Start by marking “Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)” as Want to Read:
Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)

Penric's Demon

(Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) #1)

On his way to his betrothal, young Lord Penric comes upon a riding accident with an elderly lady on the ground, her maidservant and guardsmen distraught. As he approaches to help, he discovers that the lady is a Temple divine, servant to the five gods of this world. Her avowed god is The Bastard, "master of all disasters out of season", and with her dying breath she ...more
Published May 2016 by Subterranean Press (first published July 6th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Penric's Demon, please sign up.
Nirkatze Chronologically, Penric's Demon takes place 100 years or so after the events in The Hallowed Hunt. Furthermore, the "Demon" is the same demon that a…moreChronologically, Penric's Demon takes place 100 years or so after the events in The Hallowed Hunt. Furthermore, the "Demon" is the same demon that a side-character in Hallowed Hunt possessed, so it's a nice connection to have. Also, I found Hallowed Hunt to be a good introduction to the world itself. The other Penric tales follow in order, and the Chalion two take place long after.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mitali
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Penric's Demon (Penric and Desdemona, #1)
Bradley
I can honestly say that I enjoyed this novella set in the Chalion universe more than all the other tales so far. It's a simple one about a boy landing into trouble and making good by it as well as the solid start to the rest of his life, like all coming of age stories, but this one highlights and shines the peculiar nature of the spirits and of magic in Bujold's universe.

There's no real meandering. This is a short but very beautifully executed tale that surprised tears out of my eyes by the last
Emma
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! I’ve only read one other book by this author and that was part of her sci fi series. But at heart I am a fantasy fan and this was terrific. It reminds me of ‘A Skinful of Shadows’ in terms of how the demon possession works. I’m really looking forward to reading the rest of these novellas.
Sherwood Smith
I've been saving this for the right time, which seemed to be today. Because I love the Chalion books as much as I love Miles and Company, I knew I would plunge happily into this world again, and this lovely novella fulfilled all expectations.

The voice is perfect for a hapless young man who has not discovered his own depths, full of humor with tender moments, tense moments, and the flash of the numinous that I so love in these particular books.

My only complaint is that it left me craving more set
Gavin
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Penric's Demon is the first in a series of novellas set in Lois McMaster Bujold's World of the Five Gods series. If this first outing for Penric and Desdemona, his demon, is anything to go by then this series is going to be every bit as good as the fantastic Curse of Chalion. This followed the story of young Lord Penric who contracted a demon after stopping in the road to help an injured Temple Divine. That Temple Divine was a sorcerer and after she died her demon jumped to the unwary Penric!

I
Althea Ann
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, old-fashioned fantasy that'll leave a smile on your face.

'Penric's Demon' brings us back to the world of the Chalion books, but it's a stand-alone story. While on his way to his betrothal, a young man encounters an elderly woman on the road who's been taken ill. He stops to see if he can assist, but she's just had a heart attack, and dies in his arms. Significantly, she was no average woman, but a Learned Sorceress, and upon her death, her 'demon' transfers into Penric's body. The 'demon'
Allison
Novellas are always a bit tricky for me. It's hard to get invested in something so short. Given how short it is, this one took its time to get going. The first half is slow. But once it started moving, I remembered why I love this world. I'm hoping the next one will be better because half of it won't be taken up with Penric learning what it means to be a sorcerer. I like both him and his demon though. Looking forward to reading more about them.
Stephanie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deliciously fun, and I think it would probably work fine as a standalone - but reading it made me want to re-read the whole World of 5 Gods (Chalion) series all over again! (It's one of my very favorite fantasy series ever, so I've re-read all three full-length books in the series many times already...and will many times again! PALADIN OF SOULS, in particular, is one of my favorite fantasy novels ever - but they're all wonderful.) Penric is a wonderful hero - sweet, thoughtful, deeply ethical, ...more
Rachel (Kalanadi)
2nd read, this time on audio: Still love Penric to bits!

A fantastic mini-episode in the Chalion/World of the Five Gods series. In internal chronological order, this comes before The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, but I think I enjoyed it more and understood what was going on with the demons / influence of the gods because I had read the other books first. Penric is a naive country bumpkin lord, with a good heart, and I appreciate a story that rewards the honesty and goodness of a
Peter Huebner
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel very ambivalent about this novella. I was jubilant to see a new book out by Ms. McMaster Bujold. She is one of my very favourite authors. As per expectation, the writing is brilliant, engaging, immersive, well edited. A shoo-in for a 5 star rating.

Unfortunately when I bought it on Amazon it was not made obvious that I was looking at a novella (not that that would've deterred me in the slightest - this author's novellas are a better read than other authors' tomes) but, in this case, when
Conor
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This pretty much lived up to what I hoped it would be exactly: A fun fast-paced read with lots of adventure and humor and a bit of action.

