Start by marking “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (Fantastic Beasts: The Original Screenplay, #1)” as Want to Read:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay

(Fantastic Beasts: The Original Screenplay #1)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  104,746 ratings  ·  7,247 reviews
J.K. Rowling's screenwriting debut is captured in this exciting hardcover edition of the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay.

When Magizoologist Newt Scamander arrives in New York, he intends his stay to be just a brief stopover. However, when his magical case is misplaced and some of Newt's fantastic beasts escape, it spells trouble for everyone…

Fantastic
Published November 18th 2016 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, please sign up.
Cady It most likely is, I mean seriously it's called a "screenplay"
Lisa This is just the screenplay. It's a bit more than just a scrip. It comes a bit closer to being an actual book than the cursed child was.
There is also…more
There is also the little textbook from the hogwarts library that also called fantastic beast and where to find them .It's a really cute book.
Anyhow I think they'll release all the screenplays of the future movies as well :) Atleast I really hope they do.(less)

·  104,746 ratings  ·  7,247 reviews

Start your review of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay (Fantastic Beasts: The Original Screenplay, #1)
Mohammed Arabey

Full of Beasts..

FANTASTIC BEASTS

Set Loose in 1920s New York

FIND THEM ALL

In a thrilling Fantastic Cinematic experience, chilling Soundtrack mixing Hedwig theme with Saw’s Hello Zepp, comes this Fantastic Story

Written by the Queen of Magic, expanding the Huge World she
Maria
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars

“Newt Scamander : "My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice.”

― J.K. Rowling, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay

This is not actually a "book" so I can't really write a review about it but I'll say a few words.

This is a beautifully crafted book with amazing illustrations and a fantastic cover. As a graphic designer student, I always appreciate beautiful artwork throughout books. And I also appreciated the credit that was given to the
Kai
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016, pottershelf
“Will we die, just a little?”

I finally read this! I mean, I've seen it twice (so far) and the script is exactly the same as the film (minus the actors, effects, pictures, etc.), but I 100% enjoyed the experience. It is just amazing to dive into this old/new world, too feel all those feelings again, to fall in love with its characters, to be able to see and know more. Especially after the disappointment of the Cursed Child (where the script sucked, but the play was mindblowing).

About the film:
I
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
After the travesty known as Harry Potter and The Cursed Child, I really needed this adventure.

So here are some reasons why it succeeded where The Cursed Child failed:

1. It’s actually fun

description

The Cursed Child is all so very serious. Granted, Harry’s life has some pretty dark moments, though it always foregrounded by this idea of friendship and love. The Cursed child just felt depressing. This carries with it all the whimsical humour of the earlier Harry Potter books before things became dark and
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
I loved this so much <3 And the book itself was one big work of art! Any word on if the next movie scripts will be released as a book as well?

The hardcover is a bit on the expensive side, but Book Depository has it going for 50% off right now in some countries!
Hannah
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The magic is still there <3

My video review is now up!: https://youtu.be/m-keJpzfFxE
Alejandro
Magical Experience!

This is the screenplay of the film of the same title, don’t confuse with the previously published reference book sharing the same title, and also by J.K. Rowling.

A NEW(T) HERO IN THE WIZARDING WORLD

If I am dreaming, please don’t wake me! Two new books by J.K. Rowling (this one and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child) plus three digital short stories, expanding the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in the same year! Oh, yeah! Wicked! I couldn’t ask for something better!

The
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Newt is obviously meant to be my husband and I'm kind of obsessed with him and everything about this movie/screenplay.
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
I slept on it. I didn't want to write my review right away because I wanted to see if my feelings would calm down. And they did. A little. Otherwise I still feel a longing for more, some kind of happy sadness (yes, I've gone completely insane).

About 15 minutes after finishing the screenplay, still struggling to control myself, I went to my husband and told him that I really need a physical copy. And not only do I need it, but I want it. And it has to be in English because I don't want any
P
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
"Because I like you. Because you’re my friend and I’ll never forget how you helped me, Jacob."

First of all, I really loved the design of this book, especially when you just finished those chapters and saw the pictures of each fantastic beast. I couldn't stop myself from rubbing the cover all the time when I held this book in my hands, it was gorgeous and shining as if I was staring at a piece of art, not a book.

Tell me—has anyone ever believed you when you told them not to worry?

This is
Darth J
I don't care that this is just a script, as with The Cursed Child , because I need to know more about this expansive universe.

We know so little of the American school, Ilvermorny.

But, like others, I hope we are given an in depth view of it as much as Hogwarts. So far, all we really have to go on are the ~leaked~ house animals:
Mansuriah Hassan
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am a HUGE fan of Harry Potter. Even though Harry is not in this story but that doesn't matter because the magic is still beautiful. There are great new characters, story, and of course the fantastic beasts themselves! This is a beautifully published hardback on very nice matte paper with wonderful whimsical line drawings throughout the book. The blue and gold embossed dust jacket is a work of art in itself. For anyone who loves books, this book is a keeper.

This is a screenplay so don't assume
ambsreads
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is the screenplay for the movie. I couldn't find a single difference from the movie I watched yesterday. It was such a detailed script which invited you to follow the storyline closely.

The characters are JK Rowling fantastic and so is the storyline. I don't have much else to say, about the characters or the plot, I'm just so in love with this 1926 spin-off of the Harry Potter world.

