Start by marking “Wicked Weeds: A Zombie Novel” as Want to Read:
Wicked Weeds: A Zombie Novel

Wicked Weeds: A Zombie Novel

Set at the contact zones between Haiti and the Dominican Republic, this is a polyphonic novel, an intense and sometimes funny pharmacopeia of love lost and humanity regained; a most original combination of Caribbean noir and science-fiction addressing issues of global relevance including novel takes on ecological/apocalyptical imbalance bound to make an impact.

A Caribbean
Published November 15th 2016 by Mandel Vilar Press (first published May 14th 2011)

Start your review of Wicked Weeds: A Zombie Novel
l.
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
It had promise but unfortunately, it was written by a man.
dianne
This is not your little brother's zombie novel, it is an amazing, thoughtful, philosophical, playful story of great imagination.

“Our five senses are not portals through which we are conveyed to an external reality, but rather ports that receive stimuli utterly lacking in intrinsic qualities, that our brains adorn in accordance with evolutionary requirements in order to present them as Truth.”

So we are trained, according to current requirements, in just how the stimuli we receive are True.

This
Caroline
Hmmm. Interesting.

I read the chapters in the order 'suggested' by the scrapbook contents page, in spite of the caution in the prefatory 'Warning' that this 'convenience' ( grouping like things together) could be lethal. Unless I have unbeknownst to myself turned into a zombie, i survived the experience.
❄Elsa Frost❄
I get it, but I don't get it. Does that make sense?
Miriam
May 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
There’s a review on here where someone says that the premise is interesting, unfortunately it’s a book written by a man. And I couldn’t agree more with that sentiment.

Here’s a quote from page 14 where the main character is describing a female colleague of his: “The hand at her hip cause her lab coat to open slightly, exposing a thin, floral print dress that just barely managed to contain the flawless bulk of her jet-black breasts” and unfortunately the whole book continues this way. The women a
Nadine
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book starts with a warning: if you read the pages in numerical order, “you will wind up in chaos”; if you follow the page order in the table of contents where chapters are grouped by category, you will be delivered to a “safe harbor”, but “this convenience, however, could be lethal.” I picked possible death over chaos and took the table of contents route, but I’d love to compare notes with someone who read the pages in order. I wonder if a page order reading would be more confusing at first, ...more
Lindsy
This book was weird, but not in the way I usually like. More weird/puzzling. I feel like I totally missed something, but I don't know what. Even though I read it "out of order" using the table of contents as my compass (as indicated in the introduction), I found it - quite simply put - boring.

At least I'm able to check off another box on my reading challenge list..."read a book with a genre/sub-genre you've never heard of" (a hard one for me find, but I'd never heard of an ethnobotanist sub-gen
Gina Franco
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro es evidencia de que existe una levísima separación entre mundos... Muy recomendado.
Bjorn
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: puerto-rico
Intriguing spin on the zombie genre, spliced together from both different in-story sources and from different concepts - Haitian history and culture, zombie popculture and lore, basic existentialism and Buffy-like questions of what a soul is, and any conceptual idea that can hijack zombies as metaphors. Just lacks that one idea to bring it all together.

The living dead does not sate his hunger, but rather, transmits it. His actions are crude efforts aimed at converting the zombie from the except
Jillian
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The female characters were too "sexy lamp" for my taste...the book almost subverted that trope but didn't quite get there. But it was a fun read, and nice to have a zombie book that isn't horror.
Brandon Prince
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: latin-america
Excellent genre novel that deserves comparison to Bioy Casares. Impressive multi-voiced blend of horror, Haitian folk culture, and phenomenology -- all couched within a comedy of workplace gender relations with a zombie twist. Also includes a 'Hopscotch'-style alternate chapter order.
camilla
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2017, world-lit
I actually liked this a bit by the end but it took me soooo long to get there. My real issue with this novel is the framework or organization. Despite the beginning of the book telling me not to read the book in a linear fashion, that's exactly what I did. BECAUSE IT'S A BOOK. Read front to back this book is a mess. I kept getting distracted and confused who was narrating and what we were talking about. And you know what? At the end I flipped back to that warning in the beginning and read some s ...more
Soy Literatura...
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Las tres Gracias", una de las últimas pinturas de Rubens nos dan un preludio de lo que sucede. El amor, la belleza, la sexualidad, la vida en lucha constante serán claves para estos personajes.Un ser, extraño e ignorante de la situaciones que le rodean, y los misteriosos pasados de cada personaje nos mantendrá super atentos hasta llegar al final. No te arrepentirás...
Tori-Lynn
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked up Wicked Weeds. Labelled as a novel caught in the crossroads of Caribbean noir and science-fiction, it promised to be something I’ve never experience before. I engulfed the novel in a single sitting, and when it was over I found myself in an absolute daze. This book packs a punch few novels on my bookshelves possess. There is not a single wasted page or stray paragraph.

