Start by marking “Windcatcher (Stone War Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Windcatcher (Stone War Chronicles, #1)

Read Book

Windcatcher (Stone War Chronicles #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Far away from home, under the command of his brother, Raylan and his squad must retrieve an ancient relic stolen from their kingdom’s trading partner—the Tiankong Empire.

Traveling deep into unknown enemy territory to complete their mission, Raylan learns that the ancient relic holds unexpected life; a creature buried in legends, one not seen in their world for more than t
Published February 29th 2016 by LowSea Publishing (first published October 30th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Windcatcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Windcatcher

Dianne
Prepare to leave the mundane world behind and set out on a quest to retrieve a stolen, ancient relic. Follow along as author A.J. Norfield deftly builds his world, one filled with ominous beasts, treachery and danger at every turn as they bring back the relic only to discover that ancient myths and legends are true and that this relic is the bearer of a life long thought gone from the face of the world. The relic? A dragon egg, its hidden prize? A dragon, long thought extinct.

Now a young fledgl
Meggy
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Many of my friends love fantasy, and thanks to them, I was introduced to the genre, its rules and some of its creatures. This is why I agreed to review WindCatcher. That and the fact the author gave me the image of my dog and myself on an epic adventure through dangerous lands! Who could resist to the idea?

I can't say the opening doesn't know how to grab your attention! I was not expecting anything in particular so when the action started before I reached the 5% mark, I was surprised but interes

Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers, dragon enthusiasts
This book was one action packed moment after the next and that is no lie!

We begin the story with a wonderful prologue which gives insight to the importance of the main focus of this tale, which is an ancient relic. It is protected within a monastery and hidden away, until something horrible happens and it is stolen.

Once we hit the first chapter we meet Raylan, who is a soldier beneath his older brother Gavin's command. We are introduced to them at length, which allows us to become invested in th
❤Bibi's Book Blog❤
Well holy freaking moly, batman! What an intense and epic journey I've just been part of! I was approached by A.J. Norfield who offered to send me a free copy of his book, in exchange for my honest review. When I saw on Goodreads, that readers compared this book, to the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini, even this romance fanatic couldn't say no to some epic fantasy. And I'm not sorry I did!

I'll be honest and say that the first 30% did drag for me, and I was ready to give up on more occas
Barbara Underwood
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Windcatcher is a must-read for dragon-lovers of all ages, and while I have not read enough similar Fantasy books about dragons to compare, I feel confident that The Windcatcher is up there with the best of its kind. The author’s skill in describing action scenes is particularly impressive, and there is a good balance of personal relationships, good and bad human nature, and a satisfying amount of escapism in the form of the dragon and the Stone King with his minions.
One of the aspects I fou
Jonel Boyko
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kobo
This is the most epic debut novel that I’ve read in a long, long while. This novel starts with a bang and keeps on going the whole way through. Norfield’s active writing style fits perfectly with the tale at hand. His voice flows and morphs to highlight the current events of the tale while always remaining enchanting. Norfield pens intricate and vivid action sequences without being too gory then switches to picturesque travelling scenes that were absolutely breathtaking.

I love the history and my
Scott  Hitchcock
Aug 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, abandoned-series
Sadly I had to DNF this one 15% in. I like looking for hidden gems and have done really well with books that at the time didn't have a lot of reviews but the ones which were out there were all high. Dawn of Wonder and Second Cataclysm being two of the better successes. I hadn't read anything featuring dragons in a while and the book description and review dragged me in. Sadly it just read like a paper I would write for English Lit and I couldn't power my way through.
Josh Courteau
Beginning a journey should always be this rewarding!
I knew that this was a work in progress, book two wasn't event started when I read Windcatcher, but at the close of book one I was wishing I had book two already downloaded!
This fantasy epic takes you through a land apart from reality but one familiar enough that you are not confused or left to wander in story for story's sake. This action is fast and engaging throughout and this iteration of 'dragon myth' is one of the best and most thought o
Amanda Lyles
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started out a bit slow but the pace picked up very quickly and then was nonstop. Once Galirras was introduced it reminded me a little of Eragon, though everyone adjusted better to Galirras than they did to Saphira. The world building was vivid and well done. I had no trouble picturing their world in my mind. I loved the descriptions of them climbing and the sand creatures. The bad guys were very bad. I was a little surprised at how bad they were. Usually the things they do get glossed over or ...more
Winter Sophia Rose
Gripping, Action Packed, Twists, Intricate, Engaging, Memorable & Unique! An Exciting Read! I Loved It!
Lenita Sheridan
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has parts that are extremely exciting, and where it's not exciting it's at least interesting. The author is inventive in his creation of evil and good creatures. The only reason this is four stars instead of five is that the author gives wolves a bad name in his treatment of them. As a person from Alaska, I object to wolves being depicted as menacing animals. In real life they have never attacked and killed a human being (at least not in North America). Even though this is a fantasy, i ...more
Tania
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I surprisingly really enjoyed this book. It was a recommendation from a friend, which doesn't often work out, which is why I was surprised. It started off a bit slow in the beginning, which is understandable as the author had to present this new world for us, but once it got going, I had trouble putting it down! I would have finished the book sooner if I didn't have a six-month-old baby. ;)
What a great adventure story, with lots of action! I really connected with the characters, especially Rayl
Elisabeth Hunt
What a great start - excited to see more books in the series. Watching the dragon grow is wonderful and the scope of the adventure increases page by page.

