Start by marking “The Ballroom Class” as Want to Read:

The Ballroom Class

When three couples join a new ballroom class, they're all looking for some magic in their lives. Lauren and Chris are getting married, and Lauren's dreaming of a fairytale wedding with a first dance to make Cinderella proud. Not wanting to be shown up on the dancefloor, her parents Bridget and Frank have come along too. They normally never put a foot wrong, but Bridget's g ...more
Published October 16th 2008 by Hodder Paperback

To ask other readers questions about The Ballroom Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ballroom Class

Jay Walking by Tracy KrimmerMurder Strikes a Pose by Tracy WeberHead Over Heels by Rain MitchellThe Ballroom Class by Lucy DillonDirty Dancing by Gordon Volke
Fit in Fiction
21 books — 15 voters
Dancing with a Dead Horse by Danielle DeVorDance Demons by Juliet M. SampsonBilly Elliot by Melvin BurgessThe Spiral Dance by StarhawkThe Twelve Dancing Princesses by Marianna Mayer
Dancing
214 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Tânia
3,5*

This is an ordinary story about the daily life of 3 couples, but the writing is so engaging it makes you want to sit quietly and comfortably on the couch as if you were watching a British romantic comedy on the telly. The author has such a knack for detail and I love her subtle sense of humor. I actually laughed out loud at the scene where Lauren teaches her mother how to sell stuff on eBay while there was a distinct acrid smell of something burning wafting through the house.

I also loved t
Elizabeth Emily Browne
Tracey
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction, love
Very enjoyable read - perfect for a afternoon sunbathing at home with a drink
Or two!
Georgiana 1792
Non è facile scrivere di ballo, lo so per esperienza. Si rischia di essere o troppo tecnici – ammesso che se ne abbia una conoscenza ad un livello non superficiale – diventando noiosi anche per i pochi adepti, o di essere troppo banali, liquidando con le tre o quattro parole convenzionali ciò che non può essere descritto.
Perché le emozioni e le sensazioni che ogni cellula del nostro corpo ed ogni atomo del nostro cervello provano mentre si danza, mentre utilizziamo muscoli che non sapevamo nean
Jan Lodge
Jul 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Had read several of Lucy Dilons books and have really enjoyed them . This one I just couldn't get into or connect with . It's set around 3 couples taking ballroom dancing lessons. I think it was the characters that were lacking in this none did I feel sympathetic towards or really want to know more about . Overall disappointing
Penny
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I really enjoyed this book. It made me want to get my dance shoes on! Katie and Ross, Lauren and Chris and Bridget and Frank are 3 of the couples who sign up for the class in the local memorial hall. They all have their problems, but they get together on a Thursday night to try and learn to dance. Angelica Andrews an ex-champion dancer is their teacher and she can see more than you think! She has her own past and ghosts that need to be laid to rest, and it all comes together in one really enjoya ...more
Boktok73
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Tango för vilsna själar
Lucy
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I do love how Lucy Dillon is able to create her characters into wonderful real time people, with realistic problems. I found this book hard to get into first time around, as I couldnt have a care for dancing. I loved some couples more than others naturally.

I really hated the ending.. obviously Katie and Ross did okay in the end. But Peggy and Baxter had to keep their secret and watch from the sidelines. Jo obviously got a way from her controlling husband and Angelica got her hunk back but Laure
Pippa
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes it did take me a while to get involved in the characters but, having discovered it was her first book, I reevaluated my impressions. I feel that the early part of the book was too focused on Lauren's wedding, whilst it was important to understand the extent of her obsession with her "big day" I felt that the point was over-worked, but as a first novel I happily forgive this.

I had already read three other books set in Longhampton (which can be read in any order) and enjoyed them greatly, had
Fefi
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amore-rosa
Ho iniziato a leggere questo libro perchè c'entra con il mondo del ballo da sala , di cui faccio parte da quasi 10 anni, e devo ammettere che mi sta piacendo molto (per ora sono quasi a metà), ma le sensazioni descritte quando le varie coppie fanno le lezioni di ballo sono molto vere, (le ho provate anche io). Inoltre chi ha scritto il libro è una vera intenditrice, perchè inserisce nomi di figure di ballo che esistono realmente. Vedremo come prosegue la storia...
Alla fine ho scoperto che chi ha
Jenny Berndtsson
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Jag gillar Lucy Dillon. Perfekt när jag vill få ett avbrott från alla deckare. Tango för vilsna själar är hennes första bok men eftersom alla är fristående spelar det ingen roll. Lucy Dillons böcker handlar ofta om förändring. Uppbrott. Död. Skilsmässa. Här får vi följa flera olika par med olika öden och olika problem. Mysig.
Michelle Belcher
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually love Lucy Dillon but this wasn’t one of her best. I really wanted to like this and it was ok but a bit of a chore if I’m honest. I developed an intense dislike for Katie one of the main characters and there wasn’t any other characters that I warmed to which probably didn’t help. An ok read but not one I’ll remember in a hurry.
Jen
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I finally got to read her first book, and I think I love it best of all of them. I was really sad to get to the end, and I wish there were just a few more pages, to neatly tie up everything, rather than leaving it to the reader's imagination. It's one of those stories you just hate to "close the book on".
Mary Geraghty
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting the dancing shoes ready

Books should take you in to the characters and the story. This book did exactly that, I loved the characters and felt I was in the hall dancing every step of the Argentine tango. Excellent 😊
Karen Horsley
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lucy Dillon is possibly my favourite modern chick-lit author and The Ballroom Class is another fantastic read.
Following the lives and relationships of a small group of budding ballroom dancers and their teacher, this novel is full to the brim in romance and happy endings.

A joy of escapism.
Lauren White
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book more than you would expect from a book which doesn’t appear to be very deep at a first glance. I had tears in my eyes on multiple occasions and really became stuck into the people’s stories. I think the ending could have been longer.
carol
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ballroom Class

Another fantastic read from Lucy Dillon. A wonderful easy read, fantastic characters and all set in the beautiful town of Longhampton. A town that weaves throughout all of Lucy's book I've read so far. A true pleasure to read.
Jane Hodgkinson
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it
A good storyline but I really felt Angelica's storyline was drawn out and not completed
Lena 3pa2
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sann Dillon anda men tappat lite fart i förhållande till de andra. Likväl värd att läsa .
Carina Larsson
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
Do people not communicate at all?
Clair Heward
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

Couldn't put this down. Loved the way it followed each couple and how they all linked together. It made you care about the characters.
Kirstie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again what a brilliant book by Lucy Dillon! Brilliantly written as always, and such a lovely plot.
Sandran
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tyvärr hade jag väldigt svårt att knyta an till karaktärerna. Boken kändes alldeles för långdragen och slutet kändes inte heller trovärdigt. Synd då jag gillar andra böcker av författaren.
Jackie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining..
Frances
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable story
Greg
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Chiclit fix after a few heavier history books. Enjoyable nonsense.
Lucy
Jan 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Just couldn't get into this. Reading shouldnt be a chore.
Sara Clifford-gray
This story is based around ballroom dancing and when I picked it I was full of optimism of a Strictly-esque type of story full of glitter balls and sequins.

Three couples join a new ballroom class, and they're all looking for some magic in their lives. Lauren and Chris are getting married, and Lauren dreams of having a fairytale wedding which gets her poor mum Bridget in trouble. Meanwhile Katie and Ross are looking for a quick-fix solution to their failing marriage even though neither is quite s
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Angelica loves to dance, so when she returns home to Longhampton, she decides she will teach a ballroom dancing class at the local dance hall. As a former World Class dancer, Angelica is sure she can turn the town’s residents into the next Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. But are her class up for the challenge? And are all they all dancing to the same tune, or entirely different ones?

Lauren and Chris, engaged to be married, are finding preparing for their wedding harder than they thought. Lauren
mrs Y L Steadman
Heart warming easy to read book

A lovely easy read book with a nice story that has a happy ever after feel. A cup of tea and a biscuit or two and you are all set
  • Santa Baby
  • It's a Vet's Life (Talyton St George, #4)
  • Seeing Stars
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • The Importance of Being Emma (Darcy & Friends #1)
  • Looking for Leon
  • Just A Family Affair (Honeycote, #3)
  • Summer School
  • Creature Comforts
  • Last Christmas
  • Beyond The Sunset (The Swan River Saga, #2)
  • Sunnanäng
  • Star Struck
  • Eating With The Angels
  • Lifesaving for Beginners
  • Christmas Cakes and Mistletoe Nights
  • White Wedding
  • Lizzy Harrison Loses Control
Lucy Dillon was born in Cumbria, worked for a while in publishing in London, and now lives in the Wye Valley with her husband and their Border terrier. She has written eight novels set in the fictional Midlands town of Longhampton, which looks a bit like Hereford, although the inhabitants tend to sound rather more Northern than that.

“If the rhythm was right, and the lyrics chimed in with your own mood, putting into words what you were hunting around to express, then your feet did the hard work by themselves while your mind was swept away by the song.” 0 likes
“The dress and the dance and the music, all together, meant you could turn a daydream into something real, for those three minutes on the floor, his hand holding yours, your knees brushing his thigh. You could be a dream woman, and your partner could be the man of your most romantic fantasies.” 0 likes