Start by marking “Everyone Communicates Few Connect” as Want to Read:
Everyone Communicates Few Connect

Everyone Communicates Few Connect

The ability to connect with others is a major determining factor in reaching your full potential. It's no secret! Connecting is a skill you can learn and apply in your personal, professional, and family relationships---and you can start now!
Published February 25th 2016 by Thomas Nelson (first published March 30th 2010)

Start your review of Everyone Communicates Few Connect
Al
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone Communicates, Few Connect (John Maxwell)

Central Truths

1. If you want to succeed, you must learn how to connect with others.
2. High achievers care about people, view subordinates optimistically, seek advice from subordinates, and listens well to everyone.
3. Maturity is the ability to see and act on behalf of others.
4. We remember 85% to 90% of what we see; less than 15% of what we hear.
5. Connecting always requires energy; must intentionally and willingly connect with others. This requir
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
Although this book came out almost 10 years ago, it is as relevant and timely today. I highly recommend this book on connecting, especially in this hyper-active, socially connected society. It contains invaluable wisdom & actional steps you can apply anywhere. ...more
Danny
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this look at connecting. It communicates 5 principles and 5 practices for connecting.
Part 1: Connecting Principles
1. Connectors Connect on Common Ground
2. Connectors Do the Difficult Work of Keeping It Simple
3. Connectors Create an Experience Everyone Enjoys
Paul C. Stalder
A fine example of a book whose endnotes are worth more than the actual content. This is not a terrible book; it is easy to read, understandable, and fairly applicable to differing situations. And yet, I found reading it almost unbearable. For a book that stresses focusing on others in order to connect, Maxwell uses the word "I" insufferably. It felt at points as if he simply wanted to expound on his success. And there is no doubting his success, but he need not be such a blowhard about it.
When
Melissa Krabbe
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! There are so many great ideas in it that it’s hard to know where to start commenting on them. So I’ve picked my top ten, which I’ve described in reverse order. I’ve also included a couple of concerns.

Number 10: Maxwell demonstrates connecting by using blog comments in this book. He talks about the need to “be the message” (210) in order to most effectively inspire people, so I thought it was appropriate that Maxwell himself demonstrates how he is connecting with people by the w
Thomas Holbrook

John C. Maxwell is a well-respected, widely known, much awarded leadership expert. In case the reader was unaware of this fact, he/she well is reminded – frequently – in the first fifty pages of this book. I can only assume this is Mr. Maxwell’s way of establishing credibility quickly, but I found it very distracting to be told how qualified the author is every other page. This self-aggrandizement proved to be unneeded, as the content of the book was good, the writing clear & engaging with easi
Daniel Butcher
Sep 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John C. Maxwell in Everyone Communicates Few Connect provides guidance to help leaders move from talking and sharing information to connecting to audiences, ranging from one on one to large audiences. Maxwell breaks his work into two parts; principles the theory of connection, and practices, how to connect. At the end of each chapter, Maxwell provides an overview of the major points of each chapter and tips on applying each chapter’s content for different audiences. The author reminds us that in ...more
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
More substance, less testimonials please. I'm sure there are others who will soak up the info here, but for me, the style fell flat. It's breezy and conversational, packed full of stories and real life examples. So many, in fact, that the actual argument is lost among the chatter. Though I read it by rec and was looking forward to it, I found myself skimming by the second chapter and abandoned it halfway. If endorsements and fuzzy stories help you absorb information, by all means give this book ...more
David Pugh
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not necessarily anything earth shattering or new in the book, but excellently put together. There were definitely some nuggets of truth that jumped out at me. The book did more to motivate than instruct, which was kind of the point of the book. If you hope to communicate effectively this is a great read, and recommended.
K.T.
Jun 24, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a mix of uninteresting personal anecdotes, information poached from other (better) writers, mini Bible lessons and shower thoughts from a white, heteronormative, Republican, Protestant male. So not the book to read right now or ever. Only giving it one star because zero stars isn’t possible and I literally got paid to read it.
Jade
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version and man it moved at a snail's pace. It felt very patronizing. I'll probably read again during summer break to see if I enjoy it more.
Razvan Rogoz
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to hate these kinds of books.

Why?

It is your simplistic, feel good type of “manual”. It is not thought provoking. It is not something that will make you say “wow, I wish I thought of this before”.

However, I am using the wrong system of values.

This book taught me or reminded me many common sense approaches to communication. Nothing is special or complex and yet, all work. It made me say again and again “yeah, right, why haven’t I done that?”.

Communication, effective communication is simple
Tiffany
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is written by a supposed expert in communication with the help of a professional writer, and it has been a slog to get through. I'm reading it for work, and my boss and I agree that it's way too long and boring. If you're interested in the subject, get this from the library (don't pay for it), and just read the chapter summaries. There are a few good points, but he uses ten examples when a couple would suffice. And there are way too many stories and quotes. He's not following his own advice ...more
Jeff
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-book-list
Connecting is the ability to identify with people and relate to them in a way that increases your influence with them.

"If I went back to college again, I'd concentrate on two areas: learning to write and speak before an audience. Nothing in life is more important than the ability to communicate effectively." Gerald Ford

Three questions the crowd is asking:
1. Do you care for me?
2. Can you help me?
3. Can I trust you?

"The most influential person who will talk to you all day, is you. So, you shou
Stephen
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book helped me understand that dealing with people is not all about me. Listening to the person speak and giving myself time to respond helps with a connection. This connection crosses all parts of my life from business to family and friends.
Jesse Bray
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! Practical, and accessible!
Srikantadatta Tagadur
As a public speaking enthusiast I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn the art of connecting with people. The author is truly an expert in this field and conveys the message in the most lucid and simplest way possible. The anecdotes and examples used to reinforce the concepts are perfect and genuinely appeals to everyone who reads the book. The read was a great learning experience and I can’t wait to see all my learning in action.
Ruchika Verma
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource to understand how connecting is important and what are the ways to connect with people. I am writing two quotes which I like the most.

People won't go along with you if they can't get along with you.

Bad leaders believe people work for them.
Good leaders believe people work with them.
Great leaders believe they work for people.
Vladimir Salcedo
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great for the socially awkward and socially inept person who literally needs an instruction manual on how to communicate and connect with people. If you're a social butterfly, I think the second half of the book has insight that will help enrich relationships and intentionally impact others in a positive way.
Carrie Daws
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
John Maxwell has definitely learned over his career how to communicate well with others. The tips and counsel he offers within these pages almost seem too simple, yet as I've put some of them into practice over my few years of leadership, I've seen the results. If you want to communicate more effectively--through leadership, through speaking or writing--this is a great place to start.
Alberto Cuellar
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great piece of reading. Easy to digest.

Great piece of reading. Easy to digest.
Great anecdotes and quotes.
Very practical. Every leader should read it.
Thank you.
Jason
Apr 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have ever read a book by John Maxwell before then you can appreciate both the simple truths and straight forward actions that he gives and suggests in his books. This book is no different. However, if you have read Maxwell's stuff before, then you probably also know how long it can take to work through the book if you are truly taking it in and contemplating what he is suggesting you do to change your life rather than just reading it straight through.
Maxwell believes that it is our abili
Matthew Turner
I don’t know why I keep making the same mistake, but hopefully this will be my last one. These self-help books just aren’t for me. I was lured by the snappy title, and my naïve optimism that this author would have something profound to say on the topic.

Almost all the advice in this book is OK and --- if I’m really honest --- I did actually learn a couple of new things (although I’m struggling to think of them now).

But the overall experience was a little unpleasant for me. For example, the author
Jo Linsdell
In Everyone Communicates Few Connect, Internationally respected leadership expert and speaker, John C. Maxwell discusses how to communicate and connect with others in order to reach your potential.

In this book Maxwell offers his method of Five Principles and Five Practices, you can learn to connect one-on-one, in a group or with an audience.

Although Maxwell highlights the importance of concentrating on others and not just promoting or talking about yourself as being one of the major aspects of
Carolyn Kost
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: org-mgmt
Author, speaker and leadership expert Maxwell seeks to catalyze readers' latent potential to become highly effective and influential leaders and expert communicators who deftly establish connections with their listeners. Maxwell refutes the idea that identifying with others is an innate ability, but rather a skill that one can develop by directing one's attention toward others and connecting enthusiastically with what others see, hear, feel, and understand. He identifies various practices of tho ...more
John Semchenko
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-book-list
key understanding...
Communciation is all about connecting with others. Information transferred is less important than the relationship that is built.

key quotes...
People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.

You can not educate or motivate until you initiate a relationship.

Communication is less KNOWLEDGE and more relationship.

To accomplish anything of value, you must learn to manage and marshal your energy.

Connecting with others begins with thinking about those people.

W
Aaron Beddes
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much since I wasn't familiar with the book - just stumbled across it in OverDrive. But, I was very pleasantly surprised. I appreciate self-help books that emphasize the importance of being a better person first, and then how that leads to success.

I just listened to a copy borrowed from the library, but this is probably a book worth owning. I'll probably buy it.
Isaai Lance Sihlangu
Just started reading this book a few a days ago,like all other Maxwell's previous books,this one is none other than the best yet of Maxwell's classic,How many times do we communicate yet failing in connecting with each other,well alot of times if you ask me!!,well those are over, John C Maxwell with this book gives us the in-depth break drown of how we can not only enhance our communication but ways in making that happen,Maxwell's great thoughts and view.
Tony Rogers  Jr.
WOW!! What a great book.. Very well written, excellent stories to back up the points (one made me laugh out loud) along with practical applicable strategies and tips. I found myself shaking my head in agreement with many of the key points the author made. I purchased the audio & hardback book for review and closer study.

This is simply a must-have for anyone that cares about connecting with people.
Travis Dahle
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book and would highly recommend it to people who want to improve how they communicate with people in meetings, face to face, and in large presentations.

A more in-depth review can be found here.
Forsyth County Pu...: Read to Lead - April 1 12 Mar 08, 2016 02:02PM

• Am I Making Myself Clear?: Secrets of the World's Greatest Communicators
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • The Business of the 21st Century
  • How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
  • The Vision Driven Leader: 10 Questions to Focus Your Efforts, Energize Your Team, and Scale Your Business
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • Go-Givers Sell More
  • Skill with People
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • The Outward Mindset: Seeing Beyond Ourselves
  • Hung by the Tongue
  • Don't Eat the Marshmallow Yet!: The Secret to Sweet Success in Work and Life
  • Bull's-Eye: The Power of Focus
  • What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • Excellence Wins: A No-Nonsense Guide to Becoming the Best in a World of Compromise
  • Switch On Your Brain: The Key to Peak Happiness, Thinking, and Health
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more

News & Interviews

“People may hear your words, but they feel your attitude.” 3 likes
“When you make a commitment, you create hope. When you keep a commitment, you create trust.” 3 likes