Start by marking “All Things Made New: The Reformation and Its Legacy” as Want to Read:
All Things Made New: The Reformation and Its Legacy

All Things Made New: The Reformation and Its Legacy

The most profound characteristic of Western Europe in the Middle Ages was its cultural and religious unity, a unity secured by a common alignment with the Pope in Rome, and a common language - Latin - for worship and scholarship. The Reformation shattered that unity, and the consequences are still with us today. In All Things Made New, Diarmaid MacCulloch, author of the Ne ...more
Published September 1st 2016 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about All Things Made New, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Things Made New

Start your review of All Things Made New: The Reformation and Its Legacy
Clif Hostetler
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
This book is a collection of twenty-two essays on various aspects of the Reformation taken from a quarter century of the author's work. All these essays have been previously published in various journals and publications; some of them are book reviews and some are freestanding studies of particular topics. The author has previously written Reformation: Europe's House Divided 1490–1700 (2003) which serves as his definitive take on the subject. This book is more of series of spotlights on miscella ...more
Rachel
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, theology
For a busy reader with some (but not very much) prior knowledge of the Reformation this book was a delight. It is a collection of essays, book reviews etc which allows the reader to come refreshed to each new item and makes it easy to pick up and put down without losing the thread, particularly useful if life intervenes. As a non-historian I found the sections which cover the various perspectives and 'slants' put on people and events through subsequent history very interesting. MacCulloch's styl ...more
Joe
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A stimulating collection of essays—not all “fit” perfectly together in a single volume, but those that focus on the English Reformation certainly hang together nicely. MacCulloch is known for reminding us that England really did have a Reformation and that there was really a Reformed church under Edward (obviously) and Elizabeth (still obvious, but not quite as much). No 19th via media distortions here. Nevertheless, another theme emerges slowly but significantly throughout these essays: the pre ...more
Johanne
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of essays on various aspects of the (English) Reformation and all these essays have been previously published in as book reviews or essay on specific aspects. MacCulloch as a gay, ordained C of E Deacon and Professor of the History of the Church at Oxford has lots to say on the Reformation - (see his big, fat but fascinating book "Reformation: Europe's House Divided"). The articles are scholarly but accessible and leavened with a dry wit.
Barbara James
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MacCulloch is an Anglican deacon and scholar with an expertise in church history.

In honor of Reformation Day (October 31), I began reading the book. I imagined I'd finish by the end of the month, but I was surprised I was done on November 12.

It's an accessible read, insofar as I was able to read a chapter per day. But in other ways, it's not as accessible to the reader who isn't as familiar with the debates within Reformation church history.

He's writing for the reader who has a strong foundation
Jason Wilson
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Both for beginners, this follows on from Machullochs reformation history to offer sidelights, home in on points and analyse more obscure figures and points - it's interesting but a bit of a jumble and feels unfocused . Also, the author seems to place the legacy of the Reformation squarely within Anglicanism and the. Counter reformed Catholicism . Other denominations don't get a look in . The essay format gives room for a more opinionated look - while I prefer facts , he is witty and telling at t ...more
Avril
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Fascinating collection of pieces. And on the second-last page, this gem: ”Journalists love to write about the crisis of Anglicanism over women and gays, for it makes a great headline. ‘NOT ALL THAT MANY GO OVER TO ROME’ or ‘EVANGELICALS END UP NOT MAKING QUITE SUCH A FUSS AS THEY HAD PLANNED’ don’t pack a punch in big type.” Love it!
Yeongbae Kim
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author is one of my favorites. I enjoyed reading his books about the Reformation and the history of Christianity.

I looked forward to learning more about the Reformation(s). This is why I bought the book. Overall, the writing and the topics presented were mediocre. I kept reading in the hope that something interesting would come.

I do not recommend the book.
Elisabeth Marksteiner
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A collection of essays, reviews, all thoughful and written in Dairmuid MacCulloch’s wonderfully accessible though undoubtedly comprehensively learned style. No dry historiography, but absolutely fascinating. Marvellous.
Steve
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
a bit niche - some good early stuff on the reformation, especially as it happened in England. But it gets a bit bogged down in essays about Hooker and those who came after. It has some sharp insights, but maybe more a book to selectively dip into than read cover to cover.
Sixo Cooper
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Foundational reformation history reading!
Luke
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I don't know what is the bigger surprise. That it was published or that somehow I got a copy of it.
Br. Thanasi (Thomas) Stama
If ever there is a book (other than Holy Scripture) Episcopalians and others in the Anglican Communion should read it is this one!
Andrea Engle
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2020
An eclectic collection of essays concerning the Protestant Reformation (mainly the English version of it) and its impact on all subsequent history ... illuminating ...
Scott
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rewarding read

