Start by marking “Revelation” as Want to Read:
Revelation

Revelation

When Harden Campbell wakes cold and beaten in a dirt-floor cell, he finds only three other things in the room with him: the mutilated body of his good friend, an ancient typewriter, and a stack of blank paper, the top sheet of which has a single, typed sentence.

"Tell me a story."

He knows the message is from Coyote, his brilliant, megalomaniacal roommate whose lust for
Published December 13th 2016 by Oceanview Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Revelation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revelation

Start your review of Revelation
Mackey
What a flashback! I felt as though I was reading the origins of Charles Manson throughout the entire book!

In Revelation, Carter Wilson brilliantly captures the mind and actions of a socio-psychopath on his rise to greatness and power and ultimately illustrates the carnage of broken human lives that are left in their wake.

When three college students invite a fourth to share their apartment, they had no idea of the darkness that was lurking in his soul. This is not a religious book; it is a book
Louise Wilson
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Harden Campbell wakes up on a dirt floor in a cell he is cold and has been beaten. The only things in the cell with him is the body of his friend, an old typewriter and a stack of blank paper. The top sheet has the words Tell Me A Story. He knows the message is from his megalomaniacal roommate who has a lust for power and reverence. Harden also knows that this is his only chance to escape so he has to recount the dark story of the past year at Wyland University.

I was drawn into this book
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I have an absurd obsession with anything to do with cults. I'm always fascinated with how easily it seems people will follow something that serves a purpose in their life and how someone who is sociopathic can give off this magnetic personality and prey on those who need something like this in their life. And really, how far off is religion from cult? Ok, Ok, let's not get into a big debate here. But fascinating, isn't it?

In this book, Wilson introduces us to Harden. A good guy who typically
Nicki
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Harden Campbell wakes cold and beaten in a cell with something crawling around in his mouth.There is only three other things in the room with him,the mutilated body of his good friend,an ancient typewriter and a stack of blank paper with a single typed sentence on the top sheet.

TELL ME A STORY

So Harden starts writing the most difficult story he has ever written because he knows that the person who is behind his imprisonment will be reading each and every word and both the lives of Harden and the
Bandit
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This is actually the third book I've read by the author. He writes the sort of books I tend to enjoy, although this one was definitely more of a thriller and less of a mystery. Still, it had a really interesting concept (ersatz religion created for all the wrong purposes by an overprivileged psychopathic college kid) and solid execution, whatever might have lacked in the narrative made up for abundantly with dynamic pacing. Very entertaining read. Thanks Netgalley.
LenaRibka
Is Revelation a character-driven novel or a plot-driven suspense thriller?

I would tend to the first one. But it is also a gripping psycho-drama in the fast-paced thrills and exciting action, with unexpected twists and turns that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Some violent scenes are very graphical, see it as a warning.

It was without doubts a 5 stars read through and through up to the end, but the VERY ending was slightly overloaded for my taste.

Still an excellent book that I would
Pat
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this one. I've enjoyed a few other books by Carter Wilson but he really amped it up this time. This is a story about a charismatic psychopath who lets nothing get in the way of his plans.

It was a thrilling thriller but also very dark. It charts the story of the last year at college of a group of friends and the monster they have as their roommate. Harden, Jason and Derek have known each other for 3 years. They are sharing a 4 bedroom house near the college. Harden dramatically
Mylene
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-best
Great read

Deep and disturbing. I really enjoyed this book....a page-turner that jumps back and forth in time to tell a story about malevolence and one man's need to "consume" people. It makes you question what the human spirit can overcome. Looking forward to reading more from this author.
Norma
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
( Format : Audiobook )
""A dark stain that goes with them ...""
I almost certainly will relisten to this book again some time in the future: it will be good to revisit it with the better knowledge of what was happening following the unexpected conclusion.
Three student friends Derek, Jacob and Harden, rent a four bedroom apartment to share during their final college year. Although two of the young men are quite financially sound, one is not, so it makes sense to add a fourth room mate to their
Bob Platypire
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I requested and was granted an Audible code for this audio book*

This was a fantastic, cinematic, gripping thriller of a ride! I was on the edge of my seat throughout, and only stopped for sleep because I just had to. Amazing characters and plotting, I thought I knew what was coming next only to be delightfully blindsided!

