Start by marking “The Eve of Our September (September Series)” as Want to Read:
The Eve of Our September (September Series)

The Eve of Our September (September Series)

Edythe Jamison, a young debutante of the 1920s, has been pining for Henry Barton Jr. ever since he rescued her from embarrassment. But her thoughts of him are just a fantasy. She's convinced that he would never be interested in a girl like her.

Henry, a newly licensed attorney, is not ready to settle down with any girl just yet. But his wants are quickly put on hold the
Published February 28th 2016

Start your review of The Eve of Our September (September Series)
April
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Unread shelf project 2020: book 5.

Ugh. Man, I so wanted to like this.

But it wasn’t the typos that ruined it for me, shockingly enough (I went into this expecting editing errors so that probably helped!). Nope. It was the research done into Baltimore in the 1920s that ruined this one.

*pause*

Okay so I actually looked up some things and it turns out that I had some beliefs that needed to be corrected. One of my issues with this book is that one of the characters’ old flames (an African-American
Jon
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
P.R. Keys. Bio says she is a lawyer by day, and then writes as well. Set in the inter-war era of the 1920's, during Prohibition and Jazz time in the USA, I have to confess it was better than I thought it would be. Some. I don't like the Romance genre, and Black romances seem to be pretty much the same content as white romances. This one DID develop a tense plot, well-drawn characters, and the times - deep racism, prohibition, stratified society, etc. - play a major part and impact the plot. That ...more
Dana
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: friends
I really enjoyed this debut historial romance by PR Keys. I won't give any spoilers but I enjoyed the characters involved and there is so much room to develop more stories out of this group of friends, enemies, and family members. I haven't read a lot of historical fiction from this time period so that was a nice change of pace for me. I think the author does a good job of setting the tone of the times and drawing you into the mood of the early 20s. The delineations between the social elite and ...more
Kaala Jackson
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very classy

I liked this book. I got it because it was a little different from what I usually read.. an AA historical fiction romance mystery novel... I like that Henry liked Edyth despite her weight & that he knew he loved her .. I didn’t like that he tried to fight it and keep a correspondence with Christina. I kinda figured why James was so angry and wanted revenge, that was a bit predictable.. Grams frustrated me with her secrecy .. I think this book would have been 100x better without
Smile 2 Day
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Read

This book captured me from the first page. I stayed up all night reading iy and it was worth every moment of tiredness I will have today! The author did an excellent job painting vivid pictures and creating unforgettable characters. This is the kind of book I want to curl up and read on a cold winter day with a cup of spiked hot chocolate. Do yourself a favor and BUY THE BOOK!!!!
Kadi
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Black Historical Romance Novel in the vein of Piper Huguley and Beverly Jenkins

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. Our heroine learns to love herself and get over her eating disorder (bingeing) and it also reflect the Prohibition Era’s modern ideas, such as inner thoughts, women’s exercise, women’s education, and black political office. So many great references to the culture of the time and layouts the timeless problem of Black classism. This is like a romance thriller.
C. Mills
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is an ebook. Upper middle class Black family, preparing an unwilling daughter for the Debutants' ball in the 1920's. This is an OK book, but there are many books that show the way Black families had to live then, from upper middle to lowest, the color of skin they were born with held them back, often for ridiculous reasons.
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I thought that this was a great first book and am looking forward to reading more by this author. I loved Henry as the hero. Although clearly a man of his class, he was smart and had a beautiful tender side. I agree with some of the other reviewers that we need more books set in this time period, and I think there are a lot of stories to tell.
Zanette Easton
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well told tale!

at first I wondered if all the 5 star reviews were valid. Having completed the book, I see they truly are warranted. Well developed characters, detailed story and plenty of background and secrets. Excellently crafted story that will make you want to continue the series. Well done!
Kawana Printup
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love

Come thru Mrs. Keys with this romance! Loved every page. The writing really had me imagining being present during that time period. Can’t wait to read the next novel in the series.
Tosin King
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love historical romance

I have not read a good historical romance in a while. This is one of the best that I have read. There was a lot of drama, suspense, and romance. A solid 5 start novel.
Anita
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I truly think this was a beautiful written book. The author brought the time and characters to life. There was a growth to the story and the characters that pulled me along with them.
Toussaint.managementgmail.com
Love our history

Loved the story Arc and character development. I'm a fan
This was not what I expected but I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of the story although it was clearly a romance
Rosalee Connell
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read black historical romance

Excellent plot. Except for a few typos really captivating. Loved the characters. Would have loved to see James come around. A bit sad on that end.
Carolyn
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good story.
marva huggins
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the plot and story

I have nothing else to say. Why do we have to have a story after reading s story.
It was good that is it...

kimberly nickerson
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story

This was such a sweet story. I loved it. If you want to read about a sweet romance, Read this book.
Roxy
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book was absolutly wonderful
Marilyn
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good

This book is one that goes back in history when black people were still having problems with against there race.
Valerie
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read! Loved that it was set in the flapper era...the first romance that I’ve read in this setting.
sharon brawley
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Eve of Our September

Wow that was awesome book it was worth more. Edyty that girl went thru so much. She was tormented as a child she really though that food was her source,she just want her pear to like her her father want his daughter to fit in by going to some balls but she was having that she tried her best to destroy it by put that paper in to late above the date/ but her father had other plan,but I n the end she did fine happiest I can't tell u everything u have to read for yourselves.
Phyllis Elaine Davis
Sep 06, 2019
Val
Sep 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dancing with the Enemy (Boston General Hospital, Book 1)
  • A Bit of Heaven on Earth
  • His Bluestocking Bride  (Branches of Love #3)
  • Tempting Juliana (Regency Chase Family, #2)
  • The Dashing Widow (Regency Romps, #1)
  • A Rake's Redemption
  • Through the Woods (Love Thy Neighbor #1)
  • The Treasure Bride (Gold Coast Brides Book 1)
  • An Affair in Winter (Seasons, #1)
  • Flame and Ember (Regency Love #1)
  • The Mesmerist (The Hope Chest #1)
  • Alex (In the Company of Snipers, #1)
  • A Taste of Seduction (An Unlikely Husband #1)
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • The Love List (Half Moon House #1)
  • All the Little Things
  • Walking the Dawg (Love Thy Neighbor #2)
  • Once Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #1)