Our “undead” protagonist is a curious man. Obsessed with finding a cure that would
Danny R.
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ASjfadnkbadf, es todo lo que tengo para decir. No, mentira.

Wow, primera incursión con Cabiya y estoy gratamente sorprendida. Para empezar, la novela está estructurada de manera interesante, tipo Rayuela, y el lector tiene libertades para abordar la lectura aunque también hay un camino sugerido. El que yo tomé, de principio a fin y no desordenado (porque soy dispersa y me habría perdido).

La historia cuenta varias historias al mismo tiempo, aunque por supuesto estas tienen puntos y momentos en com
Sean Kottke
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, read-harder
A zombie novel with a difference, this one is structured in such a way as to afford different interpretations depending on the order in which one reads the chapters. I'm glad I opted to read this one in English, as there was enough ambiguity in the story that would have been doubly complicated by ambiguities of gender in Spanish verb endings (particular in third-person singular). If Garcia Marquez had taken a swing at telling a story like Warm Bodies, this is what might have resulted. The narrat ...more
Anca
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book sure delivered what it promised: Caribbean noir and science-fiction about what makes a zombie and how it can be cured. We get the modern science answer and the folktales answer as well.
The book is funny in places it could have been sad and entertaining in places it could have been boring (like the references to modern “zombie culture” in both books and movies).
There were two ways of reading the book - the traditional way, front to back or an alternate one, based on categories. I chos
Carly Crawford
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift. It’s one that I never would have picked up on my own, but it sounded interesting from the moment I read the flap. It did not disappoint.

This book surprised me and fascinated me. It’s a clever and self-award take on the zombie fascination in our society.
elizabeth tobey
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was my second indie press horror book just to cover all my bases and it was EXCELLENT.
Sam Mauro
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
70/100

Every night and every morn, some to misery are born. Every morn and every night, some are born to sweet delight. Some are born to sweet delight; some are born to endless night.
Kookie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very different kind of zombie novel. It took me a while to get a hang of the structure, but I ended up really enjoying it.
Rebekah Franklin
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool! 4 stories interspersed randomly (?), but readable when following the order listed in the scrapbook contents.
Donald McEwing
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific book! Picked it up at the local library, and found myself reading, not just an outstanding zombie novel, but an outstanding novel. It is a real pleasure to find a book that takes a page or two to examine color perception in terms of cognitive psychology- from the viewpoint of a zombie! Or go into a short aside about the story of Pinocchio as a parable about the undead striving to come to life. Gems like this might only occupy a paragraph or two, but the book is full of them. The ...more
Nadia
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Zombie's search for lost humanity and the intellectual quest of the only "woman" who can bestow it. That spells out pure wickedness, spiked with wit, literary storytelling and a wee bit of unsettlement. Pure awesomeness :)
Rachel Cordasco
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-translation, sff
Does this thing do ten stars? *bangs ferociously on keyboard*
Tony Raful

• A Land without Jasmine
  • Powers of Darkness: The Lost Version of Dracula
  • The Shadow of the Sun
  • Cárcel de amor · Arnalte y Lucenda · Sermón
  • Younger Skin Starts in the Gut: 4-Week Program to Identify and Eliminate Your Skin-Aging Triggers - Gluten, Wine, Dairy, and Sugar
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 1: The Middle Ages through the Restoration & the Eighteenth Century
  • La Celestina
  • You Can Drop It!: How I Dropped 100 Pounds Enjoying Carbs, Cocktails  Chocolate–and You Can Too!
  • Álbum de familia
  • Don Juan Tenorio
  • Libro de Buen Amor
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Volume 2: The Romantic Period through the Twentieth Century
  • The Vet's Daughter
  • The Night Visitors
  • Borderline
  • Down These Mean Streets
Escritor, poeta y guionista. Nace el 2 de noviembre de 1971. Irrumpe en el mundo literario con el libro de cuentos Historias tremendas (Isla Negra 1999), galardonado Mejor Libro del Año por Pen Club International. En años subsiguientes publica Historias atroces (Isla Negra 2003), y las novelas Trance (Norma 2007), La cabeza (Isla Negra 2005)y Malas hierbas (Zemí Book, 2011); todas han adquirido st ...more

News & Interviews