The descriptions of the cell made me feel like I was really there, able to see and feel the dirt beneath me, hearing the ticking of the typewriter. So wonderfully written, it
Keith Curran
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant Psychological Examination

A thriller, yes. A procedural, yes. But, not the kind one might assume. A dark study of a charismatic psychopath. Coyote. His choices, perceptions, manipulations, self-delusions. The story is shared with Harden and Emma. Surprisingly so. One a wary friend. One a lover-soon-not-to-be. But, what is friendship? Who we are when we are with someone? A conquering? A submission? History? Admiration? Respect? Fascination? Don't be frightened off, but this is
Debbie
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Tell me a story" - Carter Wilson does this superbly.

After waking up beaten almost to the point of death in a dark cold room, Harden Campbell is set with the task of recounting the last year of his life in story format. Reliving events with his college friends Jacob and Derek as well as the introduction of his newest acquaintance, Coyote, leads to the meat of this thriller. A simple creative writing assignment of Harden's turns into a "project" for Coyote to create a new religion on campus. His
Robyn
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Harden Campbell wishes he could wake up from this nightmare. Cold, alone and locked in a dark room, the first thing he notices is the dead body of his closest friend. That is not the only thing he notices. Harden sees an old typewriter, a stack of white paper and on the top sheet the words Tell Me A Story. He knows who it is from and he also knows that his life depends on the story he is about to tell.

The words of a book mean nothing when theyre just ink on paper. Its the author you have to
Christian Orton
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A real page turner. One of the best thrillers I've read in years. Coyote is easily a Top 5 all-time favorite character.
Julia Nierer
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
holy shitness
Krissi
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I've read by this author, and I will definitely read more. Well written and decent character development.
Darcia Helle
All religions have, at their core, a charismatic figure; a leader in whom the masses are willing to put their trust and faith. Perhaps most important, this leader becomes someone whom others often blindly obey. This is the core concept of Revelation. The story is uncomfortably dark in its realism. We see how our human need to find purpose and meaning can so easily be manipulated and twisted by a psychopath with a magnetic personality.

This story is told through two closely linked alternating
Linda Jakubowski
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great page turner! Just what one needs on a cold February afternoon. Realistic characters and plot. This would make a great movie.
Elizabeth (Literary Hoarders)
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I confess that I hated the novel's beginning. Full of violent imagery and over-the-top darkness, I figured that this wouldn't be worth the time. Happy to say I was wrong. Couldn't put it down. Fascinating plot, and just a hint of Scientology? This definitely qualifies as a page burner.
Jane Brewer
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I really liked it. There are some questions I have about the character Coyote, but if you suspend belief just a tad, this could happen. Just look at the Trump election. At any rate, it was a book I was anxious to read and ran to every free moment I had. I liked all the characters, and the author was successful with the mini surprise at the end. Cool book. I would read more by Carter Wilson!
J. Core
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
At a small New York college, two roommates set out to create a religious cult as a social experiment. Soon, however, things take a malevolent turn when the burgeoning Churchs chosen messiah turns out to be a socio-pathological lunatic. Waking to find himself trapped in a sort of dungeon cell like that of John of Patmos, with only a typewriter, a spider, and the rotting corpse of his former roommate for companionship, Harden Campbell sets to work writing his book of Revelation.
Set over a quarter
Lori
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started this book. I was pleasantly surprised. This was a great listen. It was one of those books I couldn't wait to get back to. It is definitely worth your time and credit.

It's well written, creative, entertaining and very enjoyable. While the story is somewhat predictable in many ways and you know what is going to happen, the way in which the story was unfolded between the past and present was perfect. It pulls you in and never lets go, is full of on
Tori
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The words of a book mean nothing when they're just ink on paper. It's the author you have to believe in, not the message. If the author of a message is believable, the message becomes irrelevant."

