Start by marking “Broken” as Want to Read:
Broken

Broken

When Theodore Davenport decides to switch his mundane job for a career, he walks into Holden House Publishing with enthusiasm and determination to succeed. As he settles into his new role, makes new friends, and dreams of making it to the top, everything is going to plan.

Until he meets James Holden, CEO of Holden House.

James Holden hasn’t been able to stop thinking about
Published February 29th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Broken, please sign up.
Heike
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Broken
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★

! Broken (stand-alone). Don’t judge a boss by his cover. From one night stand to forbidden office romance until painful secrets threatens everything!

“So tight,” he whispers, his chest pressed to my back as he nuzzles my neck. “Has anyone been here since me?”

Broken (stand-alone) starts off toe-curlingly sexy with a kinky one night stand in a bar bathroom. Come Monday junior marketing employee Theodore Davenport, Theo is shocked to discover the man who fucked him senseless is his new boss.

Judith
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judith by: I~❤️~Books
***5Stars***

"I'm too much.Too broken.Life is better alone.I like it that way".

This book had me hooked from the very beginning,such an emotional story.I actually didn't read the blurb but saw a friend's review whose opinion I really value(thanks Wendy) and a recommendation from another friend who totally gets me( thanks Ralu) and it was a must read and it certainly didn't disappoint.

Theo is in his twenties and is definitely not one for one night stands.That is until one night he is
✦❋Arianna✦❋
4 Stars!!

description

‘Broken’ was emotional, at times intense and surprisingly not as heavy as I expected to be. Nicola Haken delivered a well written story that deals with tough subjects like mental illness, suicide attempts and depression. Now, to be honest I was a little reluctant to read this one. Not only because I’ve never read this author before, but also because I know not every author can handle very well this subject matter. I’m glad to say Mrs. Haken handled everything in a very caring,
Jan

Broken is a story that hit very close to home for me.
Therefore, it would be easier to rate this book and deal with my misery in a quiet way, but for a strange reason I feel compelled to spill my guts and trample on my feelings a bit more while I write this. Don’t expect a review. It will be Online Therapy and I won’t blame you if you stop reading this right now.
A long time ago I had a very dear friend as troubled as one of the characters here.

Same as Theo, I had no idea how to help my friend
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4 Stars!

I almost didn't read this one. Definitely make note of the warning.

***Please note*** This book contains scenes of self harm, mental illness and suicidal ideation which may pose as a trigger, or be uncomfortable for some readers.

I don't usually care for the heavier reads. But something made me pick this one up (probably the cover). I thought I would try a chapter and see how I felt...and it pretty much sucked me in right away.

And oddly enough, despite the heavy subject
⊱ Poppy ⊰
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every m/m genre lover!
“Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.”

Broken is one of those books who got me hooked by it's very very FIRSTY line. I have never started a book with that much of a heavy heart. The preface breaked my heart and all i was praying that please GOD don't let anything happen like this! This was my first book of this author and I must say she done a great job convincing me to try her books. This book breaked me, made me angry, made me see some things in such a light and changed my behaviour
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

Broken crayons can still colour.

My cup runneth over with the honest emotion and unfiltered beauty that is this book!

First off, I want to reiterate the author's note regarding possible triggers in this book. Heed the warning if you think the triggers may apply to you. However, if you're skeptical about this book because you think it's going to be dark and heavy...please know that it's not and don't let that deter you from reading it. Is it emotional? Yes. Is it heavy? I don't
Sabrina
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh well, I’m fucked. I have to take a break to handle my feelings.

I just loved everything about this book.

This book is utterly heartbreaking and mesmerizing.
The rep was incredible. The characters, the romance, the story and what they represent? God, this women can write.

I honestly can’t write a proper review because I can’t imagine describing this book. Just know that when you read it, it will break and mend your heart and it will give you hope.

The two novels of her’s that I have read are the
Jewel
"Broken crayons can still colour."

Heartbreaking. Broken made me cry, I won't lie, but it left me feeling hopeful. There is no cure for the mental illness that James lives with and it is something that he will always live with and hopefully always fight. Until Theodore, he didn't have much reason to, or much hope of succeeding.

James Holden is the CEO of Holden House. The company has been in his family for ages and when his father passed away a few months ago, the company was left in James'
Wendy
 photo 11916978_zpsi1ueesky.gif

OMG...this book did a number on me. Though this was not an easy read...it was a very beautiful one ;)

I do want to point out the warning in this book, because there are some serious triggers and this book doesn't pull any punches. I'm not going to spoiler it too much...just saying.

Theodore is a very happy out and proud gay man. He has good friends, a nice family and he has recently start working a new job at a big publishing house. Which for Theodore is awesome, because he loves books and is
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is our story. It's not supposed to end here.

