Start by marking “The Remedy: Queer and Trans Voices on Health and Health Care” as Want to Read:
The Remedy: Queer and Trans Voices on Health and Health Care

The Remedy: Queer and Trans Voices on Health and Health Care

Winner, Lambda Literary Award (LGBT Anthology)

The Remedy invites writers and readers to imagine what we need to create healthy, resilient, and thriving LGBTQ communities. This anthology is a diverse collection of real-life stories from queer and trans people on their own health-care experiences and challenges, from gay men living with HIV who remember the systemic
Published November 22nd 2016 by Arsenal Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about The Remedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Remedy

Start your review of The Remedy: Queer and Trans Voices on Health and Health Care
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
This collection held my attention despite the fact that it's about a topic I'm not especially interested in. There are some really great, informative pieces in here, especially on trans health, as well as a few knock out essays on being asexual, intersex, and bisexual. Nearly half of the entries are by POC (sadly this is rare in queer and trans anthologies so it deserves mentioning). Full review on my blog!
Megan
Solid collection of essays spanning many health-related topics from many perspectives (ace, bi, queer, trans, intersex // mental illness, repro, and many other health issues // lots of POC authors) including both patients and providers, and many different writing modes, including poetry and personal writing alongside more analytical/academic essays. Canadian and Canada-centered. Very glad this exists.
Kimberly
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: readbroader2017
This book certainly covers an important topic of which I am mainly ignorant. It provides a variety of view points from this community. I found it a useful reminder for people in health care to be conscious of how they interact with ALL patients. There is a chapter about a patient receiving cancer treatment that I could personally relate to and it wasn't a perception limited to only a trans-gendered person's perspective but could easily have been any type of person undergoing the humiliating ...more
Niaz
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
O Canada... Of course I knew Canada had its ups and downs with the LGBTQ community, but man was this an eye-opener. I chose this book on a whim and I never gave queer people's relationship with health care much thought, but now I can't believe I'd been blind for so long.

It's a powerful book because it's full of personal stories and essays by queer Canadians that chose to share their experiences with abuse, trauma, disease, mental health, etc. I'd recommend it.
Hannah
This anthology is a solidly curated collection of perspectives and stories. As I texted my girkfriend last week, "queers always do healthcare via gossip," and I love that femme powerhouse Zena has found a way to bring our longstanding traditions of gossip as life-saving knowledge-sharing into an accessible, educational read that should appear in every medicine and psychology curriculum. In particular, I appreciated the lens of power/authority located in the institution of health, and the ...more
Julie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all health practitioners (and a recommenced read for all others). I learned a lot from reading this book including several ideas/concepts to reflect upon that will likely change my clinical practice. I am really excited about POCA and community models of care; how, if at all, can this concept be better translated to family medicine. I do feel that some CHCs are creating / trying to create similar spaces but as far as Im aware the majority of interactions between patients and ...more
Bogi Takács
This was great, really outspoken, really intersectional; I wish it would have been twice as long. My only qualm was that the typography seemed sized for a different book. o.O?

Longer review hopefully soon IY"H!

Source of the book: Anonymous Benefactor purchased it for me from my wishlist!
Brook
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of healthcare system tips, personal tales, healing, interviews, poetry, and a lot of love. This is a must-read if you're queer, trans, a healthcare professional, or love someone who is any or all of the three. This book deals with complex trauma, intersectional health, systemic barriers and generational pain. I loved reading this, and had trouble putting it down. Thanks again Zena.
(Many of my friends have work in this book, but that means I read it with the hope they had
Corvus
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this anthology. I read an advanced review copy in PDF form, so there was one thing- a comic I believe- that I could not read because the graphic in the file froze my ereader. That's the only part I cannot review. The rest of the book was lovely.

Remedy is a collection of authors from diverse identities and backgrounds sharing healthcare tips for LGBTQ... folks and their providers, experiences with healthcare and healthcare systems, and interviews with people doing really cool
Allison
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
"In discussing bodies, not identities, we can allow people to exist in the social world as they choose, while retaining our capacity to understand and address..."

"If there is a collective noun for my people, it could be a stubborn. Never mess with a stubborn of queers."

"This might not be 'the remedy,' but your ability to communicate your story, to relate to the stranger(s) in front of you is probably the one most immediate tool you have. And you have a small window of opportunity."

