Start by marking “Gold Rush” as Want to Read:
Gold Rush

Gold Rush

This is the story of Kazuki, an abused and troubled 14-year-old boy in the poor, crime-ridden Japanese port city of Yokohama, who kills his detached, repulsive father and tries to take over his business. However, he soon becomes all too painfully aware of the consequences of his actions.
Published October 22nd 2003 by Welcome Rain Publishers (first published November 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Gold Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gold Rush

Start your review of Gold Rush
Paul Ataua
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
At 14, rich and troubled Kazuki spends his days and nights wandering the darker side of his city with friends, taking drugs, and getting up to no good. Bad turns to worse and it finally leads to him killing his own father and trying to take over his illegal empire. ‘ Gold Rush’ promised much but didn’t deliver for me. There just wasn’t enough character development and the story dragged. Half way through I found myself skimming paragraphs and, by the end, I was floating over whole pages. That is ...more
Chris
Jul 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: japanese-fiction
this book fails on many levels. the characters are unrealistic and impossible to identify with. the events are scattered and unimportant. the settings are badly displayed and the overall tone of the book lacks depth, quality, and wit. the book is slip-shod at best. it could be that the translation is poor, but i don't think so. then again, i haven't yet read anything else by this translator, so i'm not 100% sure.

anyway, don't bother.
Anna Prejanò
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ritratto appassionato e allucinato di un ingenuo assassino quattordicenne. Un bellissimo libro, al quale non do il massimo solo per il finale, che avrei voluto più crudele. Bellissimo anche per la descrizione di ambienti e situazioni: memorabili la scena del funerale e quella del negozio di arredi funebri. Colpisce lo stile, originale mix di realismo e lirismo immaginifico.
Sofia
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Прочитала в русском переводе И.Мельниковой. Читается легко. Но чтиво непростое, вообще многое из современной японской литературы довольно сложно читать. Говорят, что авторы пытаются разбудить спокойное общество, вызвать на поступки, но неужели для этого лучше всего подходит описание приходов, секса и убийств... Не знаю, не знаю, возможно, просто не вижу той глубины, которую видит японский читатель.
Daan
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Niet uitgelezen.
Eileen
Sep 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asia, translation
Fantastic, brutal work. Kazuki is a homicidal Holden Caulfield (note: I HATED Catcher in the Rye but Yū actually pulls it off) in a depressing wasteland of a city, trying to wrest some control of his life out of the amoral chaos around him. Unfortunately, he's had no adult guidance beyond the prostitutes and gangsters he visits on his wanderings into the slums, which, along with his wealthy background, gives Kazuki a pathologically inflated sense of his own competence and authority. The result is a ...more
Trish
Mar 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a while in the beginning to really get into the gist of the book. Overall, the twisted scenarios is what glued me to finish till the end. The description of each scene has given me an in-depth feel to the main character, Kazuki. To be 14 years old and have the world at your leisure seems to be the life for most teenagers. To gain so much by eliminating your "threat" but its the consequences you have to face for that elimination. It was an interesting read and I am looking forward to finding ...more
Miki
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Goodreads' rating system doesn't capture how I feel about this book. I wouldn't necessarily say that I "liked" or "really liked" Miri Yu's "Good Rush." This book is heavy with disturbing scenes and imagery and I would not recommend for those faint of heart. For me personally, after finishing I wanted to watch funny YouTube videos to lift up my spirits...

I would; however, recommend "Gold Rush" as a good introduction to Japan--not a charming Miyazaki-esque or a glamorized Japan--but a
Alessandro Margheriti
Mi ha colpito molto, questo libro.
Molto pulp e visionario, ma nello stesso tempo molto legato alla realtà.
Ed è una realtà drammatica, fatta di stupri, violenze, denaro e potere, e che manca di stabilità, protezione e legami affettivi.
E come il protagonista imparerà a sue spese, tutto questo non è un videogame, un role-play, perché non ci sono regole per vincere, trucchi o manuali sulle strategie da adottare.
Zutsuu
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-manga
I bought this book when I was in my 1st year of university. More than 6 years passed and tbh, I felt that I would have enjoyed this book when I read it back then as soon as when I purchased it. There were just so many thoughts and happenings in this book which I believe I would have related too if I were much much younger.
Sae-chan
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japanese-writers
Contrary to the title, there was nothing golden, nothing rushing. The story oozed like gooey slick black oil. Slowly, quietly, staining everything it came in contact with.

But indeed, it was gold rush. Funny how gold seems to demand the very core of human being in exchange of its glory.
I found it impossible to identity with or care about any of the characters in this book. It just seemed kind of pointless, and not in an enjoyable way, just blah. It sort of brought to mind a bad Tarantino film in book form, where it's supposed merit lies in how shocking it can be.
Cristian
Abbandonato.
Un genere a cui purtroppo non riesco a star dietro.
Sara
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E' proprio un libro che ti schiaffeggia dall'inizio alla fine.
Miss Susan
Nov 01, 2012 marked it as to-read
Man this sounds creepy. I've got to remember it exists the next time I'm in the mood for that.
Tuck
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
brutal, beautiful psychological novel of japan
Selene
Jul 24, 2016
Daniele Pace
Aug 04, 2014
Penbot
rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Walk Through Walls: A Memoir
  • Hamlet, Prince of Denmark
  • Cathedral
  • The Light Brigade
  • Teatro Grottesco
  • Manazuru
  • Der nasse Fisch (Gereon Rath, #1)
  • I Hear Your Voice
  • Late Migrations: A Natural History of Love and Loss
  • Who Let the Gods Out? (Who Let the Gods Out?, #1)
  • Adèle
  • The Wandering Earth
  • The Cherry Orchard
  • Johnny Got His Gun
  • An Occupied Grave (A Brock & Poole Mystery, #1)
  • 騎士団長殺し―第2部 遷ろうメタファー編―
  • No Longer Human
  • Herr Nakano und die Frauen
Yu Miri is a Zainichi Korean playwright, novelist, and essayist. Yu writes in Japanese, her native language, but is a citizen of South Korea.

Yu was born in Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan, to Korean parents. After dropping out of the Kanagawa Kyoritsu Gakuen high school, she joined the Tokyo Kid Brothers (東京キッドブラザース) theater troupe and worked as an actress and assistant director.