Full review to come...
Jacob Proffitt
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, fantasy
I've been putting this off for a while now because . . . I don't honestly know why. Mood or stupidity, probably. Or both. Finally, I noticed that it's part of the Audible Romance Subscription, for whatever reason (it's not a romance, not even a little) and I couldn't resist.

Anyway, it's Bujold, so you know it's going to be good. And it is. It's short but Bujold still takes the time to establish the setting, characters, and plot. For most of the story, it's pretty leisurely (though very
Olga Godim
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
After a string of DNFs, this little gem was a pleasure to read. Set in a fantasy world, it tells a story of a young naive man Penric, a nineteen-year-old lordling from an impoverished noble family, accidentally acquiring a demon.
For those unfamiliar with Bujold’s fantasy realm, a note of explanation: demons are not evil creatures. They are sentient spirits able to reside in a human body and share that body with its human owner. It’s the only way for a demon to exist in the human world, and they
Allison Hurd
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fem-author, fantasy
Okay, my friend Anna was right, I am glad I gave this a shot.

I have not been successful in enjoying LMB books so far, but this one was everything I'd been promised: funny, cute, swashbuckle-y, lots of cool magic.

No creepy age differences, no dubious consent, no horrific sado-masochism.

It's quite short, so I won't do my normal break down. It's a fun short story about a boy whose fate is changed when he meets a woman or 12, and befriends them/her.

Very similar to "Curse of Chalion" in the feel of
Robin Bonne
Why haven’t I ever read any Lois McMaster Bujold before now? I finally understand why she is referred to as a scifi/fantasy master.

I got this out from the library on a whim, as I was feeling like escaping from the gloomy January weather into a fantasy world. This novella delivered more than I was expecting. The characters were intricate, but not overwritten. The story had all the adventure I was craving.

It is about time I investigate the rest of this author’s books.
OhWell
A little gem with highly likable characters, an engaging storyline, some hilarious moments, and an "Aww..." ending. The only caveat: you have to be familiar with the World of the Five Gods to get the most out of it.
Ashley
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it boring of me that I like this the best of all the Hugo novellas so far because it's just a straight up fantasy, well done? Stylistic risks can pay off big time, but they can also go horribly wrong for a reader. This was just good. I hope she writes more about Penric and Desdemona. I'd be really interested to see where they end up.
Joseph
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In which I am reminded that I have read very little Bujold, and this is a deep, personal moral failing on my part.

So Penric is the younger son of a rural noble family, about to get married and shuffled off into obscurity when, by chance, he finds himself possessed by, or possessed of, a demon (that being how sorcerers work in this world; they're "ridden" by demons who can help them perform magic). In short order, he finds himself sent off to the big city where complications ensue as he & the
Emily
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-own-it, fantasy
Bujold is the author of my favorite sci-fi series, but I have found her fantasy books to be hit or miss. I did like some of the Challion books, so I thought I'd give her novellas set in the same world a try. I did enjoy this one, but as is the nature of novellas - it was too short!
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/09/30/...

It’s always a pleasure to return to Lois McMaster Bujold’s World of the Five Gods, which is also the setting of her books like The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls—two of my favorite novels of all time. There’s just so much to love about this world, not least of all the phenomenal world-building featuring some of the richest lore and history I’ve ever encountered in the fantasy genre. One thing of note is the major
Kaje Harper
The first two books of this series are two of my all-time favorites, from one of my very favorite authors. I'd urge any fantasy-lover who has not read The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls to do so. Paladin in particular has a middle-aged female heroine with courage, wit, strength, integrity, a difficult past and very human flaws. So rare.

This short story is set in the same universe. It's brief, fun, with moments of warmth and humor, and a little bit of adventure. Penric begins the story as
Beth Cato
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasy, novella
I read this as part of the Hugo finalist packet. I knew nothing about the novella before starting to read, and I was absolutely delighted to realize it was set in the same world as The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls, two of my favorite books! That sent my expectations soaring, and the story absolutely lived up to it. This was a cozy fantasy read for me: fast paced, great and relatable characters, and very nuanced and unique portrayal of a demon. I couldn't help but smile at the end, even ...more
Roslyn
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first of three novellas set in the Five Worlds universe. Like the novels before it, it has world building, characters and writing that are just superb. I particularly enjoy the way Bujold is able to create not just a perfectly congruent religion with its own culture but to also actually portray a sense of the numinous, with a dash of humour mixed in. This is wonderful - a sheer delight. And there are two more novellas to follow - what joy!
Lukasz
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 4.5/5

Good folks from r/fantasy recommended me Penric's Demon as a short palate cleaner between longer and more engaging books. They were right. It's excellent novella that made me realize that my fantasy classics repertoire is full of holes. If Bujold writes this way and maintains quality, I need to read more of her books.