The author does a fine job of getting you invested in the characters and their story, then takes your breath away as they face peril after peril. Part of why you'll love the characters is how they manage to overcome obstacles in clever ways.

The only bad thing is the wait for the next book in the story.
Meels
I really enjoyed this story. The characters are strong, and I was able to become attached to and invested in them. Yes, I enjoyed it very much and hope to read on.

An author who can make me care enough to laugh and/or cry has done their job! :)
David Baird
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Windcatcher is Book I of the Stone War Chronicles.

I’m a big fan of epic fantasy novels and this one ticks all the boxes and more.

The story is written well with a decent page count and the perfect amount of detail when it’s needed. The pace of the book is perfect for all types of readers in my opinion..it’s slow enough for new readers to get immersed in Norfield’s world without be overwhelmed but for the more avid readers it moves fast enough to keep the story flowing well and has the build-up yo
Jake Swartz
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5

A great first book. Reminiscent of Eragon and the Temeraire series, Norfield has introduced me to world I can't wait to further immerse myself into. This book was hard to put down, from start to finish he had my attention.

Some of the dialogue seemed staged or clunky at times and there was some over explaining of plans and characters thought processes, which I tend to see in YA books. Without that my rating would have been 5/5

I look forward to seeing what more will come from this aut
Timy
This review contains spoiler!

Okay people, paint me impressed. I'm not that much familiar with dragons, but as far as my experience goes, this book was a pretty good one. I loved how Galirras grew up during the story, how much he learned about himself and the world. And that he used air instead of fire. I loved the forest settlement too, where people walked on trees. I would have been frightened to do so, but the concept is awesome!

The characters were well built, the pace was good, there wasn't
Lynda Lacasse
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read!

This was a fun read, and I enjoyed the characters a great deal. Loves the sweet dragon and his companion Raylan, and of course, found myself rooting for them against the evil Corza. I took away a star only because there were several errors that need to be cleaned up. I'm definitely planning to read Book II.
Jane
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love fantasy novels involving dragons and enjoyed Windcatcher, the first book in the Stone War Chronicles, by A.J. Norfield. Windcatcher is an old-fashioned (in the best sense) traditional fantasy dragon novel. A small squad of soldiers travels deep into enemy territory in an attempt to retrieve a treasure stolen from their kingdom’s ally. The treasure turns out to be something thought to exist only in legends – a dragon egg. He hatches, bonds with one of the soldiers, and becomes an ally in t ...more
E.A. Turley
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Windcatcher Book 1 of the Stone War Chronicles by A.J. Norfield.

This is a very entertaining story of an egg, a man, and a tyrant wanting to steal something that isn't his.
When foreign soldiers invade a monastery that houses the most sacred relic of an old empire, taking it, the Emperor sends out an emissary to the neighboring kingdom of Aeterra asking for help to get it back.
Raylan and his older brother Gavin, along with a small troop of men, are dispatched to intercept the thieves and retrieve
kathy bracy
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a fast paced adventure story. a team is sent to retrieve a stolen object. part of the team are two brothers Gavin and raylan. I loved the interaction and sibling rivalry between the brothers. the team are deep in enemy territory when they find the missing object, a dragon egg, the ONLY dragon egg. the dragonet gilarris is immensely appealing as a character. he bonds with raylan and they can communicate telepathically.