A definite must read if you love the Harry Potter series.
Nick
Nov 22, 2018 marked it as to-read
I can't believe I haven't read this yet.
Helena of Eretz ✰
I’m not going to lie…I’m still rather bitter that J.K. Rowling has decided to release only the scripts, rather than taking a little bit more time to develop them into full-length novels, but I guess this assures that nothing shall be cut from the book when the film is made???

Either way, this is one of the attributing factors that has caused J.K. Rowling to take a nosedive down my Favourite Authors list. If Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, and Leigh Bardugo can keep expanding their created worlds,
Bil
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Potterheads
A fantastic addition to the Harry Potter universe. The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them screenplay welcomes you to a new era of magic.

Set in the 1920s at the heart of the wizarding community of New York, J. K. Rowling crafted a refreshing tale with a more mature set of characters yet a lighthearted narrative.

Having watched the film first, I can say that it had an amazing cast. In my opinion, the characters were the strongest element of the script. All of them were beautifully written.
emma
Can you IMAGINE being so mind-numbingly in demand that you're offered money to publish a screenplay you were already paid to write, the screenplay for a movie off which you will still profit, a movie which is inspired by a book you already wrote, a book which is actually just a textbook you mentioned in a series that you already completed, a series that has sold hundreds of millions of copies and spawned its own billion-dollar world of movies?

There is straight up no reason for JK Rowling to not
Mary S. R.
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 BEAST-SIZED STARS! funny, adorable, thrilling, and unputdownable.
“My philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice.”
A screenplay with rich world building and a gripping, hilarious plot (NOT a novel! The format is very different) written by J.K. Rowling (it's not like the Cursed Child).

In Fantastic Beasts, we follow the fictional character and author of the original Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the geeky Newt Scamander, as he looks for magical creatures and gets sucked into
Eleanne
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FIRST OF ALL! CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW CAN I TRAVEL THROUGH TIME AND MARRY NEWT SCAMANDER???

photo tumblr_oh66h3vBSQ1tlman9o5_500_zps9duzva2s.gif

He's so dreamy and cute! *sighs*

photo tumblr_oh5qeoq5Qj1t2eehqo1_500_zps9fpvc0sp.gif

And he has the most wonderful creatures!

photo tumblr_oh5qeoq5Qj1t2eehqo2_1280_zpsefbru2um.gif

I MELT...

photo tumblr_ogwg7qmcRJ1tr15yio1_500_zpsqxawkhb8.gif

I spent 50% of the movie declaring my love for Newt; 15% swooning over his fantastic beasts; 15% saying this movie was perfection; 15% praising J.K Rowling -I love her so much!!!- and the last 15% was all me fangirling over Queenie. She's my hero.

That was 110%. oops. Sorry!

photo tumblr_oh5pyy1o311rszoo3o6_r1_540_zpsixnj3flc.gif

By the end of the movie, I was Pickett, the
AMEERA
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
i loved it and i need the next book now
☙ percy ❧
*thinks about Credence Barebone for 4.3 milliseconds*

shout out to J.K. Rowling for murdering me ever since the age of six, i really appreciate it, plz never stop.
Beth
I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

I absolutely loved this, Newt is literally the most lovable character! It is literally so magical and such a clever concept.

I cannot put into words how excited I was to read this and I can honestly say it did not disappoint me.

AMAZING!
Lauren
I absolutely loved this book!!! It was amazing and it was the perfect way to get another taste of the wizarding world. I don’t even know where to start. This book is based in the 1920s which is many many years before the time of Harry Potter. It was also based in America! Both these things gave us an insight into how everything was many years before and in a different country. The entire storyline was perfect and I wish that it was a proper book with more detail.

I watched the movie before the
Elena
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the film, only better in some parts.
Barbara
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it

This screenplay for the film "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" (a prequel to the Harry Potter books) is humorous and entertaining.

The story: It's 1926 and Newt Scamander, a magizoologist, arrives in New York City with a case full of magical creatures. Inadvertently, Newt steps into a sea of trouble.

The notorious dark wizard Gellert Grindelwald has been causing havoc all over the world, raising fears that 'no-mags' (muggles) will learn there are witches and wizards in their midst.

Thus
Ashley Nuckles
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first time I've ever actually read a screenplay and WOW this will not be the last! Seriously enchanting!
Taylor Knight
Even though I was super excited about the Fantastic Beasts movie, I also was a bit hesitant. It's not a secret that I loathed The Cursed Child and I had lost a bit of faith in the wizarding world.
However, Fantastic Beasts (both the movie and screenplay) reminded me of why I love J.K. Rowling's wizarding world so much.

I was very excited to see the wizarding community in America and to see the differences between the two cultures. I loved being able to see the wizarding community in a way that we
Calista
This is a script in book form of the movie by the same name. It is interesting and pretty cool to see how a script is written, to read it and then see how that translates to the screen. There aren't as many descriptions, or inner dialogue. We see what they say and do and then we can also read J. K. write about the magic that is happening. I actually like this medium. This is the 2nd script I've read. So, this is what an actor would see. I think that's pretty neat.

I thought this was a great

• Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two (Harry Potter, #8)
  • Quidditch Through the Ages
  • The Hobbit, Part One
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Harry Potter: the Character Vault
  • Harry Potter: A Journey Through A History of Magic
  • Beauty and the Beast Novelization
  • Inside the Magic: The Making of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • Love and First Sight
  • Harry Potter: A Journey Through Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts (Harry Potter: A Journey Through, #1)