If at times a little tedious, the book never failed to be rewarding with insight and wit. If you have enjoyed MacCulloch's writing you will enjoy these essays.
Martinus Eleets
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful, sumptuous and engaging collection of essays. An excellent bibliography with great footnotes. A must read for any student of Reformation studies.
T B
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I gave up on this book after 25 pages. He mixes his opinions into the text of history and I started arguing with the opinions so I gave up.
Michael Macdonald
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
hard going at times, McVulloch explores the naure of Anglicanism. He shows how a diverse, reltively non-dogmatic religion arose in England that is flexible and adapys to change. Inspiring
Toby
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-history
It is 20 years since MacCulloch's ground-breaking biography of Thomas Cranmer and he has not been idle since, with significant, not to see massive, books on the Reformation and the history of Christianity. A selection of his writings and reviews on all things Reformation therefore seems timely, if not overdue.

This is, for the most part, an excellent volume which combines scholarship, humility and a good deal of wit. The first two parts are thoroughly entertaining and enlightening. I knew nothing
Timothy  Hoff
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diarmaid MacCulloch Revisited

Published September 2016, this is a collection of essays and reviews that have been published separately. Here is MacCulloch at his best: erudition softened by wit and an appreciation of the theological enterprise as necessary, yet always inadequate, frequently corrupt, and sometimes deadly.
David Potter
Heavy scholarship

Yet again the cover blurb misled me. This is a book of scholarship about aspects of the Reformation intended for other scholars of that important period in our history. And like most such books, to those who are merely interested in the topic in question, it is 'heavy lifting' to read, dull even.
Barnaby
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing, involving and accessible. MacCulloch writes in such an engaging way he makes his subject come alive with passion and fascinating detail.
Adam
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of essays on the Reformation, with a primary focus on England. They vary widely in length, focus, and tone. I found it fascinating to see what a top-notch historian thinks of the debates that shaped and continue to shape our prayer and worship.
Riet
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Een collectie essays over de Reformatie en dan vooral over die in Engeland. Bijzonder boeiend en het blijkt toch allemaal niet zo simple te zijn als wij het in de geschiedenisles leerden.

Josiah

This copy received and reviewed for free courtesy of Goodreads Firstreads!
Eightwood
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating anecdotes. (by BBC Book of the Week)
Emma
Nov 12, 2018
Nick Spencer
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
DM on as good form as ever, though the last 1/3 of the book is rather for specialists and did drag a bit
Robert
Oct 17, 2020
Kara
Jul 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Duchess in His Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #4)
  • Beyond Scandal and Desire (Sins for All Seasons, #1)
  • The Scoundrel in Her Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #3)
  • Here for You (Family Is Forever, #2)
  • Bullshit Jobs: A Theory
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)
  • Osman's Dream: The History of the Ottoman Empire
  • チェンソーマン 1 (Chainsaw Man, #1)
  • Japan in War and Peace: Selected Essays
  • The Vanquished: Why the First World War Failed to End
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 01
  • Tokyo Tarareba Girls Returns

News & Interviews

“Lucas de Heere’s painting from the 1570s, now at Sudeley Castle, its subject precisely Henry VIII’s family (see Plate 4). It is a portrait with no sense of chronology. The old king sits in full vigour on his throne, handing over his sword to an Edward who is well into his teens. On the king’s right hand is his elder daughter Mary, with the husband who by the 1570s was something of an embarrassing national memory, Philip II of Spain. While Philip and Mary are depicted with perfect fairness, and in what might be considered the position of honour, they yield in size and in body language to the star of the picture, Queen Elizabeth I, who upstages everyone else. The only figure as big as her is the lady whom she appears to be introducing to the gratified company, the personification of Peace. The message is clear: after all the upsets caused by her jovial but terrifying parent and her unsatisfactory siblings, Elizabeth is complacently pointing (literally) to her own achievement, a nation united in harmony.” 1 likes
“Alongside this was the king who remained a conservative to his dying day. He never accepted the central Protestant doctrine of justification by faith, despite all Cranmer’s efforts to persuade him, especially in the revision of the Bishops’ Book; so he had lost his hold on purgatory while not finding his way to a coherent replacement doctrine on salvation.49 To see this is to make some sense at last of the apparently baffling twists of policy and inconsistencies in the king: he was caught between his lack of full belief in two mutually opposed ways of seeing the road to salvation. What did he have instead? A ragbag of emotional preferences. He cherished his beautiful personal rosary, which still exists; he maintained the mass in all its ancient Latin splendour and he left instructions in his will for a generous supply of requiems, in line with his new rationale for them in the King’s Book.” 1 likes