"We see you.
We
Véronique
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The Remedy is a book that all health care providers should read, with a critical eye. There are excellent pieces in here about the difficulties queer and trans people experience with providers, especially for people who are multiply marginalized, and how that can be improved. There are also pieces about different projects to help queer and trans people obtain care. As well, there are personal essays that are larded with current social justice jargon. I know and understand it, and I get weary of ...more
Joan Conte
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book didn't teach me new things but it did make me feel good. It tells stories of Queer and Trans folks in medical settings. It includes good experiences. It also points out the rarity of good medical practices. It focuses on intersectionality. It is the voices of so many diverse people. It shows us how community is the keystone for queers. I felt solidarity in this anthology. I felt like someone "got it" and suddenly I could find room to express my own frustrations. I hope more medical ...more
Jimi
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a person of the LGBT community, I have felt and experienced similar issues gaining access to healthcare. Many may think that LGBT have come a long way, however, we still have a long way to go-healthcare isnt a privilege, its a right and we shouldnt have to worry about ignorance affecting treatment or our ability to access quality care. This book helps shed light on the many issues we still face and also how the healthcare community needs to be better. ...more
Lydia
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer-health
I loved this book! there are so many different perspectives on queer and trans folks health, and so many pieces written by POC. really important voices to hear. I'm so glad I read it before going to medical school. I've read the research on queer and trans people's experiences in the health Care system, but this book is so much more valuable because it is their interpretation of their experiences, not a researcher's.
Shea Buckley
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a formative read for me as a aspiring healthcare provider and queer and trans individual. Incredibly important voices: opinions, experiences, healthcare strategies, and more. Definitely would recommend for anyone even remotely interested in healthcare, the intense inequalities within it, and/or trans and queer life.
Hermes Aponte
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an eye-opening anthology about queer and trans experiences in healthcare settings. It should be a must-read for anyone planning to work in healthcare so that they can gain competency in such topics. No one should feel afraid nor expect to be discriminated against when trying to access health services.
Fifi
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: queer, sexuality, trans
This is such an important book -- it's an amazing collection of experiences with, perspectives on, approaches to and initiatives in queer and trans health that really illustrates where we're at, where we need to be, and how we might get there. Just incredible. Thank you so much to everyone involved for this gift. A must read for absolutely everyone!
Chris
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of short pieces covering queer and trans responses to healthcare - personal and systemic, queer-centred, positive and negative. Many pieces were from Indigenous and people of colour - although the experiences were skewed to North American settings.
Madi
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The medical-industrial complex leaves trans and gender variant bodies yearning for attendance to needs long-ignored."
emmy
Jun 18, 2019 marked it as blog-recs
Included in a blog post and resource list at https://booksbeyondbinaries.blog/2019...
Tory Cross
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is truly one of the greatest books I've read - I use it in my work regularly and I take it with me most places that I go. This should be required reading for everyone in healthcare.
Harrison McNaughtan
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Amazing collection. Variety of perspectives on an important topic.
Sinclair
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Essential.
Mills College Library
362.10866 R386 2016
Kaity Molé
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This essay compilation should be required reading for anyone working in health, wellness or medicine. Even though a large portion of the contributors were Canadian, a country with a vastly different health care system, I found them very applicable to my experiences as a queer person working in healthcare in the US and as a queer person living with chronic illness. I really loved in particular the essays by Fayza Bundalli, Ariel Estrella and Lisa Baird. Beautiful writing, beautiful insight, ...more
Ghaida Moussa
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
More like 3.7. A little uneven in quality and interest for me but definitely an important book containing some great intro pieces to teach. Some beautiful accounts of struggle and survival. The piece 'Listen' is my favourite, alone enough to read. Some really cool bits of history in the community acupuncture piece too.
Alissa
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some incredibly inspiring pieces, some incredibly pained ones. My one wish is for more actionable steps from some of the writers -- how can providers help other than learning more and gaining experience?
elissa
Nov 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: nonfiction
Recommended by a student at the massage school where I teach. Looks really good.
Beth
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
26 Books Challenge: A book that will improve a specific area of your life. This is an important read for allies and folks in the medical feed.
Meg
May 24, 2017 added it
One theme that came through strong in this collection is that of community. Healing communities, care communities, medical communities. also, be prepared to have your heart broken a little.

• Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds
  • Care Work: Dreaming Disability Justice
  • Gender Queer
  • I'm Afraid of Men
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • The Ethical Slut: A Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities
  • Queering Sexual Violence: Radical Voices from Within the Anti-Violence Movement
  • As Black As Resistance: Finding the Conditions for Liberation
  • The Autobiography of a Transgender Scientist
  • Occupational Ghettos: The Worldwide Segregation of Women and Men
  • Epidemiology and the People's Health: Theory and Context
  • The Wisest One in the Room: How You Can Benefit from Social Psychology's Most Powerful Insights
  • Joyful Militancy: Building Thriving Resistance in Toxic Times
  • Even this Page is White
  • Persistence: All Ways Butch and Femme
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • Broad Strokes: 15 Women Who Made Art and Made History (in That Order) (Gifts for Artists, Inspirational Books, Gifts for Creatives)

News & Interviews