Revelation was a book that begged to be finished. I devoured all 300 some pages of it in one sitting, in less than five hours even. I was sad and angry, I was heartwarmed and I was frustrated - the mere amount of emotion and feeling in this book alone qualifies it for five stars.

The characters
H
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A frightening tale"

Overall: 4 stars
Performance: 5 stars
Story: 4 stars

Would you consider the audio edition of Revelation to be better than the print version?
I would think so because of the narrator. I can picture the characters better with the voice changes. This narrator did an amazing job.

Have you listened to any of Timothy McKeans other performances before? How does this one compare?
Always does a good job. I gave 5 stars.

Did you have an extreme reaction to this book? Did it make you laugh or
Lauren Tupper
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: overdrive
An excellent psychological thriller.

Short chapters, great characters, and sharp writing made for an engaging read. Revelation gripped me from the first chapter.

Coyote is a controlling and charismatic young man who decides to create a new religion - Revelation - just to see if he can! The novel begins after this has already happened. Harden, our protagonist, wakes up imprisoned in a cell, Coyote demanding he write the story of Revelation. Every word counts. His life depends on it.

Thus begins
Janet
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A fast, fun read. An impressionable and naive young college student named Arden is drawn to an extraordinary fellow student who calls himself Coyote. Coyote seems to have a plan that includes Arden but at first its not clear what that is. Gradually his fascination with Coyote begins to become fear as he realizes what Coyote has done and is capable of doing. Coyotes plan for him turns out to be terrifying and bewildering. As this plan unfolds, Ardens life is imperiled and forever changed.
The
Jeff
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intense and gripping. Carter Wilson really puts the psycho in this psychological thriller. When Harden Campbell wakes up alone in a cell with an old typewriter, a stack of blank paper and the instruction to "tell me a story," he understands what he's expected to do. He begins to write the story of what happened over the past year. Chapters alternate between his current situation in the cell and the story he is writing. It's very well paced and suspenseful. The characters are well drawn and ...more
Ann
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Four and a half for this roller coaster of a book. It starts out with a bang, our protagonist laying in a cell with a dead man, not sure of how he got there and how long he's been out. The chapters then begin to alternate between present day in the cell and about 9 months prior, when our hero was a 20 year old senior in college, looking forward to graduation and beyond.

His senior year would have likely been uneventful if he hadn't met a fellow senior who would become his roommate. I will leave
Suzie Q
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Harden Jac0b and Derrek 3 college boys sharing a house in senior year at college need a 4th roommate. They meet rich, odd, charismatic Wyle (Coyote) who is dating Emma.
Harden an English major writes a paper about what it would take to create a new religion in the modern era. Coyote decides to actually follow through and make it his own experiment to consume people and become their leader and he wants Harden to document it all.
Harden ends up in a dirt basement cell with an old school typewriter
Liz
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Theme Music
  • Earth Warden (Ancient Guardians #1)
  • The Housekeeper
  • Grace is Gone
  • The Last Woman in the Forest
  • Ghosts of the Missing
  • The Ghosts of Kali Oka Road (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 1)
  • Prince of Thieves
  • The Ghosts of the Crescent Theater (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 2)
  • I Know Everything
  • The Patient
  • American Elsewhere
  • The Beautiful Strangers
  • A Haunting on Bloodgood Row (Gulf Coast Paranormal Book 3)
  • Gretchen
  • The Good Neighbor
  • That Darkness (Gardiner and Renner, #1)
  • Paper Roses (Serenity's Plain Secrets, #5)
Carter Wilson is the USA Today and #1 Denver Post bestselling author of six critically acclaimed, standalone psychological thrillers, as well as numerous short stories. He is an ITW Thriller Award finalist, a three-time winner of the Colorado Book Award, and his novels have received multiple starred reviews from Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and Library Journal. His latest novel, The Dead Girl in ...more