Start by marking “Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, March/April 2016 (The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, #724)” as Want to Read:

CONTENT:

Short Stories
"Belief" by Nancy Kress
"Nanabojou and the Race Question" by Justin Barbeau
"Diamond" by Chris DeVito
"The Silver Strands of Alpha Crucis-D" by N.
Kindle Edition
Published February 28th 2016 by Spilogale, Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, March/April 2016

Kenny V
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-fiction
"A Mother’s Arms" by Sarina Dorie deserves a nomination.
Deborah Replogle
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved the novellette A Mother's Arms by Sarina Dorie and Golden Gate Blues by Janes L. Cambias. Also, take a look at the novella by John P. Murphy - The Liar.

As always I turned to Charles de Lint's Books to Look for (Thank Gaia for this column) and Kathi Maio's movie review that this time covers: The Potato Farmer who worked the Problem. Guess who?

This magazine never fails me. It's the one that when it arrives in the mailbox, I actually feel glee.
Meran
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
review later
Beau
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of the stories were average to good, A Mother's Arms by Sarina Dorie was fantastic. I think it's worth going out of your way to read.
G33z3r
"The Liar" by John B Murphy is an almost Stephen King-like ghost story thriller, narrated in a folksy manner by a rural country New Englander. There seems to be some sort of malevolent curse afflicting the town, though only a few people have noticed. I found it really engaging, despite it not being the kind of borderline horror story I usually go for. ****

Cat Rambo's "Red in Tooth and Cog" has the interesting idea that in the future, feral smart appliances, discarded, self-repairing and AI-drive
John Loyd
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fsf
March/April 2016 Fantasy and Science Fiction

7 • The Ghost Penny Post • 33 pages by Marc Laidlaw
Good/Fair. Hewell, a postal inspector from London, makes a trip to Binderwood to investigate some irregularities in the mail. He finds an overlapping mail service.

40 • Red In Tooth and Cog • 20 pages by Cat Rambo
Good+. Old appliances have taken refuge in a nearby park. One steals Renee's phone. She's not too worried about the phone, but the case was decorated with a pair of opals that she really regr
Josée Lepire
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Mes nouvelles préférées de ce numéro:
"Red in Tooth and Cog" de Cat Rambo: une nouvelle qui débute de façon très banale, mais dont l'aspect science-fictionnel est ancré dans le quotidien, ce qui donne une force au propos.

"A Mother's Arms", de Sarina Dorie: une belle adoption d'un point de vue extra-terrestre, avec des éléments caractéristiques à la fois cohérents et ancrés dans les émotions. Une belle réussite, une auteure que je compte suivre.

Pour les autres nouvelles:
"The ghost Penny Post" est
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
"The Liar" by John P. Murphy - I enjoyed the small town New England setting and the set-in-his-ways bachelor main character. However, some of the character interactions felt off. I liked the lying knack, but thought its opposite wasn't really well integrated into the story. Finally, the mystery and its resolution didn't feel very satisfying to me.

"The Ghost Penny Post" by Marc Laidlaw - Set in Victorian England, a strange shadow realm discovered by a postal inspector is the means for the story
Mark
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Ghost Penny Post was an awesome take on a relatively new hobby.
Red In Tooth and Cog was my favorite of the issue, probably. A very interesting and well-developed premise. Also, whether real or imagined for a pen name, Cat Rambo is a cool nom de plume. I'd actually thought it was the name of a story originally, lol.
The Language of the Silent is one I would like to refer to my friend Oliver (if he reads this review) b/c it has to do with linguists.
A Mother's Arms was a fantastic! In fact, in r
Patrick Hurley
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
As always, some great stuff in here, and some that's merely average. Loved Sarina Dorie's "A Mother's Arm." A fantastic tale from a different POV--awesome stuff. And the author is a pretty cool lady!
Matthew
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Solid issue. Lead story "The Liar" by John P. Murphy was particularly strong. I also enjoyed "A Mother's Arms" by Sarina Dorie and "Golden Gate Blues" by James L. Cambias.
Stephanie
"The Liar," by John B. Murphy. 4 stars.
Jovan Trujillo
Jun 01, 2016
Sarah Beaudette
Apr 12, 2016
R
Surprisingly good creature-feature novella anchoring this issue, not my usual thing.
Adriel
Apr 26, 2016
Odo
Mar 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Editor: The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction (fandsf.com).

Author: The Prodigal Troll, the Traitor to the Crown Series, and Wild Things, and dozens of short stories.

Awards: nominated for the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer (2003), the Hugo Award (2003, 2009), the Locus Award for Best Magazine (2016), the Nebula Award (2003, 2009), the Sidewise Award (2003) Sturgeon Award (2009)