Start by marking “Withering Rose (Once Upon a Curse, #2)” as Want to Read:
Withering Rose (Once Upon a Curse, #2)

Withering Rose

(Once Upon a Curse #2)

What if Beauty was cursed, and the Beast was the only one who could save her?

"As the heat finally disappeared, I felt the bloom blossom in the very core of my soul, a rose just like my name--a ticking clock hidden behind a façade of beauty. From that moment on, my life would become a countdown, and all I could do was wait and watch as the petals of time slowly started to
ebook
Published May 17th 2016 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Withering Rose, please sign up.
Kaitlyn Davis Thanks so much for asking! Withering Rose goes on sale May 17th, 2016 and is available to pre-order now on Amazon, Apple, B&N and Kobo!
Alexa Carver I only read the 2nd book and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, I'm going to pick up the 1st in the next few days. I felt like the 2nd…moreI only read the 2nd book and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, I'm going to pick up the 1st in the next few days. I felt like the 2nd one summarized the 1st without giving any spoilers.(less)

Carrie
Jun 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
When Omorose Bouchene was seven an earthquake hit and sent her out of her own world and off to Earth where she's had to hide the fact that she can do magic. Those that can do magic have been hunted in order to eradicate all trace of it. After ten years of hiding who she is Omorose decides to run away to the realm of the Beast where she'd be able to be herself and practice magic.

Withering Rose is the second book in the Once Upon A Curse series but can be read as a standalone novel. This particul
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Thanks to Netgalley and Xpresso Book Tours for giving me this book to review.

Withering Rose is the very enjoyable sequel to Gathering Frost, which is a unique twist on the classic Beauty and the Beast story. This story is fast paced, has good world building and an easy read. Also there is romance and a nice fairy-tale story.

Omorose is quiet and timid which makes her an unusual YA heroine, but she is also caring and kind. To begin with Cole is secretive and has a temper, but he is also sweet and
Genni Eccles
This was so much fun! I'm so glad I gave this book a chance. I haven't read a fairytale retelling in a really long time and this didn't disappoint. The novel had the perfect mix of originality and old legend. I'm definitely going to be continuing with the series. Full review to come!

*Thank you to Netgalley, Kaitlyn Davis, and Xpresso Book Tours for the ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review!*
Shelby
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Amazing Stars!
Amazing I love this book! The series is great! I love everything about this series. I have to say I like this book a little bit better than the first book. I thought it went in more detail then the first book did. I am happy to ready this series, but I am really sad it is over.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Whew am I glad that is over! Withering Rose and I did not get along. Book 1, Gathering Frost, was sooo much better than this one.

I think the issue with Withering Rose is that it stuck too close to its Beauty and the Beast roots at times (and at other times when I wanted it to stick to the original story it didn't). For example, when you have the opportunity to describe one of the most famous fictional libraries ever don't you exploit it?! Apparently not, as Kathryn Davis decided not to...

There
Erin O'Roark
Jun 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who can take the movie "Legend" seriously. Anyone who hates themselves.
No. Just no. Holy hell I want two days of my life back.

I don't know if there was one thing I enjoyed about that.

That was literally one of the worst books I've ever read. Any time a heroin goes from hating someone to falling in love with themin literally five minutes I'm not kidding, it's over.

This book had thicker cheese than a Wisconsin pizza.
Paula  Phillips
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who have read the first book in this series, you will recall that an Earthquake struck and combined the world of Magic and Fairy tales with Earth and those who fell through the cracks into earth had to live with a world that hated and hunted Magic . Omorose was one of those Magical beings, before the Earthquake struck she was on her way to a neighbouring kingdom to marry the Prince even though they were both only seven years old. The Earthquake then struck and Omorose and her father we ...more
Haadiya // Hiatus
4.25 Stars
OHMYGOD A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THE FIRST BOOK.

This is the second book of the series- but isn't specifically closely related to the first. I'm really glad I read this book, it tied up some of my questions from the first book quite well and the world-development was more prioritized in this. (thank goodness)

This particular book is about Omorose- the world's change from the point of view of a person of the other world. In the first book we're told about the people of Earth, the r
Book Gannet
I really enjoyed this retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Omorose is an unusual YA Fantasy heroine because she’s not feisty and gutsy or kickass in anyway. Instead she’s quiet and withdrawn and has learned to hide herself so well she’s almost afraid to live. Because she has magic, the kind of magic that is beautiful and life giving, but that kills her a little more each time she uses it – and if any of the people surrounding her in the base she lives in, they’ll kill her without question.