I don't know what to say that hasn't been said in the many, many glowing reviews, except that this book deserves all the stars and more. Haken tackles the difficult topic of mental illness with sensitivity and grace.

Broken is sexy, romantic, and nuanced. This isn't a simple story; it's complex and heartbreaking, but it left me feeling hopeful.

James may be broken, but, as his therapist tells him, broken crayons can still colour.

"We'll take

Confusion.
Doubt.
Anger.
Fear.
Heartbreak feels like your entire world is crumbling above your head, and all you can do is sit back and wait for it to crush you."

Wow! IT.WAS.FANTASTIC! It was sooooooo good! I really really enjoyed it and I loved it! Wow!

Moony Eliver
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Moony by: Hayley
Shelves: m-m, lgbtqia, 2018
This book will forever mean a whole lot to me. I knew I was wading into hard territory here. I KNEW THAT. And yet how could I know, really?

Some of you have seen how much shade I throw when a book doesn’t portray psychological issues well. But then I come across something like Broken, that deals with mental health struggles so vividly and realistically it wrecks me, and of course... I run out of my words.

At one point as I was reading, my husband looked over at me, and I guess I must have had a
Shile

I’m broken, Theodore. I always have. I always will be.

The darkness still looms over my head, threatening to rain down on me.

description

This book was beautifully written and broke my little heart. The first 40% was all about laughter, and David Gandy.

description

Then James decided to open up to Theo and my heart broke.

description

Theo and James were perfect for each other . I wanted to hold James so tightly and tell him everything was going to be alright. Theo oh! i loved him, he was the anchor, he was loving, supportive and
Jaime
5+ Stars ~ Blew me away!!!!

This was an amazing book! When I started the book I was like.. "Wow! What have I got myself into.. " and that was before I even got to chapter one! All I can say is hang on cause this book is going to blow. You. Away. Nicola Haken is a great writer, she brings depth and emotion to her characters, making them multidimensional and allowing them to come alive in the readers mind! The MC in this book are Theodore and James. James is CEO of Holden Publishing house, he is a
Jaela
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"...broken crayons can still colour."

Oh, James! What have you done to me? I feel so emotionally drained to write all what I'm feeling about this book.

Despite reading the blurb and some reviews, I thought that the beginning of the book was a bit ordinary. Two gay boys (men), meeting each other in very "interesting" circumstances, lusting after each other and then learning that they have to work together. Nothing special until that point.

When James and Theodore start to learn things and get to
Ele
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5 stars**

A couple of things you need to know before picking up this book:

-If suicidal ideation, suicide attempt or scenes of self harm pose as triggers for you, this may not be a book you want to read.

-This is a very, very long book. Like 8667 kindle locations long.

-The story focuses on mental illness, depression and (view spoiler).

Congrats to the author for not glossing over the details of mental illness, for using it respectfully, and not as a tool to
*TANYA*
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
Gut wrenching!!

It started off very, typical cliché insta attraction, I was not impressed to say the least. I was just about to give up on it. As the story unraveled it grew on me, I got all the feels with this book. The second half makes up for the rough start. Kudos to the author for writing such a poignant story.
Dia
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dia by: I~❤️~Books
5 brokenhearted stars

Image result for broken hearted

I have to thank a million times to ***Ralu*** who recommended me this wonderful, wonderful book. I feel I can't thank her enough!!!!
So, RALU you are the best!!!

Broken was one of the most heartbreaking stories I have ever read, but in the same time it was so REAL and so powerful! I loved it!!!

I absolutely enjoyed the beginning, their encounter, their first time! <3 And second, and third :))) well all of them to be honest!

I read this book last night in just one
Claude
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ohhhh James, James, James...that guy makes me feel so much things.
When some people fight to survive, he fights to just live, just breathe EVERYDAY.
I've so much respect for what he IS. When I heard about the story of his life, i was really heartbroken. Because we all lived through difficult times...I saw myself many times in him (my mother is likely similar to his, she just can't understand why someone could do that kind of thing to his family).
There are so many moments in my life when I feel
chan ☆
all the angst of twilight but with mental illness instead of vampires

description

that was potentially the worst possible endorsement I could give this incredible book, but seriously if you read it you'll understand the comparisons. this book followed Theodore & James; Theodore is a self published author who starts working in a publishing house after a string of unsuccessful/unfun prior jobs & Theodore is the CEO of said publishing house (realizing now this kind of also sounds like 50 shades whoops).
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every M/M genre lover! <3
Recommended to Hulya by: Merve Well
“Broken crayons can still colour.”

OMG I FLOVED this book and it's one of my favorites now. :)

First of all I have to say if you're okay to read M/M genre, I highly recommend this book to you... <3

You'll laugh, you'll cry but the most important thing you'll feel James & Theo's love & pain in your heart. Their journey are not one of those easy ones or hearts & flowers type but I'm sure you'll love this book as much as I did! I really, really hope you'd give it a chance. <3

Ps.
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
“The pain is there. It never leaves. Sometimes it’s bearable, but it’s always there. It’s pecked away at my soul all my life and, finally, it’s won.”