not since the dragon books of the late Anne McCaffrey have I been so drawn to
Awallens
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit when I started this book, I wasn't sure about it. But after the first few chapters, I was hooked. The characters were so well done, and the action was nonstop to the last page, literally. I actually found myself holding my breath several times and once when the characters were in danger, I found myself pleading they would be OK. All I have to say is if you like well-drawn characters you are going to root for, give this book a shot. I can't wait for the next in this series. It nee ...more
Aug 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
*Disclaimer* I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
I really wanted to like this book.
This is the opening book in a large epic fantasy story with dragons which really should be completely my wheelhouse but I found the experience jarring and tedious at the same time.
My main issue that I just could not get past was the author trying to world build with a ridiculous amount of exposition shoe horned into the plot. I understand that Norfield has this entire world
Rosie Rizk
I wanted to like it. It's a self published fantasy, and I've come across a lot of fantastic ones lately, but unfortunately, as I dragged myself through the book in hopes of it suddenly changing into a better read, it just never happened.

There were several good ideas in here - between the plot, and beings like dragons and golems, and once or twice, some really good character bits. But it was mixed in with awkward prose, which was bogged down with too many unnecessary backstory details. I didn't
Ben Fleming
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norfield builds the characters and scenery into a compelling narrative.
Christie
I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This book gets started running and doesn't ever slow down. I enjoyed the fast pace of the book, mixed with the various twists and turns that occurred. The plot was solid and although we missed out on a lot of world-building as we only followed the main characters journeys, there was enough to make the fantasy world vast and interesting. The author keeps things fairly clean cut, good guys versus bad guys, which I think
Denae Christine
Made it over 30%, but some of that was skimming. I liked the idea, but the wasn't going where I wanted it to, to the things I was curious about. For instance, the egg hadn't hatched yet. The setting wasn't interesting to me (and there was very little culture mentioned). The magic was not fascinating, either (can turn creatures into moving statues, cool, but only the bad guys can do that, and it seems to involve losing your soul).
The main reason I stopped was because (view spoiler)
A. Aaroones)
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Windcatcher: Stone War Chronicles - Book 1" captured my attention from beginning to end. Many times fantasy, especially with delicate cultural topics, can end up being poorly researched and written, but this was not the case with this novel. Instead, author A.J. Norfield had a strong grip on his story and the cultural aspects that it involved. While reading the novel I felt that I could visualize the setting of the story through his descriptions and his own mind's eye. None of the descriptions ...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
When an ancient sacred relic is stolen from Tiankong Empire. Xi'Lao Wèn is tasked with recovering the relic. She asks Aeterra for their help. Raylan always admired his older brother Gavin's drive to protect those around him. Gavin and he along with several others are assigned to help Xi'Lao Wèn with recovering the relic. The journey to finding the relic is a harsh one yet our heroes succeed in finding the relic. However the relic proves to be something out of legend and myth. What is the sacred ...more
Nicola
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very slow read, had to fight through it, always waited for the action to take off. Also much to much details in the descriptions for my taste. The writing is nothing special either, easy vocabulary and the story is just dragging along. Had the impression it's a bunch of kids on an adventure tour that then get in conflict with cruel and violent adults.
I think that could have been a real good one for me but no.
  • A Mermaid's Bond (A Demon Paradise Novel, #2)
  • The Magic Ring
  • The Prophecy (A Dragon's Tale, #1)
  • Dragon's Heir (Dragon Courage, #2)
  • Dragon Mound (Knight in Shadow, #1)
  • Forest of Wonders (Wing & Claw #1)
  • Soul Ink (Grimm Agency, #1.5)
  • The Shattered Vine (Vineart War #3)
  • 1140 Rue Royale (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • Priestess of the Dragons' Temple (Anamat #2)
  • The History of Middle Earth Index (The History of Middle-Earth, #13)
  • The Emperor of the Eight Islands (Tale of Shikanoko, #1)
  • Greatshadow (Dragon Apocalypse, #1)
  • Bentwhistle the Dragon in A Threat from the Past
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Seide und Schwert (Wolkenvolk-Trilogie, #1)
  • Blood of Thieves (The Riyria Chronicles, #1-2)

PURCHASE BOOKS:

Or visit your own preferred ebook store for Windcatcher's listing.

About me:
A.J. Norfield lives with his loving family on land, but below sea level. He tries not to worry too much about climate change and the melting of the polar ice caps. His wife, and two rascals of children, keep him engaged and grounded in life, as he writes the nights away.

Whilst he is a long time stor
More about A.J. Norfield

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99