Start by marking “Singing and Making Music: Issues in Church Music Today” as Want to Read:
Singing and Making Music: Issues in Church Music Today

Singing and Making Music: Issues in Church Music Today

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Thirty-three provocative essays on corporate worship, hymnody and psalmody, issues, and composers and composition. Explores Scripture teaching on the role of music in the church.
Published February 24th 2006 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Singing and Making Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singing and Making Music

Connor Longaphie
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I felt as though this dealt far less with issues in church music in the modern age than it does with how to write a hymn. I thought that was strange. But it wasn't a total waste of my time.
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was difficult to rate. Paul Jones is clearly qualified as a church musician because of his experience as the lead musician at the 10th Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. His interaction with men like James Montgomery Boice also add to his ability to converse on the theology of worship. Jones writes for both the layman and the accomplished musician. And so, depending on your level of expertise, the relevance will be evidently clear. That being said, his discussion of the theology of c ...more
Robert Murphy
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I was lent this book by a friend because I'd sung several of the hymns the author has written with J.M. Boice. Being in a liturgy class this semester, I think my view of this book is significantly different than it would've been. I come from a very SATB/four-part harmony/organ/hymnal/psalter-kind of church background and so does Paul Jones. His defense of classical-music-based worship, however, seems very narrow to me now. His arguments all assume an upper-crust, white, rich, presbyterian cultur ...more
Apr 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Church musicians
Church musicians should read this book - a good overview on the philosophy/theology of church music as well as practical chapters on the musicians actual ministry in the church, and interesting historical chapters on hymns and Christan classical musicians as well. Not for the general reader, obviously. (Just to note: Jones is very classical in his approach to worship, so in some areas I disagree with how his accurate theology plays out specifically in worship)
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was quite enlightening about the issues in music for the use of worship. I have learned quite a bit about issues in music in general since I read the book, and it provides a good Biblical reasons for performing music in a certain way during a worship service and outside of a worship service.
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is very technical and difficult to read through. I think that, for me, it will go back on my shelf and function as a reference book that I can go to from time to time. I did a lot of skimming because much of the information was not what I was interested in reading.
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
It was a fairly good book. I got a little annoyed at his anti-accompaniment track music, but overall he has a lot of good things to say about church music as a protestant presbyterian.
Brittany Petruzzi
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
An excellent and encouraging work, even if the last section got a little bogged down with technical jargon. Still: Read it.
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although written from a different cultural and ecclesiastical background to my own, I found this book to be a valuable work, giving much food for thought. A must-read for every church leader.
Aug 27, 2012