Lord Penric's life is radically altered on his way to his betrothal. On his way to the ceremony, he offers assistance to a dying Temple Divine. As she passes
Bogdan
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novella
I must admitt that I don't remember much from the novels of this Universe, but this is quite standalone, so no sweat there.

The characters are nicely made, but the story could've been much better than it is.

Maybe the story wasn't so fresh for me because this ideea of a man possesed by a demon I just encountered in the brilliant novels of Phil Tucker. So, maybe there's the catch .

Overall it offers some good quality hours of fantasy reading. And now I'm going to the second one in the series.
Tina
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I liked this one.

It a novella set in the world of her Chalion series. In this one a young man named Pen is on his way to his wedding and, through a series of unfortunate events, finds himself possessed of a Demon.

If you are familiar with this world & its religious mythology and especially Paladin of Souls, then you immediately get the potential problem.

Demons are under the domain of the fifth God, the Bastard. If they escape from his realm into the real world, they need to possess
Kathleen
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read all 7 Penric and Des novellas. They all get 3-4 stars. Good entertainment. Penric and his demon Desdemona are likable protagonists, but they do become quite predictable by book 3. My favorite is book 7, Penric and the Orphans.

Bujold self-published this book in the World of 5 Gods series. It's a novella, 100-some pages. I enjoyed her full length novels set in this same Mediterranean-style fantasy world, including The Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls.

Ps. I still like her Vorkosigan
Soorya
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Thoroughly charming story about a guy who’s accidentally possessed by a demon. It’s got a very amiable and cozy feel to it and reminds me quite a bit of Robin Hobb. I could read a lot more of this.

In fact my only problem is that it feels too short - I really want more. By the end I became quite fond of Penric and Desdemona and wanted to see more of the world… and then it stopped. Grr.

Curse of Chalion, here I come. (Or I would, except I’ve got a lot more Hugo reading to do). Oh and speaking of
Liviu
easy, fun and entertaining after a fairly slow beginning; while it is set in the 5 world god universe in between the author's famous 3 novels there (Curse of Chalion etc - all highly recommended), you don't need to have read the novels (or remember too many details); the naive but charming main character and his newly acquired companion "Desdemona" get used with one another and have a few adventures together; good stopping point and book 2 with Penric is out now
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh that was splendid. I enjoyed this story very much, and hope for more in the Future Adventures of Penric and his Demon, very much so.
Leseparatist
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, owned
What a great way to begin my reading year!

Bujold has become so much of a comfort reading. Even when I read a new book of hers, I settle down into a familiar world and rhythm quickly. Penric is not a very eventful or complicated read, but its characters are instantly likable, kind and pleasant to follow. I chuckled more than a little, reading this, and can't wait to get round to the next volumes. I think I will try to pace myself, though.

(The ending in particular was so emotionally satisfying!)
Flights of Fantasy: Penric and Desdemona - Lois McMaster Bujold 5 14 Aug 24, 2017 12:42PM
Lois McMaster Buj...: New Bujold Novella - Penric's Demon 3 28 Mar 03, 2016 09:33PM

• Minor Mage
  • The Wonder Engine (Clocktaur War #2)
  • Clockwork Boys (Clocktaur War, #1)
  • The Raven Tower
  • The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • Swordheart
  • Od Magic
  • The Death of the Necromancer (Ile-Rien, #2)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • The Jewel and Her Lapidary (Gemworld #1)
  • Part-Time Gods (DFZ #2)
  • Wheel of the Infinite
  • The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1)
  • The Wizard Hunters (The Fall of Ile-Rien, #1)
  • A Taste of Honey
  • The Mortal Edge (Hawthorn House, #2)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially

Penric and Desdemona (Publication order) (7 books)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Penric’s Mission (Penric and Desdemona, #3)
  • Mira's Last Dance (Penric and Desdemona, #4)
  • Penric's Fox (Penric and Desdemona, #5)
  • The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
“It indicates a deep confusion of thinking to mistake one's own discomfort for a benefit to another.” 4 likes
“How hard could husbanding be? Don’t drink, don’t gamble, don’t bring hunting dogs to the table. Don’t be terrified of tooth-drawers. Don’t be stupid about money. Don’t go for a soldier. No hitting girls. He wasn’t drawn to violate any of these prohibitions. Assuming older sisters weren’t classified as girls. Maybe make that, No hitting girls first.” 4 likes