I am blown away by this book. As I write this I think I’m in shock.. I just cannot believe how well Nicola Haken represented mental health. As a human who struggles with emotional regulation as well as having a history of self harm I felt like Nicola Haken saw me. While reading this there were times when my jaw literally dropped because it was like
~Volha~
Wonderful, maddening, intense, raw, emotional and unforgettable story! It comes with so many triggers and it's difficult to read at times but I welcomed the challenge.

Theo is man with a dream and passion for writing. He like everybody else wants love and happy ever after. In his books people are always happy in the end, he is romantic like that. But does that happened in real life? He has a new job with a nasty boss, he is single and lives with his best friend Tess, he is content. But what he
Bev
I can't leave much of a review for this amazing read without giving away spoilers. What I will say is that it was fantastic. I went from wanting to junk punch James in the beginning to crying for him to absolutely loving him so hard. That man wrecked me with what he was going through. Theo - I loved all the way through, he was utterly perfect for James.

This had all the feels, with the great bonus of it being a "British" book. Loved the UK slang and references, we don't get enough books that own
Diana
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Theodore Davenport is having a tough time forgetting about the hot stranger he had a bathroom “quickie” with while he was out clubbing with his friends. He NEVER does that, but for some reason, he cannot stop thinking about the stranger. It is not until Theo starts his new job and runs into the hot stranger again. Yea, it is his boss
James Holden is arrogant and obnoxious, and is used to getting what he wants. When he sees Theodore, he is unsettled for what he is feeling. He has never wanted to
Vanna
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vanna by: Dia
5 stars!! Loved it! . This was heartbreaking and yet hopeful in its intent. Chronic illness comes in various forms and managing it is all one can do.., one mis-step and the illness can become life-threatening. Chronic illness also brings with it a sense of shame, failure and guilt because something you cannot control becomes a burden on you and your loved ones. I know all of this first hand and so reading this book brought out all of that.. it was hard because so much of James's struggles, the ...more
Jeanne
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: *J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 stars!

This was really good, I would even say it's the best MM romance I've read, not that I'm an expert or anything! The story just had so much depth. I love books about depression and mental illness, but good ones aren't easy to come by, especially in romance. I won't even go there unless the book has been screened by a trusted friend, (thanks J!). I thought this was very believable, realistic, and well written. This was my first book by the author, so I'm looking forward to checking out
Ky
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Broken is the heartbreaking story of a man's struggle with himself.

It was frightening and at the same time eye-opening to be in James' head during his darkest hours. Theodore's love for him was strong and unquestionable. It was unconditional and always present.

The secondary characters were great additions to the plot and a necessary support system for the MCs. I liked both Theodore's and James' brothers a lot. They both helped as much as they could with what was happening and they genuinely
Meags
5 Stars

In Broken, Haken has created an extremely powerful and deeply affecting read. This story delves into some pretty heavy themes which readers should be aware of before venturing forward, including, but not limited to, themes of mental illness, self-harm and suicide. It’s by no means an easy breezy M/M romance, so if that’s what you’re looking for, keep on looking.

I spent a good portion of this story upset and, frequently, crying. Call me odd, but I often find that my favourite stories are
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. British romance, bipolar, "Black" 2015-17. [s] 4 20 Nov 06, 2017 03:07PM
The Challenge Fac...: Krissy, Mika & Ezi - Broken 20 21 May 11, 2016 05:29AM

• Dare to Hope (All Cocks #4)
  • Incantevole e proibito
  • Back Where He Belongs
  • Pervertito (THE TROUBLED TEEN SERIES Vol. 4)
  • Hardcore (Bleeding Mayhem MC #1)
  • Tabula Rasa
  • Jesse's Smile
  • Stranded
  • Soli contro il mondo (The Pack Vol. 1)
  • Dimmi ancora buonanotte (Wildfire Vol. 3)
  • Don't Fight the Spark (Soldiers and Mercenaries #1)
  • Clay: A Leaving Marks and Undercover Series Crossover Book
  • Renewing the Soul (Souls of Chicago, #4)
  • Âme-Stram-Gram
  • Rule Breaker (Mixed Messages, #1)
  • Unearthed (The Dungeon Black Duology, #1)
  • Te quiero
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
Romance Author.

I live in not-so-sunny Rochdale, England (true northern girl!) with my five kids - one of whom many refer to as my husband. I write about life, and love, and all the beauty and angst that come with them.

All in all I'm just an ordinary gal with an addiction to reading, tattoos, and Pepsi Max. I don't like even numbers or metal spoons, and I'm allergic to exercise.

Please note: I