inspiration she has given to the migrant community and, in particular, other young Muslim women.
Kate
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book about what we can achieve and accomplish when we see things as obstacles and not barriers. She has achieved so much at such a young age, a book that can definitely challenge and change stereotypes. Unfortunately, some who hold the stereotypes may be the least likely to read the book.
Claire O'Brien
I really enjoyed this autobiography from a refreshing young voice and she gave a real insight into many different experiences I've never had and I loved seeing the world from her point of view, which is generally a very positive one.
Kate (Lillytales)
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I find myself falling into a rut with the books I choose to read. I often go for books I feel comfortable with and know I’m going to love where the characters & stories within the books are all too familiar to me. This is fine every now and then, but this year I’m making a conscious effort to seek out stories which showcase diverse voices and different perspectives of the world.

While browsing the bookshelves at Readings bookshop, Yassmin’s colourful clothing and beaming smile on
Claire
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
This memoir charts Yassmin Abdel-Magied's experience growing up as an Arab-African Muslim in post 9/11 Australia, her achievements as a community activist and her fledgeling career as a drilling engineer working on oil and gas rigs. Firstly I'd like to say that it was a privilege to read this book and to be invited inside Yassmin's world. Yassmin and I were born a year apart and we both studied at the University of Queensland at the same time, so it was fascinating for me to read about an ...more

• Boys Will Be Boys: Power, Patriarchy and the Toxic Bonds of Mateship
  • 488 Rules for Life
  • Able: Gold Medals, Grand Slams and Smashing Glass Ceilings
  • The Things She's Seen
  • The Hate Race
  • Get the Girls Out
  • One Hundred Years of Dirt
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • Dark Emu
  • The Erratics
  • Reckoning: A Memoir
  • The Land Before Avocado
  • Voyageurs
  • The Cassidy Brothers: A Contemporary Reverse Harem Romance (A Quick & Dirty Novel Book 4)
  • The ABC's of LGBT+