Start by marking “O Frabjous Day!” as Want to Read:
O Frabjous Day!

O Frabjous Day!

'I cried, "Come, tell me how you live!"
And thumped him on the head.'

Conjuring wily walruses, dancing lobsters, a Jabberwock and a Bandersnatch, Carroll's fantastical verse gave new words to the English language.
Paperback, Little Black Classics, 56 pages
Published March 3rd 2016 by Penguin (first published 1871)

To ask other readers questions about O Frabjous Day!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Frabjous Day!

Start your review of O Frabjous Day!
Kaitlin
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Absolutely wonderful to read. Some of these poems I already knew as they abbreviated versions from Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass but there were also some entirely new ones which I'd never read and which were excellent too!

I will say this is a super quick read (being a tiny book) but I honestly think it's well worth making sure to read it out loud as the poems all work SO MUCH better when the rhythm and pace and intonation is added to them. I read this whole book aloud and loved i
leynes
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm going to be very upfront with you: Lewis Carroll doesn't write my kind of poetry. I am not a huge fan of satire in this overly funny/ simple/ nursing-rhyme-kind of way and so by default Carroll's poetry should fall flat for me. But that isn't the case. [insert Bethoven's 5th here, please]

As some of you may know I study linguistics, and I am very interested in the different ways authors play with language and I am just in awe of Carroll's skill. You can say a lot about him – but not that he
Peter
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What pleasurable read. A book of nonsence that had me smilling and reliving moments of my childhood.

Highly recommended.
JK
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an utterly delightful little collection of nonsense.

Carroll’s rhymes are glorious, witty, and absolutely made to be read out loud. The rhythm and flow is always perfect, and I spent a gorgeous hour in my reading corner speaking them aloud.

The subject matter is ridiculous, his invented words sublime, and I must stop describing my mood as either frabjous, frumious (a particular favourite), or uffish.

I just couldn’t get enough. I’ll leave you with the greatest poetry finale ever written:

“O Oys
Lör K.
I cried, “Come, tell me how you live!” And thumped him on the head.

Lewis Carroll is probably one of the most renowned English classical authors, most known for his work, the Alice in Wonderland series. As I prepare to sit and read through the AiW series, I decided to order the Little Black Classic of O frabjous day!, a collection of poems from Carroll’s Jabberwocky and Other Nonsense: Collected Poems . The Jabberwocky is something most known from Alice in Wonderland, with Frabjous Day bei
miakowsky
Again Lewis Carroll, his sweet way of storytelling and funny poems. No matter how old I am, I will always feel like kiddo when I read Lewis.

Just loved it.
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I am not overly familiar with Lewis Carroll's work since I never liked Alice in Wonderland too much (the movies, never read the books). His poetry was completely new to me, but after I recently read Edward Lear's nonsense poetry (which was being compared as similar to Lewis Carroll) I was not looking forward to reading O Frabjous Day!. But, every week a Little Black Classics means reading one every week, so here we are.

My expectations
Niki (nikilovestoread)
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
A fun collection of verses by Lewis Carroll. Many of them appear in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, and The Hunting of the Snark. A quick and easy read with all Carroll's irresistible, craziness.
Katrina Waldman
I received this book a little while ago actually, for my birthday, and I had a hankering to read some more poetry so thought it would be the perfect opportunity to do so. I adore these Penguin 'little black classics' and wish to own more of them actually (I'm really eyeing up the box set!). Good, short reads that are often lesser-known works of fiction and non-fiction from classic, beloved authors! This is of course a collection of poems by Lewis Carroll, of 'Alice In Wonderland' fame and my sec ...more
Mia  Bakhthiar
A little reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. It's strange and cute and wonderful.
Twig
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love Carrolls writing ..
I had read all of this before but I like to have this little treasure in my collection.
Andy Hickman
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lewis Carroll "O frabjous day!" (Penguin Classics #106)

Rather dull until 'from The Hunting of the Snark', which is brilliantly funny. ****

"He had forty-two boxes, all carefully packed,
With his name painted clearly on each:
But, since he omitted to mention the fact,
They were all left behind on the beach." (p32)

"He had bought a large map representing the sea,
Without the least vestige of land:
And the crew were much pleased when they found it to be
A map they could all understand." (p35)

"'My father an
Sarah Parker
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve always enjoyed Lewis Carroll’s works, as a way to cleanse the palate when reading something else, but this time I was able to just enjoy the poems for themselves and not have to wonder about the way that they fit in the wider world that Carroll has created.