It’s cer
☆Stephanie☆
**I received a copy of this book free from the publisher and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

I love fairy tale retellings. I'm a big fan. Most of the time, they are so-so. The Lunar Chronicles are an example of fairy tale retellings/revamps that are done right. So are the Once Upon A Curse Novels by Kaitlyn Davis.
I do recommend now that I've finished book two that you read book one, Gathering Frost, first. I didn't, and though it didn't confuse me or ruin the experience of book tw
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
A great addition to the series. This book is a retelling of beauty and the beast. I enjoyed the story but was a little disappointed in the ending. I loved a action packed on the edge of your seat books. The first one did pretty good at that this one was a little slower for me. I'm definitely interested in what happens next and can't wait to read the next book.
Dani (Dani Reviews Things & Love in a time of Feminism)

I'm pretty sure I just read my wish fulfilment Beauty and the Beast fantasy. I am still giddy with all the fuzzies I felt while reading Withering Rose.

Ok, let's take a step back. Withering Rose is the follow-up to Gathering Frost, which I reviewed a couple of weeks ago. While the blurb suggests that the stories are standalone, which can be interpreted as you not
Angela Auten
Withering Rose Review

Book Rating: 5 stars out 5

Story Line: 5 stars out 5. Beauty has a curse. Every time she uses her magic she loses a little bit of life. Her curse is very dangerous. When she goes on the mountain to escape the people that don't have magic there she meets Cole. Cole is the King of Beasts! At first Omorose and Cole didn't get along. As the story went on their love starts to blossom. There were really some heart melting scenes. I loved this one so much better than the first one.
Stacy
I gave it 3.5 stars

I didn't fall in love with GATHERING FROST, but I liked it enough to be interested when I saw that WITHERING ROSE was available for review.

Davis introduces a new take on Beauty and the Beast in WITHERING ROSE. Omorose is from the magic side of things and is forced to keep her magic under lock and key to keep herself safe, but she can't do it anymore and heads to the only place she can think of that will let her be herself, the realm of the Beast. I found Omorose very determine
Baria Imtiaz
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

OMG THIS BOOK IS DONE. I can't believe this beautiful journey is over. I loved Omorose and Cole since the beginning. It's a re-telling of beauty and the beast. And while reading this, belle and the beast kept coming to my mind. The best thing about this book is that it doesn't ruin the original beauty and the beast at all. I would highly recommend this book.

P.S. I didn't read the first book first but I read the second book first so it's all okay cuz these
Aila
I thought this was a nice sequel to the series that features fairy tale retellings, all interconnected in a way. This time, we’re looking at a Beauty and the Beast retelling (which is my favorite kind, to be honest). I didn’t like it quite as much as the first book, but enjoyed it nonetheless. Withering Rose is a quick read that combines the fantastical and real world in the same dimension after an earthquake that brought them together.

Main review to come at One Way Or An Author"!
Danielle
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 2.5

While predictable, fluffy, silly and demanding many eye rolls, I did enjoy Withering Rose. It certainly wasn't anything special and I wouldn't go out of my way to get a copy, but if you happen to find a free version and have nothing else to read, it's a decent time waster!
Colleen's Conclusions
This was not my favorite Beauty and the Beast retelling. It isn't as bad as A Court of Thorns and Roses was to me, but it had certain elements that were similar to that book. Cole also reminded me of Tamlin. The first book was definitely better in this series for me.

This one was kind of a "rebound book" since I am trying to get back into a relationship with books again. It wasn't terrible, but it didn't surpass my expectations on it from the first one.

There's nothing really wrong with Ms. Davi
Gina Johnson
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun fairy tale retelling! This one was about Beauty and the Beast. The author does a good job of intertwining the stories and I'm looking forward to reading the next one (about Cinderella) when it comes out.
dessie
Review also posted on Samodivas

1.5 star

I received a free eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

What first drew me in about this book was the cover, I’m not going to lie. While it’s not the best book cover I’ve seen, it still captivated me enough to pique my interest. Then I read the synopsis and was even further intrigued. What is more, the fact that this book is part of a series but it can be understood without having read the first one was a huge bonus, because I haven’t, in fa
Pamela

If you've stuck around with me for a while, you might have noticed that I have a thing for retellings. I even recently binge read the Lunar Chronicles, and I really enjoyed that series. As for Beauty and the Beast retellings, one of my favorites is Stacey Jay's Of Beast and Beauty.

Now, let me introduce you to Withering Rose, a book I dove into wit
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
On the day the earthquake stuck Omorose Bouchene only seven years old loses almost everything that she holds dear to her. Her home and life as she knows it is ripped from her and she ends up in a place that she has never been before; a place with fast cars and cell phones among other things. Omorose and her father were on their way to visit a prince whom she is engaged to and has visited a couple of other times in her life.

Before she reaches the prince’s home the earthquake strikes and she is in
Jessica
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Aptly named, ‘Withering Rose,’ is a tale about a girl named Omorose whose magic sometimes forces its way out of her, costing her a bit of time off her life expectancy with each outburst. Set in the same universe as Kaitlyn Davis’ ‘Gathering Frost’ retelling of Sleeping Beauty, ‘Withering Rose’ tells the re-imagined tale of Beauty and the Beast.

Omorose and her father are left stranded in the ‘real world’ as a result of the same earthquake that affected members of the Fairytale kingdom i
Meghan Lloyd
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale, so I was very excited to read this story! It did not disappoint. I thought the world building was done very well, and I could visualize everything clearly. The romance was also nice, developing at a good pace with the story.

Omorose has magic that allows her to bring life to the earth. She can grow flowers, trees, vines, etc. But when she was 7 years old, her world and the human world collided, and she had to suppress her magic. The human world grea
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)

I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Once Upon a Curse is quickly becoming one of my favorite series of all time – and it's not just the fact that it's a retelling (although that is definitely a bonus). Back in book one, Gathering Frost, Davis first introduces us to her world of fairy tales with a dystopian twist – and I enjoyed every second of the first book.

In Withering Rose, the ne
Maggie Boyd
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A retelling of Beauty and the Beast, this is the story of what happens when the enchanted realm of happily ever after meets our world.

There is an earthquake and quite suddenly Omorose Bouchene finds herself in a world of steel and guns. A world that blames magic for all that has gone wrong there. With the help of her father, she hides her power but the magic longs to be free. When she heads into the enchanted land controlled by the Beast, she is afraid. Certain she will be killed or destroyed. B
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya
I love fairytale re-telling's with Beauty and the Beast being one my favorites. I loved this version and the twist to the story the author created. It was a fun world to be in and I adored Cole and Omorose. I read book two first but I'm going to go back and read book one since that couple appeared in this book and their story seems like it would be fun. I'll be anxiously waiting for book three release. 4 Stars!
 ♥♥Mari♥♥
Many female readers love the "Beauty and the Beast" fairy tale, and I count myself among them! So I never get tired of reading retellings of this famous story. This particular one is a very imaginative retelling, too. Davis seamlessly combines four genres in this novel, something which is quite fascinating! In addition to the story itself, it was this combination that drew me to the novel. (Of course, the romance was a very strong convincing factor, as well!)

Another thing that drew me was the a
Kelsey
Things I didn't like: her name. Omorose didn't work for me.

Things I did like: no kidnapping/being forced to stay with the beast. The beast had a name- Cole! What a great thing. The ending, and the obvious set up for the next book.

Not as good as the first, but a cool world with decent (but odd) world building.
Jimmy
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this sometime in eighth grade, but it was such an amazing read! I was cruising through some books, and if you're into opposites attracting and fairy tale rewrites, then this is a really good start. I can't guarantee that everyone will love it, but give it a chance, you may enjoy it.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 19, 2016 11:30AM
  • Twisted
  • Fall of Thrones and Thorns (Threats of Sky and Sea, #3)
  • Mad About the Hatter
  • Anomalies
  • Forager (Forager #1)
  • ProtoStar (The Star-Crossed Saga)
  • The Neverland Wars (The Neverland Wars, #1)
  • Prejudice & Pride
  • The Unmasking of Cinderella (Enchanted Fairytales, #4)
  • Ashes in the Sky (Fire in the Woods, #2)
  • Everdeep (Night Watchmen, #4)
  • A Curse of Ash and Iron
  • No Substitute for Motives (Subbing isn't for Sissies #6)
  • Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • Night Shift (Night Shift Series #1)
  • Spark
  • Almana
  • The Warrior Prophet (The Watcher Saga, #3)
Kaitlyn Davis, a bestselling author with over a quarter of a million books sold, writes young adult fantasy novels under the name Kaitlyn Davis and contemporary romance novels under the name Kay Marie. Publisher's Weekly has said, "Davis writes with confidence and poise," while USA Today has recommended her work as "must-read romance."

To learn more about her contemporary romance novels, visit her

Once Upon a Curse (3 books)
  • Gathering Frost (Once Upon a Curse, #1)
  • Chasing Midnight (Once Upon A Curse, #3)