I’m glad that this included my favourite poem ‘The Walrus and the Carpenter’ and I’m glad that I was able to go back to that poem and enjoy it again as an adult.

Carroll’s poetry isn’t overly complicated to understand but at first glance
Weronika Zimna
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-english, poetry
'But wait a bit,' the Oysters cried,
Before we have our chat:
For some of us are out of breath
And all of us are fat!'

It contain some lovely poems and hilarious lines but, sadly, I only liked the first part of this tiny book. The second part contains poems from the Hunting on the Snark>, which failed to impress me. The first one, on the other hand, was great. Some Alice-ish poems and some I have never encountered before. The Mock Turtle's Song I is still my fav and it was nice to get to know it i
Jill
Sep 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
"Portmanteau"
Boojum - something that vanishes.
Nonsense poems
Hidden meaning for the search for happiness? Snark is an allegory for happiness?

Speaking of Snark, Fit the Sixth wasn't included and so I had to look it up online. Where was the editor on this?

An hour of my life I'll never get back. Torture. Had you YouTube orations just to get through it. Carroll had serous issues.

#ISATRAT shortest book challenge 2017.

Conclusion in a word: jaberwocky
Maria M
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of Lewis Carroll songs/poems. I still think the Jabberwocky is my favorite, but 'How doth the little crocodile', 'You are old, Father William', and The Walrus and the Carpenter' are fun to read since they make me think of watching the animated Disney movie as a kid.
Felicia Hellqvist

Sep 07, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5
Tegan Lawrence
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed some excerpts more than others.
Some were amazing, some were ... average.
Shruti
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Witty and creative as hell!
Matt
Jul 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Twas brillig, and the slithey toves, did gyre and gimble in the wabe..."

I always loved Carroll's poems tucked nicely into the pages of Alice in Wonderland, and so reading "O Frabjous Day!" was a treat as far as becoming reacquainted with such beautiful lines as "'The time has come' the Walrus said 'to talk of many things: of shoes - of ships - of sealing-wax -Of cabbages - and kings!'.

The high points were the old classics, including The Walrus and The Carpenter, Jabberwocky and You are old, Fa
Fadillah
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, animal, classics
I'm literally lost. This is utterly nonsensical or i just dont understand the beauty of Lewis Caroll's poems. *sigh. I think i will re-read this book with a complete guide from google or wikipedia to understand it better. I have to admit i suck so bad at literature so please dont mind me giving him 3 stars.
Ida Electra
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lewis Carroll has an incredible imagination. A lot of these poems are really funny. I especially enjoyed "Brother and Sister", and of course the ones from the Alice in Wonderland-universe are particularly appealing to me. "The hunting of the Snark" was a lot of fun too. Overall a great read!
Anne Lydolf
Odd in a way that only Lewis Carroll can pull off. Made up words and weird creatures all mixed up in poems with nice rhythms. I especially enjoyed Jabberwocky which at first didn't register as English in my mind.
Chloe Bailey
I liked a few poems in this books but some were pretty terrifying, they went from fun childish poems to dark and kind of morbid. It was a definitely an interesting read but not a favourite!
Katie Wood
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
enjoyed the first few stories but the last one (which is the majority of the book) was complete nonsense!
Ben Saff
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Beware the Jubjub bird.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Alone on the Beach at Night
  • Is This a Dagger Which I See Before Me?
  • Femme Fatale
  • Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast
  • The Robber Bridegroom
  • Aphorisms on Love and Hate
  • The Sea Raiders
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo